Found Alive WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #41

Status
Not open for further replies.
...a well thought out crime does not have the cops being called during the crime--plain and simple
...maybe he was organized--but it was not well thought out
See page 8 of the Criminal Complaint. By his own admission:

"The defendant stated he put quite a bit of thought into the details of how he was going to abduct J.L.C."
Jake T Patterson Criminal Complaint (Jayme Closs)

His actions support that statement. He shaved his face and head, he stole the plates from another vehicle and switched them with his own, he disconnected the car's dome light, he cut the cord in the trunk, he bought a balaclava mask, he dressed in all black, he wore gloves when handling the ammunition, etc.

Actually, on second thought, I can tell you that two of our cars that were bought new at dealerships in the south had NO brackets in the front. Currently, one of those vehicles now has a front plate on it with no brackets. So technically, manufacturers only need to include the screw holes for a plate. Front brackets are not a given, at least not in the state I was in that required only one plate.

This makes sense. Of course the brackets are add-ons, not part of the frame like I was originally picturing. So maybe the dealerships make sure the cars have both brackets if they are in/near a state that requires both. That makes more sense!

I've lived most of my life in California where both plates are required. And when I've been in states where they're not, you're right, it was noticeably "wrong" to my eyes whenever I saw one "missing".

Now we know for sure that he was aware 911 had been called as he ordered Denise to hang it up. This put him in a hurry. Otherwise he might have stayed a little longer doing who knows what.

You know kkdi.... I do wonder about that. If DC would have made the 911 call, and hidden the phone somewhere, would LE have arrived while Patterson was still at the scene?

See page 8 of the Criminal Complaint. By his own admission:

"The defendant stated he put quite a bit of thought into the details of how he was going to abduct J.L.C."
Jake T Patterson Criminal Complaint (Jayme Closs)

His actions support that statement. He shaved his face and head, he stole the plates from another vehicle and switched them with his own, he disconnected the car's dome light, he cut the cord in the trunk, he bought a balaclava mask, he dressed in all black, he wore gloves when handling the ammunition, etc.
''quite a bit'' of thought does not mean ''well'' thought
an idiot can think for months on something and the plan will still be stupid
bold for emphasis only

They lived on a highway. Maybe it could've been a broke-down motorist, or maybe a wreck, although since most people (excepting my husband) now have cell phones it seems less likely.

I'd have a hard time just not answering it, but my 8 dogs would be there to help. So would cell phone-less hubby with his gun. Yes all 8 sleep nearby at night. Hubby too. They're big and look mean. Hubby too.

The dogs would divert someone enough to at least give us a fighting chance. I hope. My husband grew up in NM. The reservation kids taught him to fight. He's resourceful.

I don't know if there really IS something they could've done differently. Or if our protection is adequate. The dog didn't help Closs's and obviously most people don't have 8.

Metal doors? Skip the fancy windows? Fortify houses with bars and an intercom to communicate with visitors before opening the castle? Move away from the highway?

People on highways or even in city sub-developments are sitting ducks if someone like James attacks. Even alarm systems only call police and by the time help arrives, you're dead.

Anonymity seems the best plan. If no one can find you you're safe. Tata. Got to pack. Moving off the grid.
Well, if we are supposed to not answer the door, stay away from the door, etc. , it’s just great that the couple that answered the door to let Jayme and the lady with dog in. Right?
It is a bit scarey in today’s world but this crime was so rare and random.

It did work for 3 months, but I"m not sure it's because it was well thought out. When you look at other people who have kidnapped women and held them for long periods of time, they've already created a "place" in which to hold them-usually rooms with restraints. Jaycee Duggard was kept in a compound built outside. Castro's victims were chained up in the basement and later in separate rooms. Fritzl constructed a series of rooms in his basement. Natascha Kampusch was held in a basement room with a hidden door constructed for her kidnapping. For all the work he put into modifying his vehicle, for Jayme's place of captivity he put her under his bed. And not in a box, like in the Colleen Stan case, but literally just under his bed. It seems that he relied on terror to keep her there, not physical restraints that others have used. And perhaps that was his plan all along. I don't know.

Under the bed allowed him to sleep unworried. Movement would awaken him.

Who knows but he could have duct taped her hands too. Or not. It's not memtioned but we don't know much.

The initial crime of kidnapping and murder feels well thought out (he bought a mask, changed the license plate, wiped down the bullets, chose a gun that would be hard to trace, staked out their house, modified his vehicle,etc). The aftermath of crime, actually holding Jayme at his house, doesn't feel well thought out at all.
Fortunately.

Well, if we are supposed to not answer the door, stay away from the door, etc. , it’s just great that the couple that answered the door to let Jayme and the lady with dog in. Right?
It is a bit scarey in today’s world but this crime was so rare and random.
That's right! Could have been anyone! What if they'd been the criminal and not a victim! Maybe they announced themselves immediately and the neighbors knew the voices!

Even with the description of a maroon or even red Taurus, it’s a very common car, I'm not sure it would have been zeroed in on especially that it was so far away from where it was registered. Should LE have issued as BOLO? probably! Would it have made a more positive outcome in this case? That's a tough answer even with hindsight imo. I do believe based on the details we know, the best outcome in this situation was for the hostage to be able to escape from the perp without the perp knowing. Honestly IMO the positive outcome of this case may have only been possible bc LE failed to alert the perp that they knew the car he was driving and that they may be closing in on him. I definately feel for LE in these situations as there is a very slim margin between recovery of a living hostage and a dead body. Obviously the perp had already showed that he would kill an innocent person as easy as most people choose weather or not they want to have white or wheat toast. If they did in fact purposely choose not reveal to the perp that they likely knew the car he was driving its hard for me to bash them based on what we don't know and the outcome of the survival of the victim. MOO

Last edited:
You know kkdi.... I do wonder about that. If DC would have made the 911 call, and hidden the phone somewhere, would LE have arrived while Patterson was still at the scene?
I think he gave himself X amount of time to get in and out. He knew about cell calls being a possibility knew how long an le response would probably take. He may have even practiced.
He just didn't plan the captivity afterward.

Don’t the LE vehicles have dash-cams? If so, was the dash-com turned-on / working in the responding officer’s car? If there is footage, how many times was it reviewed? One would think it would be carefully (re)viewed to look for all kinds of clues (ex. things tossed in the ditch area). No matter the speed of the vehicle, the video can be slowed down to view and it would have captured the Taurus. Would this not also serve as evidence?

FYI . . . I’ve been studying the Ford Taurus paint colors by year (REALLY nerding out) and I’m thinking the color is Midnight Red which was last available with the 1996 model year. Ford also has / had Toreador Red as an option but it’s a more vibrant red, Midnight casts a more marroon shade.
Ford Taurus Exterior Paint Options

My concern this becomes a how to for others.

I'm not sure there was much of a "how to" that can be learned by evil people about this crime. Nothing really stands out other than the randomness. Any crazy person can pull up to a home in the middle of the night with a gun and burst into an unsuspecting household. The wiping down of weapons and shotgun shells, dressing in disguise, switching licence plates is nothing knew to LE and the general public. MOO

Under the bed allowed him to sleep unworried. Movement would awaken him.

Who knows but he could have duct taped her hands too. Or not. It's not memtioned but we don't know much.

As others have said on here, it’s not his house and he has guest, if not weekly, certainly at random intervals.. so he had to have plausible or least odd setup Incase dad stops by, he gets in car wreck or anything that might have odd visitor.

If you read the report it states bed was angled into the corner... so it wasn’t 3 ways out it was 2 sides and sounds like he secured most but one small exit...

I think his plan was kidnap girl / assault / and ruin moms November wedding. Either that or kidnap / assault / bury in hills before next dad visit... still thinks he was stunned in today’s world they had 0 clues

He leaves house... drives by 4 cops and through 4 towns ... he likely hit other security cams before home...

Kudos to jayme ... and her cross country talents .. I can only think her legs had to be jello or partially atrified on way out house.

Last edited:
''quite a bit'' of thought does not mean ''well'' thought
an idiot can think for months on something and the plan will still be stupid
bold for emphasis only
Just want to add this thought that we don't know what his 'plan' was. It may have been carried out exactly as he wanted if his plan was to kill and kidnap a person. And I believe it was. He could have abducted Jayme other ways that did not include the killings. He chose to go to the front door, made his presence known, immediately shot and killed James. Broke into a barricaded door and found an unarmed woman and shot her. None of these deaths were necessary. They were planned. He even said he chose a shotgun because of it being so deadly. He was not on anyone's radar, so he wouldn't have been recogonized wearing that type of mask.
He planned it exactly as it turned out. In his mind he was successful in doing what he set out to do. In his mind he had completed something for probably the first time in his life. And if not for Jayme's flight for freedom, he might have committed a perfect crime.
He was outsmarted by a 13 year old Girl.

Just want to add this thought that we don't know what his 'plan' was. It may have been carried out exactly as he wanted if his plan was to kill and kidnap a person. And I believe it was. He could have abducted Jayme other ways that did not include the killings. He chose to go to the front door, made his presence known, immediately shot and killed James. Broke into a barricaded door and found an unarmed woman and shot her. None of these deaths were necessary. They were planned. He even said he chose a shotgun because of it being so deadly. He was not on anyone's radar, so he wouldn't have been recogonized wearing that type of mask.
He planned it exactly as it turned out. In his mind he was successful in doing what he set out to do. In his mind he had completed something for probably the first time in his life. And if not for Jayme's flight for freedom, he might have committed a perfect crime.
I agree
yes, --so not that well thought out if a 13 year old could outsmart him

isn't a perfect crime where 9-11 is not called during the crime?
per·fect crime
noun
  1. a crime so ingeniously contrived and carefully executed that it cannot be detected or solved
per·fect
adjective
/ˈpərfikt/
  1. 1.
    having all the required or desirable elements, qualities, or characteristics; as good as it is possible to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthseeker158