NJ - Sarah Stern, 19, Neptune City, 2 Dec 2016 *Arrests* #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I cannot stop thinking about is how it must feel to have spawned this creature. Devastating to have put this into the world.
Justice MUST be coming Sarah, I cannot believe anyone will have any doubt on that jury.
Every summer day we spend in Ocean Grove at the beach, and always on the way there, I think of you and that bridge and say a prayer as I look at the waves. Justice soon now.

What I cannot stop thinking about is how it must feel to have spawned this creature. Devastating to have put this into the world.
Justice MUST be coming Sarah, I cannot believe anyone will have any doubt on that jury.
Every summer day we spend in Ocean Grove at the beach, and always on the way there, I think of you and that bridge and say a prayer as I look at the waves. Justice soon now.
Devastating if you believe your son is guilty.

Devastating if you believe your son is guilty.
I am assuming that without financial help from his family, LM would not have been able to afford to go to trial.

I also believe they were involved in the process of deciding what the defense strategy would be, at least to a degree:

“FREEHOLD – More than a year after he was charged with the murder of Sarah Stern, Liam McAtasney has hired a new defense attorney with a track record of acquittals in Monmouth County.

New Brunswick defense attorney Carlos Diaz-Cobo has taken over the high-profile case from Charles Moriarty, a West Long Branch attorney who had represented McAtasney since his Feb. 1, 2017 arrest in the 19-year-old Neptune City woman’s murder.

[SBM]

Asked how the change in attorneys came about, Diaz-Cobo said, ‘The family wanted to go in a different direction and they started asking around who the best attorney would be to take over the case. Several people pointed toward me.’

The defense attorney said multiple people recommended him to McAtasney’s family based on his reputation and track record for acquittals in Monmouth County.” (BBM)
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.app.com/amp/437853002

Now that the trial has started, I’ve often wondered how they are feeling about their apparent decision to support LM’s decision not to take the plea.

The only deal available called for a life prison term without the possibility of parole, which is basically what he is facing now:

“[An assistant Monmouth County prosecutor Meghan] Doyle said McAtasney, without the benefit of a plea bargain, faces a total of life in prison plus an additional 15 years if he is convicted of all of the charges at trial.”
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.app.com/amp/1302548002

I wonder how much of the evidence Diaz-Cobo shared with the parents prior to the trial.

Assistant Prosecutor Doyle revealed the existence of the confession tape and its contents almost two years ago.

As a parent, of course, I wouldn’t want my child spending the rest of his life in prison.

I can’t say for sure how I would handle a situation like this since I have never been in their shoes, but if this were my child, I don’t think I would want the video played or all of the damning evidence presented for the entire world to see. Or all of those involved -Sarah’s dad, especially- be forced to testify.

Now that the case has gone to trial, everyone knows what a cold-blooded, sadistic monster their son is.

For a parent, it’s the ultimate no-win situation, IMO.

ETA: Even If LM does end up spending the rest of his life in prison, which I believe he will, at least his family can visit him. For Sarah’s dad, the option doesn’t even exist.

Last edited:
I am assuming that without financial help from his family, LM would not have been able to afford to go to trial.

I also believe they were involved in the process of deciding what the defense strategy would be, at least to a degree:

“FREEHOLD – More than a year after he was charged with the murder of Sarah Stern, Liam McAtasney has hired a new defense attorney with a track record of acquittals in Monmouth County.

New Brunswick defense attorney Carlos Diaz-Cobo has taken over the high-profile case from Charles Moriarty, a West Long Branch attorney who had represented McAtasney since his Feb. 1, 2017 arrest in the 19-year-old Neptune City woman’s murder.

[SBM]

Asked how the change in attorneys came about, Diaz-Cobo said, ‘The family wanted to go in a different direction and they started asking around who the best attorney would be to take over the case. Several people pointed toward me.’

The defense attorney said multiple people recommended him to McAtasney’s family based on his reputation and track record for acquittals in Monmouth County.” (BBM)
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.app.com/amp/437853002

Now that the trial has started, I’ve often wondered how they are feeling about their apparent decision to support LM’s decision not to take the plea.

The only deal available called for a life prison term without the possibility of parole, which is basically what he is facing now:

“[An assistant Monmouth County prosecutor Meghan] Doyle said McAtasney, without the benefit of a plea bargain, faces a total of life in prison plus an additional 15 years if he is convicted of all of the charges at trial.”

I wonder how much of the evidence Diaz-Cobo shared with the parents prior to the trial.

Assistant Prosecutor Doyle revealed the existence of the confession tape and its contents almost two years ago.

As a parent, of course, I wouldn’t want my child spending the rest of his life in prison.

I can’t say for sure how I would handle a situation like this since I have never been in their shoes, but if this were my child, I don’t think I would want the video played or all of the damning evidence presented for the entire world to see. Or all of those involved -Sarah’s dad, especially- be forced to testify.

Now that the case has gone to trial, everyone knows what a cold-blooded, sadistic monster their son is.

ETA: Even If LM does end up spending the rest of his life in prison, which I believe he will, at least his family can visit him. For Sarah’s dad, the option doesn’t even exist.
These are some good questions and thoughts.IMO LM is a psychopath. Psychopaths are born that way. Unable to empathize, feel remorse, or care about others. The do feel, but only their own feelings, pain, etc. They watch an try to mimic "normal " or appropriate responses in social settings . They usually display typical patterns of a psychopath as children, hurting animals, lack of empathy.
So only LM family would know how he was growing up. Sometimes the truth is hard to let in. Yes, this case is a tragedy. Michael Stern will never, be able to hug Sarah again, or see her smile. Never see her reach her full potential as a woman. Her friends will never experience her vivacious personality, or tell her how much she meant to them. On a personal note, my daughter said she needs to speak with a therapist after viewing the 13 min tape. Sarahs murder has touched many of our lives. Your not supposed to bury your children or your friends.

Thanks, but I've been here a while and have posted before
Yes, you have, but I haven't had the opportunity to say a proper "Hello" to you. I'm enjoying your posts. :)

These are some good questions and thoughts.IMO LM is a psychopath. Psychopaths are born that way. Unable to empathize, feel remorse, or care about others. The do feel, but only their own feelings, pain, etc. They watch an try to mimic "normal " or appropriate responses in social settings . They usually display typical patterns of a psychopath as children, hurting animals, lack of empathy.
So only LM family would know how he was growing up. Sometimes the truth is hard to let in. Yes, this case is a tragedy. Michael Stern will never, be able to hug Sarah again, or see her smile. Never see her reach her full potential as a woman. Her friends will never experience her vivacious personality, or tell her how much she meant to them. On a personal note, my daughter said she needs to speak with a therapist after viewing the 13 min tape. Sarahs murder has touched many of our lives. Your not supposed to bury your children or your friends.
Very fine post, spaz.
You put it all together -- psychopath -- yes; inability to feel or think like others; fails to mature out of early teens; copies others to look "mature" and be like his peers; cannot feel as others do; the big empty -- yes all of it. His parents may have worried about him, or just thought he would come around as he matured. Didn't happen. Now many good people have paid or are paying the price and always will.

Very fine post, spaz.
You put it all together -- psychopath -- yes; inability to feel or think like others; fails to mature out of early teens; copies others to look "mature" and be like his peers; cannot feel as others do; the big empty -- yes all of it. His parents may have worried about him, or just thought he would come around as he matured. Didn't happen. Now many good people have paid or are paying the price and always will.
Thank you, and yes a very heartbreaking price.

Last edited:
From a clinical point of view, is it known whether or not LM's twin has psychological issues? I understand he attends the trial with his Dad.

Tuesday, February 12th:
*Trial continues (Day 8) (@ 9am ET) - NJ - Sarah Stern (19) (Dec. 2, 2016, Neptune City; not found) - *Liam McAtasney (21/19 @ time of crime) charged (2/1/17) & indicted (2/2/17) with 1st degree murder, 1st degree robbery, felony murder, robbery, conspiracy to commit robbery, desecrating human remains (2nd degree), tampering with physical evidence & hindering his own apprehension. Plead not guilty. No bond. DA seeks Life.
Trial started 1/23/19; should last 4 to 6 weeks & will only be on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, & Thursdays.
Skipping over Day 1 thru 6 - reference post #832 here: Still Missing - NJ - Sarah Stern, 19, Neptune City, 2 Dec 2016 *Arrests* #2
2/7/19 Day 7: State witnesses: Anthony Curry. DA played the video Curry recorded on Jan. 31, 2017, McAtasney laid out in detail choking Stern for a half hour. Edward Curry, Anthony's father, to corroborate his son’s story. Trial continues on Tuesday, 2/12.
His accomplice Preston Taylor (19) faces up to 20 years in state prison and is subject to the No Early Release Act. (Was facing up to life in prison on the felony murder charge and 51 years for the additional charges). He pleaded guilty (4/27/17) to 1st degree robbery, 2nd degree conspiracy to commit robbery, 2nd degree distributing or desecrating human remains, 2 counts of 3rd degree hindering apprehension & 4th degree tampering with physical evidence. His sentencing will be adjourned until later in the year, pending McAtasney’s trial. Has testified at LMc's trial.

Reportedly, LM plotted this murder for money with PT, and discussed the details with AC-- who later taped the brutal confession. It surprises me that LM did not solicit his twin, and curious if he did.

Just as verbally soliciting a crime is not enough (without anything further) to be actionable, it's not a crime not to report solicitation.

I wonder if LE ever questioned brother as part of the investigation.

Also, I just learned that LM family had fired another lawyer (Moriarty) before hiring Carlos Diaz-Cobo in March 2018.

MOO

Sarah Stern murder: McAtasney hires new lawyer with track record of acquittals

ETA: Not seeking answer or suggesting sleuthing family. Twin bonding is factual, and just thinking about the family dynamic with LM. Was he always the elephant in the room?

Snipped and bolded by me: I have to wonder why on earth they would agree to have this go to trial knowing that tape exists and would be played. Did they really think people would buy what the defense is trying to sell? If people had any doubts before that he was a psychopath, that tape all but confirms it.
I, also, don't think I would want that played for the world to see. If he had just taken the plea, he could have just slithered off to prison and not put Sarah's family/friends and his own family through this horrendous trial.

From a clinical point of view, is it known whether or not LM's twin has psychological issues? I understand he attends the trial with his Dad.

THAT is a fascinating question and one I have wondered myself. If one twin is a psychopath, is the other one a psychopath as well? Guess I'll have to look and see if there are any case studies on this.

Snipped and bolded by me: I have to wonder why on earth they would agree to have this go to trial knowing that tape exists and would be played. Did they really think people would buy what the defense is trying to sell? If people had any doubts before that he was a psychopath, that tape all but confirms it.
I, also, don't think I would want that played for the world to see. If he had just taken the plea, he could have just slithered off to prison and not put Sarah's family/friends and his own family through this horrendous trial.
I believe LM has much influence and control over his family -- as do most psychopaths. They're masters at it. Just look how easy LM solicited his roommate's involvement -- and for a pittance. I don't believe LM has much experience with being told "no." MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998