Found Alive WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #41

Status
Not open for further replies.

JerseyGirl

Forum Coordinator
Staff member
Forum Coordinators
Reaction score
Deputies responded to a residence on Highway 8 east of Barron that was asking for help shortly before 1 a.m. When deputies arrived, they found two deceased adults. Jayme Closs, 13, is considered "missing and endangered." Jayme is described as 5' tall, 100 pounds and has green eyes and blond or strawberry blond hair.

2 dead, 13-year-old girl missing in Barron County, Wisconsin

Jayme%20Closs_1539605722558.jpg_6224138_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

Thread #1
Thread #2
Thread #3
Thread #4
Thread #5

Thread #6
Thread #7
Thread #8
Thread #9
Thread #10
Thread #11
Thread #12
Thread #13
Thread #14
Thread #15
Thread #16
Thread #17
Thread #18
Thread #19
Thread #20
Thread #21
Thread #22
Thread #23
Thread #24
Thread #25
Thread #26
Thread #27
Thread #28
Thread #29

Thread #30
Thread #32
Thread #33
Thread #34
Thread #35
Thread #36
Thread #37
Thread #38
Thread #39

Thread #40
Media, Maps, and Timeline Thread

ABSOLUTELY NO MORE OFF TOPIC STORIES! THIS THREAD IS ABOUT JAYME. FEEL FREE TO TAKE YOUR OFF TOPIC STORY TO A PRIVATE CONVERSATION. IF ANYONE POSTS THEIR PERSONAL OFF TOPIC STORY WILL RECEIVE AN AUTOMATIC TIMEOUT.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone- As this is a very active discussion, please make every effort to stay on-topic, victim friendly, and courteous to your fellow posters. If you are posting information as fact, posting a picture, etc. include a link to your source. If you see a post which violates TOS, report the post and do not respond to it. Thank you and carry on :)

Charges: Suspect taped Jayme's hands, ankles, dragged her to car
A jailed Patterson appeared Monday afternoon via video hookup in Barron County District Court, where he heard the charges against him in connection with the deaths of James and Denise Closs and the abduction of Jayme, who sought help along a road near Gordon upon escape.

Judge James Babler agreed with the prosecution and set bail at $5 million for Patterson, pointing out the seriousness of the charges, the prospect of spending life in prison if convicted and the great lengths the defendant went to conceal the crimes while a fugitive. The defense requested an unspecified lesser amount.

Decked in full jail orange, Patterson sat at a table with a member of his defense team to his right and the charging document in front of him over the 9-minute hearing and answered every question from the judge calmly and with full understanding. He sat with his hands folded at his waist, adjusting his glasses and rubbing his face.

Prosecutors also said Monday afternoon that additional charges based on unspecified allegations could be coming out of Douglas County, where the Patterson property is located, before the defendant is back in Barron County Circuit Court in Barron on Feb. 6.

Discussing The Jayme Closs Case With Your Children
What happened to Jayme Closs is rare.

Less than one percent of abductions are from strangers and Jayme’s case is rare even within that one percent. Experts say parents should not downplay what happened to Jayme, but to use it as an important teaching moment.

Jane Straub educates children and parents on abductions. She works with the Jacob Wetterling Resource Center.

“This is one extreme example of a very bad person who did a really bad thing, but look at all the good people who did the right thing in this case,” Straub said. “Jayme was in a situation and she knew it wasn’t OK what was happening to her and she did what she could to get out. And even when she didn’t know that lady walking the dog, she knew that that was a safe adult because that adult wasn’t breaking her safety rules and she knew to go to that adult and get help and that’s what we want kids to know.”

Straub says kids don’t need to know all the details, but this case brings up a huge teaching moment about abductions in general.

Here are some basic tips:

– Tell kids to always check before they go anywhere
– Play and stay with a buddy
– Identify 5 adults you can always go to and talk with and trust
– Trust your gut
– No secrets with adults
– Private areas are private

I hope they put a message out soon asking for the gifts to stop. Honestly, this is probably just another burden for her. Jayme wanted to help the poor. She’s likely just going to give it all away anyway. Hopefully she can do so guilt-free.

Discussing The Jayme Closs Case With Your Children
What happened to Jayme Closs is rare.

Less than one percent of abductions are from strangers and Jayme’s case is rare even within that one percent. Experts say parents should not downplay what happened to Jayme, but to use it as an important teaching moment.

Jane Straub educates children and parents on abductions. She works with the Jacob Wetterling Resource Center.

“This is one extreme example of a very bad person who did a really bad thing, but look at all the good people who did the right thing in this case,” Straub said. “Jayme was in a situation and she knew it wasn’t OK what was happening to her and she did what she could to get out. And even when she didn’t know that lady walking the dog, she knew that that was a safe adult because that adult wasn’t breaking her safety rules and she knew to go to that adult and get help and that’s what we want kids to know.”

Straub says kids don’t need to know all the details, but this case brings up a huge teaching moment about abductions in general.

Here are some basic tips:

– Tell kids to always check before they go anywhere
– Play and stay with a buddy
– Identify 5 adults you can always go to and talk with and trust
– Trust your gut
– No secrets with adults
– Private areas are private
Does anyone know what the typical age recommendation is for a young women to take a self-defense course? I have heard that they have them at different levels according to age, but I would think the whole idea could be scary for some kids. Off topic-yes. But I think if some things can be learned from this case...

gitana1Verified Attorney

The parents need to tell their kids to treat her like before and not ask probing questions. And to not bully or allow her to be bullied or there will be swift consequences.
Sorry - don’t know exactly how to quote from a previous thread but want to respond to this.

I of course totally agree with the no bullying or intrusive question piece, but I wonder where the line is between treating her like before and her feeling like no one cares what she went through. Like it seems like it would be a strange elephant in the room for no one to ever mention it right? Or maybe that’s just me.

I hope they put a message out soon asking for the gifts to stop. Honestly, this is probably just another burden for her. Jayme wanted to help the poor. She’s likely just going to give it all away anyway. Hopefully she can do so guilt-free.

I don't know if they should ask people to stop. It's a catharsis for the community and it will stop soon enough. But you're right, it could become a burden. I'm glad they have storage lockers for it.

Only one Mockingjay pin?? :)

Regarding trauma therapy, here’s what I know from research and personal experience:

I have 2 friends who have done EMDR with great effect. I suspect this works best if there is a strong visual that is tied to the trauma and if the therapist knows what they’re doing.

But there are also multiple psychobiological therapies now and different ones work for different people. I am getting ready to start somatic experiencing to deal with childhood trauma. The science behind the mind-body connection in trauma is solid. I think JC will likely do well because one of the things that gives you resilience after childhood trauma is having at least one loving, consistent adult in your life. Seems like JC has had at least 3 and perhaps even more from extended family.

I just took a quick review of this article:

Jayme Closs kidnapping: Family and friends praise teen's strength | Daily Mail Online

If you asked this girl not to smile for a photo, I don't think she could do it.

I was looking for what I thought was a pic of her and one of her friends, but it was a cousin. Not that it's any of my business, but I'm curious if she's been reunited with any of her friends?
I would think not yet Dude. The mental and physical exhaustion from this ordeal will be intense. I'm sure she's eating, sleeping and hopefully doing some form of exercise right now and that's about it with the exception of speaking with family. A traumatic event like this is like a car crash to the brain and body. IMO

I would think not yet Dude. The mental and physical exhaustion from this ordeal will be intense. I'm sure she's eating, sleeping and hopefully doing some form of exercise right now and that's about it with the exception of speaking with family. A traumatic event like this is like a car crash to the brain and body. IMO
Oh, I agree with all that. I also had figured that reuniting with friends will be very important, as well - when the time is right. I can't underestimate the healing potential of being around trusted others of her age. Her one cousin appears to be close in age, so there's that.

Oh, I agree with all that. I also had figured that reuniting with friends will be very important, as well - when the time is right. I can't underestimate the healing potential of being around trusted others of her age. Her one cousin appears to be close in age, so there's that.
Yep, have no doubt she'll be surrounded with them soon. I do believe she will want to continue on as 'normally' as she can as quickly as she feels able. Jayme does have a ton of support, so happy for that.

Did you think 10 ago we'd be talking about her being home? It still seems a little surreal to me honestly.

Yep, have no doubt she'll be surrounded with them soon. I do believe she will want to continue on as 'normally' as she can as quickly as she feels able. Jayme does have a ton of support, so happy for that.

Did you think 10 ago we'd be talking about her being home? It still seems a little surreal to me honestly.
If she hadn't facilitated her own escape, today nobody would still have any clue what happened or if she was even alive. And Fitzgeralds remaining hairs would be snow white.

gitana1Verified Attorney

The parents need to tell their kids to treat her like before and not ask probing questions. And to not bully or allow her to be bullied or there will be swift consequences.
Sorry - don’t know exactly how to quote from a previous thread but want to respond to this.

I of course totally agree with the no bullying or intrusive question piece, but I wonder where the line is between treating her like before and her feeling like no one cares what she went through. Like it seems like it would be a strange elephant in the room for no one to ever mention it right? Or maybe that’s just me.
I'm sure school administrators and counselors will have explained to the students the importance of normalcy for a person who has had a traumatic experience such as this. There were counselors at the school when Jayme went missing, and no doubt will continue to provide that service for anyone who needs to talk or ask questions. They will likely stress the importance of her need to be treated as they would normally treat her, and to listen if she wants to talk, but not to ask questions.
The school Superintendent seemed to me to have a pretty good handle on the situation. I doubt Jayme will feel like no-one cares about her. I would think when she does go back to school she will want to be treated the same way she always was. And there will be counselors available to answer other kids questions if they need it. Imo

If she hadn't facilitated her own escape, today nobody would still have any clue what happened or if she was even alive. And Fitzgeralds remaining hairs would be snow white.
Agreed on her escaping totally awesome!!!

HAHAHA you always get me with these tidbits of humor! It's good to laugh sometimes during the gravity of the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46