Found Alive WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #43

Status
Not open for further replies.
I so want to give JP's dad the benefit of the doubt that he is sincere with his words. But I feel like there's something off about his statement that I can't quite figure out. And it bothers me that this statement was made after PP, KP and EP had met with JP's defense attorneys in a conference room of the courthouse. Maybe it's sincere, IDK. :confused:

I believe his defense will be schizophrenia. He is the right age for such a diagnosis.

I'd be interested to know what signs of schizophrenia you believe he has exhibited. Would you mind sharing?
Also, did you watch the Court TV clip that our fab PommyMommy posted?
They actually say " It's not like he said I want to kidnap Beyonce', I'm making plans to kidnap Beyonce', and then I have Beyonce' :

Rather, he knew exactly where he wanted to go, had plans for the shootings of the parents with deadly force, binding of the minor child, JC, who was his targeted victim.
My point is that if he was delusional ( a hallmark sign of new onset Schizophrenia) he likely would have had either auditory hallucinations, visual hallucinations, extreme feelings of being set apart as a savior, or persecuted by a demon.
I could possibly believe he had a treatable mental disorder if he had thought he had Beyonce in his house, or that JLC wanted to go with him, that he could save her from something imagined. Or that he had SEEN demons or angels or a star in the East which was his sign that he was to take her. Or that voices told him to get the little girl on the bus and keep her.

He acted with forethought and deliberation. I have neither heard nor seen anything involving him which is comparable to the treatable mental disorder of Schizophrenia. IMO, it is not respectful to compare a sociopath, who killed two people whom he knew were human beings, to a person possibly struggling with or managing their Schizophrenia. From what I've seen, the struggles are difficult and support makes a huge difference, along with medication.
A violent sociopath cannot be treated or rehabilitated. Only locked away for the safety of others for the duration of his life.

Respectfully, IMO :cool:

I so want to give JP's dad the benefit of the doubt that he is sincere with his words. But I feel like there's something off about his statement that I can't quite figure out. And it bothers me that this statement was made after PP, KP and EP had met with JP's defense attorneys in a conference room of the courthouse. Maybe it's sincere, IDK. :confused:
I think his dad is sincere. I think it's very refreshing to see parents, who love their son, not make any excuses for him. Mr. and Mrs. Watts did me in, so I'm thankful PP isn't making excuses for his son.

I'm sorry, I don't find PP's or (anybody else's) expression of human compassion bizarre.

To my knowledge, his presence has only been known at the hearings. This father wrote a private letter --of which content has and should remain undisclosed, and most recently requested prayers for JC's complete healing. Reportedly, JC is also a child of faith.

I'm sorry you are offended by him.
I don't know who I am replying to.
ITA with the poster who feels enough is enough already as regards the P family.
If I were in the C's family and in the same situation my reply would be somewhere between curt and contemptuous.
Enough is enough.
jmo

I think his dad is sincere. I think it's very refreshing to see parents, who love their son, not make any excuses for him. Mr. and Mrs. Watts did me in, so I'm thankful PP isn't making excuses for his son.

That's true he did not make any excuses for JP in that clip. But neither did he condemn his son's actions. I think that must be what struck me as off-- no mention of JP at all and only focusing on Jayme's need to heal her "heart, mind and soul". The same words could have been said if Jayme was a troubled teen who ran away from home and shacked up with JP of her own free will. No mention of the physical healing Jayme must also need after the abuse JP inflicted on her for 88 days. Of course we don't know all of what happened but we know he struck her on the back once with a handle of a cleaning implement, causing her pain and fear. And we know he kept her under the bed for long periods of time--sometimes 12 hours without food or bathroom breaks. And she was skinny and near hypothermia when she escaped. But no mention of the abuse she suffered and no mention that she needs all this healing because of his son. Also no mention of James and Denise being murdered by his son. I guess all that is what rubs me the wrong way. I'm still angry for all Jayme suffered. I'm angry for James and Denise-- and their being murdered in the most gruesome manor right in front of their daughter. I want to see this dad as a victim of JP as well but I'm struggling with that when it appears he is working with the defense and carefully not mentioning any of the crimes his son is accused of committing. I guess time will tell if PP is planning on defending his son's actions or not. Meeting with JP's defense attorneys suggests to me that PP is not going to be testifying for the prosecution. I think he is planning to defend his son and make excuses for him.

MOO.

But don’t you think that when defendents’ families say nothing and keep their heads down, it also rubs people up the wrong way.

I think his pain for them, and his part in that, is sincere.
It is. Initially, the family was criticized on this very forum for not making a public statement. The first time he spoke wasn’t really a public statement. Media simply caught him trying to deliver a note through LE to the family. Now that he makes his first actual public statement, some of those same people are losing their minds.

This man did not commit murder. A 21 year old man who shares some of his DNA did.

That's true he did not make any excuses for JP in that clip. But neither did he condemn his son's actions. I think that must be what struck me as off-- no mention of JP at all and only focusing on Jayme's need to heal her "heart, mind and soul". The same words could have been said if Jayme was a troubled teen who ran away from home and shacked up with JP of her own free will. No mention of the physical healing Jayme must also need after the abuse JP inflicted on her for 88 days. Of course we don't know all of what happened but we know he struck her on the back once with a handle of a cleaning implement, causing her pain and fear. And we know he kept her under the bed for long periods of time--sometimes 12 hours without food or bathroom breaks. And she was skinny and near hypothermia when she escaped. But no mention of the abuse she suffered and no mention that she needs all this healing because of his son. Also no mention of James and Denise being murdered by his son. I guess all that is what rubs me the wrong way. I'm still angry for all Jayme suffered. I'm angry for James and Denise-- and their being murdered in the most gruesome manor right in front of their daughter. I want to see this dad as a victim of JP as well but I'm struggling with that when it appears he is working with the defense and carefully not mentioning any of the crimes his son is accused of committing. I guess time will tell if PP is planning on defending his son's actions or not. Meeting with JP's defense attorneys suggests to me that PP is not going to be testifying for the prosecution. I think he is planning to defend his son and make excuses for him.

MOO.
I don't get the impression he is planning on defending his son. I think he is horrified with what his son has done and quite frankly, in shock. This is not the young man he knew in any way shape or form. He (PP) strikes me that he is really struggling with all of this. But he knows his son murdered 2 innocent people so that he could kidnap a young girl. He's not even a little bit defending him. imo

I don't get the impression he is planning on defending his son. I think he is horrified with what his son has done and quite frankly, in shock. This is not the young man he knew in any way shape or form. He (PP) strikes me that he is really struggling with all of this. But he knows his son murdered 2 innocent people so that he could kidnap a young girl. He's not even a little bit defending him. imo
I think he is horrified too.
I also think he is in need of some forgiveness or understanding or something that the C family just isn't ready to give him.

I so hope you are right. Because I don't think JP's actions are defensible in any way. He clearly planned this and knew what he was doing was wrong because he took every measure he could think of to avoid being caught. However, I can see his defense possibly trying to paint him as mentally ill. Or perhaps claim that he was abused in foster care or something like that in order to try to reduce his perceived culpability. His family could contribute to his defense by testifying all about his childhood issues and history. The defense can paint JP as "troubled" and ask for a lighter sentence. If his family really feels horrified at his actions and has compassion for the victims then they will ask JP to plead guilty and not put Jayme and her family through the ordeal of a trial. They are probably the only ones that JP would listen to other than his lawyers. And maybe that is what was being discussed in the conference room. IDK.

MOO.

I so hope you are right. Because I don't think JP's actions are defensible in any way. He clearly planned this and knew what he was doing was wrong because he took every measure he could think of to avoid being caught. However, I can see his defense possibly trying to paint him as mentally ill. Or perhaps claim that he was abused in foster care or something like that in order to try to reduce his perceived culpability. His family could contribute to his defense by testifying all about his childhood issues and history. The defense can paint JP as "troubled" and ask for a lighter sentence. If his family really feels horrified at his actions and has compassion for the victims then they will ask JP to plead guilty and not put Jayme and her family through the ordeal of a trial. They are probably the only ones that JP would listen to other than his lawyers. And maybe that is what was being discussed in the conference room. IDK.

MOO.
There are plenty of cases where I am concerned about the outcome.

This isn’t one of them.

His crime was so calculated, so evil, and his victims so innocent, that his future is all but written in stone:

Life in prison.

He knew what he was doing, he knew what he was doing was wrong, and any mitigating factors are cancelled out by Jayme, the picture of innocence.

He’s done.

There are plenty of cases where I am concerned about the outcome.

This isn’t one of them.

His crime was so calculated, so evil, and his victims so innocent, that his future is all but written in stone:

Life in prison.

He knew what he was doing, he knew what he was doing was wrong, and any mitigating factors are cancelled out by Jayme, the picture of innocence.

He’s done.

I totally agree. I don't think his defense will be successful.
However, that doesn't mean they won't try a defense.
I'm predicting those family members who told JP they loved him in court will be part of that attempted defense strategy. If there is one.
I really would prefer that JP plead guilty and took his LWOP sentence and we never have to hear his name again.

MOO.

Patrick Patterson, father of Jake Patterson, spoke exclusively to ABC News.

"I most definitely want Jayme's family to know, everyone to know that our hearts are broken for their family," Patterson said. "I would like to humbly ask people to pray for a complete healing of Jayme's heart, mind, and soul. And I would also ask for people to pray for that for their entire family. I'm very sorry for everything that has happened."

Patterson's father: Pray for Jayme Closs and her family

Don’t know how go fund me site works in detail, I’ve only donated to Jj watt charity drive...

Jayme cousin was $1000 away from $50,000 goal... then increased to $150,000..
Yesterday..

There’s no doubt she’ll need funds, it just reads odd on site... and people with great intentions act weird with $150 grand in their bank account... she says she’ll deliver money..?? Would take literally 2 seconds with voided check / Venmo to have it paid direct to jaymes aunt account directly.

Sorry to be suspicious, I just think it’s odd..
Should be handled by financial person, they could put a lot in college fund, avoid taxes, just don’t like a cousin with $150 grand.. dunno..

I'd be interested to know what signs of schizophrenia you believe he has exhibited. Would you mind sharing?
Also, did you watch the Court TV clip that our fab PommyMommy posted?
They actually say " It's not like he said I want to kidnap Beyonce', I'm making plans to kidnap Beyonce', and then I have Beyonce' :

Rather, he knew exactly where he wanted to go, had plans for the shootings of the parents with deadly force, binding of the minor child, JC, who was his targeted victim.
My point is that if he was delusional ( a hallmark sign of new onset Schizophrenia) he likely would have had either auditory hallucinations, visual hallucinations, extreme feelings of being set apart as a savior, or persecuted by a demon.
I could possibly believe he had a treatable mental disorder if he had thought he had Beyonce in his house, or that JLC wanted to go with him, that he could save her from something imagined. Or that he had SEEN demons or angels or a star in the East which was his sign that he was to take her. Or that voices told him to get the little girl on the bus and keep her.

He acted with forethought and deliberation. I have neither heard nor seen anything involving him which is comparable to the treatable mental disorder of Schizophrenia. IMO, it is not respectful to compare a sociopath, who killed two people whom he knew were human beings, to a person possibly struggling with or managing their Schizophrenia. From what I've seen, the struggles are difficult and support makes a huge difference, along with medication.
A violent sociopath cannot be treated or rehabilitated. Only locked away for the safety of others for the duration of his life.

Respectfully, IMO :cool:
I did not say he is schizophrenic, I said I think it will be used as a defense. He is about the age that many schizophrenics begin to show serious symptoms. Some of the outward symptoms are inability to follow through on things, social withdrawal, difficulty paying attention, apathy, cannot experience pleasure, flattened affect. I think he has exhibited all of those. I am not defending him, I was talking about what his defense will be. It is rare for schizophrenics to be violent but not unknown. We don't know whether he does have hallucinations, but I'm willing to bet whatever mental illness he suffers from, it was untreated.,<modsnipped personalized comment>

Last edited by a moderator:
Technically, yes.
To be clear in case anyone doesn't know: Bail in this case is set at a 5 million dollar ( $5,000,000) CASH BAIL.
Not a percentage of 5 million dollars as a lot of bonds are made, but the entire 5 million dollars in cash.

That's right. So, "technically", he can't get out on bail. As far as we know, the family has nothing even close to this, and if they did, he'd probably be out.

Which at that point Douglas county could press charges.
And I think at that point, this could be used as leverage to get a plea with no trial IMO. Unless he wants all of that to come out....Ugh.

Regarding the online fundraiser(s) and money for Jayme - whoever has legal guardianship now, should be the one handling the money - IMO. Maybe there is a lawyer who would set up a Trust at no charge for her? It's a lot of money so far. JMO
ETA: fundraisers

And I think at that point, this could be used as leverage to get a plea with no trial IMO. Unless he wants all of that to come out....Ugh.

Regarding the online fundraiser(s) and money for Jayme - whoever has legal guardianship now, should be the one handling the money - IMO. Maybe there is a lawyer who would set up a Trust at no charge for her? It's a lot of money so far. JMO
ETA: fundraisers
Anyone know if the early appointed Guardian ad litem oversees JC's affairs until she is 18?

I don't think the P family can do anything right at this point. They are also victims because of what JP has done. I think PP is sincere. He can't defend JP's actions, but he apparently cares about his son. I get the feeling this has played out on a much smaller scale for years. JP does something wrong and Dad has been there after the fact to try to help him. I think JP has always closed out everyone, including his family and only makes a connection with his father when he does something that PP needs to help fix. MOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong