Found Alive WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know there a lot of old timers here (and by that I mean fellow posters who have been posting for a while, not the elderly, although many of us may be dually diagnosed) who tried and tried to find a way to understand the evidence available from the media, even snapping stills of video from the MSM to try and figure out what happened.

I go back to the chair (not necessarily the ties on it, which were discussed for a long time regarding whether someone was tied to it), but the evidence of splintered wood on the underside was a major clue on how the crime went down, based on the location of where James’ body was found and that a shotgun was used. We speculated and speculated, but until the official complaint was published, most thought is was a handgun because that is typically the weapon used in crimes. Then we hear JP chose a shotgun just for that reason.

The complaint: http://media.graytvinc.com/documents/jayme+closs+complaint.pdf

I have read it twice, now, and the second time was a little easier, but the first time, it was just so awful and shocking.

Mind numbing. I, in no way, expected that was the way it went down. On a scale of 1-10 on how bad the abduction scene was, I would put it at a 10.

I think most, or a lot thought shotgun, and a lot got James murder correct...

I wouldn’t think a billion years, Denise and Jayme would go through what they did...

You could see CIA vs Russian spies being that bizarrely cruel...not a random nut.. still would guess he knew family and was in home... when he taped up denise and Jayme he didn’t say who else is in the house...how does he know 3 is it... according to him it’s just her getting off the bus and he didn’t do recon... not buying it...

I’d look at his mom and relatives search history...

The father of Jake Patterson, accused kidnapper, is apologizing to Jayme Closs and her family. The grief-stricken Patrick Patterson delivered a handwritten note expressing sorrow and shame as Jayme’s family gathered at Jake's arraignment. Jayme’s cousin, JA, said she knows the Patterson family is shell-shocked too. “My heart goes out to them because when these things happen, families don't always know,” said Arnold. “I don't hold any hard feelings against them.”

I think this is awesome the way PP is trying to reach out to the Closs family. He seems to be a man of honor..

That's what I'm thinking. He trusted her. So his "mistake" was not really his at all. A subtle way to blame the victim. Imo
More like his stupidity (thankfully he was stupid in this), in only putting her under the bed with bins and weights that could be kicked away, and telling her he'd be gone for several hours. IMO

Re: dead animals and taxidermy discussion --
While initially, and on the surface, it would seem odd if your child "played" with dead animals, be it roadkill or a mouse the family cat killed, but sometimes it is a mere interest in nature and biology at work. I had a wonderful friend in college who is an incredible artist - animals in particular. As a child, she was fascinated by the insides of animals - muscles, bone structure, and how it all fit inside the body and how it worked. To this day, most of her artwork depicts the inner mechanisms of animals in motion. She is a college professor and an avid animal and nature lover and lives on a farm with numerous pets. As a child, her Dad even gave her a funny nickname related to her interest in picking apart deceased animals, and she is still known more by the nickname than her real name. So, not all kids who exhibit an interest in dead critters wind up becoming off-kilter killers.

I've read several articles on mixed media taxidermy today. It was quite interesting. Happy for your friend, both her abilities and the fact that she didn't get sick from a childhood project, but we aren't discussing the same thing, IMO.

I do not think JP was exercising his artistic skills when he threw a dog's head he preserved on his 12-13 year old GF, nor do I think he was honing his knife when he slashed the mother's tires.

Thanks for sharing your story about your friend. Fascinating. :cool:

I thought they were addressed immediately. Didn't they send emergency medical personnel right away? Isn't that what they are trained to do? Treat people in shock or who are seriously injured?
I can't believe they would take her to the police station and neglect to have her treated. Where is this information coming from? Imo

It's on the tape. The dispatcher diverted the EMS to a staging area, to wait. Then the police then took her out of the area.

Agreed. As to what @mtnlites said, I also sort of thought about the pressure this kid might feel to be strong. I was thinking of writing her a note telling her it's okay to grieve and wonder why her and feel scared and angry and sad.

RBBM

This is so typically you! Not just well educated, but the added bonus of a high emotional intelligence. I often admire your thoughtful posts.

I was the victim of robbery, sexual assault, false imprisonment, etc. in my own home, in the middle of the night. By a stranger who broke in. I wasn't a child, though. And I didn't witness my parents murders...

I had/have wonderful family support, years of counseling, a conviction of the "bad man."

But you hit the nail on the head - when you seem to be recovering well, you get all kinds of positive comments and admiration. It can feel like a let-down to your loved ones if your not "doing great".

It's too much to type from my phone....but wanted to say that a kind note from you may be more important to her than you ever know.

Hugs! Go, girl!

Last edited:
Here's an excellent article on the response timeline.
Douglas Co. Officials explain why Jayme Closs response took so long
From the article:

Clearly, to travel those distances in the timeframes they did, they were driving as fast as the conditions allowed.
Thank you for posting this! It is safe to say when the 3 responding officers, the closest being 28 miles away, the furthest being 45 miles away and able to get there in 30 minutes in January in northern WI is quite remarkable as they each were traveling over 100 MPH. This certainly shows no lack of effort on their part and I think any criticism of the response time is unwarranted. MOO

But they didnt capture JP yet. They wanted to get her out of the area - an area they didn't consider safe - because arguably it wasn't.
Exactly. And that is what the police officer said. I believe the paramedics were at the house, but with this guy still on the loose they couldn't take any risks. First responders are not trained to fend off dangerous criminals. Imo

I think this is awesome the way PP is trying to reach out to the Closs family. He seems to be a man of honor..

I don’t know what to make of PP... he’s not very observant or JP just runs over him...

How do u visit your home 6/7 times and hear music in basement you’ve never heard playing before and not tell your son lemme see downstairs...

Kinda wonder if his dads Saturday visits didn’t factor into his Sunday nite choice ..did his dad stay nite or just go over for lunch ??

I believe he intended on keeping her as long as he could. If he were getting tired of her, he could have killed her. He did tell LE that he would have gotten away with it if he hadn't made a mistake. I think he thought he had pulled off the perfect crime. I do wonder what mistake he was referring to, though. Imo

Then the question would be why didn't he prepare a place to keep her? Ariel Castro boarded all the windows shut, and chained them to beds. This guy just stuffed her under a bed and put boxes around it. He planned every part of the crime in detail, except how to keep her from escaping.

I've read several articles on mixed media taxidermy today. It was quite interesting. Happy for your friend, both her abilities and the fact that she didn't get sick from a childhood project, but we aren't discussing the same thing, IMO.

Totally agree, we aren't talking about the same thing. Just pointing out that some type of early in life interest in dead animals can lead to respectable careers such as taxidermy, art, etc. It shouldn't just be assumed that the childhood interest means your child is a whackola murderer in the making.

I think most, or a lot thought shotgun, and a lot got James murder correct...

I wouldn’t think a billion years, Denise and Jayme would go through what they did...

You could see CIA vs Russian spies being that bizarrely cruel...not a random nut.. still would guess he knew family and was in home... when he taped up denise and Jayme he didn’t say who else is in the house...how does he know 3 is it... according to him it’s just her getting off the bus and he didn’t do recon... not buying it...

I’d look at his mom and relatives search history...
He searched through the whole house and didn't find anyone. He told LE he was prepared to kill anyone else he found in the house to avoid leaving any witnesses. If he had found two other kids in the house I believe he would have shot them too. He said he had planned on having enough bullets, including for LE if necessary. Imo

Exactly. And that is what the police officer said. I believe the paramedics were at the house, but with this guy still on the loose they couldn't take any risks. First responders are not trained to fend off dangerous criminals. Imo

this is correct, MsBetsy. Thank you.

<modsnip>

Now off to that response log with AVL(GPS) data -- much more my wheelhouse!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t know what to make of PP... he’s not very observant or JP just runs over him...

How do u visit your home 6/7 times and hear music in basement you’ve never heard playing before and not tell your son lemme see downstairs...

Kinda wonder if his dads Saturday visits didn’t factor into his Sunday nite choice ..did his dad stay nite or just go over for lunch ??

I think the fact that he was clearly emotionally distraught and felt shame and remorse for his son's actions tells us something about him. He may have been an unobservant/absent/etc father but that does not make him responsible for his son's actions. I'll judge him based on his actions now and whatever comes out in the future. And, a welcome relief after seeing Chris Watts parents in the wake of that tragedy. For now, I see him as a grieving father. I really hope Sue Klebold reaches out to him to give advice on how to navigate this.

MOO

I believe he intended on keeping her as long as he could. If he were getting tired of her, he could have killed her. He did tell LE that he would have gotten away with it if he hadn't made a mistake. I think he thought he had pulled off the perfect crime. I do wonder what mistake he was referring to, though. Imo

BBM. I wonder if he might have forgotten to turn on the radio when he left that day? Jayme said he turned on the radio in his room whenever he had people over so she couldn't hear much of what was going on in the rest of the house. I wonder if he also turned on the radio whenever he left the house but told her he was having "friends" over during those times he had to be gone. He also could make it seem like people were in the house by turning on a tv downstairs. I wonder if he never actually had any friends over at all? MOO.

Last edited:
He searched through the whole house and didn't find anyone. He told LE he was prepared to kill anyone else he found in the house to avoid leaving any witnesses. If he had found two other kids in the house I believe he would have shot them too. He said he had planned on having enough bullets, including for LE if necessary. Imo

Ughhh.... thanks... so the whole 5 ft in the house was never even close to fact ... just Fitzgerald misdirection ???

Totally agree, we aren't talking about the same thing. Just pointing out that some type of interest in dead animals can lead to respectable careers such as taxidermy, art, etc. It shouldn't just be assumed that the childhood interest means your child is a whackola murderer in the making.
Well, I guess that's true but it is also a fact that many serial killers begin with killing or mutilating small animals as children. So in my opinion, it's not a very good sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77