UK - Amber Peat, 13, Suicide, Mansfield, 30 May 2015 *Inquest*

Legally Bland

Reaction score
The inquest into the death of Amber Peat started on Monday 28 Jan 2019.

Day 1
A schoolgirl who was found hanged after a family argument was only reported missing to police by her parents nearly eight hours after she stormed out, an inquest heard.

Amber Peat's body was found three days after she went missing from her home after a row with her mother over household chores.

Nottingham Coroner's Court heard the argument was about cleaning a cool box which was used to store food on a recent family holiday in Cornwall - where the 13-year-old had hatched plans to run away with her cousin.

The youngster's mother Kelly Peat had heard the front door "slam shut" shortly after the dispute at around 5.10pm on May 30, 2015, at the home on Bosworth Street in Mansfield, Nottinghamshire.

The inquest heard a passer-by had seen somebody of Amber's description enter a hedgerow area near the address around 40 minutes later.

Although up to 400 police staff were involved in the search for Amber, her body was only recovered on June 2.

Tragic schoolgirl, 13, found dead hours after family argument

Day 2
Keeley Vardy, her former Year 6 teacher, said that when Amber suddenly arrived in April 2013, she had no information from her previous school.

Then aged 11, the girl was "quite sullen" on her first day.

Miss Vardy told the court that when the newcomer was asked to work on an autobiographical project focussing on part of her life, she replied: "I haven't got anything happy to write about."

However she eventually wrote about her grandma.

Girl, 13, had nothing 'happy to write about' two years before found hanged

"She was worried about going home because she had lost the belt off her coat," Mrs Holland told Nottinghamshire Coroner's Court.

"She basically said she was scared she was going to get told off. I had to phone home and tell mum, 'It really is fine, we will find it'."

Hanged girl, 13, 'scared' to go home

Day 3
An inquest in Nottingham heard that Amber’s GP had raised concerns about her behaviour, in January 2014, because she had run away from home, was performing poorly at school in Tibshelf, and she had a new stepdad with mental health issues.

Joanne Robinson, manager of the Tibshelf Multi-Agency Team (MAT) in Derbyshire, said two workers visited the family after Amber went missing in January 2014.

[...]

Concerns were again raised, on March 7, 2014, when Amber reported being left at home to wash up while her parents went out, and, escaping through a window, she ran away from home.

She told the youth worker that her parents had told her: “What goes on in this house stays in this house.”

The assistant coroner asked: “Would you follow it up with the parents?” “A lot of this is confidential between the child and the youth worker,” said Mrs Robinson.

“There is no note in the records about that specific point.” “You seem to say a lot “There should have been a note of that but there isn’t,”” said Miss Bower.

“Is that acceptable practice?” Mrs Robinson said: “We were very much in our infancy when we were first formed. It just wasn’t recorded. There were lots of other conversations.

We were working with Amber to help her with coping strategies. A lot of children say things when they are up and down. We wouldn’t go back to mum every time Amber said something.”

Read more at: Concerns about tragic Amber Peat raised more than a year before her death

Today's sitting revealed:

- Amber had previously ran away but her parents had been too busy to look for her as their 'dog was in labour'

- Amber had seen a doctor several times with her mother Kelly, in regards to her relationship with her stepfather Danny Peat

- It was also revealed that Mr Peat is said to have had mental health issues

- On the night that Amber vanished she had been arguing with her stepfather

- The family had previously visited Daniel Peat's mother, and while at the house amber was made to sit in the corner and not speak to anyone

Schoolgirl, 13, who hanged herself after fleeing home was 'lively' in lessons | Daily Mail Online

Day 4
Amber Peat, who was 13 when she died, had also moved house 11 times during her childhood, it was said.

[...]

At the time, Amber was a pupil of Tibshelf Community School. Soon after she moved to Queen Elizabeth School in Mansfield, the 11th house move in her life.

Miss Dunn said: "She didn't want to move. I think she was settled, whether they were her words or not."

The coroner asked: "Was there concern for Amber, to use the phrase, 'falling through the cracks?'"

Miss Dunn replied: "The changes were upsetting as it was. She did not say why she was going."

The coroner asked: "During your time with Amber, was there a mention of self-harm, suicide, anything of that nature?"

Shaking her head, Miss Dunn said: "None at all."

Girl found dead had run away after being 'punished for drinking cherryade'

The inquest into the tragic death of the Mansfield teenager today looked at the events following Amber running away from home in January 2014 and the action taken by agencies to protect her. The youngster's body was found in bushes after she ran away again in 2015.

Family resource worker Sarah Hart gave evidence at Nottingham coroner's court.

As part of Tibshelf multi agency team she had been sent after police reported Amber as a missing person in 2014

The inquest heard Amber had absconded for four hours and hid in a neighbor' s garden after she was asked to wash the pots.

Inquest told there was 'no immediate risk' to tragic teenager Amber Peat despite her repeatedly running away from home.

David Wallace a teacher at Tibshelf Comunity School told the inquest at Nottingham coroner’s Court this afternoon he had received a phone call from a letting officer that Amber had turned up at the school at 9pm after running away from home on April 3 2014.

He said it had been a cold windy and rainy evening Amber told him she had run away from home at around 5pm after an argument with her mum and a sibling.

He said: “She did not go into details, but she had walked to the old school site about half a mile from her home and walked around the bridleway.

“I explained i had to contact her parents and she became sullen and quiet with her head down. “She said they wouldn’t care and they were more interested in the dog which was in the process of giving birth..

“She said she had run away from her parents before and they wouldn’t be bothered. “I was concerned how a child her age could away in the pouring rain for four hours.”

He had contacted Amber’s parents mum Kelly and stepfather Danny Peat to come and pick her up but Danny said it wasn’t possible as the dog was ‘in labour’. Mr Wallace drove Amber home and said her parents did not show any emotion or relief at her return.

Read more at: Amber Peat’s family refused to pick her up from school after she went missing because their dog was giving birth

Day 5
An inquest heard today that Amber had written a note to her mum during a meeting with a youth worker in April 2014.

In the letter, the teen wrote: "Dear mum, I just want to be your little girl again".

The Mail Online reported that mum Kelly Peat "laughed" at her daughter, with Amber's youth worker Sorele Swallow telling the inquest the teen had been left "disappointed" by the reaction.

Girl, 13, found hanged LAUGHED at by mum after saying 'I want to be little again'

This is just so dreadfully sad.... without bringing previous discussion back up, I remember at the time some of our thoughts re the parent and step parent and it now sounds as though it was even worse than we thought.
That poor little girl, she deserved to be loved and cherished in her life, not treated as surplus to requirements.
RIP Amber x❤️

Day 6

Ms Beard said she became concerned for Amber's welfare after she came in "devastated" while wearing baggy grey jogging bottoms instead of normal school trousers one day in March 2015.

"The other children in the classroom thought that she had actually wet herself, because it was so unusual that someone would be wearing something like that," she said.

Ms Beard said Amber told her she was woken up in the night to finish chores she was told she had not completed, and was not allowed to go to bed until 01:30 after being made to clean the floor for an hour.

She said this was "obviously of concern", and when Amber later came in with a plastic bag carrying belongings instead of her normal schoolbag she was told it was another punishment.

Ms Beard sent an email on 16 March 2015 to the school's safeguarding staff saying she was concerned Amber was "being emotionally abused" at home.

The email also highlighted other worries, such as Amber being "always hungry", losing weight and wearing school trousers she had outgrown.

Hanged girl 'humiliated by stepdad'

Poor poor girl, I really hope those parents can be charged with something and not allowed to look after any children again :mad:

Two months before she died Amber had come into the tutor group sobbing and devastated.

She said her stepfather had been punching her all weekend for being naughty. He had woke her up at 11.30pm to complete jobs .

She had to clean the floor for an hour and did not get to sleep until 1.30 am.

Amber Peat 'punished' by step dad inquest told

Day 7
(MASH = Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub)
The first call to the safeguarding unit was made by Queen Elizabeth vice principal Karen Green.

But MASH officer Elizabeth Fisher, who took the call, said the information provided was 'limited' and 'without context' – and didn't satisfy the criteria for a full social services referral. Instead, the school was advised to carry out an 'Early Help' assessment – something it ultimately didn't do.

However, Mrs Fisher did accept a suggestion from Ms Bower that she could have asked more questions and 'dug a little deeper' to gain a wider picture of the situation. She said evidence she had heard during the inquest about Amber while sat in the public gallery had left her 'shocked'.

A second call was made to the MASH team in March 2015, two months before Amber's death, by her school key worker Sharon Clay.

She reported concerns over Amber wearing ill-fitting tracksuit bottoms to school, which the inquest has previously heard she was made to do by Mr Peat after failing to put her normal trousers in the wash, and bringing her items in a cheap plastic bag.

Ms Clay added that she thought Amber was being 'emotionally abused' by her stepdad, who had also ordered her to wash the floors at 11.30pm at night.

However, the concerns again weren't enough to merit the involvement of social services.

MASH worker Joanna Shepherd, who took the call, said 'you would need more incidents over a period of time' – adding she was not aware at the time of the 'bigger picture' surrounding Amber.

The inquest heard Mrs Shepherd had no knowledge of the earlier call. She told the hearing she could have asked for more details – but would have expected the caller to give a 'full picture'.

After getting the advice of a social worker, Mrs Shepherd told Ms Clay the school should go back and discuss the matter with Amber's mum.

But Ms Bower asked if any thought had been given to the impact it could have on Amber if the disclosures she'd made to her teacher were passed back to her parents, adding: 'As we discuss this now, do you see the concerns I am raising?'

Mrs Shepherd replied: 'Yes. But I could not question the social worker on that.'

The hearing was told that since Amber's death procedures had been put in place, including better recording systems, that aimed to gather and collate information better.

Amber Peat 'wasn't allowed to talk about family's big secret' | Daily Mail Online

One of her teachers added that Amber had mentioned a "big secret" that she wasn't allowed to talk about - which turned out to be her stepdad had been jailed for 16 months over £120,000 tax fraud.

An inquest in Nottingham heard Daniel Peat and an accomplice admitted to attempting to falsely claim more than £200,000 in tax rebates.

[...]

Concerns about Amber were called in to a safeguarding team, Nottingham County Council's Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH), by Amber's former vice principal.

When referring Amber to the council's safeguarding unit she said: "This one is ringing alarm bells. It just does not feel right. My gut instinct is there is something not right here and I can't put my finger on it."

Amber Peat, 13, 'told to keep big family secret' that stepdad had been jailed for tax fraud before she was found hanged

Day 8
Former PC Nicola Roe told an inquest how Mrs Peat was "not particularly emotional, as in upset".

Amber was found hanged three days after going missing in May 2015.

Nottingham Coroner's Court heard Ms Roe was one of two officers who initially visited Amber's home in Mansfield, Nottinghamshire.

Ms Roe, who has since left the force, said she spoke to Mrs Peat while her colleague searched the house and spoke to Amber's stepfather, Daniel Peat.

"The general circumstances about how she left the address were they had had an argument after asking Amber to empty the cool-box or rinse out the cool-box, which was due to their return from holiday," she said.

"She had not been happy about being asked to do that and then they had heard the door slam and at that point Amber had left the address."

The inquest has previously heard from teachers who were concerned about Amber's welfare at home
Amber left the house at about 17:15 BST on 30 May 2015 and her mother reported her missing at 00:56, in which time she had looked for her daughter, but had also done some supermarket shopping and had a meal.

Police visited the family home at about 04:00.

Speaking about Mrs Peat, Ms Roe said: "The observations I recall in my statement were that she seemed quite matter-of-fact about how she was describing the situation."

The coroner Laurinda Bower referred to the officer's statement, in which she wrote there was "no emotion".

Ms Roe replied: "Yeah, she seemed tired but not particularly emotional, as in upset, more frustrated."

Mrs Peat told police that Amber had previously run away from home but usually returned.

"I think really my gut feeling was this was something that had happened a number of times recently," said Ms Roe.

"The family seemed to be rehearsed in terms of giving information to police and behaved like this had happened a number of times recently and the general consensus from talking to family was that she would come back the next morning.

"She would usually come back at night so that's why they had left it quite late to report it. Generally, they expected her to come back."

Missing girl's mother 'not upset'

PC Yelland went on to tell the hearing about a comment Amber's stepdad, Danny Peat, made about her.

She said: 'He told me her only hobby was reading and she had no real friends.'

The inquest heard Amber's disappearance was initially classed as 'medium' risk before later being upgraded to 'high' – although this wouldn't have made a 'material difference' to the response.

Chief Inspector Christopher Sullivan said: 'It felt very much to me this was a teenager, albeit only just a teenager, who had pushed the boundaries beyond what they normally had, and although there was concern, medium risk was appropriate.'

Ms Bower then read a statement from Mansfield resident Adam Lamb who told how he saw a girl, thought to be Amber, at around 5.50pm on the day she went missing.

He described how he and his wife were cleaning their cars when he spotted a young girl approach.

Mr Lamb said: 'She was walking towards me. I was blocking the pavement and I began to move out of the way.

'She looked at me and smiled as if to say thanks. She was chewing on her left sleeve.

'I watched her approach the junction. She then walked across the junction and onto a green area. She then began hanging around the leafy area.

'I thought it was odd she was hanging around there on her own. I spoke to my wife briefly and moments later she was no longer there.' Mr Lamb added he thought the girl had 'walked off'.

Mother of Amber Peat found hanged in a bush showed 'no emotion' when reporting her daughter missing | Daily Mail Online

CCTV showed that Amber appeared to go straight to the gap in the hedge, but it did not show her emerging again.

On Monday morning, two detectives were appointed to go back through the reports and incident logs form the weekend to work out what hadn’t been done, and to ensure new information was acted on.

Amber’s body was located on Tuesday, when an incident room was set up.

The police officer who discovered 13-year-old Amber’s body, was shown there by Mr Lamb.

“It was immediately clear that she was dead,” said Detective Constable Karl Aram.

“I was very conscious that the witness was nearby and that it was important to establish a scene.”

He said there was no chance the body could have been seen from the pathway, as he had to “lean” into the hedgerow to check properly.

Detective Chief Superintendent Griffin said that in the first five hours of Sunday, May 31, 181 calls were received by police, 61 of which were classed as “immediate” incidents.

On that Sunday, police were also faced with a murder enquiry and a serious stabbing in the city, which also drew resources, he said. Miss Bowers said: “I don’t think there’s any suggestion of any oversight. It’s just a case of the resources not being available.”

Read more at: Chad appeal for Amber Peat prompted last sighting

Day 9
Mr Cook gave evidence to the Nottingham hearing on its ninth day after deciding to attend in person. He appeared sombre as he entered the court this morning alongside his new wife, wearing a black jacket and blue jeans.

He told coroner Laurinda Bower how he and Kelly met around 2000 and had two children including Amber before splitting on Christmas Eve 2012, when he moved out of the family home in Derby.

Mr Cook said he last saw his children in early 2013, when Amber was 10, and took them for a meal in a pub. He claimed she was 'happy and cheerful' – until he said he had to take her home.

Asked by Ms Bower why that was the final time he saw them, Mr Cook replied: 'My shifts were all over the place. I tried to ring Kelly and said I would be off this week, and Kelly said I could not see them at the drop of a hat.

'Every time I phoned her it would be inconvenient. There would be 'family business' to see to, or 'we are taking them here, or there''.

'The last time was a heated discussion. It was getting to the point where you are beaten down by it. I wanted to see the children.'

Mr Cook said that during their last conversation, Kelly told him: 'You just can't see them when you want to.'

The inquest heard he considered talking to a solicitor, but didn't feel he 'had a leg to stand on'.

At some point around March 2013, he went to their home – but found it was empty.

Mr Cook said: 'I went to a friends' house on the estate, but they said that one morning they woke up and they had upped and gone. I had no idea where they'd gone.'

He added the next contact he had with the Peats was on the day after Amber disappeared. Mr Cook told the hearing: 'I found out in Facebook so I tried to contact Kelly with the number off the missing person posters.

'I got vile abuse off Danny – 'she is not your *advertiser censored***** daughter, she wants nothing to do with you, you are nothing but a sperm donor.

'I phoned back again and spoke to Danny's mum. I didn't get much information. I was in deep shock about it.'

He added he didn't know about any issues surrounding his daughter that the inquest had heard about, including her running away from home previously and problems at school.

Amber Peat's biological father arrives at inquest for first time | Daily Mail Online

Mr Cook’s mum Jennifer Lancaster – Amber’s grandmother – then gave evidence.

She described her granddaughter as a ‘lovely, sweet, lovable child’ who ‘liked to cuddle and play silly girly things like dressing up, and with her make-up bag’.

Mrs Lancaster said she saw Amber ‘quite frequently’ when she was young – but when her son and Kelly split up she only saw her ‘two or three’ times before her death.

One of the occasions was Valentines’ Day in 2013, when Danny wanted to cook Kelly a ‘romantic meal’ and the children went to stay with her for the weekend.

But Mrs Lancaster said Amber was ‘weepy’ because she had overheard a conversation between Kelly and her mum, Dianne Gillibrand, in which they had said she ‘wouldn’t want them.’

Mrs Lancaster said: “I told them I would always want them. How can you not want two little children like that, that give you so much pleasure?

“It struck me as odd.”

Mrs Lancaster next saw the young siblings on Mother’s Day 2013, but they couldn’t stop for long because Kelly was waiting in her car outside. She gave them a pair of charm bracelets, and expected to see them again before she went into hospital that April for a knee operation – but never did.

She told the hearing: “I got a message from Kelly to say they loved the bracelets, and that was it.

“I bought them Easter eggs and sent a message to see if they would be coming for them. And I wanted to get Amber a birthday present because I was going in hospital. But the message (back) was, ‘don’t know, not sure’. That was it.”

Mrs Lancaster added that she went to the family home in a bid to see them – but found they had moved.

When she contacted Kelly to ask for the new address – only to be told: “I am not comfortable with you having it.”

She said: “I thought, ‘this is really strange’, but that is the way it was.

Mrs Lancaster found out Amber had gone missing through her sister, and ‘panicked’. She said she had no concerns about her granddaughter’s behaviour, and what had happened ‘came as a shock’.

Referring to the Peats, she said: “They trust you with their kids and then stop you seeing them, and the next thing you know she is missing.

“It’s horrible, it really is horrible.

“I phoned Kelly’s number and Danny answered, and I said, ‘where is my granddaughter?’ I said I need to speak to Kelly. He said, ‘she does not want anything to do with that side of the family.’ So what do you do?”

Pausing to wipe away tears, Mrs Lancaster added: “When she (Amber) passed away, I did not even get to see her at the undertakers. They had to contact Kelly.

“I did not realise until that point just how cruel she could be. And it is cruel. That is how it is.”

Amber Peat's natural dad 'found out she was missing from Facebook post'

The [maternal] grandmother of a 13-year-old girl who went missing and was later found hanged has told an inquest she had no reason to kill herself.

Amber Peat "loved her mum" and was well looked after according to her maternal grandmother Dianne Gillibrand.

[...]

Mrs Gillibrand said her daughter and son-in-law, Kelly and Daniel Peat, did punish Amber for bad behaviour, but also used to reward her for good behaviour too.

"It's a reward and take away," she explained.

"So when they did something good they would get rewards. Amber liked books so they would go to the bookshop and get some books," she said.

Another reward was going on an outing, and Amber was also praised, she said.

"Take away, from what I can remember, was you would take away one toy or an outing was stopped, or there was a small chore to do like washing pots," Mrs Gillibrand said.

[...]

But Mrs Gillibrand said Amber "got on well" with her stepfather and apparently said of him: "He has been more of a dad to me than my own dad ever was and we want to become Peats."

She said Amber also "adored her mum".

Mrs Gillibrand said: "I don't think she meant to die because she loved her mum; always wanted to be with her mum and said 'when I grow up I'm going to live with my mum forever'."

She described Amber as "very loud and excitable" but said she "developed a temper" when she hit puberty.

She said: "Her hormones were all over the place. She was changing.

"For the temper tantrums I tried to give her techniques to deal with it. I told her to count to ten. I told her to take some deep breaths."

As Mrs Gillibrand concluded her evidence, the coroner asked her: "So as far as you are concerned, there is no reasonable explanation for why Amber would take steps to end her life?"

Mrs Gillibrand said: "No. I don't believe it. I will never believe it."

Girl found hanged 'didn't mean to die'

Yet another child slips through the cracks. So many people concerned for Amber’s well-being, and yet nothing done. MASH seems to be a joke; just an excuse for collective buck-passing. How much money will be spent on yet another enquiry from which no lessons are ever going to be learnt?

Amber Peat's mother today denied her daughter had wanted to kill herself and said she was taking part in a self-harming 'competition' at school, an inquest heard today.

Kelly Peat said her 13-year-old child's intention was to 'mark herself' rather than take her own life when she was found hanged in bushes in Mansfield in May 2015.

Mrs Peat and Amber's step-father Danny failed to report her missing for eight hours after going to the supermarket, out for dinner and to the car wash.

She said: 'We thought she was going to come back. I was just giving her time to calm down'.

Amber's mother also told the Nottingham inquest into her death that she had smashed her daughter's phone with a hammer during one big row.

She also admitted they would 'butt heads' over household chores but denied allegations that the 13-year-old was made to get up out of bed at 10.30pm and clean the floors for three hours.

Mrs Peat also sobbed as she knocked back allegations made by Amber's youth worker that she laughed when her daughter gave her a note saying 'I just want to be your little girl again'.

Amber Peat's mother tells inquest she doesn't believe schoolgirl, 13, intended to take her own life | Daily Mail Online

The mother and stepfather of a girl found hanged in bushes have told an inquest she lied about being given punishments and chores to do at home.

Amber Peat, 13, told a teacher her stepfather woke her up in the night to finish chores and forced her to wear baggy grey jogging bottoms to school.

However, Kelly and Daniel Peat both said these allegations were untrue.

In fact, Mrs Peat said her daughter had chosen to wear the grey jogging bottoms to school herself.

Mr Peat said he was not even there when his stepdaughter left for school wearing the jogging bottoms.

[...]

Mr and Mrs Peat both said they were sitting in the living room while Amber was in the hallway. Their accounts of what happened next differed after this point.

Amber's mother told the inquest: "She was stood in the hallway with the cool box in her hand and she was just staring at me. I asked her what was going on but she was just staring at me.

"I kept asking her 'What's wrong? What's going on?'

"She stood there and she was just staring so I shut the door to."

The coroner pointed out this account differed from her police statement, in which she said Amber had repeated "Mum, Mum, Mum", before her mother apparently said she did not want to talk to her.

"Was Amber saying 'Mum, Mum, Mum?" asked the coroner.

Mrs Peat replied: "I don't remember."

Recalling the same incident, Mr Peat said Amber was saying: "You are my mum and I want to talk to you. Mum, Mum, Mum."

Mr and Mrs Peat agreed Amber had been left alone in the hallway after Mrs Peat shut the door. They then remained sitting in the living room, they said, and heard the door slam as Amber left the house.

Hanged girl 'lied about punishments'

This case is so upsetting. She begged to be loved by the one person who should, but literally and metaphorically had the door slammed in her face. I hope they both get a long sentence, absolutely sickening.
I hate typing this, but if there are criminal proceedings they normally take place before an inquest.

Then again the inquest may throw up more for the CPS to consider.

This case is so upsetting. She begged to be loved by the one person who should, but literally and metaphorically had the door slammed in her face. I hope they both get a long sentence, absolutely sickening.

I hope social services are at least involved with their other children. Who goes out shopping and calmly eats their dinner when their 13 year old daughter is missing, even if they did just think she had ran away and would come back - did they not worry that a stranger could have targetted her?!

The inquest into the death of tragic Mansfield teenager Amber Peat is now expected to resume tomorrow.

The hearing was adjourned on Tuesday and was expected to resume today for legal arguments but will now not continue until 10am on Friday.

It is not yet known whether Assistant Nottinghamshire Coroner Laurinder Bower will reach her decision tomorrow, or whether the process will continue into next week.

Read more at: AMBER PEAT: Inquest adjourned until Friday

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back