IL - Actor Jussie Smollett allegedly attacked in hate crime being black & gay Jan 2019 *ARRESTS*

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is tiring. I jump on one side of the fence, only to hop over to the other side. Occasionally I am sitting on the fence. Rinse and repeat :confused:
I hear you Bravo, that is why i love webseulths. Unlike yahoo/tmz comment sections, we have intelligent people here dedicated to breaking down missing person/unidentified cases that have a unique persepective. Some of my most respected WS members like Coffeeensig and others broke down this case like we have for missing people and other crimes expertly. You do enough of these, you get the feel of how amateurs (men arrested) do things and how the police operate with information.

I hope justice is served, I hope justice is color blind.. this behavior and the divide and backlash it has caused is not to be tolerated.

Personally I think the whole premise of “hate crime” is flawed for this exact reason. If this crime happened as Mr. Smollett said it did the element of “hate” is evidenced by what was was purportedly said, not by the race of the individual who said it. To suggest otherwise is in and of itself racist.
ITA. I think the entire encounter was to intimidate Smollett for whatever reason and he hesitated to report it because he knew them and is scared of them. These guys have a very rich lifestyle. Far, far beyond what working as an extra would buy.

JMO

ITA. I think the entire encounter was to intimidate Smollett for whatever reason and he hesitated to report it because he knew them and is scared of them. These guys have a very rich lifestyle. Far, far beyond what working as an extra would buy.

JMO

So he creates a complete fabrication? Mr. Smollett is a victim, but in this situation what if some young man meeting Mr. Smollett's description had been picked up? And picked out of a lineup by Mr. Smollett.

That is a scary premise.

Police: 2 persons of interest in Jussie Smollett case released without charges

Chicago police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi released a statement saying, "Due to new evidence as a result of today's interrogations, the individuals questioned by police in the Empire case have now been released without charging and detectives have additional investigative work to complete."

Guglielmi said the individuals are no longer being classified as suspects.

Personally I think the whole premise of “hate crime” is flawed for this exact reason. If this crime happened as Mr. Smollett said it did the element of “hate” is evidenced by what was was purportedly said, not by the race of the individual who said it. To suggest otherwise is in and of itself racist.

hate crimes are controversial but they have a clear definition;

"a criminal offense against a person or property motivated in whole or in part by an offender’s bias against a race, religion, disability, sexual orientation, ethnicity, gender, or gender identity.”

the difficulty arises in proving motive, in many crimes it can be hard to clearly distinguish motive, in hate crimes it often becomes very hard if not impossible.

for example - if my neighbor is sleeping with my wife and i decide to kill him, and when i do so i write things at the scene to imply it was a hate based crime, is that a hate based crime? no? or wait, maybe i really did kill him partially because of some hate based reason... maybe if a different person slept with my wife i would not have killed them, or would i?

that is why hate crimes are often not charged when it seems like they should be, and when they are charged they often fail, because it is very complex to prove.

the "element of hate" is not proven by the words said, it is proven by establishing motive.

i dont know many people that would claim that when a hate based crime can be proven that it shouldnt be punished more harshly.

Chicago police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi released a statement saying, "Due to new evidence as a result of today's interrogations, the individuals questioned by police in the Empire case have now been released without charging and detectives have additional investigative work to complete."

interesting, so many people had already decided they were guilty of criminal conspiracy. i wonder how the narrative will now shift.

So now if those two guys in the video turn out to be the ones just released, Smollett could be facing some legal action.

hate crimes are controversial but they have a clear definition;

"a criminal offense against a person or property motivated in whole or in part by an offender’s bias against a race, religion, disability, sexual orientation, ethnicity, gender, or gender identity.”

the difficulty arises in proving motive, in many crimes it can be hard to clearly distinguish motive, in hate crimes it often becomes very hard if not impossible.

for example - if my neighbor is sleeping with my wife and i decide to kill him, and when i do so i write things at the scene to imply it was a hate based crime, is that a hate based crime? no? or wait, maybe i really did kill him partially because of some hate based reason... maybe if a different person slept with my wife i would not have killed them, or would i?

that is why hate crimes are often not charged when it seems like they should be, and when they are charged they often fail, because it is very complex to prove.

the "element of hate" is not proven by the words said, it is proven by establishing motive.

i dont know many people that would claim that when a hate based crime can be proven that it shouldnt be punished more harshly.
I can guarantee you I wouldn’t have walked out of that interrogation room without charges.

I can guarantee you I wouldn’t have walked out of that interrogation room without charges.

<modsnipped personalized post> they said new information came to light and they now have more investigation to do, until someone gives me good reason to doubt them i will support their decisions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member