Recovered/Located CA - Jean Carlo Chery, 20, jet skier, was heading to Catalina Island, Long Beach, 10 Feb 2019

cybervampira

Reaction score
U.S. COAST GUARD Newsfeed unofficial

SAN PEDRO, Calif. – Coast Guard crews are searching for a male in the water who was last seen heading towards Catalina Island Sunday.

Missing is Jean Carlos Cheryl, 20-year-old Caucasian male wearing black and red wet suit with a red helmet. Cheryl was aboard a red and white Yamaha Jet Ski.

At approximately 1:30 p.m., a friend of Cheryl reported him missing to watchstanders at Coast Guard Sector Los Angeles-Long Beach. Cheryl was last seen in Long Beach at approximately 9:50 a.m. and was expected in Catalina Island later in the day.

Watchstanders dispatched Coast Guard Cutters Blacktip, Hawksbill and a Coast Guard Air Station San Francisco Forward Operating Base Point Mugu MH-65 Dolphin helicopter.

At approximately 2:00 p.m., the Coast Guard helicopter crew reported locating the red and black jet ski in the vicinity of Long Beach.

Orange County Sheriff’s Office, Long Beach Fire Department, Long Beach Life Guards and Seal Beach Life Guards are assisting with the search.

upload_2019-2-11_3-30-16.jpeg

Coast Guard searching for missing person in the water in the vicinity of Long beach

20-Year-Old Jet Skier Missing Off Coast of Long Beach

Man reported missing off the Long Beach coast; crews recover and inspect his personal watercraft – Press Telegram

Man reported missing off the Long Beach coast; crews recover and inspect his personal watercraft – Press Telegram

Snipped from above:
Two Coast Guard vessels and a helicopter took part in a search for Cheryl. The watercraft he had been riding was found about 5 nautical miles away from the Long Beach Lighthouse at 2 p.m., according to Coast Guard Petty Officer Mark Barney. He said investigators from the Long Beach Fire Department were examining the craft.

Oh, man. Stating the obvious: This is not good.

Wonder what happened?

I don't know how accurate that search location is, but I think it makes sense. That looks to be about 8 to 10 miles out. Since he left at 9:30 am and his craft was found around 5 miles from the Long Beach shore at 2 pm, it follows that the swell and tide made it drift back towards shore in that time.
Ugh, terrible.

!!!!!!!! Unbelievable !

He was part of a group:

"The missing person, described only as a Caucasian male, was part of a group of jet skiers who left the Alamitos Bay Marina about 9 a.m. toward Catalina Island, said Long Beach fire spokesman Jack Crabtree.

The jet skiers traveled a “distance out there” before they turned around, Crabtree said."

Gosh, I do hope he survives and recovers. No doubt he is at Habor UCLA Trauma Center....excellent facility

Tragic. This is so sad...he was so young.

The search & rescue team are all heroes. They found him and brought him home. Love those guys for what they do. It's dangerous work.

Here's what I don't understand: he was part of a group? I'm sorry, so how then exactly did he end up stranded alone out in the open water????? It's like that creepy movie by the same name, where the scuba divers get left out in the middle of the ocean by the group.

I can't imagine how he felt when he realized he was all alone out there.

I hope he was aware of his rescuers being with him at the end...and at least having the knowledge that he was not alone in the end.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back