The British Royal Family - news, views, clothes & shoes! #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
When we were in London, we found the food quite bland, being used to Southwest Tex-Mex. We felt we were in heaven when we found an Indian restaurant, with "Knock your Knickers off" curry! Hot! They served it with a yogurt drink.

The Queen is missing out.b

I agree about the bland food in London. It was better in Ireland and we found a Chinese restaurant there. I’m sure we could have done better in London, but the food suited our 7 year old at the time (1978). :)

I suspect that the Queen has had pizza at least once in her travels. When in Rome...or NYC? She probably had BBQ had the Texas ranch of the late President Bush.

I agree about the bland food in London. It was better in Ireland and we found a Chinese restaurant there. I’m sure we could have done better in London, but the food suited our 7 year old at the time (1978). :)

I suspect that the Queen has had pizza at least once in her travels. When in Rome...or NYC? She probably had BBQ had the Texas ranch of the late President Bush.
It's probably better now, but when I traveled to England in the 2000s several times, the pizza options were dismally limited. I usually stick to Indian and Asian food when I'm in the UK, if I want something spicy.

However, my trip to the Galway Bay area of Ireland in 2011 is in part memorable for some of the best Italian food I've ever had, in a small fishing village called Ballyvaughan. Here's a link: L'Arco Italian Restaurant | Ballyvaughan, the Burren, County Clare, Ireland

I was thinking maybe she would have had pizza during a visit with the Clintons.

It's probably better now, but when I traveled to England in the 2000s several times, the pizza options were dismally limited. I usually stick to Indian and Asian food when I'm in the UK, if I want something spicy.

However, my trip to the Galway Bay area of Ireland in 2011 is in part memorable for some of the best Italian food I've ever had, in a small fishing village called Ballyvaughan. Here's a link: L'Arco Italian Restaurant | Ballyvaughan, the Burren, County Clare, Ireland

It looks wonderful! We passed by the Burren (amazing) on our way north to Galway and west into Connemara where my Dad’s father was born. His mother was from county Mayo. I’d love to go back. IIRC the Chinese restaurant was in Galway. We also fell in love with soda bread.

It looks wonderful! We passed by the Burren (amazing) on our way north to Galway and west into Connemara where my Dad’s father was born. His mother was from county Mayo. I’d love to go back. IIRC the Chinese restaurant was in Galway. We also fell in love with soda bread.

BBM MMMMMMIrishSodaBread.......*makes Homer Simpson drooly sounds*

:p

Last edited:
OT We stayed in the Burren for a week, on a spiritual retreat. I've written in threads here before about the murder of a missing local village woman that unfolded while we were there. Very memorable trip on so many levels. It was heartwarming to come back every evening from hiking in the Burren to have dinner at L'Arco. George and his family were so lovely to us. He even catered to our special dietary needs exceptionally well!

Just once, I'd like to see an article about Prince Charles at some charity event, and call out in the photo captions that he's wearing a £2500 bespoke suit. Or that William's wearing a £900 sweater knit with wool from the Balmoral sheep while taking Charlotte for her first day of school.

Last edited:
Just once, I'd like to see an article about Prince Charles at some charity event, and call out in the photo captions that he's wearing a £2500 bespoke suit. Or that that William's wearing a £900 sweater knit with wool from the Balmoral sheep while taking Charlotte for her first day of school.

Ha! Indeed. That’ll be the day!

FEAE6EF2-C0CC-4760-80DC-8E8D0CB9F701.jpeg EB7AFD0C-7F6C-4716-8686-4062932A2B7B.jpeg

The Markle sparkle! Meghan glitters in a £3,400 Roland Mouret gown and Diana's bracelet as she joins Harry for a charity performance by Cirque de Soleil at the Royal Albert Hall

Meghan Markle joins Prince Harry at the Royal Albert Hall for Cirque du Soleil | Daily Mail Online

The Daily Mail has updated the article I posted earlier to state the Duchess of Sussex is wearing Princess Diana’s bracelet. It is lovely to see the late Princess’s jewellery still being used it must be quite the collection the Duchess gets to share with the Duchess of Cambridge.

My favourite jewellery the Duchess of Sussex has worn of Princess Diana’s is her aquamarine ring. In my opinion it is stunning and a beautiful coloured stone.

View attachment 164585 View attachment 164586

The Markle sparkle! Meghan glitters in a £3,400 Roland Mouret gown and Diana's bracelet as she joins Harry for a charity performance by Cirque de Soleil at the Royal Albert Hall

Meghan Markle joins Prince Harry at the Royal Albert Hall for Cirque du Soleil | Daily Mail Online

The Daily Mail has updated the article I posted earlier to state the Duchess of Sussex is wearing Princess Diana’s bracelet. It is lovely to see the late Princess’s jewellery still being used it must be quite the collection the Duchess gets to share with the Duchess of Cambridge.

My favourite jewellery the Duchess of Sussex has worn of Princess Diana’s is her aquamarine ring. In my opinion it is stunning and a beautiful coloured stone.

Seriously, another picture with Meghan touching her belly. She acts like she is playing a role, it is reminiscent of Natalie Portman as Anne Boleyn in "The Other Boleyn Girl". Prolifically pregnant with a fecund belly.

She is literally bursting like a puffer fish. Wanting to be sure we all notice the belly! Geez, enough already.

Seriously, another picture with Meghan touching her belly. She acts like she is playing a role, it is reminiscent of Natalie Portman as Anne Boleyn in "The Other Boleyn Girl". Prolifically pregnant with a fecund belly.

She is literally bursting like a puffer fish. Wanting to be sure we all notice the belly! Geez, enough already.

When others here mentioned this earlier, I blew it off and didn't pay much attention. Now, I'm in complete agreement with you: Meghan seems to touch her blossoming belly whenever cameras are focused upon her. We know she's expecting, so it isn't necessary to constantly remind us. She's not the first woman to be "with child", nor will she be the last.

Consider though:
Every time Meghan goes out in public she's under the scrutiny of cameras and her every move is documented.
It's the photo editors of the publications and websites who decide which photos to run. She's certainly not the first public female figure who is pregnant and not the first to have photos run where she is touching her pregnant belly.
Harry is beloved by the public more than many other royals, and expecting a child is a happy occasion to be celebrated by the monarchy and their subjects. (as much as I personally hate that term)
Meghan is a first time mom and is likely unconscious of a lot of the touching of her belly. I suspect a lot of it is instinctively protective (see point #1 above). She may also be of the school that touch is one of the ways moms communicate with their babies in utero. I work with a large number of women in their childbearing years and we always seem to have one or two pregnant at any given time. I notice all of them touching or massaging their bellies pretty regularly.

IMO it's unfair to make this out as something Meghan is doing intentionally for some further agenda.

Just my two pence. :)

Last edited:
When others here mentioned this earlier, I blew it off and didn't pay much attention. Now, I'm in complete agreement with you: Meghan seems to touch her blossoming belly whenever cameras are focused upon her. We know she's expecting, so it isn't necessary to constantly remind us. She's not the first woman to be "with child", nor will she be the last.

Here's another angle to consider: Meghan is 37 and pregnant for the first time after being in the Hollywood/TV public eye for the past 15 years where she was expected to be incredibly skinny and beautiful at all times. Thinness is valued above else in entertainment. She may be self-conscious for the first time in a long time because of the physical changes in her body and may be deliberately calling attention to her pregnant belly defensively - as in, I'm pregnant, not fat.

I don't know if I have shallow friends but I have heard them say so many times, "I'm pregnant, not fat," with this fear that other people will think they've lost their thinness for a reason other than having a baby.

Here's another angle to consider: Meghan is 37 and pregnant for the first time after being in the Hollywood/TV public eye for the past 15 years where she was expected to be incredibly skinny and beautiful at all times. Thinness is valued above else in entertainment. She may be self-conscious for the first time in a long time because of the physical changes in her body and may be deliberately calling attention to her pregnant belly defensively - as in, I'm pregnant, not fat.

I don't know if I have shallow friends but I have heard them say so many times, "I'm pregnant, not fat," with this fear that other people will think they've lost their thinness for a reason other than having a baby.

“Meghan was visiting the animal welfare charity Mayhew in London when she was introduced to an elderly lady called Peggy, who gets visits from their Therapaws therapy dogs at the care home where she lives.

Peggy and Meghan shared a lovely moment talking to each other with Peggy saying: "Lovely lady, you are, may the good Lord always bless you."

Smiling and looking at her baby bump, she added: "And you're a fat lady."

Meghan took it as a compliment - laughing and saying: "I'll take it."

Pregnant Meghan called a 'fat lady' during visit to animal charity

It doesn’t help when members of the public are calling you a “fat lady”. I would have been mortified if I had heard the Duchess being called that.

“Meghan was visiting the animal welfare charity Mayhew in London when she was introduced to an elderly lady called Peggy, who gets visits from their Therapaws therapy dogs at the care home where she lives.

Peggy and Meghan shared a lovely moment talking to each other with Peggy saying: "Lovely lady, you are, may the good Lord always bless you."

Smiling and looking at her baby bump, she added: "And you're a fat lady."

Meghan took it as a compliment - laughing and saying: "I'll take it."

Pregnant Meghan called a 'fat lady' during visit to animal charity

It doesn’t help when members of the public are calling you a “fat lady”. I would have been mortified if I had heard the Duchess being called that.

Awwwwww....but sweet old ladies can get away with stuff like that and it’s cute. She meant it kindly and I think Meghan thought it was funny. I wouldn’t be surprised if she’s like a friend of mine with fairly early dementia. She’s lost her filter and told me the other day to stop flirting with her “boyfriend,” an elderly man in a wheelchair. Her husband was standing next to her and she knew it. And he and I both knew she was kidding, a little inappropriately. I just laughed and told her he was flirting with ME. :)

Consider though:
Every time Meghan goes out in public she's under the scrutiny of cameras and her every move is documented.
It's the photo editors of the publications and websites who decide which photos to run. She's certainly not the first public female figure who is pregnant and not the first to have photos run where she is touching her pregnant belly.
Harry is beloved by the public more than many other royals, and expecting a child is a happy occasion to be celebrated by the monarchy and their subjects. (as much as I personally hate that term)
Meghan is a first time mom and is likely unconscious of a lot of the touching of her belly. I suspect a lot of it is instinctively protective (see point #1 above). She may also be of the school that touch is one of the ways moms communicate with their babies in utero. I work with a large number of women in their childbearing years and we always seem to have one or two pregnant at any given time. I notice all of them touching or massaging their bellies pretty regularly.

IMO it's unfair to make this out as something Meghan is doing intentionally for some further agenda.

Just my two pence. :)

I totally agree. We only see the photos the paper decides we should see. I think I posted an article much earlier about touch being a way of bonding with the baby before birth.

Speaking of “I’m pregnant, not fat,” my dear husband taught school with mostly women. One in particular was pregnant all the time. When teacher meetings started in August one year, he thought she looked pregnant and (stupidly) asked her if she was expecting. She snarled...”No I’m fat, not pregnant.” I read him the riot act when he told me this and cluelessly wondered what he had done wrong. NEVER, EVER ASK A WOMAN IF SHE IS PREGNANT!!! I think he learned his lesson, but I’m not sure she forgave him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong