GUILTY MA - Conrad Roy, 18, urged by friend, commits suicide, Fairhaven, 13 July 2014 #2 *guilty*

Status
Not open for further replies.
RSBM for ¶ 2
When a person suffers from depression, there are days when everything seems hopeless, but they're followed by days when the person enjoys life again. Conrad just needed someone to remind him that "tomorrow will look brighter" when he was submersed in a depressive state. As has been mentioned here, CR was emerging from that phase and was cycling into the positive outlook phase when MC intervened and led him to his death. What she did was so evil and she knew what she was doing. IMO, she enjoyed the control she had over CR.
You post had expressed what I always thought about CR's state of mind when he exited the truck fighting to survive and seeking help from MC. But help was not available as she was actually capable of doing - if she had cared.
Indeed the court affirms this in it's decision
From p. 18 -
"However, he breaks that chain of self-causation by exiting the vehicle.He takes himself out of the toxic environment that it has become. This is completely consistent with his earlier attempts at suicide."

ETA: And also ( from p. 11/12)
...the defendant, knowing the victim was inside the truck and that the water pump was operating --the judge noted that she could hear the sound of the pump and the victim's coughing --took no steps to save him. She did not call emergency personnel, contact the victim's family,or instruct him to get out of the truck.

Last edited:
Yes it does not say, I would think immediately???? Wonder where they are sending her?

And thanks for the 33 page court document Steleheart!
Unfortunately not immediately it seems. Def. may appeal to US Supreme Ct. but prosecutors now need to file a motion in the Juvenile Court to revoke the stay and impose the sentence.

After Wednesday’s ruling, Carter’s lawyers say they continue to believe Carter didn’t cause Roy’s death. They say they will examine all legal options, including a possible appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court.

“I respectfully but completely disagree with today’s ruling,” attorney Joe Cataldo told WBZ-TV. “We will be weighing all our legal options including further appellate review.”

Carter was granted a stay in serving her sentence while the appeals process worked its way through the courts. Prosecutors now plan to file a motion in juvenile court this week to have the stay revoked and the jail sentence imposed.
Massachusetts High Court Upholds Michelle Carter’s Conviction In Texting Suicide Case

She was tried as a juvenile even though she turned 18 a mere matter of a couple of weeks after Conrad's death.
So Steleheart is what you are saying is prosecutors need to ask permission from the juvie court before they can send her off?
Why,didn't this just over ride any of that? Seems I am confused too.

A bit confused...prosecutors filing motion in Juvenile Court, so is felon tried as adult, juvenile and which type of prison would she go to? And is she tried as adult or juvenile? Thanks

She was tried as a juvenile even though she turned 18 a mere matter of a couple of weeks after Conrad's death.
So Steleheart is what you are saying is prosecutors need to ask permission from the juvie court before they can send her off?
Why,didn't this just over ride any of that? Seems I am confused too.
Just a bit of clarification first - here in MA we distinguish between jail and prison as a county run facility vs a state run facility. I just like to imagine her in state prison as opposed to jail , heh.. But as I understood in the beginning she was being tried under the "youthful offender" law but faces the possibility of adult sentencing. So since she was tried in Juvenile Court at an adult age, the Juvenile Court has jurisdiction over the final sentence and whether the stay is vacated and sentence is imposed right away, or instead, upholds the stay pending further appeal.

Soo... I found this explanation by Legal Analyst Daniel Medwed via WGBH:
BBM
Susan Kaplan: OK, so the case was tried in juvenile court. Is it common though to see sentences like this come out of manslaughter convictions in the juvenile system?
Daniel Medwed: It's uncommon in many respects. This case is very idiosyncratic. She was charged as a youthful offender, which is a designation that was created about 20 years ago by the legislature to basically be tough on juveniles who commit serious crimes. And youthful offenders, even though they committed the crimes while juveniles technically face adult sentencing exposure. So in this instance, as a youthful offender, she was facing anywhere from probation to 20 years. And she could spend it in a juvenile facility until the age of 21 or in an adult facility. She could also spend it in a county jail or in the state prison. Here, Judge Moniz opted for the county jail, which has a lot of benefits for Michelle Carter. It is closer to her family. It's going to be in Bristol County and county jails are often not as bureaucratic, not as potentially fraught with peril depending on the situation as state facilities.
LISTEN: Explaining Michelle Carter's Sentence

Massachusetts high court upholds Carter's texting suicide conviction

I hope this works as I do not always do good copying and pasting these things.

It says here Bristol County House of Corrections which would be the big house. I thought once this decision was made that it was a done deal. Also her attorneys said they might "possibly" appeal it.

ETA: I am hoping her trips to Disney and all the other nice places she has got to enjoy since Conrad's death are over.

Even if it's only 15 months, I hope they put her in prison asap. There's plenty of convicts sitting in cells waiting for their appeals to be heard, she should be no different. And Conrad and his family deserve justice.

And I usually don't post things like this but I really hope she gets the snot beat out of her in prison. Smug little b****.

From the article:

"Prosecutors now plan to file a motion in juvenile court this week to have the stay revoked and the jail sentence imposed."

Massachusetts High Court Upholds Michelle Carter’s Conviction In Texting Suicide Case

She should go to Jail and not pass go! imo

Dear Jewels53,

Thank you for this information! Greatly appreciated, as always.

It's always been my belief that were it not for her, Conrad would be alive and happy in his life.

She ripped his future from him and his loved ones and it has been so heartwrenching to follow this case.

My heart continues to be with Conrad's loved ones.

Dear Jewels53,

Thank you for this information! Greatly appreciated, as always.

It's always been my belief that were it not for her, Conrad would be alive and happy in his life.

She ripped his future from him and his loved ones and it has been so heartwrenching to follow this case.

My heart continues to be with Conrad's loved ones.

Zen

I know I feel the same as you. If she hadn't interfered with Conrads life he would still be here.

I hope she gets sent to Prison ASAP. It might be some justice for Conrads parents. It is not near enough though.

Even if it's only 15 months, I hope they put her in prison asap. There's plenty of convicts sitting in cells waiting for their appeals to be heard, she should be no different. And Conrad and his family deserve justice.

And I usually don't post things like this but I really hope she gets the snot beat out of her in prison. Smug little b****.
I was happy to find this by Newsweek. It's older but addresses both your points pretty well.
Underline by me;
Michelle Carter was sentenced to prison, but will she actually see the inside of a jail cell?
However, Carter was granted a stay by Bristol County Juvenile Court Judge Lawrence Moniz until her appeals through the Massachusetts system are exhausted.
While Moniz allowed Carter to remain out on probation until her appeals through the state system come to an end, the stay does not hold for appeals to federal court.

Moniz had ordered Carter to spend 15 months in Bristol County House of Corrections, with the rest of the sentence to be served on probation. He also ordered that Carter not be allowed to profit in any way from the events that led to her conviction. Carter, said Moniz, had a "sense of self-aggrandizement."

I guess Moniz couldn't use the same phrasing regarding her smugness, LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member