Found Alive WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #40

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe he just came by to check things out, and make sure JP wasnt destroying the place. Also, if JP usually displays weird behavior; PP may have thought nothing of the music.
Maybe JP's dad went weekly to take psychiatric meds to him. He also may have been taking food since dude had no job. He may not have stayed long at all since his son had an anger problem. They probably didn't sit around and talk football! MOO

It’s funny you say that. I still can’t wrap my head around him actually telling her that he was leaving and how long he would be gone. And just the method he used to keep her “locked up”. Although she is only 13 and it took an amazing amount of courage for her to save herself, it was luckily (and thankfully) easy enough to push the bins and walk out the door. I feel like he wanted her to escape? But that doesn’t make sense either. But, whatever...she is one amazing girl!!!!

Didn't he tell her that he was gonna be gone about 4-6 hours that day she escaped ?

Yes, he told her he was going to be gone for 4-6 hours but he wasn't actually gone that long. Why did he return so soon? It's certainly possible his mistake was telling her he was leaving and for how long, but I wonder if there was something else he forgot? Did he change his mind and return sooner? Or was he testing her on that particular day when he returned less than 30 minutes later? I feel like the 4-6 hours might have been a lie on his part-- either that or he told her that by mistake and then realized after leaving the house he should not have told her that.

I also wonder about Jayme being able to find and put on his shoes. Perhaps other times he left he did not leave any shoes out where she could find them easily. Being barefoot in a snowy wooded area and not knowing how far it was to the nearest house would have made it more difficult for Jayme to leave. That she had the presence of mind to immediately get out from under the bed when he was gone, find shoes and then leave as quickly as possible to find help on that particular day is amazing. MOO.

I know it’s stretch, but I’d hope he donates brain to science see if theres any CTE or damage from wrestling.... that’s a high concussion activity and u can easily brake internal structures and if enough tau proteins spread it can cause havoc..that doesn’t fix itself... I know it’s long shot...and probably not related...but those with severe CTE are really walking with damaged software...
Not likely. I believe CTE occurs as a result of hundreds of those tiny concussions over many years, which is why it takes so long to develop symptoms. At least that's what I gathered from reading about the Dr. who discovered it, Bennet Omalu. Imo

Maybe JP's dad went weekly to take psychiatric meds to him. He also may have been taking food since dude had no job. He may not have stayed long at all since his son had an anger problem. They probably didn't sit around and talk football! MOO
I doubt he was taking any psychotropic meds.
But you could be right, he may have just stayed an hour, not necessarily to socialize. Maybe he even thought his son was working. It wouldn't surprise me if JP was lying to him.
Or maybe his living there was conditional; he had to work, and that's why he had just applied for the job. Maybe he used the computer at his mom's house, if he didn't have one himself. Imo

If he was bringing JP medicine I dont think he was taking it. If he was, we might not have this thread. Maybe PP was dropping by to tell him to get a job, and ask him when the hell he was going to get out of his cabin.

Nevertheless, I dont know why people keep saying that JP planned his crime so well. He basically drove to someone's house and murdered them. Then after kidnapping their daughter, he brought her to his family's cabin, and locked her under his bed.

The guy is basically a crackpot. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for what he did. Except for the fact that if he would have gotten away with it, he would have done it again. Like I said before, I wouldn't be surprised if we learn that he's committed other similar crimes in the past.

He was basically a serial boogeyman in the making. He makes Richard Ramirez look like a good samaritan. He's what nightmares are made of.

A real life Fred Crouger.

Last edited:
Sometimes they start with animals that they find already dead before they work their way up to killing them. It's not uncommon, especially if they are really young. It can start with just a fascination and curiousity. Sometimes that's when they discover they have an interest and then make the decision to kill their own. Eventually it becomes an urge that they find hard to resist. Yet they know it's not quite right so they do it in secret. It's very disturbing. Imo

This is absolutely true. We both know and agree, of course, that it's the matter of degree and of frequency, whether normal curious or unhealthy obsession which leads from a dead thing to a living thing to taking a 13 year old girl and keeping her caged up like an animal. I do believe he likely killed animals. I think it's pretty clear because of what he was not squeamish about which is already known, both as a child and an adult who shot two fine people like the Closs parents almost point blank with a 12 gauge shotgun.

He is anti-social personality disordered, or a psychopath, and he likely did very cruel and harsh things of which we are not yet aware and may never have to know when Jayme was his hostage.
Thanks for understanding what I was saying. I will not post about dead animals again unless new info comes to us. It's extremely distressing to think a child's mind could form so twisted as JPs has.
I have maybe never said this because I thought it was a foregone conclusion based on my posts, but I definitely think he was going to kill Jayme.
The miracle is that she lived 88 days, didn't ever cross him and get murdered, and that one thing maybe changed on the day she decided to keep on trying to get out from under his twin sized child's bed.

BARRON, Wis. --
The grandfather of a Wisconsin girl who was kidnapped after her parents were killed in October said Wednesday that he appreciates the sympathy being expressed by the suspect's father.

Robert Naiberg's granddaughter, 13-year-old Jayme Closs, escaped from a remote cabin in northwest Wisconsin late last week, nearly three months after she was abducted from her family's home. Investigators allege the suspect , 21-year-old son Jake Patterson, targeted the girl after first spotting her getting on a school bus.

"You can't blame the parents," Naiberg told The Associated Press. "A guy becomes 21 years old, and sometimes it's not how he was raised or anything."
Jake Patterson's dad has letter for Jayme Closs family

I was referring to the possibility of Patterson having CTE after a few months of wrestling. It usually takes years and involves repeated blows to the head. Imo

Your likely right, I’m no CTE expert, and whatever sluether said attempting to apply logic to illogical won’t work... still think it’s worth looking at his head... planning this out and not being able to keep job... confusing

Not a shrink... but likely disconnect after parents divorce ....with marines dream dying being nail in coffin to complete withdrawal...

How he plays computer games and avoids smart phones is stunning... it’s almost like he subconsciously knew he’d end up
Doing this 5 yrs ago...the rest was just going through motions..

This criminal surprises me, why didn't he keep Jayme locked down with plastic ties, chains, padlocks?
Who knows? Sick psychopath.

RSBM.
I think it was a really simple part of his personality. He was too lazy to secure her tightly.

Also, I think she likely was extremely quiet and compliant, which gives an already abducted victim their best chance of survival in an isolated area with their captor. She wouldn't know that, but her reasons for being quiet would definitely include her parents' deaths in front of her ( at least Denise's) and she saw her dad's bloody trail. Also, at first, she was described to us by her family as being shy. Then, she was scared so badly there are no words.

I tend to think she knew it was a rural area... She would have heard highway noise, airport traffic patterns, and other night time activity when he was asleep if she'd been in a densely populated suburban or urban area. You learn to listen for signs if you can't see anything, or, actually, I think it's instinctual. Anyway, I think she did evaluate her surroundings as best she could with the shock trauma and grief from her parents' deaths.

IF she had been a bit older, she likely would have known that he had no friends over, maybe just his dad dropping groceries off and some cash for the week. I wouldn't be surprised if those times weren't exceptionally tense for both due to JP not working, on PP's side of things, and for JP, the fact that he had a hostage in his bedroom. The lady who was a neighbor who talked on the 911 tape said " OH NO, we do NOT go into that house." The implication seemed to be " No one goes there, it's not the place you want to be". Jayme was so brave and strong!! I can't imagine how cold and scared she must have been for a very long time both in that neglected older house with a psychopath regulating the temperature of her environment and then so cold when she went running out for help, not dressed for the weather.. She did what she could with what she had and that is my definition of a successful person in a crisis. :cool:

If he was bringing JP medicine I dont think he was taking it. If he was, we might not have this thread. Maybe PP was dropping by to tell him to get a job, and ask him when the hell he was going to get out of his cabin.

Nevertheless, I dont know why people keep saying that JP planned his crime so well. He basically drove to someone's house and murdered them. Then, after kidnapping their daughter, he brought her to his family's cabin, and locked her under his bed.

The guy is basically a crackpot. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for what he did. Except for the fact that: if he would have gotten away with it, he would have done it again. Like I said before, I wouldn't be surprised if we learn that he's committed other similar crimes in the past.

He was basically a serial boogeyman in the making. He makes Richard Ramirez look like a good samaritan.
Yet I think LE believes the crime took a lot of planning, most likely weeks, and he took deliberate and calculated steps to carry out his plan.
It does seem that way, as he was careful to wipe the bullets so as not to leave DNA, disguise himself, wear gloves, he drove by on two other occasions to attack but decided against it because of lights and too many people walking around in the house, he removed the safety latch from the trunk so she could not escape, used a weapon he thought was not easy to trace, and took other measures not to leave evidence at the scene.
I think he planned it pretty well. Too bad it didn't work out for him in the end. Imo

Jan 16, 2019 NY Times

GORDON, Wis. — Neighbors watch one another’s homes in the winter around here. They notice when there are unfamiliar tire tracks in the snow. Most of the 34 graduates of Northwood High School’s Class of 2015 keep in touch through text message.

Gordon is a tiny place, with a single convenience store, and until last week, a single resident who appeared to elude public notice despite nearly a lifetime of living here.
[...]
On Thursday, former classmates said the accusations against Mr. Patterson — who was voted “most quiet” at Northwood High School and competed on the quiz team — felt like a punch to the gut.

“He was quiet, for sure, but not any out-of-the-ordinary quiet like something that would alarm somebody,” said one former classmate, who declined to be named out of fear of being ostracized in Gordon, where some residents believe speaking about Mr. Patterson is a betrayal of the town. In a photo given to The New York Times, Mr. Patterson sits in a corner, alone and behind his smiling, posing classmates, absorbed with his laptop.

One of his former teachers, in a text message to a handful of Mr. Patterson’s classmates, said the man accused of the kidnapping and killings was “not the quiet, smiley, bookish boy in the classroom” she knew. “As the days pass and more news trickles out, I’ll still hold the memory of that sweet boy in my heart. His future will look very different than yours.”
[...]
Ron Kofal, a lifelong Gordon resident who lives about a mile from the cabin where Jayme was held, said he met Mr. Patterson at the ICO gas station on Highway 53. He said Mr. Patterson, whom he described as “clean cut and shy,” sometimes performed odd jobs around town, like yard work and cabin maintenance, and had seemed pleasant in his interactions with him.

The town of Gordon is dotted with small cabins that sit at the end of wooded roads. All-terrain vehicles and snowmobile trails snake through the forest. Residents, especially the hearty few who stay through the harsh winters, take pride in being on a first-name basis with neighbors.

But in recent days, at snowmobile club meetings and at bars where prize bucks are mounted on the walls, residents have asked themselves uneasy questions: How did they fail to notice the horror in their small town? And how had Mr. Patterson, the tall young man with the receding brown hair, managed to live there so long without raising alarm?

“Everyone else is outside having a bonfire and splitting wood, and playing with their kids,” said Adam Wilson, a manager of a grocery store who lives near Mr. Patterson. “It’s disturbing; it shows you just never know what somebody’s up to.”

merlin_149226711_e49e8f43-5675-4418-b4a5-bf99933945bb-superJumbo.jpg

Northwood High School

merlin_149037000_0bb183d8-8346-4718-9fd9-677404971709-superJumbo.jpg

merlin_149037123_b36e834f-35aa-4f1f-b770-a2333a6c8b2a-superJumbo.jpg

‘How Could We Not Know?’ Kidnapping Suspect Hid in Plain Sight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online