NH NH - Connecticut River Valley Killer (1980s)

Reading up on him now. He should certainly be looked at as a potential serial predator.

Of course my reputation as an amateur sleuth if there is such a thing is staked on it as such. But for whatever reason I tend to know he is. Thanks for the post. I think he looks like the composite sketches of the Valley Killer.

Of course my reputation as an amateur sleuth if there is such a thing is staked on it as such. But for whatever reason I tend to know he is. Thanks for the post. I think he looks like the composite sketches of the Valley Killer.

Can he be placed in New Hampshire or Vermont at any time? I mean, a guy doesn't just decide to do the kinds of things he's been convicted of doing in his 50s so I'd bet bank on him having prior offenses. Given the geography, he should definitely be looked at for the Colonial Parkway Murders.

That's right I do not think Michael Nicholaou was the right offender although he was obviously a deeply troubled man who committed terrible acts. His crimes appeared to be mainly directed at those closest to him. In a bizarre twist I actually believe another offender may be responsible for many of the crimes attributed to him. The man I have in mind would never has committed suicide because he enjoyed hurting others so much. Also in his mind he was an egotist totally self confident until he finally made a mistake.
What I had heard about the PI who created the Nicholaou idea is she not well liked and she is nuts

Can he be placed in New Hampshire or Vermont at any time? I mean, a guy doesn't just decide to do the kinds of things he's been convicted of doing in his 50s so I'd bet bank on him having prior offenses. Given the geography, he should definitely be looked at for the Colonial Parkway Murders.

I agree with your thoughts. I do not know if he was in New England apart from after studying the case knowing it is him if you know what I mean. I also am pretty sure he is the Colonial Parkway Killer and it would take more convincing for me than just being told he has been cleared.

What I had heard about the PI who created the Nicholaou idea is she not well liked and she is nuts

I do not know her personally but would not disagree with you. Apart from the fact someone has to be interested. Right crimes wrong suspect. Bad business with one of his sons though on TV etc.

Thanks for your post. My suspect again is Ralph Jackson who I believe was a very prolific Serial Killer who went from coast to coast in the US. My theory and honest belief of course.

Just want to give this thread a bump with an article that may or may not have been posted on this thread before about a murder in New England where profilers believe the Connecticut River Valley Killer may have been responsible:

Former FBI profiler says Portland murder may have been work of uncaught serial killer

I do not know the answer in this case and of course there is someone who was found guilty of the crime. Here is the composite sketch which is of a bearded man:

4b4f83a3-f605-4e84-b63c-4fa281cb16b5-large16x9_policesketch.PNG

I think John Philpin did a good profile of the Connecticut River Valley Killer and there is a good segment on Unsolved Mysteries about the case. The killer liked to be in control and enjoyed being in control of the victims and deciding whether they lived or died. He also said the killer liked to drive a lot searching for victims:

A cold case heats up

I think John Philpin did a good profile of the Connecticut River Valley Killer and there is a good segment on Unsolved Mysteries about the case. The killer liked to be in control and enjoyed being in control of the victims and deciding whether they lived or died. He also said the killer liked to drive a lot searching for victims:

A cold case heats up

With the case mentioned about one interesting aspect that appears not to be mentioned that much is the victim was attacked in her own home which is a different MO to the other known victims. The Connecticut River Valley Killer is associated with knife attacks but my feeling is he killed in other ways as well:

Wednesday, April 18
WESTMINSTER -- On April 15, 1986, Lynda M. Moore, a 36-year-old mother of two, was found dead at her north Westminster home, the victim of more than 20 stab wounds.
The attention of the region fixed upon the case. Investigators for the Vermont State Police followed every lead they could get.

They searched Moore's home again and again.

Road blocks were set up around the area. Neighbors were questioned for any details they could give.

A criminal psychologist was called in and interpreted the facts of the case.

But there were no answers.

Twenty-one years later, the investigation remains open. Detective Lt. William Jenkins, at the state police barracks in Rockingham, has been in charge of the investigation since last winter. He inherited stacks and stacks of police documents and evidence.

"We definitely remain hopeful that someday we can solve it," Jenkins said.

Every now and then a new lead comes along, and Jenkins revisits the case. He said he has spent about three or four days collectively reading the reports, but still has not read everything.

Jenkins said he wants to soak up all the knowledge he can about the case so if a new, big development comes along, he knows his way around the murder case.

"A long time ago, I resigned myself to the idea that this may never be solved," said Lynda's son, Christopher Moore in an e-mailed statement. "But I always hold out hope."

Christopher Moore is now a lawyer practicing out of Bellows Falls. In his statement, he went on to discuss the day of his mother's death.

"If it was as dreary outside in April of 1986 as it is in April 2007, she would not have been outside that fateful afternoon, would not have been spotted by the man responsible and therefore would still be alive today. Unfortunately, circumstances converged which put her and her family in the path of a tornado," he wrote.

Lynda Moore was found dead by her husband at their home on Route 121 after he arrived home from work. Word of her death spread quickly in the town and a day later people worriedly locked their doors, kept a closer eye on their children and followed the news reports closely.

"Everybody's scared," resident Charlene Burns told the Reformer a day after the murder. "I wish the cops would tell us something. I locked my door last night for the first time in years, and my kids are scared."

Burns said she wished the police had told residents and neighbors something about the murder, whether it was a "wild maniac" or someone who knew Lynda Moore.

But the truth was, they didn't know.

The police probe stretched for months, then for a year. Then, in 1987, police issued a composite sketch of a man thought to be connected to the stabbing death.

The sketch showed a clean-shaven white male with a round face, dark-rimmed glasses and dark, trimmed hair. Police thought the man to be 20 to 25 years old, slightly stocky and carrying a bright, blue knapsack on the day of the murder.

At the time, police said a man of the description was spotted near the Moore home the day of the murder and may have been hitchhiking. Police said the same description came from more than one source.

While police questioned, no arrests were ever made.

Increasingly, investigators and the public alike began to suspect that the murder was connected to a series of killings along the Connecticut River in both Vermont and New Hampshire -- the work of a serial killer in cases that became known as "The Connecticut River Valley murders."

Christopher Moore said trying to make those connections makes sense. He said the coincidences are too prevalent to ignore.

"There were knife killings before and after, north and south, east and west of my mom's murder," he said.

Christopher went on to describe the stabbing of Jane Boroski, who was attacked by a man with a knife in Swanzey, N.H. She was stabbed more than 30 times and lived. The woman saw the man's Jeep and the first three numbers on his license plate.

"I think this is a man the police need to eliminate as a suspect," he said.

It wasn't until last year that investigators took interest in the case after a Florida murder-suicide.

On New Year's Eve 2005, Michael Nicholaou shot his estranged wife and stepdaughter before turning the gun on himself.

The incident caught the attention of Lynn-Marie Carty, a detective who had been hired by a Vermont mother to find her daughter, Michelle Ashley, who had two babies with Nicholaou and disappeared in 1988.

Ashley disappeared, but Nicholaou kept the two kids, eventually settling in Florida.

Carty, along with retired Vermont criminal profiler John Philpin, began looking at Nicholaou's presence along the Connecticut River Valley during the time of the murders.

DNA from Nicholaou could be compared with DNA from the River Valley victims, and prompted Moore to look for a possible connection.

Philpin said that comparison likely won't happen. He said the DNA samples probably never existed.

"My feeling through this whole thing was if they had it, they should have said so," Philpin said.

Philpin said he thinks there is a connection between Nicholaou and the river valley murders -- including Moore's stabbing death.

His investigations, along with Carty, started last year shortly after the Nicholaou murder-suicide. He has spent a good deal of time trying to place Nicholaou at certain locations during the time of the murders.

Philpin said the Nicholaou connection gained just a small amount of attention from the law enforcement investigators.

The possible connection is just another lead for the Moore case, a file that has been open for 21 years now and gets harder to close every year.

"It is likely that someone in the public has information that would lead us to Lynda Moore's killer," Jenkins wrote in a press release. "That person may think the information is insignificant, or they may have been afraid to come forward for any number of reasons. We urge anyone with information to come forward and talk to us."

Christopher Moore said his mom is remembered as a loving mother to him and his sister Allyson.

Active with the Rockingham Hospital Auxiliary, where she served as president, she actively pushed for a requirement for car seats for infants.

The hospital established the Lynda M. Moore memorial scholarship. The scholarship goes to Bellows Falls area graduates who have committed to study in the field of nursing.

Donations to the scholarship fund can be sent to the care of Christopher Moore, P.O. Box 50, Bellows Falls, VT 05101.

Patrick J. Crowley can be reached at pcrowley@reformer.com, or 802-254-2311, ext. 277.

These are just my theories and an attempt to get these cases some momentum. One of the relatives in the Connecticut River Valley Killer cases has likened her sisters murder to a paper bag blowing in the wind. These cases in New Hampshire may be a possible change of MO in terms of murder weapon or method. As I say I am sure it is not nice for victims relatives to here what happened to their loved ones in their last moments but to put it in crude terms I think my suspect also liked to smash innocent people in the head as well as stab them:

Cold Case USA: LAURA KEMPTON'S 1981 MURDER LINKED TO '82 SLAYING

Here is an article about the cases in relation to the suspect Michael Nicholaou. I do not actually think he was that good a suspect in the cases really although worth checking out:

Murders haunt Connecticut River Valley Amateur sleuth, killer’s son brought together by investigation into unsolved slayings

Of course if he was not the offender and I do not believe he was that business with his son on Dr Phil was really a bit twisted in a way although of course he was a deeply disturbed and dangerous individual anyway who committed some terrible acts.

I still cannot find the Unsolved Mysteries segment on the Connecticut River Valley Killer which has John Philpin's profile and some good information in it. Here though is a link to a You Tube page where a number of episodes have been uploaded:

Unsolved Mysteries - Full Episodes

I would like to give some publicity to this case that of Theresa Allore. It is a Canadian case but the Connecticut River Valley Killer has been mentioned in connection with it. Of course I do not know whether the Connecticut River Valley Killer was responsible or not but the possibility he struck in Canada is worth looking at. Here is a recent video about the case:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back