CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
What didn't he lie about? lol

I didn't hear any lies. Or anything that has been proven to be a lie. Most of what he said has been proven correct. He forgot his home address. He forgot the address to Metro. His memory was off a little. But I don't recall anything being said that has been shown to be a lie, as opposed to failure to recall.

The Trooper for one. I'm NOT saying he is 100% guilty yet, just 90% so far. ;)

We don't know that he was lying about that. This has not been proven. No one saw Chase drive that Trooper. There is no video of him driving that Trooper. No one at the border parking lot saw him. There is no cab driver who recalls picking Chase up and driving him home or to his truck. His pings do not place him at the border or even heading in that direction.

The DNA found could be transfer.

We don't know that he was lying about that. This has not been proven. No one saw Chase drive that Trooper. There is no video of him driving that Trooper. No one at the border parking lot saw him. There is no cab driver who recalls picking Chase up and driving him home or to his truck. His pings do not place him at the border or even heading in that direction.

The DNA found could be transfer.

Yep, on 3 separate parts, NOT! I respectfully disagree with you.

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:

How the DNA got onto that steering wheel may remain a mystery, but the possibility is there that it was transfer..

many of our questions are answered here:

The Case in Chief

[from June 15, 2015 Preliminary Hearing]

Monday, February 1, 2010

-On February 1, the Monday before the McStay family of four vanishes, defendant Charles (Chase) Merritt accesses (for the very first time) one of Joseph McStay’s on-line Intuit QuickBooks accounts.

–Merritt enters this on-line database utilizing Joseph McStay’s log-in and password, and does this from a computer located somewhere other than in the McStay home.

-The QuickBooks Intuit account accessed is titled: “Custom.”

A “new” vendor is added by Merritt (or it is assumed by Merritt) to the “Custom” QB account: “charles merritt” all lower case. “Charles Merritt” already exists in Joseph McStay’s other, older, account “Contacts“. In the Contacts account, the vendor is listed as “Charles Merritt” with the formal capitalization of the name.

-After this “new” vendor, “charles merritt” is added to the Custom account, at 12:34 pm two checks are written to “charles merritt”, for $2,500, ref. “deposit” (again only lower case letters are used).

-These two checks are printed, then deleted from the ledger. Yet, neither check is ever cashed.

RSBM, also BBM

I want to make sure I understand this correctly. "Charles Merritt", capitalized, was already added as a vendor to the CONTACTS account. Chase, on Feb 1, added himself, charles merritt, not capitalized, as a vendor to the CUSTOM account. So, am I understanding that previous to Feb 1, Chase was listed as a vendor ONLY in the CONTACTS account, not the CUSTOM account? Because I recall a lot of discussion that there would have been no need for Chase to add himself as a vendor because he already WAS listed as a vendor (thinking he added himself as a vendor when he was already listed as a vendor). But that would have been in the CONTACTS account, which Chase never (afawk) accessed, not the CUSTOM account? I think people may have been confused, not realizing the two accounts were completely separate?

RSBM, also BBM

I want to make sure I understand this correctly. "Charles Merritt", capitalized, was already added as a vendor to the CONTACTS account. Chase, on Feb 1, added himself, charles merritt, not capitalized, as a vendor to the CUSTOM account. So, am I understanding that previous to Feb 1, Chase was listed as a vendor ONLY in the CONTACTS account, not the CUSTOM account? Because I recall a lot of discussion that there would have been no need for Chase to add himself as a vendor because he already WAS listed as a vendor (thinking he added himself as a vendor when he was already listed as a vendor). But that would have been in the CONTACTS account, which Chase never (afawk) accessed, not the CUSTOM account? I think people may have been confused, not realizing the two accounts were completely separate?

RIGHT! I picked up on that as well. And now that I have a bit better understanding of QB's, from both JMarsh and katydid from their own personal experiences, I think that's right. I don't know if he would have been able to access "Contact vendors" from the "Custom account". The way katydid explained how she had accounts set up for her children, they couldn't access her main account. Unless I misunderstood something.

I don't believe than any of us, who have followed this case from beginning, would proclaim CM "innocent". Clearly he has not always acted in a prudent and legal manner. The question is did he, acting alone, murder and conceal the bodies of this precious family of 4. If he is found guilty, without any investigation of others who may be a part of the crime, then justice has not completely been served.

CM was not the only person who would benefit from the demise of the family. In fact others would benefit from the $100k in savings, the business profits from EIP, other family assets, etc. Why did DK eventually wind up with EIP (under a different name), why did MM feel it necessary to confiscate the camera, pictures, computers, and attempt to get the neighbor to let him access the surveillance camera, etc. from the home prior to a lawful investigation, why did some family members feel compelled to clean the home, do the laundry, throw out papers and trash etc. before law enforcement had thoroughly examined the potential crime scene? Why is everyone determined to jump on the CM bandwagon when the closest family members requested his help with checking out the home and keeping things going with EIP? Many knew that JM and DK had ongoing problems, very few seemed concerned (initially) about CM. I'm not trying to paint someone else as the guilty party(ies). Rather, I am trying to assure that CM benefits from the best investigation (SBSO and SDSO) and the proper legal defense before he receives a possible death sentence.

Why do you think that the Custom account was created to include Chase? Pretty sure that Joey used the Contact acct for writing checks to pay bills, not the Custom
That's exactly what was said in the preliminary hearing. No checks were paid out of that account until February 2, 2010.
11 Q Okay. With regard to the Custom account, were any checks
12 from, you said it was opened in January of 2008, from January of
13 2008 until February 1st, 2010, were any checks listed on
14 QuickBooks or written from QuickBooks on the Custom side of the
15 account?
16 A On the Custom side, no.
17 Q So, all the checks during that time period were listed on
18 the other account?
19 A On the Contact account, yes.

State of California VS Charles Ray Merritt: Part Four - Transcript of Charles Merritt Preliminary

RSBM, also BBM

Yes. Thank you. You understand.

I think that this is a real possibility. And depending on what we find out, this will be a determining factor for me in whether I believe Chase is complicit in these murders.

The state's theory is on its head. I don't buy the narrative at all. It seems implausible. But if Joey didn't set up the accounts the way I'm assuming-then I would be inclined to think Merritt guilty of something. BUT if Joey did set up the accounts as you have laid out, then I believe he was just accessing the records and check writing as Joey instructed him to.

<modsnip>

The defense said in their OS's... shake hands with your right hand, get in the Trooper, opening the door with your left hand... get into Trooper, touch the steering wheel first (chase was a minor contributor IIRC)... touch gear shift (trace contributor IIRC). We had this discussion a week or so ago... I had asked posters, when you open your driver door (assuming you are in north america and it's on the right side), which hand do you use to open the door? There is also a lot of research about transfer DNA. I will be shocked if we don't hear all about it when the defense comes up.

Maybe the defense team should be calling JMarsh LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
CM told SDSO Inv's he did NOT drive the Trooper, yet we have DNA on the wheel, gear shift & console. I *guess* we need an expert on how many x's DNA can be x-ferd?

His DNA was on the steering wheel as a minor contributor in a mixed sample (not the most reliable sample for testing to begin with); and Chase's DNA on the other objects was trace. Also NO DNA on the car door handle. He left no fingerprints.

This has all the indications of transfer DNA.

The defense said in their OS's... shake hands with your right hand, get in the Trooper, opening the door with your left hand... get into Trooper, touch the steering wheel first (chase was a minor contributor IIRC)... touch gear shift (trace contributor IIRC). We had this discussion a week or so ago... I had asked posters, when you open your driver door (assuming you are in north america and it's on the right side), which hand do you use to open the door? There is also a lot of research about transfer DNA. I will be shocked if we don't hear all about it when the defense comes up.

Maybe the defense team should be calling JMarsh LOL

Ha. That would be funny.

I don't believe than any of us, who have followed this case from beginning, would proclaim CM "innocent". Clearly he has not always acted in a prudent and legal manner. The question is did he, acting alone, murder and conceal the bodies of this precious family of 4. If he is found guilty, without any investigation of others who may be a part of the crime, then justice has not completely been served.

CM was not the only person who would benefit from the demise of the family. In fact others would benefit from the $100k in savings, the business profits from EIP, other family assets, etc. Why did DK eventually wind up with EIP (under a different name), why did MM feel it necessary to confiscate the camera, pictures, computers, and attempt to get the neighbor to let him access the surveillance camera, etc. from the home prior to a lawful investigation, why did some family members feel compelled to clean the home, do the laundry, throw out papers and trash etc. before law enforcement had thoroughly examined the potential crime scene? Why is everyone determined to jump on the CM bandwagon when the closest family members requested his help with checking out the home and keeping things going with EIP? Many knew that JM and DK had ongoing problems, very few seemed concerned (initially) about CM. I'm not trying to paint someone else as the guilty party(ies). Rather, I am trying to assure that CM benefits from the best investigation (SBSO and SDSO) and the proper legal defense before he receives a possible death sentence.

This is my opinion: The MS family *believed* the police were NOT doing enough to find the family. Their actions, in the following days/weeks after they missing seems normal to me. MM was doing everything he thought possible, IMO, to find his brother and family. The mother, HOPING they went somewhere was simply trying to clean the house of the terrible smell she experienced?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParamLubana