GUILTY IA - Sterling Koehn, 4 mos, starved to death, Alta Vista, 30 Aug 2017

I follow a lot of cases here on WS. I am not sure really how I rate them in terms of when one particular case or crime is "worse than" another. But in my head right here, this one ranks right up there for me personally. They left that poor baby to die..to rot...just like one would leave a loaf of bread too long on the counter. Forgotten. This was a human infant! NOT A LEFTOVER FORGOTTEN IN THE FRIDGE. I might just not be able to follow this one any more. I literally keep getting images of him intermixed with old leftovers. Sorry this is so graphic. It is unlike me.

Jeff Reinitz on Twitter
Jeff Reinitz‏ @JeffAtCourier 6m6 minutes ago
Huntington:1 female scuttle fly can lay 50-100eggs. attracts other flies. Eggs would have been laid 9-13days before the child was discovered

Jeff Reinitz on Twitter
Jeff Reinitz‏ @JeffAtCourier 2h2 hours ago
Huntington: Photos show they maggots crawled to the clothing and blankets to pupate, begin hatching into flies.

Jeff Reinitz on Twitter
Jeff Reinitz‏ @JeffAtCourier 21h21 hours ago
Huntington:Sterling would have felt this, a crawling sensation "Certainly in a sensitive area like a genital area, you'd feel it"

Jeff Reinitz on Twitter
TH: When flies colonize bodies after death, they go for eyes, nose mouth to get inside. In this case none of that in those locations.

Jeff Reinitz on Twitter
TH: had it been postmortem infestation, it would have been different.

Jeff Reinitz on Twitter
TH : Had he been dead more than a day, would have been flies colonizing mouth etc. I doubt it was more than half a day, maybe a day.

Jeff Reinitz on Twitter
Going over more photos of Sterling, TH pointing out a cluster of maggots feeding on feces.

Jeff Reinitz on Twitter
TH: showing pupa of different colors. Cream colored are newer ones, reddish are about to emerge as flies.

Jeff Reinitz on Twitter
TH: Sterling had not been bathed, changed, moved in 9-14 days. Had been dead half a day to a day.

Jeff Reinitz on Twitter
Huntington is done. State rests. Defense to begin next week. Starting Tuesday.

Jeff Reinitz on Twitter
Before everyone leaves, the defense is thinking about calling Koehn as a witness, needs order to allow Koehn to talk with his attorney.

Jeff Reinitz on Twitter
Koehn could assert the 5th. Order allows Koehn to talk with appellate attorney about that issue.

Cathy Russon on Twitter
Cathy Russon‏ @cathyrusson 21h21 hours ago
#CheyanneHarris - The prosecution rests

DyWTgQJU0AAuOh6.jpg

1 reply3 retweets4 likes

Cathy Russon on Twitter
#CheyanneHarris - The defense will begin next week. Court is dark on Monday. Defense will start on Tuesday.

Cathy Russon on Twitter
#CheyanneHarris - Court resumes Tuesday at 11am CST/12pm EST. Late start due to judge's schedule.

DyWVVmjU0AAj3I9.jpg

0 replies1 retweet1 like

Just getting caught up on this case...one of the worst ever...and it seems that Cheyanne is taking a bit after her mother.A quick google of Brandy Harris shows she was actually convicted for abusing dogs and police had to go in and found feces and urine and an awful situation in an apartment she and her then husband were in He was in the service and came back to find out all of this. Not as bad as a child but amazing the similarities. She had to know there was trouble big time and as usual...no one can seem to stop it.

trying to figure out what case they will have...very short I think. Her fate has been sealed. The state presented a well organized and methodical expose of a monster...this juror should be out for just enough time to do the paper work and her own attorneys know.

Wow...I just listened to the female attorney opening which was what 2 minutes long and she had to read her notes? Is this for real. You could just tell she does not want to be there and does not want to represent this monster. I have never seen an opening like that...why not just pass?

trying to figure out what case they will have...very short I think. Her fate has been sealed. The state presented a well organized and methodical expose of a monster...this juror should be out for just enough time to do the paper work and her own attorneys know.

It Koehn's jury only 1 hour and 10 minutes to deliberate - so I would hers will be about the same. Just enough time to fill out the paper work - take a vote!

judge-smiley.gif
JUSTICE is coming for Sterling!!

Jeff Reinitz on Twitter
Huntington:Sterling would have felt this, a crawling sensation "Certainly in a sensitive area like a genital area, you'd feel it"

Jeff Reinitz on Twitter
TH : Had he been dead more than a day, would have been flies colonizing mouth etc. I doubt it was more than half a day, maybe a day.

Jeff Reinitz on Twitter
TH: Sterling had not been bathed, changed, moved in 9-14 days. Had been dead half a day to a day.

RSABBM for focus

I can’t even begin to imagine the pain and agony this 4-month-old child must have been in.

ME: “At the time he died, Sterling was clenching his fists, rigor set in.”

Forensic entomologist: “Sterling was live when he was infested. Maggots were there for the feces, urine or extreme diaper rash.

This had to have been a slow, torturous death, IMO.

What I find particularly disturbing is that according to the FE, “Sterling had not been bathed, changed, moved in 9-14 days. Had been dead half a day to a day.”

This, along with the observation by the deputy, who was the first to arrive at the scene, that there were scented wax packets by the swing set, leads me to believe at least one (most likely both) of the adults in the house had to have known, IMO, that Sterling was dying. And neither one did anything.

Yet, according to the ME, Sterling “could have been dead for 8 hours or more, possible a little bit less,” and according to the FE, “half a day, maybe a day.”

IMO, even after Sterling stopped crying because he was too weak to do so, someone was checking on him periodically, perhaps as “frequently” as every eight to twelve hours: not to see if he was hungry or needed a diaper change, but rather, to see if he was dead yet.

MOO, but it’s almost as though at a certain point, the adults decided no one was to know what was happening with Sterling as long as he was alive.

Were they afraid if they were to seek medical help for him, due to his unusually small size, CPS would be contacted, and that might result in the children being taken away?

Or did they think if they waited until their son was dead to get the authorities involved, they would assume that the death was due to a medical cause (both CH and ZK mentioned SIDS several times), his low weight supposed formula feeding problems, and this would all go away?

If this isn’t murder, what is?

I have to wonder if there is anyone in the world that thinks this was not an intentional slow murder...thinking they could fool people thinking it was SIDS or something like that. Has there been any family at either trial? And what is the story with that loser on the stand that is "dating" Cheyanne. Every time I get engaged in one of these trials I think to myself that there is an underbelly out there ..often on drugs that are so dangerous. Most of us never encounter them...if we do I think most of us go the other way....but they are out there. I have to think the defense case on Tues. will be no longer than one day...I mean what expert is going to get up there?Character witnesses....I sort of doubt it...so what is there to say....?

During voir dire of the potential jury I have to think one of the questions had to do with being able to look at photos of an abused and starved infant etc. I bet they lost many. I would have had to pass. And in all honesty I am sure right now they have their mind made up about her maximum guilt. Is there no death penalty possible. Both should have received it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back