Found Alive WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another question I've been considering. JP destroyed JLC's clothing and had her put on some of his sister's old pajamas. It appeared in the photos there were boxes of old childhood things there including his sister's clothes and other belongings. It might be just a matter of convenience, having girls' clothes already available. But I wondered if it could be somehow significant, to whatever his issues are, that he wanted her in his sister's clothing? *shudder*

This could link with my question about whether the girl in the photo on the wall resembles Jayme....

No, the complaint said JP told authorities he saw Jim in the big picture window -- something like that -- and yelled for him to get on the ground. JP then moved to the door, was knocking, and Jim looked through the door window and said "show me a badge," at which point he was then shot.
I just read the complaint again where this is mentioned. You are correct. I read James as Jayme earlier and remembered incorrectly the JTP saw her standing in the picture window.

He did also state that he saw James again looking through the tiny decorative window on the door as he banged on the door. James then asked for ID and JTP shot him through the door. At least I didn't remember it all incorrectly.

A horrific image, the entire scene.

If there was sexual assault involved, why would they wait to charge him on that/those count(s).
Completion of forensic tests and/or spare Jayme further distress. Also thought they may use that and tell JP if he pleads guilty or no contest they'll not press those charges. I presume that would be reviewed with the family before committing to that course.

Also thought they may offer JP of a plea with an off of going to prison hell hole on steroids or prison hell hole not so bad. There is always the hospital for the criminally insane for an option. Whatever, I don't want him free ever again.

Good morning :). Marking my spot while I catch up.

I took a step away yesterday because I realized I was getting a little riled up trying to keep varying degrees of speculation and known facts separate, without necessarily discounting other people’s speculation.

Jan 16, 2019 NY Times

GORDON, Wis. — Neighbors watch one another’s homes in the winter around here. They notice when there are unfamiliar tire tracks in the snow. Most of the 34 graduates of Northwood High School’s Class of 2015 keep in touch through text message.

Gordon is a tiny place, with a single convenience store, and until last week, a single resident who appeared to elude public notice despite nearly a lifetime of living here.
[...]
On Thursday, former classmates said the accusations against Mr. Patterson — who was voted “most quiet” at Northwood High School and competed on the quiz team — felt like a punch to the gut.

“He was quiet, for sure, but not any out-of-the-ordinary quiet like something that would alarm somebody,” said one former classmate, who declined to be named out of fear of being ostracized in Gordon, where some residents believe speaking about Mr. Patterson is a betrayal of the town. In a photo given to The New York Times, Mr. Patterson sits in a corner, alone and behind his smiling, posing classmates, absorbed with his laptop.

One of his former teachers, in a text message to a handful of Mr. Patterson’s classmates, said the man accused of the kidnapping and killings was “not the quiet, smiley, bookish boy in the classroom” she knew. “As the days pass and more news trickles out, I’ll still hold the memory of that sweet boy in my heart. His future will look very different than yours.”
[...]
Ron Kofal, a lifelong Gordon resident who lives about a mile from the cabin where Jayme was held, said he met Mr. Patterson at the ICO gas station on Highway 53. He said Mr. Patterson, whom he described as “clean cut and shy,” sometimes performed odd jobs around town, like yard work and cabin maintenance, and had seemed pleasant in his interactions with him.

The town of Gordon is dotted with small cabins that sit at the end of wooded roads. All-terrain vehicles and snowmobile trails snake through the forest. Residents, especially the hearty few who stay through the harsh winters, take pride in being on a first-name basis with neighbors.

But in recent days, at snowmobile club meetings and at bars where prize bucks are mounted on the walls, residents have asked themselves uneasy questions: How did they fail to notice the horror in their small town? And how had Mr. Patterson, the tall young man with the receding brown hair, managed to live there so long without raising alarm?

“Everyone else is outside having a bonfire and splitting wood, and playing with their kids,” said Adam Wilson, a manager of a grocery store who lives near Mr. Patterson. “It’s disturbing; it shows you just never know what somebody’s up to.”

merlin_149226711_e49e8f43-5675-4418-b4a5-bf99933945bb-superJumbo.jpg

Northwood High School

merlin_149037000_0bb183d8-8346-4718-9fd9-677404971709-superJumbo.jpg

merlin_149037123_b36e834f-35aa-4f1f-b770-a2333a6c8b2a-superJumbo.jpg

‘How Could We Not Know?’ Kidnapping Suspect Hid in Plain Sight

BBM
Bingo! I’ve speculated about that possibly being the case.

I haven’t been able to stop thinking about Jayme, so I just put together & ordered her a little care package from Amazon. I know gifts can’t take away what she has been through, but I hope some of the gifts can at least bring her a little joy. I haven’t been a teenager since the 90’s & I have no idea what girls that age are into these days, but I did my best & hopefully I picked some good stuff that she can enjoy.

That's very sweet of you <3

It seems though that he wouldn't drive away out of sight if he was testing her because he risked the result that occurred, that she would find refuge somewhere where he couldn't recover her. Seems like he would sit in his car at the end of the driveway and wait and intercept her if testing her was the point.

Maybe he did that at first. Or maybe he only drove to town of Gordon and back. IDK. For 87 days Jayme had not gotten out from under the bed when he left on multiple occasions, sometimes for up to 12 hours at a time. On the two times when he thought she tried due to the barbells being moved he yelled and hit her on the back with a handle. On day 88 he might have figured he had more control over her psychologically than he did and could tell her 6 hours when it was only a 30 minute trip he planned. I'm just speculating he made some mistake when leaving like he forgot to leave the radio on and she could hear him leave and tell he was really gone. I'm also not sure that she used his driveway when she left. She might have gone through the woods in case he was near the driveway. He saw her footprints in the snow and the dog walker said she came out of the woods.
MOO.

Maybe he did that at first. Or maybe he only drove to town of Gordon and back. IDK. For 87 days Jayme had not gotten out from under the bed when he left on multiple occasions, sometimes for up to 12 hours at a time. On the two times when he thought she tried due to the barbells being moved he yelled and hit her on the back with a handle. On day 88 he might have figured he had more control over her psychologically than he did and could tell her 6 hours when it was only a 30 minute trip he planned. I'm just speculating he made some mistake when leaving like he forgot to leave the radio on and she could hear him leave and tell he was really gone. I'm also not sure that she used his driveway when she left. She might have gone through the woods in case he was near the driveway. He saw her footprints in the snow and the dog walker said she came out of the woods.
MOO.
You are right, all good points.

I was in a wonderful trauma unit a year and a half ago I would highly recommend at McLean hospital. My unit mates were all trauma victims( two of whom have since passed from suicide) . Our traumas were perpetual. Severe PTSD does not abate or go away it is life long. There is no cure. You don't get better in six months. But!!!! The treatment is extremely helpful. The meds work very very well, but not totally. I am "disabled".They even have meds to stop the nightmares which amazingly work. But if she has ptsd, and I can not fathom how she'd not have it, she won't feel better in six months or two years, or thirty years. But she can be treated and that will help tremendously. ( I'd actually prefer to work but I keep getting fired so I can't. The flashbacks are problematic.....you get confused and generally annoy your co workers by losing track of what you are doing.)

Ok Sheila, I’m so sorry you’re going through this. It sounds like you had a wonderful hospital and I’m glad your medications are helping. I hope every day will become easier for you. Thank you for sharing what you’ve gone through and helping me understand what it could be like for JC. She is so blessed to have such a loving family who will always be there for her.

If there was sexual assault involved, why would they wait to charge him on that/those count(s).

Since he is in jail it's not practical to arrest him, take him out of jail, charge him, and then return him to jail. Much better to let the grand jury in Douglass County to indict him for any crimes occurring in that house. Remember in rural counties the grand jury might only meet twice a year.

I wonder how long they will keep the PO Box for us to send letters etc?

Knowing the correct PO Box isn't really required in a town the size of Barron. A future letter or package could be addressed to her at "General Delivery" with the proper zip code, and get there just fine. (once a friend sent me a postcard addressed to just my first name (a perfectly common name from the 50s-70s, along the lines of "Barbara" or "Karen") and with "PO Box ?" and the postmistress knew who it was for, lol... Post Office staff in small towns know SO much about us...)

Since he is in jail it's not practical to arrest him, take him out of jail, charge him, and then return him to jail. Much better to let the grand jury in Douglass County to indict him for any crimes occurring in that house. Remember in rural counties the grand jury might only meet twice a year.

Doubtful it will be a grand jury. Pretty rare in that area. He is now also being housed in Polk County so there will be some traveling involved now.

Can someone please clarify where JP returning sooner then he stated has come from? I'm sure its from Jayme herself, but has it been confirmed by LE or media? Or was it just what JN or KK said on the 911 call?

I ask this because I believe in the complaint Jayme said after he took her JP drove with her in the boot for what she believed was 2 hours, however Barron-Gordon if I'm correct is only 1 hr 4 min (not a huge difference in the scheme of things I know). My thought is in such a stressful situation, maybe Jayme's sense of time isn't as clear as it would be normally.

And do we know if Jayme escaped as soon as JP left the house or did she wait awhile? Has this been stated anywhere? Because if she waited awhile after he left then escaped maybe she actually waited longer than she is aware. I can't even imagine how slow time goes in that hell hole while trapped under a disgusting bed wondering every day if it's your last.

I still don't think this would fully explain the timeline JP provided Jayme, but it MIGHT possibly make the time he was out of the house that day a little longer and therefore stop us all reading into it when its potentially a misjudgment. To be honest, I really don't think this guy is intelligent enough to set a trap for her to see if she would try to escape. I also don't think he could be bothered. As far as he was concerned his job was done and he had his prized possession. I mean come on, this guy moved his gun away from the door after a fortnight because he thought he had gotten away with it. Obviously not a lover of true crime! :D

And on the shoes... I live in a very warm climate so have no idea if it's just second nature in WI to grab shoes before leaving the house in January, but I just can't comprehend how she was able to be that clear of mind in that moment to be thinking about the consequences on her body if she left without shoes. What an amazing young woman! I couldn't even think to take my umbrella this morning when it was clearly going to rain and I'm a 30 yr old woman with no current stresses!

From the 911 call and the criminal complaint document (links below).
Jayme escaped and was found by the dog walker Jeanne just after 4 PM.
Bottom of page 4 of the criminal complaint says Deputy Dittbrender was dispatched at 4:11 PM.
Jeanne told the 911 operator he was supposed to be back by midnight. That's about 6 hours.
The 911 call lasted about 30 minutes.
Page 5 of complaint says 3 officers had arrived to where Jayme was by approx 4:43 PM.
1 transported her away from the house while the other two stayed at the house.
As Jayme was being transported from the neighbor house to the waiting ambulance JTP's car passed them and the officer with Jayme asked if that looked like his car. The officer with Jayme radioed the other two about the car passing them and they went to check it out.
It was JTP in the car and they arrested him and he said he knew what it was about and he did it.
It turned out he had already returned to his cabin, seen that Jayme was gone, seen her footprints in the snow and gone back out to look for her by the time he was arrested.

Jayme Closs found: The 911 transcript - CNN
https://media.channel3000.com/mmm-w...01901141243_1547498223382_29678410_ver1.0.pdf

About the shoes-- fortunately Jayme was born in Wisconsin and she knew that it would be very dangerous (and potentially painful) to run across a snowy field with no shoes on. Plus, she probably didn't know how far she had to go to find help. And although I praise her for quickly grabbing some shoes she was obviously in a hurry when she left because she had the shoes on the wrong feet (Page 5 of the criminal complaint). Thank goodness she didn't worry about that and just got away as quickly as possible and found someone to help her!

MOO.

ETA: I also just noticed it says on page 7 of the criminal complaint that JTP left his house on Jan 1oth and told Jayme he was going to be gone "for 5 or 6 hours". So that is where the 5 or 6 hours comes from, along with Jeanne saying he was due back at "midnight" in the 911 call.

Last edited:

I may well be misunderstanding the legal and court system in Wisconsin, but I’m not sure what a grand jury has to do with this. I don’t think it (grand jury) applies to or comes into this case.

I believe that if Douglas county decides to charge him with offences committed there, the DA/prosecutors can do so directly, no need for a grand jury.

Am I wrong?

Knowing the correct PO Box isn't really required in a town the size of Barron. A future letter or package could be addressed to her at "General Delivery" with the proper zip code, and get there just fine. (once a friend sent me a postcard addressed to just my first name (a perfectly common name from the 50s-70s, along the lines of "Barbara" or "Karen") and with "PO Box ?" and the postmistress knew who it was for, lol... Post Office staff in small towns know SO much about us...)

With all due respect, they took a box in Rice Lake, probably to keep packages away from their home address/deliveries/town and for safety and privacy would be my guess. I would not try to send something to their town or home, no matter how nice a gesture it might be. jmho. meant with all respect.

Just my thoughts on JP and this crime with what we know today:

I can see JP's departure <read probably booted out> from the Marines as a big trigger for him although he didn't act out until later. He was working his way up IMO.

We've seen how he alluded in his yearbook about being 'done with school' and looking forward to the Marines,

We've seen a picture of him with his Mom and Sister announcing he's 'leaving soon' to be the big, bad Marine,

His Dad is able to move closer to his job after years of a long commute, because PF was away being The Marine.

Maybe this was one of the few times in his life that he could display his inflated ego, gain pride from his family/others and potentially become a killer in real life (during combat). I do believe once he 'failed' at this, he spiraled. Probably didn't show any blatant outward signs or raise alarming red flags to others as he basically sequestered himself at home and participated just enough within the family to satisfy their questions or concerns.

JP was humiliated I think. He withdrew, stewed, simmered, planned and plotted. He probably placated his parents by searching for jobs and putting in applications, maybe they weren't even aware he wasn't working full time. JMO

How it went from this point and his actions the night of Oct 15th is beyond comprehension. I think he immersed himself in para military type mindset and planned a big F U to his 'beloved' Marines. I can't help but wonder if there are some type of criminal activities he committed during this time? I wonder if we'll ever really know?

Ticking time bomb JP and I believe he carried this out without one ounce of emotion because he is emotionless. He doesn't feel remorse or empathy for others, classic personality disorder signs. I think society dodged a budding serial killer with his arrest I really do. I'm just sorry James, Denise and Jayme had to pay the price. :(

All JMOO

ETA: Corrected the defendants initials

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics