OR - Public health emergency declared over measles anti-vax hotspot near Portland and NY, Jan 2019

BayouBelle_LA

Reaction score
Public health emergency declared over measles in anti-vax hotspot near Portland, Oregon

A public health emergency has been declared in Clark County, Washington, as a result of an ongoing measles outbreak. According to the latest update from the county's Department of Health, 23 cases of measleshave been confirmed and health officials are investigating two more suspected cases.

Measles is so contagious, in fact, that if one person has it, 90 percent of the people close to that person who are not immune will also become infected, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

While some children cannot be fully vaccinated for medical reasons, others skip the shots because of their parents' religious or philosophical beliefs. A major reason behind choosing not to vaccinate children is the false and disproven claim that vaccines were linked to autism.

Here's how to sway vaccine skeptics

There's A State Of Emergency In Washington Thanks To Anti-Vax Parents

Once upon a time, the United States had eliminated the measles, but outbreaks have increased as the anti-vaccine movement takes hold — and 18 states now allow for non-medical “philosophical” vaccination exemptions.

Here’s why the current outbreak in Washington is a perfect example of what can happen when parents do not vaccinate their children for philosophical or religious reasons — and how exactly that can put their own kids, and others, at risk.

“The fact is, this never would have happened if all of those children were immunized, or even if most of them were immunized,” John Lynch, medical director of infection control at UW Medicine’s Harborview Medical Center, told HuffPost. “Being vaccinated provides very good protection against the measles.”

Public health emergency declared over measles in anti-vax hotspot near Portland, Oregon

A public health emergency has been declared in Clark County, Washington, as a result of an ongoing measles outbreak. According to the latest update from the county's Department of Health, 23 cases of measleshave been confirmed and health officials are investigating two more suspected cases.

Measles is so contagious, in fact, that if one person has it, 90 percent of the people close to that person who are not immune will also become infected, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

While some children cannot be fully vaccinated for medical reasons, others skip the shots because of their parents' religious or philosophical beliefs. A major reason behind choosing not to vaccinate children is the false and disproven claim that vaccines were linked to autism.

Here's how to sway vaccine skeptics

False and disproven claim?

I have not read where they have proven it is not from vaccines, I must have missed that tidbit.

If they don’t know what causes it then how do they what doesn’t cause it.

I graduated HS “74” never ever were there kids with autism. Never in public, on vacation, never. How did it all the sudden surface?

American Academy of Pediatrics Emphasizes Safety and Importance of Vaccines

Claims that vaccines are linked to autism, or are unsafe when administered according to the recommended schedule, have been disproven by a robust body of medical literature. Delaying vaccines only leaves a child at risk of disease. Vaccines keep communities healthy, and protect some of the most vulnerable in our society, including the elderly, and children who are too young to be vaccinated or have compromised immune systems.

Vaccine Safety: Examine the Evidence

Vaccines Do Not Cause Autism Concerns | Vaccine Safety | CDC

I graduated HS “74” never ever were there kids with autism. Never in public, on vacation, never. How did it all the sudden surface?
They were most likely put away in institutions or hidden at home, like other kids that were considered as not perfect, be it for mental or physical reasons. Here's an article about older adults with autism: The missing generation

And an article about the real reasons why the numbers of kids with diagnosed autism is going up: The Real Reasons Autism Rates Are Up in the U.S.

The diagnosis code for autism wasn't included in the "Diagnostic and Statistical Manual for Mental Disorders" in the U.S. until 1980, six years after you graduated, so if there were children with autism at your school, they had some other kind of diagnosis, if any.

Last edited:
People don't trust the gov't. Remember most parents believe their children are the most important persons on Earth. The gov't had to do a lot of research and study and share that information before the public was willing to trust vaccinations in the beginning. And rightfully so, nobody should trust meds blindly. The gov't did the work and people responded and we eraticated many deadly diseases. Then the 1970s began and problems with vaccinations resulted in the creation of the federal vacicine compensation fund the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program | Official web site of the U.S. Health Resources & Services Administration Many people don't know about the fund, and when they find out, they think the gov't has been lying, which they are known to do. Then they find out the fund has paid out 4 billion dollars for injured children. Add to that the fact that the parents of today have never experienced the horrors of the diseases because they were vaccinated, and you have people who are scared to vaccinate their children. The gov't needs to fund private reasearch again to prove the safety of vaccinations if they want to stop the spread of these horrible diseases. They are never going to win over the public with shaming and insults.
Vaccine Injury Compensation Data | Official web site of the U.S. Health Resources & Services Administration

In Sweden 97 percent of all children born in 2015 are vaccinated with the measels, rubella and mumps vaccine, and the numbers are similar among children born between 2006 and 2015. The children are also vaccinated for several other diseases, including Haemophilus influenzae. The anti-vaccine scare isn't that strong here, most parents follow the guidelines for vaccinations, and the shots are free at the child healthcare centres.
Info in Swedish: Anslutningen till barnvaccinationsprogrammet fortsatt hög — Folkhälsomyndigheten

There isn't any big anti-vax movement in the UK. Like Sweden it's all free.

I think the reason anti-vaxxers exist in such big numbers in the US is partly due to poverty embarrassment. If someone can't afford shots for their kids it suits them to believe all the anti-vax nonsense. Over generations this attitude has snowballed.

There isn't any big anti-vax movement in the UK. Like Sweden it's all free.

I think the reason anti-vaxxers exist in such big numbers in the US is partly due to poverty embarrassment. If someone can't afford shots for their kids it suits them to believe all the anti-vax nonsense. Over generations this attitude has snowballed.
Actually many fire departments give free innoculations the month before school starts and school nurses will give free vaccinations. I used to use both for my son, not because I couldn't afford medical care since I've always had high quality insurance, but because it was so quick and easy.. It also seems that anti-vaxxing is from more affluent Americans.

Actually many fire departments give free innoculations the month before school starts and school nurses will give free vaccinations. I used to use both for my son, not because I couldn't afford medical care since I've always had high quality insurance, but because it was so quick and easy.. It also seems that anti-vaxxing is from more affluent Americans.

Really? I must have thought it was a financial matter as that seemed to be the only logical reason for it to me.

People don't trust the gov't. Remember most parents believe their children are the most important persons on Earth. The gov't had to do a lot of research and study and share that information before the public was willing to trust vaccinations in the beginning. And rightfully so, nobody should trust meds blindly. The gov't did the work and people responded and we eraticated many deadly diseases. Then the 1970s began and problems with vaccinations resulted in the creation of the federal vacicine compensation fund the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program | Official web site of the U.S. Health Resources & Services Administration Many people don't know about the fund, and when they find out, they think the gov't has been lying, which they are known to do. Then they find out the fund has paid out 4 billion dollars for injured children. Add to that the fact that the parents of today have never experienced the horrors of the diseases because they were vaccinated, and you have people who are scared to vaccinate their children. The gov't needs to fund private reasearch again to prove the safety of vaccinations if they want to stop the spread of these horrible diseases. They are never going to win over the public with shaming and insults.
Vaccine Injury Compensation Data | Official web site of the U.S. Health Resources & Services Administration

Great post. This really helps explain how we got to this point.

No, the antivax movement has nothing to do with finances, it's driven by fear caused by the upswing in autism.
It's easy to blame the upswing in autism (if there really are) on vaccines, as it's something parents can easily avoid to have their vaccinated, and that won't affect their lifestyle. If there is an upswing of autism (as well as other health problems with children such as asthma, ADHD and so on), I would think it depends on other things such as the change in the last 50 to 60 years or so when it comes to dietary habits, use of chemicals in cleaning and other household products, skin care products, food and beverage, if fact all the things that surround us and makes our lives easier. That's things more difficult to avoid, and would demand a very huge change in lifestyles, not only for the parents but for society at large.
JMOO

It's easy to blame the upswing in autism (if there really are) on vaccines, as it's something parents can easily avoid to have their vaccinated, and that won't affect their lifestyle. If there is an upswing of autism (as well as other health problems with children such as asthma, ADHD and so on), I would think it depends on other things such as the change in the last 50 to 60 years or so when it comes to dietary habits, use of chemicals in cleaning and other household products, skin care products, food and beverage, if fact all the things that surround us and makes our lives easier. That's things more difficult to avoid, and would demand a very huge change in lifestyles, not only for the parents but for society at large.
JMOO
The reason vaccinations were blamed is because a scientist put out a report claiming the MMR causes autism in 1985. It caught like wildfire.

we had an outbreak of measles in NY up in Rockland and Orange counties among the hassidic community only about a month or so ago . I wasnt aware there was a lack of vaccinations in that community until then.

Back when I was a child, there were kids with polio. Remember the iron lung? Rmember the kids in your class that were blind or deaf?

Remember the signs on doors of homes where kids had communicable,disease?

Remember the state schools for blind and deaf children?

The anti vaxx people have grown up in a world free of childhood illnesses. They think this is the way the world is.

As far as chemicals, yes, we have a lot. But there were plenty of horrid chemcials before. Think DDT and Love Canal, Think how mosquitoes used to ve killed vy putting oil on water. Think about how everythimg was thrown into unlined dumps.

We played with mercury balls in school. Little balls of meecury that were the size of a pearl.

Lead paint everywhere.

Luckily for kids with autism, it is recognized now so that there are interventions that work.

I do not see anti vaxx as the poor. I see lots of them being into the alernative world which means a lot of well to do who seem to have never taken science in school .

Back when I was a child, there were kids with polio. Remember the iron lung? Rmember the kids in your class that were blind or deaf?

Remember the signs on doors of homes where kids had communicable,disease?

Remember the state schools for blind and deaf children?

The anti vaxx people have grown up in a world free of childhood illnesses. They think this is the way the world is.

As far as chemicals, yes, we have a lot. But there were plenty of horrid chemcials before. Think DDT and Love Canal, Think how mosquitoes used to ve killed vy putting oil on water. Think about how everythimg was thrown into unlined dumps.

We played with mercury balls in school. Little balls of meecury that were the size of a pearl.

Lead paint everywhere.

Luckily for kids with autism, it is recognized now so that there are interventions that work.

I do not see anti vaxx as the poor. I see lots of them being into the alernative world which means a lot of well to do who seem to have never taken science in school .
That's rather harsh seeing as the parents really are just trying to do the best for their children. Science is part of the reason there is an anti-vax movement. It was a science report on MMR that started the whole modern movement. Insulting or ridiculing the public will not get the results that the gov't needs--a vaccinated public. The only thing that will work is to go back to their roots and start a scientific campaign showing the benefits of vaccination.

That's rather harsh seeing as the parents really are just trying to do the best for their children. Science is part of the reason there is an anti-vax movement. It was a science report on MMR that started the whole modern movement. Insulting or ridiculing the public will not get the results that the gov't needs--a vaccinated public. The only thing that will work is to go back to their roots and start a scientific campaign showing the benefits of vaccination.

A fake report.Fake. It has been shown to be fake

People love believing a lie. It is hard to get them to believe the truth.

They do not believe doctors but believe Jenny McCarthy.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CourtandSims4
Back