Students in MAGA hats taunting elder at Indigenous People's March

Status
Not open for further replies.
"A series of videos have surfaced online reportedly showing students from Covington Catholic High School in Park Hills, Kentucky, confronting members of the Indigenous People's March in Washington, D.C., on Friday."

Watch: Viral video shows Catholic students in MAGA hats taunting elder at Indigenous People's March

Really disturbing and ridiculous at the same time.

Apparently these kids are flunking US history. Why would they chant "build a wall" at a Native American man whose ancestors were in the US hundreds of years before the kids' immigrant ancestors? What's the point to harassing a peaceful person who isn't harming them in any way?

The veteran Haaland mentions is the man playing the hand drum. His name is Nathan Phillips, an Omaha elder who, according to Indian Country Today , is a Vietnam veteran and former director of the Native Youth Alliance.

Looks like these kids will probably be doxxed.

Really disturbing and ridiculous at the same time.

Apparently these kids are flunking US history. Why would they chant "build a wall" at a Native American man whose ancestors were in the US hundreds of years before the kids' immigrant ancestors? What's the point to harassing a peaceful person who isn't harming them in any way?

Looks like these kids will probably be doxxed.
Where were the chaperones?? As for the kids, they were the ones using their phones to record the behavior of fellow students. When will kids learn that there are consequences for their actions? There are so many great young people out there...then you have these kids...MOO

I can't watch the video again, it's so disgusting. The disrespect, the smugness, the hateful sneer from this student and the rest just reminds me again that racism and the absence of anything sacred flourishes in this country. And the absolute irony of shouting "BUILD THAT WALL" to an Indigenous person, specifically a Native American Omaha Nation who also happens to be a Vietnam Veteran is profoundly ignorant and bigoted.

Sounds like at least some of the chaperones were egging them on, based on the heavy.com article I just read. And then there's this from the mother of the student who, I think, is the one at the center of the video:

In an email to this reporter, the mother of the student right up in Phillips’ face said the story was “fake news.” She claimed that Phillips, who she referred as a “this man,” in quotation marks, was drumming close to the teen’s face. But her biggest gripe, besides saying this reporter was promoting hate, was that she alleged the students were themselves harassed. By “black Muslims.”

“Shame on you! Were you there? Did you hear the names the people where calling these boys? It was shameful. Did you witness the black Muslims yelling profanities and video taping trying to get something to futher (sic) your narrative of hatred?? Did you know that this “man” came up to this one boy and drummed in his face? Shame on you. Only reporting what you want. More fake news.”

From this article: https://heavy.com/news/2019/01/ky-catholic-teens-maga-taunts-native-american/

Sounds like at least some of the chaperones were egging them on, based on the heavy.com article I just read. And then there's this from the mother of the student who, I think, is the one at the center of the video:

From this article: https://heavy.com/news/2019/01/ky-catholic-teens-maga-taunts-native-american/
Most articles I have read say the elderly man was trying to make peace between two groups of students via his blessing song.
The student in the MAGA hat actually walked up to the elderly man and tried to stare him down.
And it was political.
Students and some adults were chanting about 'the wall' and a political name for 2020.IMO

Possibly the 'build the wall' chant was in response to the protest of the government shut-down by the indigenous people. Funding for the wall is one big reason for the shut-down. IMO

NKY Catholic school faces backlash after video of incident at Indigenous Peoples March surfaces

Iron Eyes told The Enquirer that the inaugural march was intended in part to condemn the ongoing federal government shutdown. His wife has been working without pay as a clinical director on a reservation, and he spoke about the adverse effect on many indigenous people.

About 4 p.m., the Diocese of Covington and Covington Catholic High issued a joint statement that read, in part:

"We condemn the actions of the Covington Catholic High School students towards Nathan Phillips specifically, and Native Americans in general. ... We extend our deepest apologies to Mr. Phillips. This behavior is opposed to the Church’s teachings on the dignity and respect of the human person.

"The matter is being investigated and we will take appropriate action, up to and including expulsion."

Who really started this? Longer version of the confrontation

Nathan Phillips who banged the drum in the boy's face is an experienced protester (Occupy movement)

1:39 "Go back to Europe, this is not your land."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member