NV - 4 Murders in one week, LE asking for tips, Washoe & Douglas Counties, Jan 2019 *arrest*

pandamonium

Reaction score
4 Burglaries/Murders since Jan 9th or 10th. Killer appears to be striking every 3-4 days so far IF they are related.

Neighbors of two found dead not allowed to return home

Hotline still active for tips about murders of Gardnerville women

After the 2nd one, FBI was called in so you know that's not a good sign: DCSO is getting assistance from the Carson City Sheriff’s Office Investigations and Patrol Division, Reno Police Department Robbery Homicide Unit, the Nevada Division of Investigation Major Crimes Unit, State of Nevada Division of Parole and Probation, and the FBI.

People are on edge waiting to see if they are connected. Neighbors of the most recent one last night are claiming LE is saying weapon and MO are the same, indicating possible spree killer--speculation only, not confirmed as of yet!

News and LE are posting the following warnings everywhere:
  • keep doors and windows secure
  • use outdoor lighting if available
  • don’t open doors for strangers
  • keep cellphones handy and charged
  • report suspicious activity to law enforcement

We're offering a reward for information regarding the suspicious deaths of two people inside a residence in the Zolezzi Lane area of Reno. At approximately 4:00 p.m. on Wednesday, January 16th, the Sheriff’s Office was notified of suspicious circumstances at a residence on La Guardia Lane east of Valley Springs Road. Deputies arrived on scene and conducted a search of the house, where they found the two adults who appear to have been killed. The investigation is on-going and the Washoe County Sheriff’s office is asking for the public’s assistance. Anyone having information relating to this investigation should contact the Washoe County Sheriff's Office at (775) 328-3320, or if you wish to remain anonymous you can call us at (775) 322-4900 or report it online: http://www.secretwitness.com/report.php

The Washoe County Sheriff’s office says it was called to a home January 16, 2019 about 4 p.m. on LaGuardia Lane east of Valley Springs Road in the area of the Wolf Run Golf Club. They searched the home and found two dead adults. No information has been released about their names or how they died, or their ages or genders.

The Douglas County Sheriff’s Office says no one is in custody after two killings in the Gardnerville Ranchos area. The killing reported January 13, 2019 at 943 Dresslerville Road could be related to a death at 1439 James Road on or about January 10. The victim in Sunday's death has been identified as 74-year-old Sophia Renken. The first victim, on James Road, has been identified as 56-year-old Connie Koontz. Both victims were killed in their homes; Koontz was found dead by her mother, who also lives in the home and is hard of hearing and disabled.

Neighbors of two found dead not allowed to return home

Hotline still active for tips about murders of Gardnerville women

Washoe, Douglas authorities look at whether south Reno deaths, Gardnerville murders are linked

The Washoe County Sheriff’s Office is investigating two suspicious deaths discovered Wednesday in a South Reno residence. Authorities from both Washoe and Douglas counties are also attempting to determine whether the Reno deaths and those of two Douglas County women are linked.

Bob Harmon, spokesperson of the Washoe County Sheriff’s Office was asked if the Douglas County and Reno cases were connected, to which he replied, “We can’t confirm for sure, but we haven’t ruled it out yet.”

People are a bit on edge. I know I am. This is not normal. Growth has been tremendous and crime has increased but not like this. Even if they turn out to be not related, it's too many, too soon, too close together. I work at home and yeah, it's a bit nerve wracking to say the least.

People are a bit on edge. I know I am. This is not normal. Growth has been tremendous and crime has increased but not like this. Even if they turn out to be not related, it's too many, too soon, too close together. I work at home and yeah, it's a bit nerve wracking to say the least.
Is there someone else there with you? I don’t know what would be worse , being home alone or going somewhere else for the day & having to come home to an empty (you hope) house. Please be careful!!!

Is there someone else there with you? I don’t know what would be worse , being home alone or going somewhere else for the day & having to come home to an empty (you hope) house. Please be careful!!!

Thanks! I thought of that too--not sure if it's better to be at home or leave and come back to the unknown. uggghh! Not that I have much choice as I work and not much of that is getting done today. haha
My kids are in school and my hubby works during the day. I do have 3 big dogs--2 German Shepherd's and a 100 lb lab so I'm hoping they are a good deterrent :)

I'm also locked and loaded as well. That being said, none of that makes me feel any better. It's a very unnerving feeling. I'm jumpy and have more of a need to check out EVERY noise, every car that I hear go by the house, more paranoid when the dogs alert or bark, etc. Yeah, I hope they catch this perp soon.

I hate this uncertainty. My poor daughter was afraid to eat her breakfast downstairs this am by herself. I don't blame her. It's very unsettling knowing somebody like this is preying on people.

Attachments

• 20180421_084541[13860].jpg
    20180421_084541[13860].jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 247
Thanks! I thought of that too--not sure if it's better to be at home or leave and come back to the unknown. uggghh! Not that I have much choice as I work and not much of that is getting done today. haha
My kids are in school and my hubby works during the day. I do have 3 big dogs--2 German Shepherd's and a 100 lb lab so I'm hoping they are a good deterrent :)

I'm also locked and loaded as well. That being said, none of that makes me feel any better. It's a very unnerving feeling. I'm jumpy and have more of a need to check out EVERY noise, every car that I hear go by the house, more paranoid when the dogs alert or bark, etc. Yeah, I hope they catch this perp soon.

I hate this uncertainty. My poor daughter was afraid to eat her breakfast downstairs this am by herself. I don't blame her. It's very unsettling knowing somebody like this is preying on people.
I’m glad you have the dogs!

I live in this area.

Yes, people are really really worried.

The Gardnerville murders were about a mile apart, late at night / early am, both older single women (although one lived with her severely deaf mother). Apparently they were on different nights. Firearms were used (this hasn’t been official released but was inadvertantly said in the PC). One woman had a dog.

Theorize that entrance was made through unlocked doors.

Supposedly some items were taken, but unclear if robbery is the motive.

Did anyone else listen to the PC? I think I heard that firearms were used in the south Reno murders.

I don't believe they have stated that for the Reno murders as of yet. They have been very vague, only listing that there are similarities but they are still investigating. They were even vague about the weapon used in the Gardnerville murders but I did hear that a gun was used for at least one of them.

I was wondering what time of day the murders took place in Gardnerville as I haven't seen that publicly disclosed. I know the ones in Reno yesterday obviously took place during the day since they were called out around 4pm.

Uggh on the dog . . .so now I'm wondering more details on that as well. Like was it a small dog, did they kill the dog too, did they barge in when they opened the door to let their dog out, etc? I've been thinking of that as an opportunity all day today when I had to let my dogs out.

There is a local woman in Reno who claims to be neighbors of the victims of yesterday's murder's and she is claiming the deputies were telling them these are connected but nobody else has heard that officially. The Sheriff himself is saying it's too soon to tell so we'll see.

Connected or not, definitely too many, too close for comfort.

The Gardnerville Ranchos and the Reno murders are about 45 miles apart.

The Gardnerville Ranchos murders were less than 2 miles from a major road: Interection of Highway 395 and Riverview Dr.

The Reno murders were within about 3/4 mile from Highway 395 in Reno

I’m not sure the Reno murders happened during the day.

What I heard from the PC was that neighbors noticed something “ wasn’t right” and called LE about 4 pm. It could have happened any time and just noticed then. LE wasn’t disclosing that.

Ranchos: The James Rd happened the night/am of Wed Jan 9/10. The Dresslerville Rd is supposed to have happend in the dark hours, too. At least that’s how DCSO has portrayed it.

The homes in the Ranchos are in a small, older subdivision, generally 4 bedroom 2 bath, ~ $ 450 -$500K

The homes in La Guardia Ln are newer, larger, ~$ 900K + range

I would be surprised if the La Guardia property didn’t have surveillance cameras or an alarm system

Has anyone actually seen anything online stating what time they occurred? My realtor actually just called me and her husband worked for the Swat team (just retired) but he is the lead investigator for the Sheriff's dept and she just told me the GV murders and the Reno murders all occurred during the day. I have not seen anything official regarding any of them but he confirmed that much with her. The only news I have seen was what was referenced about suspicious activity and being called around 4pm for the Reno murders..

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineSteph
Back