Students in MAGA hats taunting elder at Indigenous People's March

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who really started this? Longer version of the confrontation

Nathan Phillips who banged the drum in the boy's face is an experienced protester (Occupy movement)

1:39 "Go back to Europe, this is not your land."
But... wait... the boy's mother said that they were being harassed by black Muslims. I saw one black guy in that entire video, and he's a Rastafarian. And he didn't say anything. I think mom must have been mistaken. :rolleyes:

ETA: Ok some black dudes at the end. That had nothing to do with the drum guy. It's all just ridiculous.

Well that was quick. Video was taken down. Sad to see it go. It sheds a totally different light on the situation that the frame that is presented by MSM.

Hope this kid and his family are OK. He did nothing wrong.

The Indigenous People's March had been planned for a year now, to raise awareness of issues that affect Indigenous People all over the world, including, but not limited to the Murdered and Missing Indigenous Women crisis #MMIW. The government shutdown has no part in what the various marches intended to bring attention to. My question is why in the world would these young men stray from their anti-abortion rally to the Indigenous People's March which ended at the Lincoln Memorial?

I am a Native American Tsalagi woman and I've never in my life shown an ounce of disrespect to an Elder. I can't comprehend doing so. I don't know any Natives who would dare disrespect an Elder.

Nathan Phillips is a greatly respected Elder from the Omaha Nation, a Vietnam Veteran, a former Director of the Native Youth Alliance, and a holder of the sacred pipe. He also holds annual sacred pipe ceremonies to honor Veterans at Arlington National Park.

Let me remind you all of something. Things such as this happen regularly to Indigenous People. This is not unusual behavior, but for some reason this instance got the attention of a huge audience. Listen to Natives when they speak. Don't take up their spaces. Don't tell us we're wrong for feeling or reacting a certain type of way.

Most articles I have read say the elderly man was trying to make peace between two groups of students via his blessing song.
The student in the MAGA hat actually walked up to the elderly man and tried to stare him down.
And it was political.
Students and some adults were chanting about 'the wall' and a political name for 2020.IMO
And in the videos I saw and listened to, and some eyewitness reports, said the incident was not that at all. I did see Mr. Phillips march up to the group of boys and then into it, so it definitely was he and his group that approached the boys. The one boy in the hat did nothing at all- basically, no response. There's more to the story, it's already been spun totally out of control ( as are most things these days) and all "sides" need to sit down and have a respectful chat with each other and issue apologies where needed. End of story.

What are the kids chanting while jumping up and down?
A school chant, apparently, from those that were there. I couldn't understand all of it but what I could sure sounded like it. It wasn't "build a wall."

A school chant, apparently, from those that were there. I couldn't understand all of it but what I could sure sounded like it. It wasn't "build a wall."
It sounded to me like “LETS GO HOME” that they were chanting as they all turned en masse to leave as they saw the coaches arrive
I may be wrong....

I watched the video above. I did not see the young man do anything but stand there, while some rude fella beat a drum near his face. I do take exception to the second young guy, who must have failed history.

The video just makes me angry. If I was the parent of one of those teens my child would be apologizing. As for the one who doesn’t know history? If I was his parent he would be spending a large amount of time hitting the books and learning about it.
I surely wouldn’t be the parent standing up for my child in this situation. I would be too horrified that my child, if nothing else, blocked the path of an elderly man.

Absolutely vile. This makes me so angry.

Quite honestly, some of these videos show the Native Americans in a bad light, and sometimes it seems everyone is a "pipe" carrier. Too many chiefs and not enough . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
The video just makes me angry. If I was the parent of one of those teens my child would be apologizing. As for the one who doesn’t know history? If I was his parent he would be spending a large amount of time hitting the books and learning about it.
I surely wouldn’t be the parent standing up for my child in this situation. I would be too horrified that my child, if nothing else, blocked the path of an elderly man.

He did not "block the path of an elderly man." The man walked towards the group, with another man with a camera in his wake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77