Found Alive WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #42

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do we take down the next one though? JP had no background and was off the radar.

I really do not see any answers. Another ironic thing is the guy most likely to do something like this probably would have been his brother who was on and will always be on the radar.

I don’t know. I will always stand pat you can’t predict future human behavior.

What's the old saying....the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior? Maybe when we learn from a reliable source about JP's past behavior we'll have more to go on. There will be a trial and/or someone will write a book and we'll know. I miss Ann Rule; she would have been all over this case!

What's the old saying....the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior? Maybe when we learn from a reliable source about JP's past behavior we'll have more to go on. There will be a trial and/or someone will write a book and we'll know. I miss Ann Rule; she would have been all over this case!
Yeah. When all is said and done, and we learn more about him and his upbringing, I’m confident that we will see a pattern of disturbing behavior that is loaded with red flags.

We’re already getting a bit of that picture.

I don’t think that anyone could have predicted that he would commit a crime like this, but I do think that it would have been possible to predict some sort of future criminal behavior.

This case is unusual as typically there is a criminal history that serves as a build up to more serious crimes.

This guy went from 0-100.

He left two teenaged boys in a house alone. So did the mother, for that matter, though she was in a different town some distance away. We don't know exactly what the arrangement was, or how often any parent came by to check on things, but personally, I would say that qualifies as giving up parental responsibility. I don't see it as blame, since we don't know that's what caused this to happen, but I think it's OK to look at the perp's past.
My only problem is that this was said by a neighbor, same as with the foster care info. We aren’t giving much credence to the foster care comment at this time, so I’m not sure how much weight we can give this supposed fact, either. So far, none of his friends from high school have mentioned it, including the one who claimed he hung out there a lot and stayed the night. It would seem worth mentioning to me.

I think you are pretty close other than I think the living room is front left and Jayme's bedroom is the back right. Based on some of the things that have come out like a remark from the PT with regard to Jayme's room. The picture window on the front of the house on the left also fits a living room more than the bedroom. Otherwise I think it is very close. jmo.
Thanks for the feedback.

According to the complaint,
There was blood and brain splattering on the west wall directly behind the wooden entrance door
So there is no open living area behind the door on the front west side. It might have been a living room window ages ago, but the internal might have been modified.
Detective Nelson observed there were lights on in the main floor master bedroom in the
northwest corner of the residence and the main floor bathroom of the residence. Detective
Nelson observed that James was lying on his back with his head partially under the kitchen
table and chairs. James was lying in an east to west direction. Detective Nelson observed that
James’ body was located in front of the wooden entry door and that James’ legs obstructed the
full opening of that door.
Since master bedroom is on NW corner, I guess the front West room is Jayme's. Panty thief's evidence is discounted as I don't think it was verified.

Since James's head was near the kitchen table and chairs, the kitchen/dining must be at the front East side.

And as it is called an open living area (this is not from the complaint, just remember reading it somewhere), the living room is perhaps on the East back end.

Yes I agree that the floor plans are important evidence that will be presented at the trial. I just need to do one for myself so I can visualize things and not get totally confused:)

Nobody is on a burn the parents witch hunt.

Go back to the article, look closely at the annual events recorded, and observe the overall cycle.

JTP's attack isn't random, unfathomable, accidental, or otherwise inconceivable, except to those who refuse to recognize major themes developed.

As far as I am concerned, this is simply another lesson for all of us to learn how to detect and take down the next one.

So we have a prolonged period between 2007-2012 in which it's unclear what is going on or guiding JTP.

Will be on the watch for anything else that surfaces there.

Yeah. I don't have the timeline in front of me and now I can't see it without paying, but it looked like at some point, he was living with his mother in Minong, for a while in middle school, I think, and then at another point, returned to the Gordon house, and at a third point, the father left. That's a lot of years of being shuffled around and then unsupervised.

Of course, lots of kids undergo similar shuffling in a divorce, but what jumps out to me are the years with no parent in the house, years when one would have been desperately needed. Not blame so much as an observation.

Respectfully, that's your assumption. Also, when your siblings are 4 and 5 years older, you certainly don't share many teen years. MOO

It's not my assumption. Neighbors said they were living there alone when they were teenagers, he and his brother who is 3 years older.

Last edited:
My only problem is that this was said by a neighbor, same as with the foster care info. We aren’t giving much credence to the foster care comment at this time, so I’m not sure how much weight we can give this supposed fact, either. So far, none of his friends from high school have mentioned it, including the one who claimed he hung out there a lot and stayed the night. It would seem worth mentioning to me.

OK, fair enough. If the neighbors turn out not to be credible or it's never proven, then I'll retract my observation about them living alone. I don't recall the foster care idea.

Hormel Foods on Twitter
. @Jennieo & @HormelFoods to donate $25,000 reward to Jayme Closs: https://bddy.me/2Weai1W

DxoQKFdX4AESrC3.jpg

Thanks @PommyMommy - the most thorough account of JP and family life thus far including birth, sibling trouble, family finances, and divorce.

By all appearances, no traumatic events, and seemingly raised in stable environment. Although isolated from community members, JP was reportedly still maintaining contact with his immediate family members. Also, take note there's been zero report here or elsewhere of alleged foster care --as provided earlier by unnamed neighbor. BBM

Seems the consensus of his community remains unchanged --they saw no warnings of JP's atrocities.

Now, his classmates and their families struggle to make sense of the news.

"He isn't the person I would've guessed out of my class to do something like this," said a woman who attended Northwood with Patterson for 12 years; like several other classmates, she asked that her name not be used. "It makes all of us who knew him sad … but it also makes a lot of us angry.

"We trusted this classmate and friend," she said, "and he did something horrible."

MOO

Jake Patterson, accused of abducting Jayme Closs, isolated himself after high school
Did you see today's expose of JP and family. I'm quite certain if there was any truth to the alleged foster care (as alleged by a single unnamed neighbor), it would have been in this article. MOO

Hormel Foods and Jennie-O Turkey Store Announce Their Plan to Donate $25,000 Reward Directly to Jayme Closs | Hormel Foods
JANUARY 23, 2019
BARRON, WIS.

During a company event today, Hormel Foods announced that it is working with law enforcement officials to move forward with its plans to donate the company’s $25,000 reward contribution directly to Jayme Closs.

“On behalf of the entire Jennie-O and Hormel Foods family, we are overjoyed at the news of Jayme’s safe return,” said Jim Snee, chairman of the board, president and chief executive officer at Hormel Foods. “Her bravery and strength have truly inspired our team members around the world. Barron is an incredibly strong community and one that never lost hope. We celebrated with the community, and the world, that Jayme is home.”

“First and foremost, Jennie-O Turkey Store is a family,” said Steve Lykken, Jennie-O Turkey Store president. “Here in Barron our Jennie-O family is dealing with a very tragic situation. While we are still mourning the loss of longtime family members Jim and Denise, we are so thankful for Jayme’s brave escape and that she is back in Barron. The company has expressed its wishes to donate the $25,000 to Jayme. Our hope is that a trust fund can be used for Jayme’s needs today and in the future.”

Yeah. When all is said and done, and we learn more about him and his upbringing, I’m confident that we will see a pattern of disturbing behavior that is loaded with red flags.

We’re already getting a bit of that picture.

I don’t think that anyone could have predicted that he would commit a crime like this, but I do think that it would have been possible to predict some sort of future criminal behavior.

This case is unusual as typically there is a criminal history that serves as a build up to more serious crimes.

This guy went from 0-100.

He went from 0-100 as far as anyone appeared to know, but I bet in his mind, it was a slow burn.

Who Is Jake Patterson? Alleged Jayme Closs Abductor Lived Under The Radar | HuffPost

Not to beat this into the ground, but the neighbors are named. They could just be wrong, of course.

"Patterson’s parents divorced in 2008, according to online court records. Neighbor DR<modsnip> told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that the parents moved away but that Patterson and his older brother, E<modsnip>, continued to stay in the cabin. She said she and her husband once caught them siphoning gas. Another neighbor, PO<modsnip>, told the Minneapolis Star Tribune that the brothers often got into trouble. She said they stole things and spent time in foster care."

Last edited by a moderator:
How do we take down the next one though? JP had no background and was off the radar.

I really do not see any answers. Another ironic thing is the guy most likely to do something like this probably would have been his brother who was on and will always be on the radar.

I don’t know. I will always stand pat you can’t predict future human behavior.

No other person should shoulder responsibility for what occurred but JTP.
Yet volumes of introspection behind his decisions reflect directly to openly observable events.
Seems to me, twould be infinitely easier to discern a kid running off the rails in a smaller community where connections tend to be tight knit & secrets more easily revealed, than concealed.

Everyone active in this thread has brought up great points so as to flesh out the perp & the purpose behind this callous crime. Everything on it's own, alone is not enough to raise concern
To date, this looks that care was constantly lacking where cracks in the facade coalesced.
Without internal structure to withstand unresolved weakness, we see JTP seeking power both in imagery and strategy in liu of anchoring practice.
Perhaps it was 'all organic', however we've frequently found violent predators to be at least partially a product of their environments.
Attraction to exacting an aggressive fantasy comes not of genetic markers, but psychological factors (that which you think, you become).

I'm especially fond of this observation:
Okay got around subscription issue by just typing title of article in Google...
JP is a fan of video games, novels by Tom Clancy (mostly military), the board game Risk, also military. He began to isolate before graduation/ marines rejection, so that blow wasn’t 100% the snap-factor. Maybe the straw that broke the camel’s back? Divorce+custody bouncing+ brother in jail +failure to snag dream career + isolation + time = stealth mode murder & kidnapping? This is a head shaker for sure.

Lesson? When someone goes apesh*t AWOL isolationist, it may mean things are not going well AT ALL, and some serious intervention is needed.

Yeah. I don't have the timeline in front of me and now I can't see it without paying, but it looked like at some point, he was living with his mother in Minong, for a while in middle school, I think, and then at another point, returned to the Gordon house, and at a third point, the father left. That's a lot of years of being shuffled around and then unsupervised.

Of course, lots of kids undergo similar shuffling in a divorce, but what jumps out to me are the years with no parent in the house, years when one would have been desperately needed. Not blame so much as an observation.

It's not my assumption. Neighbors said they were living there alone when they were teenagers, he and his brother who is 3 years older.
I don’t recall shuffling in terms of custody changing, but only that they were supposed to spend half the time with each parent because they lived close enough to do that.

All Patterson's major life failures & disappointments, occurred in the fall:

-Oct. 30, 2007: The couple file jointly for divorce, saying in a hand-written petition their union is “irretrievably broken.” They agree to split the cost of raising the kids, and Patrick agrees to insure them with a plan he has through his employer, an electrical supply company.

-Oct. 13, 2012: Erik Patterson is accused of fourth-degree sexual assault. He pleads no contest; a Buffalo County judge sentences him to a year's probation.

-Oct. 28, 2013: Erik Patterson is arrested in Douglas County on charges including two low-level felonies accusing him of manufacturing or delivering THC, as well as a bail-jumping misdemeanor. He later pleads no contest and is convicted. His Buffalo County probation is revoked; he's given an eight-month jail sentence.

-Oct. 20, 2015: The Marine Corps kicks Patterson out of basic training five weeks into a 13-week program.

-Early October, 2018
: Patterson continues to live at South Eau Claire Acres. His father has moved out.

Excellent catch!

I don’t recall shuffling in terms of custody changing, but only that they were supposed to spend half the time with each parent because they lived close enough to do that.

I say shuffling because the parents lived in different school districts, and he appears to have changed districts and homes a couple of times. I didn't mean to imply that custody changed.

I keep seeing references to the "class photo" and how him sitting it out is an example of...something. Being anti social maybe?

To me, that is not a class photo. That looks like a bunch of kids from his grade were hanging out in the library and someone said, "Hey, let's take a picture" so they all grouped together. While it may technically be a picture of a bunch of his classmates, it doesn't look like any kind of official "class photo" I've ever seen. As both an avid reader and someone who actively disliked everyone in my graduating class, I would have rather sat there and continued reading my book, too.

I honestly don't think it's weird that he didn't seem to keep in touch with the people from his class. I think it's more strange when people don't move on and find new interests, friends, and opportunities outside of high school. To me, it's not weird that he didn't have many friends in his grade and that he didn't keep up them after school-it's that he never actually seemed to move at all. If he'd gained new friends, found himself a niche with like-minded people, etc. then that would make sense. But he didn't.

What I find fascinating about this crime is that there are very few things in his past that we've been able to analyze and definitively say, "Yeah, that's weird. That's a sign." There are no great smoking guns here.A few hot ones here and there, but not smoking. Lots of kids parents get divorced, people move off the grid, some people don't have cell phones (let alone smart phones), many people don't fit in with their high school, etc but they don't go on to become killers.

I am very interested in this guy's brain. Schizophrenia can be adult onset and is usually recognized in young men as they first reach adulthood. I am not implying that JP is schizophrenic (the majority of schizophrenics are not violent at all), but I DO wonder if some wires got crossed during puberty or shortly thereafter. An onset of something (I don't know what) that either wasn't there before or wasn't as pronounced. And then, along with a bunch of other things that would normally NOT affect a healthy person, a perfect storm of crazy was created.

Thanks for the feedback.

According to the complaint,

So there is no open living area behind the door on the front west side. It might have been a living room window ages ago, but the internal might have been modified.

Since master bedroom is on NW corner, I guess the front West room is Jayme's. Panty thief's evidence is discounted as I don't think it was verified.

Since James's head was near the kitchen table and chairs, the kitchen/dining must be at the front East side.

And as it is called an open living area (this is not from the complaint, just remember reading it somewhere), the living room is perhaps on the East back end.

Yes I agree that the floor plans are important evidence that will be presented at the trial. I just need to do one for myself so I can visualize things and not get totally confused:)

Definitely do not know that I am right, you may well be.

I too wondered about the blood spatter to the west. This could even be a 3 br home although most have settled at two on the main floor at least.

I also though do not see blood going west and Jim falling east at all except for perhaps a certain angle of shooting him perhaps?

We truly know nothing but the PT, if truthful and who knows (I give a perp's word no credit), is one thing we do have. And the picture window. If Jayme's bedroom is at the front of the house in the nw corner, then there is no way he came through the patio door and went right ever in the house pretty much per PT statement.

I have wondered about the west spatter but to me it does not fit no matter what the room is quite honestly because we do agree on he fell right toward the kitchen/dining where we agree. You could be right, the house may have been modified but it also sounds like Jim looked out that picture window, etc., I just believe it is the living room. Could there be a west partition wall in the living room for a short hallway to the master, I have no idea...

Again you may be right but I lean the other way both due to him, windows, etc. We did hear at one point it was open concept and I think of open concept as living/dining/kitchen. Hard to say.

The west thing in the complaint though throws me all of the way around, no matter what the room. I also believe it is something that has not yet been discussed.

We have so little, pics are meant to show us nothing, etc. Maybe one day we will know. :)

ETA: I meant in the southwest corner re Jayme's room.

I keep seeing references to the "class photo" and how him sitting it out is an example of...something. Being anti social maybe?

To me, that is not a class photo. That looks like a bunch of kids from his grade were hanging out in the library and someone said, "Hey, let's take a picture" so they all grouped together. While it may technically be a picture of a bunch of his classmates, it doesn't look like any kind of official "class photo" I've ever seen. As both an avid reader and someone who actively disliked everyone in my graduating class, I would have rather sat there and continued reading my book, too.

I honestly don't think it's weird that he didn't seem to keep in touch with the people from his class. I think it's more strange when people don't move on and find new interests, friends, and opportunities outside of high school. To me, it's not weird that he didn't have many friends in his grade and that he didn't keep up them after school-it's that he never actually seemed to move at all. If he'd gained new friends, found himself a niche with like-minded people, etc. then that would make sense. But he didn't.

What I find fascinating about this crime is that there are very few things in his past that we've been able to analyze and definitively say, "Yeah, that's weird. That's a sign." There are no great smoking guns here.A few hot ones here and there, but not smoking. Lots of kids parents get divorced, people move off the grid, some people don't have cell phones (let alone smart phones), many people don't fit in with their high school, etc but they don't go on to become killers.

I am very interested in this guy's brain. Schizophrenia can be adult onset and is usually recognized in young men as they first reach adulthood. I am not implying that JP is schizophrenic (the majority of schizophrenics are not violent at all), but I DO wonder if some wires got crossed during puberty or shortly thereafter. An onset of something (I don't know what) that either wasn't there before or wasn't as pronounced. And then, along with a bunch of other things that would normally NOT affect a healthy person, a perfect storm of crazy was created.

Hmm, interesting admissions; but this is about someone else entirely, now known for unnatural actions. Perhaps, we try too hard to shove the pieces into the wrong place, and are rewarded with more puzzles.
Feels like this one would be known for another sort of shooting; somehow decided to make it a '2-for' and everyone is extremely lucky he didn't drag Jayme off into the abyss with him when he got tired of this.

Looks about time to petition for an MRI on the cretin, since nothing else has nailed JTP to the crazy cross. Wouldn't it be wonderful to have ALL the answers we want, he could get away on technicalities so his family can quit feeling so hurt and scared?

Hmmm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member