OH Pike County: 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered Over Custody Issue 4 Members Wagner Family Arrested#43

Status
Not open for further replies.
IDK, it doesn't sound like the Judge's fault necessarily, but the fault of whomever is holding up the funds to buy this equipment. I thought the judge had said that the sheriff's office needed to provide him with a report on the costs before he made a decision? Was some other decision made during in camera hearings?

I believe someone mentioned that hidden restraints aren't usually allowed until a jury is seated...it may have been a reporter that asked Reader this.

The court ordered vest has been purchased. See the video at 14:40. The department used the money allotted for prison equipment... or 54% of their yearly allotment for 2019. Sheriff had originally requested the money be granted as a supplemental expense but that was refused by the commissioners. He then had the vest ordered and then purchased from his allotted expense account of $1000 for prisoner supplies. (Also, at 3:25 he discusses the supplement being denied but goes on to say more...)

Last edited:
I'm just now catching up on this news. ....

I'm assuming this means if Reader can't get money for this "vest" then JW still has to appear in the courtroom in shackles? Is that the implication?

Reader said he ordered the vest and it should be there.. today? They've already trained personnel to use it.

Betty P, if I understood Reader correctly, his office would be held in contempt for not providing the vests. This is sickening! I am losing respect fast for this Judge. Reader seems to be the only good person in PC!
I think Judge D is trying to avoid potential grounds for appeal for a new trial (assuming a guilty verdict). JW could try to claim the jury was unfairly influenced of his guilt by his jail attire and restraints. $600 is relatively nothing compared to the cost of a new trial.
Let him wear a halo if he wants!

The court ordered vest has been purchased. See the video at 14:40. The department used the money allotted for prison equipment... or 54% of their yearly allotment for 2019. Sheriff had originally requested the money be granted as a supplemental expense but that was refused by the commissioners. He then had the vest ordered and then purchased from his allotted expense account of $1000 for prisoner supplies. (Also, at 3:25 he discusses the supplement being denied but goes on to say more...)

Thank you for that explanation, pepper 34! So, I'm guessing the point he's trying to make is that the vest took a big chunk out of his regular prison equipment, leaving him with a deficit when the time comes for other expenditures that were included in that budget line item. It's only February and the remaining amount in the budget won't cover expenses for the rest of the year. Ok. I get it now. $1,000 is a pretty small amount for prison equipment, even less now. This in a county that's near the center of a big opioid epidemic and now dealing with biggest murder investigation and trial in Ohio history.

They need the necessary resources to successfully conduct the investigation and trial, with as few distractions as possible.

Yes, exactly. It was an usual request so he was hoping they'd allow a supplemental amount to be used out of the $100,000 received. The Commission wouldn't approve that expense and that's what I meant by my sarcastic comment about the sheriff having a bake sale... because, what happens if the other 3 W's ask for the same vests? There already isn't enough money to cover even 1 more vest. I agree with you and making available whatever LE and the prosecution needs to complete what they started. LE did all the work. They did their job. Now what? I can't believe there's this trouble right out of the starting box.

I'm just now catching up on this news. WTH is going on here? Very interesting information about the budget politics being played by Pike County Commissioners, the new AG and Sheriff Reader. AG Yost and his team seem to be approaching this differently than DeWine's team. I've been a little concerned at, JMO, Yost's limited experience in the criminal prosecution area.

Also interesting information about who serves on the Pike County Commission and possible 2nd degree connections to FW. o_O What??? Still catching up on this. Has anyone found a link yet to the AG press conference?

ETA: Some links

State leaders give Pike County $100K ‘down payment’ toward massacre prosecutions

I'm assuming this means if Reader can't get money for this "vest" then JW still has to appear in the courtroom in shackles? Is that the implication?
It appears the $100,000 was given to the county, not directly to Reader's budget. I would think allocation of it's use is at the discretion of the county commissioners.
Reader might be unhappy because the commissioners did not allocate any of that money to his budget.
Reader is really in an unenviable and no win position, he is responsible for attaining the vest, yet he has no control over it's funding.
Unfunded mandates are a huge problem for government entities. "No Child Left Behind" is a great example. It put substantial additional demands on schools, yet gave them no additional funding to met those demands.

The budget Reader is dealing with sounds and looks politically driven, IMO. He said he is down 15 personnel from last year. That's a big hit for any county agency. I think the sheriff has a target on him because he was elected as a D vs an R. JMO

I have never heard any mention of anytime JW has talked hunting buddies, fishing buddies, beer drinking buddies, fellow partiers, etc... Maybe I have just not seen it. There have been a few mention on SM that JW was known to them and a nice guy. I don't recall them saying he was their good friend or close friend. His social circle may have been very small...

His circle must've been so small, it was a dot.

I think you have to log into Facebook to watch. I watched a little, it seemed like a short summary of the Rhoden murders case. I think it's a news show that's only available on Facebook.
I am logged in, I just see random videos on a variety of different things. No Rhoden story though. It's probably a user issue. My own children and husband claim electronics shudder in fear when I'm around. I'll keep looking.

I am logged in, I just see random videos on a variety of different things. No Rhoden story though. It's probably a user issue. My own children and husband claim electronics shudder in fear when I'm around. I'll keep looking.

I think it's a basic news story summing up the case. It's good to see national news media outlets are continuing to follow the story. Wouldn't it be great if Court TV follows the trials when they begin? Looks like the show is coming back in May.

COURT TV

That's not what I understood from his statement.
It is in his press conference that they had ordered the vest this week. He stated he had 1000.00 in his budget for items that fall into this category. He stated the vest cost $5xx.xx. In my opinion that leaves $4xx.xx. In my opinion when the need arises for more than $400.00 that is when he needs to approach the commissioners. Jmo

I think it's a basic news story summing up the case. It's good to see national news media outlets are continuing to follow the story. Wouldn't it be great if Court TV follows the trials when they begin? Looks like the show is coming back in May.

COURT TV
I hope so! They would be so much easier to follow it they are all in one place. Searching for live coverage of the pretrials has been frustrating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member