TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris County, Jan 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woman gunned down while setting up for garage sale dies; suspect sought

In surveillance video obtained by KPRC2, 29-year-old Elizabeth Barraza is seen in her driveway, setting up items. A black pickup truck pulls up and a suspect, who appears to be a woman, gets out and walks up to the victim. The suspect appears to pull something out of a jacket or robe. Then the two appear to exchange words.

Within around eight seconds, the suspect raises an arm and a flash of light from a gun is seen. The suspect fires three times and Elizabeth Barraza falls to the ground.

The suspect then appears to stand over the Elizabeth Barraza and fires one more shot.

The shooter then runs back to the black pickup truck and drives off.

She and her husband do a lot of cosplay and Star Wars fan stuff. They look like a fun, geeky couple. It’s hard to imagine someone could be so mad at her, but the videoed attack does look so personal. However, it seems that if it was personal and they have the truck on video, it wouldn’t take too long to solve

the murderer looks like they were wearing a robe
like they didn't even bother to get dressed? like maybe an earlier conversation happened that they were reacting to or they just found out something that made them very pissed off and before thinking it through they grabbed their gun and jumped in the truck
murderer definitely looks like a woman to me with long hair

She and her husband do a lot of cosplay and Star Wars fan stuff. They look like a fun, geeky couple. It’s hard to imagine someone could be so mad at her, but the videoed attack does look so personal. However, it seems that if it was personal and they have the truck on video, it wouldn’t take too long to solve

She may not have used her own car.

Sounds like a jealous mistress????
I used to work with her and she was sweet and never met a stranger. It’s hard for me imagine anyone having issue with her. I’m curious if her husbands been cleared yet (I never met him). For what I understand, police asked for tips on the day of the crime but have not since, so the speculation locally is they know who the perp is by now.

Wow. Watched the video; that is scary. Going about your early morning, setting up for a garage sale and you get met with bullets. :(:mad: I've been a member here for many years but I don't care how many cases I read about I'll never understand how anyone can take the life of another. I don't know why but it still gets to me especially when I see a video like this. :(

Anyway, the shooter did look female. I really really hope since they have the video of the vehicle that this gets solved quickly. I hope whoever did the shooting and whoever was driving the vehicle are worried sick, looking over their shoulders and not sleeping a wink since they know it was caught on video.
^^Moo, Jmo, Imo, Etc^^

I used to work with her and she was sweet and never met a stranger. It’s hard for me imagine anyone having issue with her. I’m curious if her husbands been cleared yet (I never met him). For what I understand, police asked for tips on the day of the crime but have not since, so the speculation locally is they know who the perp is by now.
I’m so sorry for the loss of your friend. She sounds like a wonderful person!

It looks very personal and targeted to me. And that would require someone knowing that the garage sale was being set up at that time and that the victim would be out on the street so early in the day. I'd say its close to home. Very close to home. JMO.
Agreed. The body language of the suspect as she was shooting and moving forward seemed like there was a lot of emotion.

Honestly, as a woman to woman encounter and looking at the body language I'd say its possible there's a 'you've been having an affair with my husband' type vibe. I hope that doesn't fall foul of the terms on here but it looks like a crime of passion/jealousy/betrayal/affairs type thing. And how did the killer know that the victim was setting up her yard sale at that time? JMO.

The video IS graphic as warned, but at a far enough distance to obscure most details other than the obvious:
- victim EB Is busy setting up her garage sale in the pre-dawn darkness of the early morning
- car/truck is hard to see when it pulls up
- the killer walks calmly (meaning she/he is not “stomping” up to the victim) as she approaches EB
- victim seems a bit startled at some point, either by the appearance of the killer, or perhaps what is being said
- flashes of light and the victim falling backwards to the ground are what indicate a terrible thing has happened
- the most chilling of all is the killer standing over the victim as she is laying in the driveway, and we see one final flash of light as one more shot is fired into the victim when she is already down - HORRIBLE
- only then do we see the killer hurry as he/she runs from the scene, and a few seconds later we see the vehicle drive away

It is awful to watch someone’s final moments as a murder is being committed. I don’t recommend it. But it tells us so much about who did this. This was a killer who was intent on ending the life of this young woman. Why? I would be looking at former, not necessarily current, romantic entanglements of the couple. No matter what the situation, EB did NOT deserve to have her life taken because of it. May she Rest In Peace, and may her heartless killer be brought to justice SOONER rather than later.

AND....and....there is still the remote possibility that this WAS totally random. The killer could be a stranger, albeit unhinged, driving through the neighborhood, scouting for garage sales as they are being set up. People DO do that sort of thing. They like to get an early start and want to get first crack at what might be hidden treasures for sale, “treasures” being in the eye of the beholder for sure. The few times my family had garage sales in our driveways, we were approached by potential customers BEFORE the time we said we would open for business. They either saw signs we had posted in the days before advertising the upcoming garage sale (it is what we call these in Houston; other areas of the country call them yard sales or tag sales), OR they just drive around looking for these sales. An unstable person might react irrationally to being told “no, we are not open for business yet”, and do something this extreme. We are constantly reminded here at WS of the depths of depravity of human nature. For example, there is no reasonable explanation for why the killer/kidnapper committed the terrible RANDOM crime in Barron, WI against the Closs family, yet it happened to everyone’s complete and utter shock. It is possible, though not likely, that something like that could have happened here. Quite a stretch I know, but has to be considered I think.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member