Found Deceased Spain - Julen Rosello, 2, fell into narrow and deep borehole, Totalán, 13 Jan 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
AFAIK nothing has been said about where exactly they believe him to be. I think they drilled down to the immediate area below the plug to be able to get a camera into the well shaft from there first, before opening the whole 4m long horizontal passage. If they see him being much further down I guess they will have to drill deeper.

I’m just thinking that with all the timeframe restrictions, why they wouldn’t go as deep as possible straight away, if they open the cavity just beneath the “plug” to see him in the bottom, they have to dig further down again, taking more time. But is there a possibility he is stuck just under the plug that they have spoken about?

Wouldn't surprise me at all if that turns out to be the next problem. I pray not. This rescue mission has had so many setbacks - enough already!

I hope no more issues either.

If the rescue pod wont fit then I dont see why they cannot just lower workers down on a wire and harness which would be much easier to fit through the hole than the entire metal rescue pod. They would only consider that if they had to, because of course they want to use the rescue pod because it keeps everyone safer in those metal rescue pods like we have seen used in Jessica's well rescue years ago.

I hope no more issues either.

If the rescue pod wont fit then I dont see why they cannot just lower workers down on a wire and harness which would be much easier to fit through the hole than the entire metal rescue pod. They would only consider that if they had to, because of course they want to use the rescue pod because it keeps everyone safer in those metal rescue pods like we have seen used in Jessica's well rescue years ago.

The terrain seems to be very unstable from what I read. They had to stop drilling two initial holes because of landslides. I guess it's too great of a risk to let the workers go down without the metal tubes. When they start hammering and drilling down there it might trigger a collapse?

The terrain seems to be very unstable from what I read. They had to stop drilling two initial holes because of landslides. I guess it's too great of a risk to let the workers go down without the metal tubes. When they start hammering and drilling down there it might trigger a collapse?

The tubes are in, so that is done. Just not sure if the rescue pod will fit through the smaller tube at the bottom. In the original hole there are not tubes so if they had to go down below the clog that might be a problem.

The tubes are in, so that is done. Just not sure if the rescue pod will fit through the smaller tube at the bottom. In the original hole there are not tubes so if they had to go down below the clog that might be a problem.

Correct. The 2nd rescue hole is now lined with "casing pipe" so even if they lowered a guy down it on a wire and harness it should be relatively safe if they had to use that method.

You are right that the hole the boy is in is the most dangerous one for the workers. Since they are coming in below him, I almost guarantee they are going to have to put in some kind of "screen trap" clear across the hole in case the entire plug gives way. If they know the boy is in the plug area they dont want all those rocks along with the boy to fall all the way to the bottom. They should be able to rig up some sort of "screen trap" or something to prevent that.

Correct. The 2nd rescue hole is now lined with "casing pipe" so even if they lowered a guy down it on a wire and harness it should be relatively safe if they had to use that method.

Oh I see. I had misread Hatfield's earlier post. Of course, with the tubes in place now they could get down on a harness instead of in the cage and be safe.

I might have missed it but is there any information on how far down the plug goes?

The geo survey that was done using some sort of device calculated the plugged area to be about 15 meters from the very bottom.
15 meters = 49.2 feet from bottom.

Total length of hole is roughly 250 or 300 feet depending on which article you read

From your link above:
What if the child isn’t there?

In the event that the rescue team has made the wrong estimation about Julen’s whereabouts, “the miners will have to dig upwards and widen the well’s diameter, Suárez explained.

The graphics they use in their story may simply be an unfortunate choice but, from the author’s perspective, it looks as though they’re working with the theory Julen’s body itself plugged the hole. (✝️)

upload_2019-1-23_19-24-1.jpeg

What’s the next step in mission to rescue Julen?

They really cannot put "casing pipe" in the hole the boy fell into because laying down the casing pipe is fairly violent as the pipe bounces along the sides of the hole and so it would have just caused more debris to fall down on top of the plug/clog.

What they likely did though is they probably put a protective metal grated screen just over the very top of the hole to prevent the workers from kicking any more debris into the hole.

I see the clog now and that is a sad sight to see. I really wish they could have somehow put a water line with a "baby bottle rubber nipple" type thing on the end to get some water down to the boys mouth. They would have needed to also lower a camera down on a wire but we know they have those small cameras called "bore hole cameras" that can be used for that. The big problem they were worried about is making the situation worse for the boy but after 5 days I really think they should have tried that to somehow get a small water line and camera down to the boy.

It would have been very risky but they may have been able to use a very small diameter long metal rod and poke a hole big enough through the clog for a water line and camera.

Its just been too long now and I dont see how he can make it now but I will keep praying. Maybe the workers thought they could reach the boy without the delays I am reading about. Once they started with their 2nd hole drilling plan it was probably a decision they needed to stick with due to time constraints.

Uggggg. I will keep praying for a miracle.[/Q
I think the same way Angleterre and I don't think it sounds morbid at all.

But first there will be lots of pain, regret, and grieving for these parents. That is the hard part, and it's only beginning. I can't even imagine what they are going through now. Sending them strength and comfort. I hope this ordeal of waiting will soon be over.

I guess it is time to say it is beyond a miracle at this point, and entering the realm of impossibility. I guess we can only pray that Julen's family is prepared for the worst, as it seems that is in reality what lies ahead. If Julen has passed on, we can only hope it wasn't lingering and painful and that he is brought back to the surface with dignity and care. Awful, I can't imagine going through the tragedies this family has suffered.

The geo survey that was done using some sort of device calculated the plugged area to be about 15 meters from the very bottom.
15 meters = 49.2 feet from bottom.

Total length of hole is roughly 250 or 300 feet depending on which article you read

As I understood it the 15 meters were said to be below the plug and empty, described as an airpocket, which led to hopes that Julen might be alive.

ANALYSIS: As mentioned before, the well (-83m) is deeper than the stop where #Julen should be (-72m). They created this difference on purpose so the debris for the horizontal tunnel can be left there, and the miners don't have to bring debris to the surface. This saves time. 1/2

However, this evening the rescue team decided (due to setbacks) to reduce the diameter of the lowest 10 meters of pipes. Now there is no way the capsule/elevator can go deeper than -73m: it's too wide for the pipes. So if #Julen is much lower than -72m, it's a big problem. 2/2

GHoeberX (@ghoeberx) on Twitter

Dxoidx4WoAE0hyJ.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads