Found Alive WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #40

Status
Not open for further replies.
That should have happened immediately, not later. The social worker even told the operator that. Hospitals are a good safe location. The victim can receive treatment and be interviewed by police at the same time in the hospital.

They removed her from the scene right away for safety. Did they take her somewhere else first besides the hospital?

Do they still make chains for tires to use on ice? Grew up in the north, had snow tires from November to April, but also had chains for ice. We lived on top of a mountain and I never walked it, those chains were wonderful!

Why would LE not use them in rural WI to be able to get to the far out places? If it was rural, there probably wasn’t such a thing as road service to clear the roads. Any ideas?

Acually they make tires with tiny sharp spikes that cut right into the ice. I dont know why emergency vehicles wouldn't have them, but in our area, they have been outlawed for regular citizens. Some people wouldn't remove them in the spring, and they chew up the cement on the roads.

b

I have to agree that I was perplexed by that question when I listened to the call. Maybe it was just a poor choice of a word used by the operator trying to determine if Jayme had just escaped and was seeking help, opposed to trying to determine if Jayme just appeared calmly seeking assistance. I don't know, clearly Jayme indicated who she was and asked for help immediately upon encountering the dog walker. I too thought it was an odd question, but we also have subsequently learned that the 911 operator immediately knew of the "gravity" of the call and learning Jayme was found and alive probably shocked her as much as much as it shocked all of when the news broke.
Maybe she asked if she was running in order to determine if Patterson was following her so she could alert LE and they would know if he was on foot, in the woods, or approximate location. Imo

Do they still make chains for tires to use on ice? Grew up in the north, had snow tires from November to April, but also had chains for ice. We lived on top of a mountain and I never walked it, those chains were wonderful!

Why would LE not use them in rural WI to be able to get to the far out places? If it was rural, there probably wasn’t such a thing as road service to clear the roads. Any ideas?

Chains cause driving to be very slow. In my experience, they are used / were used in places and eras without any, or much, snow plowing equipment. I'd imagine that the highways and main roads there are kept plowed, as they are in the neighboring state where I reside.

Yes, that's it. I feel like many of us have explained this but instead of hearing, "I am taking THIS particular publication's story with a grain of salt, though I still believe the guy is a psychopath", people are hearing, "I don't believe he's capable of doing such a thing." And around and around we go.
It never would have occurred to me that someone, anyone, would assume that. I'm glad it was brought up so we could clear the air on that misconception.

I'm guessing the only police car that was doing 100, was probably the one that was 45-miles away. I do wonder if some of the deputies had to be summoned from their homes. In these little counties, they generally only keep a couple deputies on duty at a given time during the day.. The one that was 45-miles away, may have been a state car. I'm sure they would have tried to pull a city unit as well.

Last edited:
Sometimes I think when things this terrible happens, we as humans aren't satisfied with one mere human being held responsible. I admit, I'm guilty of those feelings at times. We seek ways to find more people to blame because the crime is so unfathomable and big. So, LE failed to stop a random car as they sped toward an unknown crime. They failed to publicize info about that car during the investigation. LE wasn't fast enough getting to an escaped Jayme. His parents enabled him. His parents should've known he was dangerous and worked incessantly to get him "help". Teachers, neighbors, family, friends all ignored clear red flags. And on and on.

Thus far the reality is I can;t see that anyone dropped the ball or didn't do what they were supposed to. I thought the response was great by LE in a rural area like that. But man, even knowing the outcome, listening to the call, you just feel this anxiety, like "Hurry! Before he comes back!!!"

Amen.

Perhaps she was trying to find out if she was being chased which would have made the situation much more urgent.

Good theory, but I believe the question was, "Does she look like she is going to run?". I think the operator was sceptical. I think the operator thought it was a hoax.

They are trained, but tires are tires and laws of physics and friction still apply, even in Wisconsin for the best trained LE.

Well anyway they shouldn't be claiming that they were traveling over 100 mph, if they weren't.

I'm not at all impressed. She was slow as hell. It took 30 minutes to get them there. That is not quickly. She asked all the typical dumb questions that 911 operators ask today.

I'm more impressed with the caller who was a social worker and was coordinating what help was needed. The operator made her justify why medical help was needed. The social worker pointed out that she should be treated for shock and hypothermia . The 911 operator still blew her off and didn't send that help. That is just bad training. At very least paramedics should be sent to check out a victim of a violent crime. That is just common knowledge.

Respectfully, I could not disagree with you more. The 911 operator had to ask questions and rely on answers provided by the caller to assess the situation, and it was a fluid situation. She, 911, remained on the phone until officers arrived as is the typical case in order to stay apprised and on top of the situation, 911 did not know if Jake was going to show up and blow everyone away, nor did occupants of the house and the occupants had expressed concern about their safety. I do not see 911 making the caller justify why Jayme needed help, I see 911 wanting to be apprised of Jayme's condition so that she could relay to paramedics what to be prepared for, for all 911 knew Jayme could have had a gaping shot gun blast to her chest and so she asked why paramedics were needed. All in all, I thought 911 was outstanding and I want to add that 911 is not at all responsible for how long it took for LE to arrive. There is nothing in the call that indicates when 911 dispatched officers, in my mind it would have been immediately. This 911 operator knew full well that the call was regarding Jayme Closs.

Last edited:
Well anyway they shouldn't be claiming that they were traveling over 100 mph, if they weren't.
They didn't claim it, it was logged in the official log that they are required to keep. You were assuming they were sitting at the station, and as we see in the logs that were posted by another poster, they weren't.

Good theory, but I believe the question was, "Does she look like she is going to run?". I think the operator was sceptical. I think the operator thought it was a hoax.

Earlier that day it had already been falsely reported that Jayme was found alive. IF the operator was skeptical, and I don't have a feeling about it one way or the other, that may have been why.

They may not have been averaging 100mph but none of us know if they reached speed of 100mph. I would be surprised if there was not in fact times that they were traveling at a high rate of speed, most likely between towns and on straight stretches of road where there was little traffic and no ice or snow. MOO

My 1st thought was she was just assessing the situation and I don't think she thought it was a hoax at all. She asked for the address right away and put them on hold at approx 25 seconds into the call and then again at 52 seconds which is when she was probably dispatching and relaying info to the deputies. Up until that day nobody knew hardly any details of this horrible crime and JC had been missing 3 months with every possible resource used to find her. The dispatcher was probably just making sure she wasn't going to get scared and try to run away, not knowing the situation, or what kind of frame of mind JC was in.

Takes place outside USA and "It's especially important for public safety officials to know the limits of their vehicles and how the safety systems act, however, and that's what the Volvo Academy aims to send them off with."

This article does not = teaching police how to drive fast on ice and snow. It teaches them the limits of their vehicles on ice and snow. Key word, imo, "limits." This just addresses the original complaint that LE took too long and should have driven faster. Sure, knowing how to maneuver through a skid on ice is a good thing to know but, once you start skidding on ice on public roads, the only sane thing to do is slow down a bit, imo.
I would love to see the communication coordination between all involved in the one 911 call. I agree with those who say they did a commendable job and all turned out well.
JMO.

Last edited:

I think she was skeptical, but I don't think that means she thought it was a hoax. She had to ask clarifying questions to be sure she understood what was going on - she would in any situation, IMO.

Respectfully, I could not disagree with you more. The 911 operator had to ask questions and rely on answers provided by the caller to assess the situation, and it was a fluid situation. She, 911, remained on the phone until officers arrive as is the typical case in order to stay apprised and on top of the situation, 911 did not know if Jake was going to show up and blow everyone away, nor did occupants of the house and the occupants had expressed concern about their safety. I do not see 911 making the caller justify why Jayme needed help, I see 911 wanting to be apprised of Jayme's condition so that she could relay to paramedics what to be prepared for, for all 911 knew Jayme could have had a gaping shot gun blast to her chest and so she asked why paramedics were needed. All in all, I thought 911 was outstanding and I want to add that 911 is not at all responsible for how long it took for LE to arrive. There is nothing in the call that indicates when 911 dispatched officers, in my mind it would have been immediately. This 911 operator knew full well that the call was regarding Jayme Closs

Like I said, I respectfully disagree. It is interesting how differently all of us view or interpret events...that's all.

All of this!

Plus, this is a very rural area. I'm not sure how many people have truly lived in a rural area on this board and experienced emergency responses. I lived in a very rural area for most of my childhood/young adulthood. My Dad was a volunteer ambulance driver. The police were on their way VERY shortly after the call came in. It just took that long for them to actually arrive. This is not unusual in rural areas. For that matter, I live in a first tier suburb of a major metropolitan area now. We had a man physically trying to break into our home (slamming his body against our door) while I was on the phone with 911. It took police about 10 minutes to actually arrive at our home. That was half the time it took them to get to Jayme. IMO, they arrived ASAP.

We need to remember that the amazing people who responded to Jayme's escape were just that, people. They aren't machines. Even the most experienced, best trained professionals will have a physiological reaction to stressful situations.

As an RN, I've been in many emergency "crisis" situations. After the event, we usually have a debriefing to try to evaluate if and where there are areas that would allow us to improve performance in future events. The purpose is NOT to identify error and assign blame, but to understand why actions and decisions made sense to clinicians in the moment. I'm guessing LE has a similar system in place. I can't imagine the stress all involved were under and personally I'm thankful for every last one of the people involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie