Found Alive WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #40

Status
Not open for further replies.
A little over a week ago, many of us had given up hope that Jayme was still alive. We were sleuthing trying to determine who did the crime. Now Jayme is miraculously back with us and many people with the gift of hindsight are picking apart what certain people did. Why can't we focus on what went right and the glorious outcome? For all we know, if any one had done anything differently, it might have ended up with a different outcome. Meaning we wouldn't have Jayme back with us. Welcome home Jayme!!!

JMO of course

I read a post earlier about the dispatch lady not getting medical attention to Jayme or that it wasn’t a priority.
I will say that I disagree with that.

I was a member of a local fire dept. as an asst. captain and an emt.
Whenever we had a call that had any possibility of violence or a crime, they ( dispatch) would stage us. We would park at a safe spot and wait for LE to call us in when everything was deemed safe for us.

If you listen to the 911 call, the dispatch lady told first responders to stage. She was trying to get as much info about Jayme to size up the scene. That is what all in the emergency and LE agencies are trained to do.

Should medi-vac be called in? So many critical things to make a decision on in literally minutes that can make a difference, good or bad.
With my experience in the field, I give the dispatcher a 10 on a 10 scale, very good at what she does. Those people are well trained and do there job great under pressure.

Thank God I missed most of this discussion but you're completely right.

The job of a 911 operator is to keep the person on the phone calm so they can provide clear and calm information to the LE officers who arrive on the scene. They will often ask what seem to be mundane, unimportant questions because while you are giving your name, address, birthdate, etc., you are physically calming down from a panicked state and you will be more likely to provide useful information quickly to police.

They will immediately send LE over and then try to keep you calm on the line. That's what they are trained to do and it has a purpose. If you are trying to recall factual information to help the 911 operator, you aren't screaming, or crying, or panicking, or out of breath - you are taking calm breaths and answering questions.

This is probably a shallow thing for me to say, but I mean it as an unqualified compliment. ALL the women on the 911 call sounded calmer than any serious 911 call I've ever heard in my life!

It was like the two ladies who'd worked in the Social Worker type areas had attended a ton of crisis response seminars. And Jayme, just so calm and collected and that reflects so well on her absolute core character. She was so stressed and she was still gracious, kind, no profanity, very helpful.

The Closs's must have had a really sweet loving home together. Breaks my heart all over again to think about that precious little family being destroyed.

Do we know what time JP left his house the day Jayme escaped? He was supposed to be gone several hours but seems he was back in a short time. Did he suspect something and go back or maybe he just told her he would be gone for awhile?

It's clear to me that while JP was intelligent in the way he handled details, like planning to the degree of wiping down bullets and removing the trunk safety pull, he has little to no problem solving or people skills. For whatever sick reason, he got it into his head that he was going to take a girl. And his only option was to risk storming into the house, killing everyone else, because he didn't have the problem solving skills or adaptability it would take to abduct a child in any other scenario. When Jayme was found and the cop pulled him over, he immediately confessed because his one and only plan had failed. He had no other options accessible in his rigid mind. He hid Jayme under the bed and expected that she wouldn't try to escape because he had (IMO) tested her many times and she had complied.

In my experience, people who have this kind of intelligence are extremely arrogant because they don't value people skills, emotional intelligence or adaptability. They think the type of intelligence they possess is the only type of intelligence that really matters. They believe they are superior and the reason other people don't like them is because those people are too stupid to understand them. I definitely see this in JP with the way he gave so many details in his confession. He wanted the cops and everyone else to know how intelligent and superior to them he was. I have a feeling LE did what they could to encourage him to "help them understand" how he pulled this crime off "with such genius." Clearly they won that battle of the minds.

All MOO

Beginning to wonder if my recently turned 14 y/o son may become one. A nice talent in athletics but in the last 10 months he gave up sports, doing fun things and spending time with me.
He now spends his time gaming on his computer at moms. I worry!
Someone else posted this and I saved it to read again. That’s why I had the link in my right pocket.
Off subject I know.
Thanks for posting this link. I first read this after Riley Gaul murdered his ex-girlfriend Emma Walker (TN), and always worth re-reading. Best to you and your family. Awareness is key.

Is it possible he had a way to hear what was happening at home while he was away from the house?
It’s possible, but I doubt it.

His returning was probably a coincidence, and he may have told her he was going to be gone longer, in an effort to keep her off balance.

I imagine he played mind games like this quite often.

I believe one article may have said he went to his mom’s but she lives 45 minutes away so at the least he would have been gone an hour and a half. So his plans fell through or he wanted her to think he would be gone that long for whatever reason.

I am not believing that JP selected JC the way he says he did. The fact that he worked at Jennie O and quit after 2 days is poignant. Then he worked at another, similar job in the same town for 2 days. I think maybe the jobs were part of his selection process. Did he find a nice parent/loving family at the job who had a daughter and asked them all about their daughter and their home? Did he find it satisfying to intentionally identify a happy family, kill the parents, and take the child? To destroy that family? This would seem like a possible motive given his own family's destruction with divorce and foster care and his tendency towards obsession. Maybe he identified with JC as the child (who was close in age to his own when his parents divorced) and preserved her under his bed as an extension of himself, while killing the parents as proxies for his own parents.

did he drive by the Closs home intentionally the day he says he saw JC get on the bus to see her because he already knew there was a nice family with a 13 yo girl there and wanted to scout the child and the home? Maybe he quit Jennie O when he identified a target in order to avoid suspicions.

this may be why it seems he had no plans for after he abducted JC. it was all about killing the parents and possessing the child (protection?).

ETA

actually, maybe he started the job honestly trying to work, but got so triggered by the father figure JC (dad) would have made. The happy family/couple maybe angered him and triggered him to quit, but then also motivated him to annihilate the family. He did try to abduct JC a week prior to the crime, soon after quitting Jennie O and working 2 days at the cheese factory.

Last edited:
I am not believing that JP selected JC the way he says he did. The fact that he worked at Jennie O and quit after 2 days is poignant. Then he worked at another, similar job in the same town for 2 days. I think maybe the jobs were part of his selection process. Did he find a nice parent/loving family at the job who had a daughter and asked them all about their daughter and their home? Did he find it satisfying to intentionally identify a happy family, kill the parents, and take the child? To destroy that family? This would seem like a possible motive given his own family's destruction with divorce and foster care and his tendency towards obsession. Maybe he identified with JC as the child and preserved her under his bed as an extension of himself, while killing the parents as proxies for his own parents.

did he drive by the Closs home intentionally the day he says he saw JC get on the bus to see her because he already knew there was a nice family with a 13 yo girl there and wanted to scout the child and the home? Maybe he quit Jennie O when he identified a target in order to avoid suspicions.

this may be why it seems he had no plans for after he abducted JC. it was all about killing the parents and possessing the child (protection?).
His job at Jennie O’s was three years prior. It is almost certainly unrelated.

His second job inadvertently pointed him towards Jayme, as he spotted her on the way home.

His employment history is simply a reflection of himself, an antisocial creep who couldn’t handle authority.

His brief time in the Marines, further reflects this.

I believe he killed Jayme’s parents, simply because they were an obstacle to his ultimate goal.

Jayme.

This is an amazing article, and pretty much sums up what I have always thought as a teacher, some kids are hard wired to be psychopaths. Even in a wonderful home environment.

The article discusses that rewards are better than punishment. The problem is that these kids are so darn manipulative, they manage to behave badly and get positive reinforcement just for acting normally.

What do you do when a child like this is identified at age 12? Programs like this one are few and far between.

I didn't realize the Jennie O job was 3 years ago. I wonder if there are any unsolved crimes from that time frame.

I still don't believe him. At all. I think the family annihilation was just as important to him as abduction - if not more.

His job at Jennie O’s was three years prior. It is almost certainly unrelated.

His second job inadvertently pointed him towards Jayme, as he spotted her on the way home.

His employment history is simply a reflection of himself, an antisocial creep who couldn’t handle authority.

His brief time in the Marines, further reflects this.

I believe he killed Jayme’s parents, simply because they were an obstacle to his ultimate goal.

Jayme.

Re: dead animals and taxidermy discussion --
While initially, and on the surface, it would seem odd if your child "played" with dead animals, be it roadkill or a mouse the family cat killed, sometimes it is a mere interest in nature and biology at work. I had a wonderful friend in college who is an incredible artist - animals in particular. As a child, she was fascinated by the insides of animals - muscles, bone structure, and how it all fit inside the body and how it worked. To this day, most of her artwork depicts the inner mechanisms of animals in motion. She is a college professor and an avid animal and nature lover and lives on a farm with numerous pets. As a child, her Dad even gave her a funny nickname related to her interest in picking apart deceased animals, and she is still known more by the nickname than her real name. So, not all kids who exhibit an interest in dead critters wind up becoming off-kilter killers.

I grew up in the sticks and right after breakfast we were booted outside to “to play”. About the only rule was “stick together” (siblings and neighbor kids). It was SO great.

But I digress . . .point is, nature was our canvas as we created adventures. I recall around age five finding a dead animal in a field. I can’t remember what kind of animal it was, something small and furry (perhaps a rabbit). I was initially horrified when I came upon it. Still, every day, I’d be curious and go back to just look at it. I did that until there was nothing left. Zip.

Sitting through a church service homily at a funeral, I heard the priest pray “from ashes to ashes and dust to dust” and I spoke right up telling Mom about the dead animal and how it became dust. Chuckles all around . . .

I really don’t understand why people have their knickers in a knot about LE response. Douglas County LE did a fantastic job. I used to live 3 hours away from Douglas County (2 hours from Barron). Trying to drive 30-45 miles on iced-over roads is dangerous business, even for Wisconsin or Minnesota natives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998