CANADA Canada - Ben Tyner, 32, cowboy, his horse returned w/o him, Merritt, British Columbia, 26 Jan 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks- you know, I meant to ask this question and it just slipped my mind when I posted something else, hah- I blame old age.

If he was last seen on Saturday night, than man oh man, does that change things drastically, in my opinion. I wish LE would clarify if anyone at the ranch saw or heard him come in after his night out. That would make a huge difference in this case, if he never made it home to the ranch the night before. Which makes me question- if this is the case, I hope that LE is quietly investigating where he was last, who he was with, etc. If someone harmed him- they could have set the horse loose to make it look like he had an accident or did self harm.
I believe LE is quietly investigating and asking for camera footage along roadways from businesses etc. Missing Facebook page has stated this and also asked for posters to place in businesses.

I read that as well, I believe q101 news in Merritt. Lack of tracks if I recall.
I read that as well, I believe q101 news in Merritt. Lack of tracks if I recall.

We should really find the MSM article then.

Global News reported “there has been speculation that someone may have transported the horse to the area in which it was found using a truck trailer.”

My recollection tells me that NR told MSM their NR trucks & trailers are all accounted for.

Tammy Straya from NR office did say that BT’s truck & trailer are still parked in his driveway and there was nothing to suggest in what direction he was headed or why.

Global News reported “there has been speculation that someone may have transported the horse to the area in which it was found using a truck trailer.”

My recollection tells me that NR told MSM their NR trucks & trailers are all accounted for.

Tammy Straya from NR office did say that BT’s truck & trailer are still parked in his driveway and there was nothing to suggest in what direction he was headed or why.

Anna, what article do you want? I have a few bookmarked.

Here's one that says a bit more.

Mystery of missing Merritt cowboy deepens as search continues amid plunging temperatures

"Police have been investigating the possibility that the horse was driven into the area with a truck and trailer, but said Wednesday they had not made contact with anyone who may have transported the animal.

Local resident Gerry Desilets, who helped searchers figure out who the riderless horse belonged to, said when he spoke to the Nicola Ranch, he was told none of its trucks or trailers were missing.

“With all the searching and looking they’ve done, they’ve come to… the conclusion that he must have been hauled up here, and so that’s what’s kind of making things a little bit puzzling,” he said."

You know something though? When were all these trailer reported in place and accounted for? Including Ben's own trailer? No one reported or realized he was missing until Monday morning. Any trailer from the ranch could have been used and retuned long before anyone realized one of them was missing as well. JMO

You know something though? When were all these trailer reported in place and accounted for? Including Ben's own trailer? No one reported or realized he was missing until Monday morning. Any trailer from the ranch could have been used and retuned long before anyone realized one of them was missing as well. JMO

Absolutely. Also, Monday morning prior to NR receiving notification of the horse, where did his “hands” think he was?

Last edited:
The above article states that Ben was last seen around 2:00pm sat. Jan. 26 but other reports now say it was around 10:00pm. What were the circumstances of either sighting: Who reported it and where was he located and was he riding his horse or least have the horse with him.

Yes, the reporting is all over the place.

The above article states that Ben was last seen around 2:00pm sat. Jan. 26 but other reports now say Sat. evening. What were the circumstances of either sighting: Who saw him and where was he located and was he riding his horse or at least have the horse with him.
RBBM
All unknown...or at least unreported.(under-reported IMO)

IMO, the lack of reporting is a good thing. It makes me think LE have a good lead & know what really happened & are now getting their ducks in a row.
Possibly true now. But in the beginning when there was reporting, there was never a statement of where he was last seen or by whom. I can understand the difference in time reporting, due to more info coming in. The later Saturday evening report came out days after the 2pm report, and was in MSM article entitled "Search time Narrowed" or something like that. As they discovered more and more recent info, then the statements changed. Now though? Nothing. Usually that is a sign that either there just is nothing...or that they have leads, maybe evidence, and are protecting the investigation. JMO

It was —15C all day today in Merritt. Still cold and our wind adds to the chill factor as, that is for sure!

There are loads of “places to hide” and there is some flat rangeland out there but Merritt is hardly flat.

Would be easier to gather stray cattle if that were the case. (On a side note, How many head didn’t get gathered this fall? .... this is what NR people suggested BT was doing, “looking for strays”).

I don’t know, maybe I misunderstood the comment & you meant cabins that are potential hideouts?

I’m local and very familiar with our surrounding landscape and it’s vast & fairly dramatic in areas: we have dense conifer forests, sagebrush, grasslands, wetlands, many lakes, rocky outcrops, large stands of timber where logging is almost ongoing....

Regardless, if there are so few spots why has it taken so long to locate BT or, the evidence LE, SAR and civilians have spent so many days searching for?

Confirm that LE has been asking around about a few things; they’ve approached businesses as well as civilians/residences.

We are all holding our breath as to where the investigation is at . . . are they close to releasing some more information? MSM has been silent.
I too am very familiar with Merritt, I lived on Iron Mountain. As you know with any animal that may have passed the birds circle as well as other animals would’ve found him. Why they called off all the help imo was a disservice to the family. It is mostly flat where NR is, IMO that’s why the old horse coaches used it as a stop a hundred years ago.

Interesting. Luke Neville is listed 3 times. Dean Morrison is not there either. These are 2 other men who are missing in the same area as Ben with threads on WS.
Really very odd imo, what conclusions can we gather from this, keep in mind the laws surrounding missing persons very from the USA and Canada ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chiefdartz