IL - Actor Jussie Smollett allegedly attacked in hate crime being black & gay Jan 2019 *ARRESTS*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Good article - thanks! I have to admit when this story broke, I scanned a couple headlines and immediately thought to myself “this is a bs story”. And after I’ve read up on it, I still question what actually happened, if in fact anything did happen. I sure hope this isn’t a hoax stemming from a need for attention or a cover story for some other occurrence.....the embarrassment factor would be so extreme. If so, it brings to mind Ryan Lochtke & his Olympics fiasco a few years back. JMO

Question for anyone that cares to respond...if no video is found does that mean in your mind that Jussie pulled a hoax?

I don't think the lack of video of an attack means it didn't happen, there are always bound to be blindspots even in a city that has a high density of cameras but we've been told the attackers fled the scene, I don't understand how they can have avoided the cameras completely both entering and exiting the blindspot. Given that LE released the stills from the earlier video that showed the 2 men on the adjacent street a while beforehand, if they had anything that showed them fleeing the scene I think either the video or stills from it would have been released by now.

If it was a random attack and the perps managed to be that good at evading so many cameras, thats amazing.
If it was a planned attack and they scoped out all the cameras, looked for blindspots, knew how to enter and exit the area without being spotted by any cameras and to wait for Jussie in that area at that time on such a cold night, then there has to be someone on his team or in his building or something feeding information to these people which is just veering into crazy territory. To think that people are so clever to plan this attack meticulously avoiding cameras all just to splash someone with bleach, put a noose around their neck and a tiny scratch on their cheek. <modsnip politics>

Last edited by a moderator:
We can't know what anyone is like just by a few interviews or videos, but I just watched an older interview of him on The View and he seems like a pretty decent forthcoming guy and makes no secret of his views.
He also has a video on those same views. I can't post the lyrics due to language but title is F.U.W.
Again no secret of his views.
I just don't see that he had a need to carry it any further by making up a fake attack to draw attention to his beliefs.
I know it isn't looking good that they can't find evidence but I will be surprised if there was a hoax in spite of how odd some of the events sound.
I think it is possible he was targeted. Possibly the guilty were in a vehicle near his apartment.
Time will tell....maybe. IMO
Oh and I have a hat to munch on as well if I'm wrong.

My concern is that evidence to support a crime may not be found and that may lead to people thinking it must be a hoax.
And yet sometimes we can't find evidence to prove a crime but the crime still happened.
I just can't imagine what would cause a person like Jussie to make up such a story.
He doesn't need the attention. He is in a show that is well known and has talent.
In other words he isn't a random guy off the streets.
Just curious and interested in the outcome,whatever it might be. IMO
I agree that some crimes boil down to "he said, she said" and it is sometimes impossible for LE to prove a crime has been committed, let alone charge someone with it. However, in a case where the accusations and evidence seem implausible, then of course many will think it's "probably" a hoax. And as others have mentioned, one's motivation for doing something may be radically different than what conventional thinking or common sense would tell us. So, I wouldn't let his supposed motivation for making a hoax or not making a hoax be my guide for whether it is a hoax or not; I'd simply try to look at the facts themselves. And again, I would not come to a 100% certain conclusion until proven.

I've read that the FBI is handling the investigation into the threatening letter sent to JS but I don't know if the FBI has interviewed JS.

If JS has been interviewed by the FBI he would have certainly told the truth. I don't know if lying to CPD would be a crime but lying to the FBI is considered to be a Federal crime. I can't imagine anyone doing something that stupid.

I've read that the FBI is handling the investigation into the threatening letter sent to JS but I don't know if the FBI has interviewed JS.

If JS has been interviewed by the FBI he would have certainly told the truth. I don't know if lying to CPD would be a crime but lying to the FBI is considered to be a Federal crime. I can't imagine anyone doing something that stupid.

Yes, it is a crime to knowingly make a false police report. If this turns out to be a hoax, I have a feeling LE is going to make an example out of him, especially considering the amount of resources that would have been wasted on investigating a fake crime. Jmo

From John Cardillo America Talks Live host on @NewsmaxTV:

"#JussieSmollett went too far. CPD is publicly still calling him a victim, but sources in the department tell me that the investigative focus has now shifted, and they’re investigating Smollett for the hoax."

Second City Cop Current and former Chicago cops
"Don't Make Us Laugh Ed" post:

"The dog-and-pony show is continuing until such time as they can plausibly close the incident without any political fallout."

I've got a hat sitting next to my computer...just in case.

For those who may have missed my earlier post or are choosing to disregard it for some reason:

Websleuths is victim friendly ... 39 posts have been removed which violate WS policy in that respect.

UNLESS/UNTIL law enforcement indicates they are not taking this case seriously, posts that are not victim friendly will be removed and posting privileges may be suspended either temporarily or permanently.

Also, leave politics out of this discussion. Warning points for introducing politics into a thread can remain permanently on a member's account.

Post accordingly.

This post lands at random in relation to what is victim friendly.

If members wish to discuss conflicting reports in MSM, you must link to them and you may respectfully discuss discrepancies. In doing so however, you may NOT make insinuations or accusations against a victim.

WS isn't a rag mag, gossip type of forum. This is a victim friendly forum, and unless LE or MSM conclude that a victim is not a victim, members should err on the side of caution in how they discuss a victim at Websleuths.

Example, if an article reports that the victim says attacker had green eyes and another reports that he said brown eyes, you may discuss possible reasons for such a discrepancy (i.e. maybe reporter was wrong, maybe lighting was difficult, maybe victim was traumatized, etc). You may NOT say things to the effect "oh, the victim is probably lying" or "just can't seem to keep his story straight".

Any further questions in that regard, please message a Mod or Admin directly for clarification.

Denise Huskins' kidnapping and rape was publicly called a hoax by police and she and her boyfriend (who was also assaulted) were public enemy #1 for over a year, had to hire lawyers etc., until the rapist struck again and was caught. Some stories do sound crazy and unbelievable but imagine the agony of a victim not being believed, not being comforted, not being protected, and instead being further victimized. I agree the JS circumstances sound very far-fetched, but some cases defy all logic. I hope the truth comes out soon.

Rob Elgas on Twitter

This guy Rob Elgas seems to be a good person to follow on twitter for factual Smollett updates; he doesn't let his personal agenda flag fly high. *gasp*

His Jussie update tweets have been dwindling, though...

The police report (already posted) says the attackers used hands, feet and teeth as weapons, along with the liquid and the clothesline. He is also claiming they bit him in this 60 second frenzied attack? Then they both spider-manned up a building? This...I...what...

Rob Elgas on Twitter

This guy Rob Elgas seems to be a good person to follow on twitter for factual Smollett updates; he doesn't let his personal agenda flag fly high. *gasp*

His Jussie update tweets have been dwindling, though...

The police report (already posted) says the attackers used hands, feet and teeth as weapons, along with the liquid and the clothesline. He is also claiming they bit him in this 60 second frenzied attack? Then they both spider-manned up a building? This...I...what...

I saw a suggestion that the “hands, feet, teeth” might have been the result of filling out a form that had various choices:

Assaulted by:

1: firearm
2: sharp-bladed weapon
3: blunt weapon
4: hands, feet, teeth

I don’t have any proof of that, but it seems plausible to me.

The NY post published an article with quotes from some of his neighbors casting doubt on the story but the reason they're saying its not true is because the neighborhood is too liberal for it too happen!
To think that something bad couldn't happen in your neighborhood because your neighbors are nice is the height of hubris. Bad stuff happens in "liberal" neighborhoods all over the world even bad stuff happens in liberal gated communities.

What is interesting in the article though is that they say that by yesterday (Sunday) police still hadn't been given the phone records

Also "Last week, The Post traced Smollett’s likely route to the underpass from a 24-hour Subway sandwich shop where he bought a tuna sandwich and a salad.
Near the foot of a stairwell to the Loews, The Post found an empty hot-sauce bottle that was partially filled with a clear liquid that smelled like bleach.
The Post alerted police, who seized the bottle. Gulielmi said it was turned over to the FBI for analysis. The FBI declined to comment."

Apart from the finding the bottle with the liquid, my main question of what sandwich he got has been answered. Now all I need to find out is what toppings he got!

The NY post published an article with quotes from some of his neighbors casting doubt on the story but the reason they're saying its not true is because the neighborhood is too liberal for it too happen!
To think that something bad couldn't happen in your neighborhood because your neighbors are nice is the height of hubris. Bad stuff happens in "liberal" neighborhoods all over the world even bad stuff happens in liberal gated communities.

What is interesting in the article though is that they say that by yesterday (Sunday) police still hadn't been given the phone records

Also "Last week, The Post traced Smollett’s likely route to the underpass from a 24-hour Subway sandwich shop where he bought a tuna sandwich and a salad.
Near the foot of a stairwell to the Loews, The Post found an empty hot-sauce bottle that was partially filled with a clear liquid that smelled like bleach.
The Post alerted police, who seized the bottle. Gulielmi said it was turned over to the FBI for analysis. The FBI declined to comment."

Apart from the finding the bottle with the liquid, my main question of what sandwich he got has been answered. Now all I need to find out is what toppings he got!

Plot thickens! Holy Cholula!

One thing I find interesting is that there have been articles from left-wing and right-wing sites posted in this thread that are saying exactly the same thing. That does not happen very often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998