ACTIVE SEARCH SD - Serenity Dennard, 9, Children’s Home Society, Pennington County, 3 Feb 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
"A close-up image of where search and rescue personal have searched for 9-year-old Serenity Dennard. The yellow lines represent people, the hot pink lines represent dogs, and the blue lines represent an airplane."

I have no idea how they track this so well but my goodness!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 45
From what I've seen parents dealing with RAD and or ODD are dealing with something not even remotely close to my most stubborn child. It's very frightening looking from the outside. I have a friend whose 11 yo is in residential treatment right now. Why? Because he pushed her down the stairs and fractured her spine. And he said that if he returned home he'd probably hurt her again. :/ And this occurred while they had people coming to their home multiple times a week for therapy and treatment.

Most of the people I know dealing with similar issues are dealing with adopted children who seem to have a very high rate of RAD and ODD. :(

Our daughter is adopted and has RAD and a whole host of other diagnosis', but RAD is the single most powerful of them all. She, too, is in residential for things like throwing our 17 year old cat across the room, beating me with a shoe and with a hanger, and threatening daily to come in during the night and stab to death her youngest sister, who has been sleeping in our room for 5 years now. Even with her sister gone, her PTSD persists. Mine does too. And yet, if you spoke with people outside of the family, they will tell you she is charming and funny and sweet. Our experience was more sinister. I'm not saying Serenity was this way or even had this diagnosis, but if she did (which is entirely possible given her circumstances), it could definitely explain her defiance and stubborn will.

I really wish there was a way to know what was running through her head once she got outside. Was she simply trying to avoid going back in? Was she interested in a walk to a favorite spot? Was she trying to get home? All of that would factor in to where she headed, or even if she tried to head in a specific direction. They seem to have checked thoroughly within a mile, and have expanded that to 2.5 miles, which seems to indicate that she wasn't just trying to hide from the Home workers. Of course it is possible that she found a hiding spot that they just haven't come across, but that seems less likely the more they look.

If she's anything like my daughter with RAD (and that's not saying Serenity has it), they are attention seekers and they have to have the ultimate control in all situations. Whenever our daughter left the premises it was either to get you to chase her (which institutions here are not allowed to do) or just to be in control; kind of her way of flipping everyone off. I don't think she ever thought ahead in terms of what she would do when she finally achieved the control she desired. One time, she just sat and waited for them to come get her.

Not blaming the staff, if they were following protocol just wondering why the protocol is the way it apparently is.

If the home is in the middle of nowhere all the more reason to have security cameras. For the safety of those inside as well, in case someone who intended harm arrived.

Dear Iceice9

I agree. It is the protocol that concerns me along with the lack of security cameras/measures.

As you mentioned in a previous post, with your experience in E.M.S., authorities would rather receive a call that ended up well than one much later which hinders their search.

Regardless of the treacherous weather (as indeed it was when Serenity went missing), a two-hour delay before calling authorities, to me, is unconscionable.

Again, my intent is not to judge the staff but rather, the protocol. The protocol is far from reasonable, especially given the weather conditions.

In my opinion, there will be a review and investigation into this and I believe that the protocol will be changed.

It just deeply saddens my heart when a child suffers (perhaps even with her life) because of protocol and any delays in a search by authorities.

I believe that at the end of the day, we all seem to reflect on the way life works. We all go about our days following the necessary rules, laws, protocols, that keep the community safe. Every once in a while, something happens outside of our norms.

In many cases, there is a need to find fault. To blame someone, or something, for the outcome of anything we find faulty. Not everyone does this. Some that do are being as human as all of us. I think I'm still in the "find and bring SD home mode." Some have, IMO, made that 'fault' jump already. I understand their thinking, but I am not there yet myself. All IMHO MOO :)

ETA: Somehow my paragraph went poof. The kind words, the empathy that you have shown, help me to stay on the path I'm following. Please keep up the great dialogue :)

Dear Jim_M,

I still have hope that Serenity is alive somewhere and I recognize and understand that many others feel this way as well. Hope will never vanish unless we absolutely have proof otherwise.

We always have hope.

I question a protocol that resulted in such a delay to inform authorities. It is only the protocol that concerns me - I am in no way blaming or judging the staff. Perhaps this is the first time anything like this has ever happened there. Maybe when a child hides in a building, they are usually found within an hour. I have no idea.

The weather played a great part in this whole scenario, as we all know. Such drastic and freezing weather right at the time this young girl is missing.

I certainly agree with every word you say and I always look forward to, and greatly appreciate your posts.

Last edited:
SBM
In many cases, there is a need to find fault. To blame someone, or something, for the outcome of anything we find faulty. Not everyone does this. Some that do are being as human as all of us. I think I'm still in the "find and bring SD home mode." Some have, IMO, made that 'fault' jump already. I understand their thinking, but I am not there yet myself. All IMHO MOO :)

I think people that work in the field and understand how things tend to work have removed the rose colored glasses, if you will.

Like I said before, we will see what the investigation brings forth.

MOO

How long would it take for staff to search the facility?

At what point should LE be called? Right away?

I am surprised that they do not have signals on doors to indicate that a child has left.

The cameras. Maybe there are cameras that function in super frigid conditions. The winter has been unusual. I wonder when the last time it was that it was so frigid?

Maybe it gets super hot there as well and cameras do not function well in the heat?

Sunday's search for Serenity ends with no trace of the missing girl

"Pennington County Deputy Sheriff Willie Whelchel says it's been an emotional weekend."

"Everybody that's been involved, that's been out searching, obviously it becomes personal. It's an emotional thing. The longer it goes on it gets harder and harder. Everyone wants to bring Serenity home. If she is up in the woods we want to find her and bring closure to all this."

The problem is that after a few years working with these kids, people become so cynical and jaded. A kid starts crying about being "sick", so instead of taking a child to the ER, the protocol is to wait and see what happens, because these kids are often used to manipulation as a way of life.

The problem is that the workers are NOT medical professionals, but they are making medical decisions.

Same as a child who runs, I will almost throw this out there...that she left, in the cold, and cynically, the staff said, "She will come back when she is cold enough.". Because workers get tired of the constant drama. I bet she was gone twice as long as reported. And I would also carefully interview each of the workers again, alone, and see who blames who, and who cracks first. There may be more to this situation...

If the child is outside, the outcome won't be positive here...

Yes. And it burned me out, big time. The staff runs from idealistic college students, to older adults who can't find anything else. Remember, it is low pay, and 3 shifts, day, swing, night.

I worked summers, and part time when I didn't teach school.

Some places are better than others. But the burnout and cynicism happens fast.

So you let kids go missing without looking for them and following protocols? Or you knew about other co-workers doing so?

Anyone that ever did such a thing would not only be fired but arrested for child endangerment. I can't imagine any co-workers agreeing that "oh, they take off all the time, they'll come back".

Before I leave for the day, I really would love an answer to the questions in my quote to @mickey2942 please. I just want to know what you or your co-workers did when other coworkers saw children take off and no one went searching for them. This has been bothering me to no end the last few days.

Well stated imvho. That is our ultimate goal right there. Responsible people need to be responsible. And, held responsible, if anything in protocols was not adhered to. But that's for after we find this 9 year old child. We can be sure that LE has been keeping a very close eye on things. I just wish it would have warmed up! Sigh. All imo moo
Agree 100%. I, like the rest of you, just want darling Serenity found. Alive, safe, warm and happy, preferably. I'd give anything for this to be a custody battle or something where no harm comes to her. We can hope, @Jim_M - Jayme and SLP came home/were found, Casey was found safe and sound and spent time with a purple bear (Serenity's favorite color is purple- what a coincidence), as well as many others that have gone missing. Praying for the same miracle for Serenity.

Hi Everyone,

Please do not turn this discussion into a discussion about how you post and what you say. Do not address any poster in a personal manner. Examples: "You sound so aggressive" or "I am not going to stop posting my beliefs". Please do not turn the discussion into about you. If you see someone addressing you or another poster in a personal manner alert, please. Do not respond.

Thank you,
Tricia

Pennington County Sheriff’s Office news conference on search for missing 9 year old.
So they didn't go out today and probably won't tomorrow. They need to regroup. Weather later in the week is much colder.
Search area has been extensive, but with no success.
They also acknowledged the option that she was picked up as well.
This doesn't sound like it is going to have a quick resolution, sadly.

So they didn't go out today and probably won't tomorrow. They need to regroup. Weather later in the week is much colder.
Search area has been extensive, but with no success.
They also acknowledged the option that she was picked up as well.
This doesn't sound like it is going to have a quick resolution, sadly.

I think if she was out there she would be found. So a pick up sounds possible and if it was, it is not by a person who is doing the right thing,

There is no way she survived outside or by hiding in an unheated building.

I am not sure if this has been mentioned before - I did a thread search and could not find anything. Could she have had access to an online gaminG community like Roblox or Fortnight? My kid is 9 and she haS Roblox without the ability to chat, but if SD accessed this and chatted it is possible for her to have met someone to pick her up. I know it’s a stretch and it’s MOO but I thought I would throw it out there to discuss. I honestly think she ran and succumbed to hypothermia and they just can’t find her right now. MOO

I am not sure if this has been mentioned before - I did a thread search and could not find anything. Could she have had access to an online gaminG community like Roblox or Fortnight? My kid is 9 and she haS Roblox without the ability to chat, but if SD accessed this and chatted it is possible for her to have met someone to pick her up. I know it’s a stretch and it’s MOO but I thought I would throw it out there to discuss. I honestly think she ran and succumbed to hypothermia and they just can’t find her right now. MOO

Is it true in hypothermia you think you are boiling and take off your clothing?

I think if she was out there she would be found. So a pick up sounds possible and if it was, it is not by a person who is doing the right thing,

There is no way she survived outside or by hiding in an unheated building.

Just out of curiosity, what do you mean by "if she was out there, she would be found"? It is quite difficult to check every single square inch even in a very limited area, and very easy to overlook something, especially in that weather. If Serenity just kept going or walking around, she could have ended up anywhere in quite a large area. They did say they have searched clear up to route 16 and down to route 40, but that is an extremely large amount of square footage to cover, and it is almost impossible to be sure to thoroughly cover that much area with the limited manpower they had. It would be easy, for example, to miss a snow covered ditch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd