MO - Off-duty officer (Katlyn Alix) shot dead by on-duty officer (Nathaniel Hendren), Jan 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
<modsnip> I am sure they will do a Thorough investigation, that will take several hours to complete. It sounds like they've already got their theory about some innocent Russian Roulette takeoff game that went horribly wrong being the reason this woman is dead. Now how many of you would have come up with that as what happened?

It is a lucky break that they have a sort of impartial witness, the partner of the accused. It's just too bad he happened to leave the room right before the fatal gunshot. Clearly he knew that this was not as fun a game as say Trivial Pursuit, but he can still give an honest account of what transpired, since the person who got shot can't say much. Dead women tell no tales.

<modsnip>

ESWBBM (Every Single Word Bolded By Me):

SoCalD, this post is brilliant! One word only in reply:

Stet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just another "officer involved shooting while on duty", the fact that 2 of the officers on duty, were in an apartment not even in the precinct where they were supposedly working...there are so many issues here...

But, if we were to break it down to regular people, two employees of "McDonald's" were not at work, they were in an apartment...

1. They would be dismissed, for not being at work.

The employees shot another employee..

2. They would have been arrested and incarcerated in a heartbeat.

BUT, because these are Police Officers, they are obviously above all laws for actual citizens. They were not fired or arrested and incarcerated.

Mic drop, walk off stage in complete disgust.

You are wrong on several counts.

1 if they worked at McDonald’s they would not be in a position to serve the customers. The two officers were two miles away from their precinct boundary. They were still in the City of St Louis and available to respond to calls. It is quite customary for a police officer to be outside his precinct for a myriad of reasons. Using their own bathroom, seeing their kids, eating, changing clothes, doing Investigations, and so on. There is not a fence around the precinct boundaries.

2. Not necessarily. When a gun goes off and kills another person the investigators look for a motive and malice. If there is neither it would not be unusual, if the suspect was a local resident, to release him pending further investigation.

3. Police officers are guaranteed the same right to due process as you are.

You are wrong on several counts.

1 if they worked at McDonald’s they would not be in a position to serve the customers. The two officers were two miles away from their precinct boundary. They were still in the City of St Louis and available to respond to calls. It is quite customary for a police officer to be outside his precinct for a myriad of reasons. Using their own bathroom, seeing their kids, eating, changing clothes, doing Investigations, and so on. There is not a fence around the precinct boundaries.

2. Not necessarily. When a gun goes off and kills another person the investigators look for a motive and malice. If there is neither it would not be unusual, if the suspect was a local resident, to release him pending further investigation.

3. Police officers are guaranteed the same right to due process as you are.

Due process? Of course, regular citizens would have been processed in custody until a bail hearing.

These officers were not at their duty station. End of discussion.

Motive and Malice? I believe that no one "plays" Russian Roulette with a loaded gun. Also, a happily married woman is usually at home in the middle of the night with her husband, not at another man's apartment.

Just another "officer involved shooting while on duty", the fact that 2 of the officers on duty, were in an apartment not even in the precinct where they were supposedly working...there are so many issues here...

But, if we were to break it down to regular people, two employees of "McDonald's" were not at work, they were in an apartment...

1. They would be dismissed, for not being at work.

The employees shot another employee..

2. They would have been arrested and incarcerated in a heartbeat.

BUT, because these are Police Officers, they are obviously above all laws for actual citizens. They were not fired or arrested and incarcerated.

Mic drop, walk off stage in complete disgust.

Just now catching up on this story and am aghast at what transpired. Unbelievable, incredibly poor judgment and complete lack of responsibility and common sense. Extreme stupidity. Just wow.

No, neither of these people should keep their jobs. They're not fit for service in law enforcement. How was this allowed to happen? How common is this kind of behavior? Why aren't supervisors monitoring patrolmen? So many questions.

But, no, these people aren't qualified to serve, period. They're entitled to due process, like any other citizen, but the nature of their job is such that the public should not be subjected to having people like them on the force. If they have to remain employed, stick them in a job where they have no real responsibilities and no interaction with the public. Mopping floors or something.

Isn’t anyone questioning the partner/police officer’s account of events?
Is anyone really investigating this case?

The only other people investigating it are other law enforcement officers, so... They need an impartial panel for this one. Maybe a judge, a physician, local citizen, etc.

The only other people investigating it are other law enforcement officers, so... They need an impartial panel for this one. Maybe a judge, a physician, local citizen, etc.

Agreed. If the chief wanted impartial investigation he could easily call the FBI for a complete investigation.

I don't see that happening.

Roger that.

Thank you for your response, and for your service as a LEO, Falcon.

I will not press you on your theories, as I can appreciate that being verified LE yourself, you may feel conflicted about saying any more than what you have here.

Thank you. I’m not conflicted on this case. I was one of the first to call this thing as suspicious.
Roger that.

Thank you for your response, and for your service as a LEO, Falcon.

I will not press you on your theories, as I can appreciate that being verified LE yourself, you may feel conflicted about saying any more than what you have here.

Thank you.

Not conflicted in fact I may have been one of the first to call this a shaky case. I’ve been trying to explain to the other guy that being outside your beat is a very common thing (not for meeting with an attractive coworker) and that not immediately locking someone up in a similar case is not unusual.

Thank you. I’m not conflicted on this case. I was one of the first to call this thing as suspicious.

Thank you.

Not conflicted in fact I may have been one of the first to call this a shaky case. I’ve been trying to explain to the other guy that being outside your beat is a very common thing (not for meeting with an attractive coworker) and that not immediately locking someone up in a similar case is not unusual.

Thanks, Falcon!

If you were the investigating officer on this case, what would that process look like?
What questions would you want to ask both of the surviving officers?
What evidence would be most critical to you?

Make sure to read this statement from the Circuit Attorney Kim Davis's Office here. You can be assured Ms. Davis has no love for LE in general.
Circuit Attorney on Twitter

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. Where in her statement did Ms Davis indicate that she has no love for LE in general?

Here's a tweet just below the one you linked

Circuit Attorney on Twitter

We urge the media and community to refrain from speculation and drawing conclusions regarding the death of the @SLMPD officer this morning. The victim and the officers involved deserve a fair and impartial review of the evidence and facts.

. I’ve been trying to explain to the other guy that being outside your beat is a very common thing (not for meeting with an attractive coworker) and that not immediately locking someone up in a similar case is not unusual.

Quote snipped by me

Thanks for your insight and analysis. I remember listening to my family's police scanner decades ago, and if a patrol unit/officer needed to stop by his home or even just take a "break" outside their usual zone, they would ask for permission over the radio. IIRC, there was a particular number-code that applied.

For instance, I would hear their request as "Unit 290 requesting a 99 at 00 Baker Street" IMO
Is that still a "thing" with police agencies? If you know, of course! :)

Quote snipped by me

Thanks for your insight and analysis. I remember listening to my family's police scanner decades ago, and if a patrol unit/officer needed to stop by his home or even just take a "break" outside their usual zone, they would ask for permission over the radio. IIRC, there was a particular number-code that applied.

For instance, I would hear their request as "Unit 290 requesting a 99 at 00 Baker Street" IMO
Is that still a "thing" with police agencies? If you know, of course! :)

Exactly. You don't just wander wherever you want while on duty.

I do sort of feel for the guy's partner, catch 22, luck of the draw who you get, and if you don't "get along" it can go badly for you, I definitely know that. I was once in an intolerable situation like this at work, partner had zero ethics and integrity. Supervisor had even less. Guess who ended up leaving? I don't see the partner being able to save face here...unless it all gets swept away.

It's St Louis politics. So...

It is well known in the St. Louis community that the relationship between the Circuit Attorney's office and the police department is shaky at best. Very political. It will be interesting to see if there is an independent investigation into this strange case. I sure hope so. Otherwise, there will always be questions about the real story. St. Louis police department has enough outside criticism to deal with. They really need to be transparent with this to protect their reputation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77