Patsy at the hardware store.

It's in Thomas' book. I'll look it up. It was just weeks before the event. Reciepts were obtained with price matches for duct tape roll and cord package but without item specificity. Indication of premeditation here. Speculating of course. But that is a legitimate part of sleuthing.

Right. And didn’t JR call the store in Jan to try to get a copy of the receipt? Anyway, it seems far-fetched that these purchases would have been premeditation for a murder, when there was plenty of other items in the house that would have sufficed.

But, It is odd and coincidental that somebody purchased the cord and duct tape at the same time, if that’s what happened.

The pieces of both the cord and tape were frayed/cut at both ends, right? Either those pieces were being used elsewhere in the house and were grabbed at the time of murder, or the starting pieces had been used elsewhere. If the latter is true, I wonder if they were ever found. I’m sure the main source of these items were hidden somewhere, probably in a golf bag.

Didn’t they source the manufacture of this specific tape to NC in November 96?

s-joann-hanks-mcguckin-hardware.htm

acr:

"On January 19, the Boulder police department received a telephone call from one of the bookkeepers at McGuckins Hardware in Boulder. The bookkeeper said she had received two phone calls, one on January 14 and again on January 19, from a man only identifying himself as John and requesting information about receipts for purchases with his American Express card on December 2 and December 9. The caller said he would call back on January 20.The bookkeeper said that the person calling was pushy, impatient and intimidating. Boulder police met at McGuckins early on the morning of January 20 and set up a tape recording for calls to the accounting department. The bookkeeper had volunteered to assist with tape recording of this conversation. The call came in soon after the store opened, but this time the caller was cordial and patient:

"This is John. I called you last week looking for some receipts," said the caller. The bookkeeper said she had the receipts, but asked John to verify the number of the American Express account. John gave her a number that did not match the account number appearing on the receipts.

Bookkeeper: "That's not the correct number that I've got out of the system."

John: "Ok, but you were able to pull a purchase on an American Express on 12/2 for $46.31 and on 12/9 for $99.88?"

Bookkeeper: "That's correct. I was not able to pull anything for a John Ramsey.'

John: "Ok I'm looking at the invoices here from American Express and it does say 12/2 and 12/9 for those amounts on this card could be under Patsy's card too."

Bookkeeper: "That's exactly what it is, it's under Patsy's card.''

After confirming that John's and Patsy's American Express cards were under a joint account, the bookkeeper agreed that she could provide John with the information from the store if he would provide a written request. John told the bookkeeper he would provide the written request by fax machine and asked the bookkeeper to send the store receipt to him by fax.

A few minutes later John called again. "I just got your fax and I wanted to thank you for that. I also wanted to ask you if there was a itemized invoice available on those two. I got the credit card invoices but not the itemized copies." The bookkeeper apologized for the mix up and told John she would immediately fax the itemized receipts

The receipts for purchases by Patsy Ramsey in, December 1996 at McGuckins shows items priced at $1.99 the price of the missing duct tape, but unfortunately the items listed at this price were not identified on the receipt. Perhaps that is what John was trying to find out."

Last edited:
I think it's been established that the caller was not John Ramsey but a reporter impersonating him.

@cascade
Can you remember the source?

Tadpole12,
Same as your:
McGuckin Hardward Clerk Alerted BPD on "John" calling about AMEX Purchases

June 24, 1999
State of Colorado vs James Joseph Rapp and Regana Rapp
Charged with Racketeering
James Rapp pleaded guilty to one count December 6, 1999
Regana Rapp pleaded guilty to one count of the indictment on Dec. 2, 1999
James Rapp was sentenced January 20, 2000

James Joseph Rapp 39, and Regana Rapp, 29 were private investigators who operated a Denver-based company called Touch Tone Information Acquisition Inc. located at 2323 S. Troy St. in Aurora., and were indicted by a Jefferson County, Colordo grand jury on state racketeering charges.

The grand jury said that the Rapps previously operated a series of other companies, variously known as "Mile High Legal Services,'' "Phantom Investigations,'' "Winters Investigations,'' and "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap.''

The lists of clients seized shows that the Rapps had more than 1,200 clients, most of located outside of Colorado. Most are private investigators acting on behalf of news media, various tabloids, banks and insurance companies, the indictment said. One of the Rapps' most important clients, authorities allege, was a Palmdale, Calif.-based man by the name of Larry Olmstead who reported as runing "Press Pass Media,'' a private detective agency whose main clients are tabloid media organizations.

Prior to doing business as Touch Tone Information, Inc., the defendants offered similar services as Touch Tone Data Research Corporation in Missoula, Montana, and Winter Information Network, Inc., in Logan, Utah.

The Rapps allegedly furnished the tabloids with private information about the victims of the Columbine High School shooting and used subterfuge to get everything from unlisted telephone numbers to bank records in the Ramsey case, the indictment found. The Rapp's were arraigned September 9, 1999

The indictment says, the Rapps obtained hard-to-get information about the JonBenet Ramsey case, including John and Patricia Ramsey's credit card bills, the phone number of a Boulder police detective and cellular phone records of a private investigator hired by the Ramseys' lawyers to work on the case.

James Rapp received a sentence of 100 days in jail, with credit for time served, and four years probation and As a condition of his probation, James Rapp cannot work as a private investigator. Regana Rapp was given a two-year deferred sentence.

More:
The Boulder district attorney's office deferred prosecution on the condition that Shapiro stay out of trouble for a year. He did.

A far more serious case is that of James and Regana Rapp, an Aurora couple indicted by a Jefferson County grand jury June 24 on two counts of racketeering.

Employees of the Rapps' firm, Touch Tone Inc., impersonated JonBenet's father, John Ramsey, in an effort to obtain receipts for purchases by Patsy Ramsey at McGuckin Hardware in Boulder the month before the killin, the indictment charges.

It is believed Touch Tone was acting as an agent for a California private investigator, who, in turn, had been hired by a tabloid television program.

A search warrant executed by Boulder detectives against Touch Tone's Denver office on May 29, 1997, showed that police seized folders containing phone records of Jay Elowsky, a friend of the Ramsey family.

Also found was information on private investigator H. Ellis Armistead, who was hired by the Ramsey team, and at least 58 files on the Ramseys.

Last edited:
Reading cascade's reply, I had a vague recollection of events …
thanks for the sourcing, UK.

I think Patsy was buying cord and tape innocently and not with anything sinister in mind (she would have been a lot less obvious I feel, were she planning the horror night ahead of time). She gave John a painting as a Christmas gift. The cord and tape may have been to hang that up?

I think Patsy was buying cord and tape innocently and not with anything sinister in mind (she would have been a lot less obvious I feel, were she planning the horror night ahead of time). She gave John a painting as a Christmas gift. The cord and tape may have been to hang that up?

Veronica Lodge,
You could be right, or Patsy just thinks cord and tape mighr be handy over Christmas. Definitely not purchased with a homicide in mind, why not: consider the evidence trail, card purchase, etc.

What is more interesting is these are items that link Patsy to the wine-cellar in a manner any other cord or tape might not?

Add in the paintbrush from the paint-tote, fibers from her jacket the, penknife and it all seems to point to Patsy staging JonBenet?

What is more interesting is these are items that link Patsy to the wine-cellar in a manner any other cord or tape might not?

Add in the paintbrush from the paint-tote, fibers from her jacket the, penknife and it all seems to point to Patsy staging JonBenet?

It does seem to point that way. A little too much tbh. This may have been John's Plan B or C if things went wobbly - he could always claim she was mentally unwell etc if need be. He had a shower, he told Patsy to call the police, he was in control whilst she was a blubbering mess. He happily handed police the writing pads, and could not wait to jump on plane out of there. I think he could have easily flown away to his important meeting and left Patsy in the thick of it.

It does seem to point that way. A little too much tbh. This may have been John's Plan B or C if things went wobbly - he could always claim she was mentally unwell etc if need be. He had a shower, he told Patsy to call the police, he was in control whilst she was a blubbering mess. He happily handed police the writing pads, and could not wait to jump on plane out of there. I think he could have easily flown away to his important meeting and left Patsy in the thick of it.
Fly to Atlanta and then leave the country.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alicialynne
Back