Found Alive WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #41

Status
Not open for further replies.
To me it would seem a process of elimination. You would have all the DMV resources at your disposal. How many old Tauruses could there be in WI? The deputy specified Taurus, and even described the front black license plate frame. They should have been all over this car. It was the best lead they had. And I can't think of one reason this shouldn't have been the Amber Alert car.
The Deputy's report provided that JP's vehicle was the only one encountered on the roadway, and the driver actually gave yield to the emergency responders. I'd like to think that this driver would be exactly who LE would want to speak to as a potential witness! Perhaps yielding to LE's vehicles removed the Taurus from any immediate suspicion, but the driver of this vehicle still should have been sought as a witness-- due to their proximity to the crime scene. I agree, this was the best lead they had. MOO

I think one of the big problems with knowing how to treat JC now is that nobody really knows yet what her new "normal" is going to be. I wouldn't think that treating her as if nothing had happened and she had never been gone would help her in any way. I also don't think that treating her as a victim will really help her either. I'm not a professional, but I've had a lot of experience in dealing with traumatic situations. If she were in my life, I'd probably tell her the same thing as I've told many other people who are: I'm sorry for what you went through, and I won't ask you for any details, but if you ever need someone to talk to who won't give advice, tell you what you could have done differently, dismiss your pain by saying "I know how you feel", or talk about it to anyone else, you know my number and where I live. I'll always be glad to be a sounding board, or help you if you ask me to.

I also believe that some people are genetically predisposed to violence, among other things that may lead to criminal behavior. I don't believe that in itself is what makes people do things like this though; there would most likely be some experience that triggered it, and even then, the person always has the choice to not act on their urges. I don't believe the trigger has to be related to the family, so I don't hold any of his family responsible in any way. I'm guessing that they're also feeling victimized right now. To find out that someone you loved and raised had turned out to be capable of such atrocities would almost feel like the child/person you loved had died, and a stranger was standing there instead. MOO

One last thing. It's easy for us to look at the case with the knowledge we now have and say how things should have been done, but I do believe that all LE involved in the case did what they thought was best under the circumstances. The fact that JC was still alive and in good enough shape, physically and mentally, to escape makes me believe their decisions may have been the best options. If more pressure were put on him when they had no idea who he was, it's very possible she'd have been in much worse shape now and possibly dead.

As always, just my opinions mainly based on my experiences in life. YMMV

Does anyone here recall a poster just before Jayme escaped who posted that there was chatter on SM or somewhere that the perp - or at least a suspect - had been ID'd and his initials were JP and a big break was coming? The poster discreetly buried the initials in a sentence, but bolded them, and mentioned there was a clue here. However, the mods quickly deleted the post, but not before a couple of WS members commented on it. I am wondering how the poster had this info ??? I am also wondering if the registrations for red Tauruses in WI were checked and one was traced to JP through his sister's registration before Jayme escaped. I just don't recall the details of the post.

According to the complaint, JP told James to get on the ground and then James said show me your badge.
Do you think if James had gotten on the ground, he would still have been shot?
This is a quote from one of the earlier threads, but I'm still going to respond. I think he still would have been shot because I don't believe he'd lie there without putting up a fight if someone were trying to kidnap his daughter. What I wondered about is if he would have killed the parents if the dog hadn't barked so everyone was still asleep when he entered.

As I recall, leggings, socks that seemed too small, and shoes put on the wrong feet. I cannot remember what top she was wearing, but others here will, but all that to say, I am convinced these weren’t the clothes she arrived in.
I have no idea where I read it, but I thought they said it was also a baggy sweatshirt. Of course, it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong. MOO

Since it was the only car they saw, I think they should have alerted to it certainly based on the gravity of the crime scene they encountered when they got there. At least a BOLO.
Did the officer just remember he saw that car after the perp was arrested in it?
I immediately asked the same question in earlier thread (and I'm a bit embarrassed about it)! :oops:

I'd like to now say that I'm sure the CC details only the Deputy's contemporaneous record.

Last edited:
The Deputy's report provided that JP's vehicle was the only one encountered on the roadway, and the driver actually gave yield to the emergency responders. I'd like to think that this driver would be exactly who LE would want to speak to as a potential witness! Perhaps yielding to LE's vehicles removed the Taurus from any immediate suspicion, but the driver of this vehicle still should have been sought as a witness-- due to their proximity to the crime scene. I agree, this was the best lead they had. MOO
At the 10/24 press conference, the sheriff asked that anyone on Hwy 8 between 12:30 and 1:30 am call the tipline. So, there's that... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
MOO

Last edited:
d
packages from strangers seems like a huge risk to me. the man arrested isn't the only crazy person out there.
Yes, and frankly, I would not feel comfortable as a lay person opening anything under these circumstances. I hope they have a good way to check out each and every piece of mail and package before it gets to the family.

To me it would seem a process of elimination. You would have all the DMV resources at your disposal. How many old Tauruses could there be in WI? The deputy specified Taurus, and even described the front black license plate frame. They should have been all over this car. It was the best lead they had. And I can't think of one reason this shouldn't have been the Amber Alert car.
An argument can be made that the car shouldn't be part of an Amber Alert, as there was nothing to tie the vehicle to the adbduction/murders. But it sure does seem like the ball was dropped on researching the car in the post-attack days. Deputy had the color, siding strips and other details spot on, and it was the only car passed on the way to the crime scene. Seems research of car registrations could narrow down the field of possibilities significantly. And speaking w/ the person in possession of each car may have led to a quicker arrest of JP.

FBI credits teamwork, determination in Jayme Closs search; has hope for other missing children cases
We are learning more about the Jayme Closs investigation from an FBI agent assigned to the case. Justin Tolomeo, FBI Special Agent, and a team of 250 FBI agents and personnel worked nearly round the clock to bring Closs home. In the end, it was Closs herself who broke the case.

Justin Tolomeo.jpg
Justin Tolomeo

A law enforcement agent for more than 30 years, Tolomeo says solving crimes against kids matters.

"It is a threat to life of a child," Tolomeo said. "We are going to pull out all the stops and move rapidly and flood resources into that area to help with the investigation."

Tolomeo and his team worked 24-hour shifts to follow up on thousands of tips. None panned out and the FBI scaled back its operation, but Tolomeo says his team never gave up.

"We did everything we possibly could and I again, I said it, Jayme herself that gave us that break," said Tolomeo.

Tolomeo has yet to meet Closs, and his work isn't done. There are more missing children.

An argument can be made that the car shouldn't be part of an Amber Alert, as there was nothing to tie the vehicle to the adbduction/murders. But it sure does seem like the ball was dropped on researching the car in the post-attack days. Deputy had the color, siding strips and other details spot on, and it was the only car passed on the way to the crime scene. Seems research of car registrations could narrow down the field of possibilities significantly. And speaking w/ the person in possession of each car may have led to a quicker arrest of JP.

And I wonder really how busy that road was on a Sunday night and how many vehicles were going in opposite direction past them. It sounds like this one was the only one, as that alert officer noticed it and took note of it. I think they should've asked the public to look out for that vehicle and report in.

Thanks for posting... that’s a brutal read..

Did JTP not admit he’s on computer during the confession...

——————
The defendant stated he learned the names of the two people he shot and killed after seeing their names reported on multiple news programs and social media.
——————

If that’s his statement he’s obviously on social media looking for something... if not simply to read the details and high five himself..probably not his name but fake account or tied to his computer game?
  • Also JP doesn't confess to hurting JLC in captivity, yet in the PDF, JLC mentions he hit her with something on her back.
  • JP's confession isn't true, he's just bragging (like an earlier poster stated) about what the police already knew.
  • Couple of thoughts, echoing many fine observations here.
    • He didn't just stalk JLC, he stalked many who met his criteria. (Like an person stated 11-13 and single child - other criteria?)
    • He got the idea from seeing girls lining up to get on the bus.
    • He never had a secure environment for JLC, so he couldn't indulge in the sadism that goes with these kidnappings as much as he would like.
    • JLC's life was hanging by the thread every day. W/out a secure environment anything could have happened that would make her expandable. From a close call during a bathroom break to a realization he couldn't indulge w/out worry.
    • Excuses - all those weights that would tell him if JLC tried to escape, saying he would away longer than he would be - he was trying to find excuses to abuse her.
    • I fear we don't know everything she endured.

If we use that Amber Alert argument, then we’re begging the question of just how the Challenger and SUV were tied to the crimes...

Does anyone here recall a poster just before Jayme escaped who posted that there was chatter on SM or somewhere that the perp - or at least a suspect - had been ID'd and his initials were JP and a big break was coming? The poster discreetly buried the initials in a sentence, but bolded them, and mentioned there was a clue here. However, the mods quickly deleted the post, but not before a couple of WS members commented on it. I am wondering how the poster had this info ??? I am also wondering if the registrations for red Tauruses in WI were checked and one was traced to JP through his sister's registration before Jayme escaped. I just don't recall the details of the post.

I saw this post too. His name was being posted in the Daily Mail online article comment section before it was here.

Lou Raguse‏Verified account @LouRaguse
I missed this on my initial reading of the complaint. Deputy Jon Fick noticed on the way to the residence, what he believed was an older maroon Ford Taurus or similar vehicle. He said it was the only eastbound vehicle he met. #JaymeCloss
1:01 PM - 14 Jan 2019

Patterson was driving an older, red Ford Taurus.
1:02 PM - 14 Jan 2019

So i guess the question is why the public wasn't asked to help find a red Taurus. Is that something they would keep close to the vest or did they overlook it?
1:03 PM - 14 Jan 2019

Circling back to this, authorities withheld that info because it was the best lead they had. They were trying to find a red Taurus owner and didn’t want him to know they had that info and get rid of it.
8:17 AM - 15 Jan 2019

OK, I'm going to give Sheriff Fitzgerald some leeway here regardless that he's not stated this publicly. :)

Last edited:
I missed this on my initial reading of the complaint. Deputy Jon Fick noticed on the way to the residence, what he believed was an older maroon Ford Taurus or similar vehicle. He said it was the only eastbound vehicle he met. #JaymeCloss
1:01 PM - 14 Jan 2019

Patterson was driving an older, red Ford Taurus.
1:02 PM - 14 Jan 2019

So i guess the question is why the public wasn't asked to help find a red Taurus. Is that something they would keep close to the vest or did they overlook it?
1:03 PM - 14 Jan 2019

Circling back to this, authorities withheld that info because it was the best lead they had. They were trying to find a red Taurus owner and didn’t want him to know they had that info and get rid of it.
8:17 AM - 15 Jan 2019

OK, I'm going to give Sheriff Fitzgerald some leeway here regardless that he's not stated this publicly. :)
But compare this to the USA Today article you posted a page back. It’s two completely different explanations...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail