UK - Alesha MacPhail, 6, raped & murdered, Ardbeg, Isle of Bute, Scotland, 2 Jul 2018 -teen arrested

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he committed the crime and discarded his hoodie. Came home had quick shower. And then ran out barefoot and chucked away the rest of the clothes that were found. No idea what he went out looking for with the torch though.

Only read this post since the trial started. Only interest is a friend of mine lives close by and I saw it on her social media and her daughter was an ex pupil. All I can say is glad you aren’t my jury- the posts on this forum have definitely all swayed one way. Until all evidence is heard, I rarely form a strong opinion. In this case, I am particularly dubious about the whole family- for lots of reasons that have been said in the media and in the trial. I am curious to see how this pans out- motive is not strong at this point.

I think the motive is very strong. One of the most heinous yet common motives there is for kidnapping a young female---rape. And possibly revenge as well.

Two things to add this morning from a quick catch up read.

Has anyone a theory about why he was barefoot in one of the cctv footages from his mum's house? That seems v odd to me.

Second thing, and apologies for being so graphic, but I doubt he wanted to hide her. The manner in which she was left suggests to me classic pose the victim to shock. And in this case cause maximum harm to her family.

Just my opinions.

He was barefoot IMO because he was picnicking ... if he was clothed but barefoot then I'd think maybe he was trying not to leave distinctive shoe sole pattern evidence but, he was only in shorts ... I think he went to bathroom to strip off ... maybe quick wash of hands or maybe not ... strip off clothes worn during attack - grab shorts then straight out to dump clothes and knife (which I'm thinking he did use during the attack - 117!!! Injuries! And i can't even bring myself to type what i think ... ) i think he truly thought that he'd hoy the clothes and knife in the sea and the tide would carry them.out never to be found ...

Unfortunately, bonafide psychopaths do not require a motive (in the typical sense) as they simply torture and kill randomly. It is very difficult for a normally wired person to understand this and it is why psychopaths do very often get away with their crimes; displaying no remorse, even when faced with catastrophic consequences.

I think he committed the crime and discarded his hoodie. Came home had quick shower. And then ran out barefoot and chucked away the rest of the clothes that were found. No idea what he went out looking for with the torch though.

His phone? Maybe there was some element of truth in that part ... maybe he dropped his phone at some point hence why he took a torch/flashlight cause otherwise, he'd just use the torch on his phone?

ETA - maybe it was dropped during one of those times he was jumping over walls in and out of his home?

Some of these theories are such interesting reads. Newbie post. Had to sign up to get involved

What gets me and has been playing on my mind is on the morning of July 2nd the accused messaged his group of friends a selfie with his face not in the picture, saying "found the guy that did it"

This baffles me as it's the morning Alesha was found dead, yet, it was only released to the public 3/4 days later that she was murdered and raped. So how would he have known that someone had even ''done' anything to the poor girl? Unless somehow he had some knowledge as to the condition of the girl?

Welcome to WS

Just bringing my timeline post back up - public were told the same day that Alesha had been murdered. But, apart from that, I do agree completely with your post - a very odd comment by the accused.

Initial timeline

Monday July 2
6.25 am alarm raised for Alesha
8.54 am Alesha found
11.00 pm Police Press Conference stating this is a murder enquiry

Tuesday July 3
Afternoon - Suspect spoken to by police, as a witness ( at his home )
Agrees to provide DNA sample

Wednesday July 4
Evening - Suspect arrested on suspicion of the murder of Alesha

Thursday July 5
Afternoon - Suspect charged in connection with the death of Alesha - some reports also said charged with the murder of Alesha.

Friday July 6
Supsect charged with rape and murder of Alesha

Last edited:
Does anyone know if his house was searched after the arrest, I’m thinking the shower / bathroom would leave traces of her DNA which would 100% implicate him.

Hopefully they did full Forensic testing on him too , his fingernails etc as that would pick up on any of her DNA on him?

The jury was told that a hand print belonging to the accused was found on a chair rail leading upstairs at a house in Rothesay, above steps ten and 14, on July 11.

Teenager, 16, goes on trial accused of raping and murdering a six-year-old girl | Daily Mail Online

Sorry can't remember who asked, and I've just been scrolling back through this thread to find this -
but this is the information about the hand print at the McPhail home.
I think it's a typo by the journo and should read a stair rail - so it was found on the spiral staircase inside the tower which is the access from ground to first floor level at the McPhail family home.

He was barefoot IMO because he was picnicking ... if he was clothed but barefoot then I'd think maybe he was trying not to leave distinctive shoe sole pattern evidence but, he was only in shorts ... I think he went to bathroom to strip off ... maybe quick wash of hands or maybe not ... strip off clothes worn during attack - grab shorts then straight out to dump clothes and knife (which I'm thinking he did use during the attack - 117!!! Injuries! And i can't even bring myself to type what i think ... ) i think he truly thought that he'd hoy the clothes and knife in the sea and the tide would carry them.out never to be found ...
The amount of injuries are also disturbing me as well. But if a knive was used wouldn't the pathologist say? He just mentioned shaking, pressure, suffocation.

I'm not sure if this has already been discussed, but which stair railing was his handprint found on? Was it on the approach to the front door of the flat or are there interior stairs within the flat? Was there an attic bedroom above the main part of the flat?

See my post today - 2009 - just above this one.
The McPhail flat is accessed from the back of the building and via an internal staircase to the first floor. Yes there is an attic bedroom above, on the second floor of their flat.

Last edited:
I was out all day today so have only managed to catch up on today’s discussion now. Just a few observations.

a) The accused’s Mum claimed he didn’t understand DNA or words to that effect. However, I’m struggling to believe that now given the witness testimonies today regarding discussions with the accused about true crime documentaries they had watched. We all know if you watch true crime, the subject of DNA will come up.

b) The more I think of it, and if he is guilty, the more inclined I am to believe he acted on impulse rather than planned. Had it been planned, I think he would have been better at hiding Alesha and disposing of his things. It really didn’t take long to find her at all.

c) I don’t know what to make of the witness asking for the screen to be removed. I find it quite admirable in a way because it was a pretty bold thing to do to stand out from his peers and face the accused. I can’t make up my mind whether this witness thinks the accused is guilty or not.

d) If he does take the stand, I think it will be at his own insistence as he believes he can outsmart or outcharm the jury. Classic sociopathic trait. When someone thinks they can outsmart a courtroom, my mind always goes to Bundy representing himself.

All MOO.

I can't remember now ( will have a scroll back later ) but was this witness the one that the accused had named as having supplied him with drugs on that night ? If so, then perhaps the witness was angry with the accused for this fabrication and wanted to face up to him in court.
Or ,could be as you say, he still has doubts about the accused's guilt and wanted to show some form of solidarity/kindness to his friend.

Surely this would be easy to clarify by accused CCTV what clothes he was wearing if they matched the ones found or if he was clever could have worn two layers of clothes to deceive camera .
Maybe he thought leaving it on a tidal beach would eliminate DNA . Would his Mum not recognize clothes or are they unrelated to case or from another person related to case but not found.
Was there stab wounds on the body and is there relevance with the knife found on beach or could this be unrelated as it is unclear if there is DNA connecting the accused to these items.
I'm guessing from his defense that he knows his sperm is on body and that there is no other way of explaining that.

The distance from the houses where the cctv was provided from, across to the shelter and the shoreline is a fair distance. Am not sure if I should put up the google map as I don't believe the exact addresses were given for the owners of the cctv ( someone correct me if I'm wrong on that please, it's been a long week ).
But it is possible for anyone to view it via google maps.
At that distance - and at 2.36am in the morning - I am really not sure the cctv could show anything more than a person with a child - I can't believe it is clear/close enough to show an actual face.
However, it can hopefully show the build of the person... I'll leave the rest of this sentence unfinished but I'm sure you know what I mean.
I agree re the clothing - it was high tide at 3am that morning ( thank you Tortoise ) so he undoubtedly did think the clothing would get washed away - his bad luck that it did not.
Nothing has been said in the horrific PM report about any stab wounds. My take is he took the knife as a back up in case of need. When it was not needed, he threw it into the water right outside the McPhail house, having no further need for it. ( ie: not where the clothing was found, far as I understand )
Agree re his defence argument. Would be interesting to know at what point during his remand he decided to provide this information to his Defence team. It speaks volumes if he only produced this story after the prosecution had made known their findings to the defence.

Last edited:
I can't remember now ( will have a scroll back later ) but was this witness the one that the accused had named as having supplied him with drugs on that night ? If so, then perhaps the witness was angry with the accused for this fabrication and wanted to face up to him in court.
Or ,could be as you say, he still has doubts about the accused's guilt and wanted to show some form of solidarity/kindness to his friend.

I’m not 100% sure if it was the same person. I was inclined to think the same as you but it was hard keeping track of the witnesses yesterday because they were unidentifiable other than being referred to as witness.

This article has the person the accused named as selling him drugs as someone different from the boy who wished for the screen to be removed.

Alesha MacPhail: Accused teen as was 'suicidal' on night of alleged murder

It was describing it as an ‘unlucky coincidence’ that made me go hmm.

Perhaps he really did drop his phone - just as he told his mother - at the crime scene and went back to find it ? or went back to check on something ? he was running when he left with the torch and out for 9 minutes, so it is possible

Two things to add this morning from a quick catch up read.

Has anyone a theory about why he was barefoot in one of the cctv footages from his mum's house? That seems v odd to me.

Second thing, and apologies for being so graphic, but I doubt he wanted to hide her. The manner in which she was left suggests to me classic pose the victim to shock. And in this case cause maximum harm to her family.

Just my opinions.

Avoid leaving shoeprints if he went back to the beach to check his other items had been washed out (or so he thought)? I don’t know much about what the beach is like but I imagine if there’s sandy areas he’d want to avoid his shoe prints being left behind...

If this is why he went bare foot, also questions his ‘lack of knowledge about DNA’

He clearly knew enough to shower, get rid of his clothing, go barefoot etc...

Connor Gillies

Witness says accused sent video to Snapchat group of himself in the bathroom after police announced a murder investigation was underway. Witness says accused said “I found where the murderer was hiding” And he pointed at himself.
The video was recorded in a mirror.

Just seen this while rechecking witness evidence from yesterday.

If this is the actual quote, it is far more damning that the other wording we had previously

Perhaps he really did drop his phone - just as he told his mother - at the crime scene and went back to find it ? or went back to check on something ? he was running when he left with the torch and out for 9 minutes, so it is possible

Think we discussed this a few days ago and someone said that 9 minutes wasn't anywhere near long enough to get to the crime scene and back in 9 minutes BUT ... it's enough time to go and find your phone that you dropped during all your wall hopping?

Last edited:
Connor GILLIES

Another witness takes to the stand. 17 year old boy is friends with accused. Accused tried to contact the witness in early hours of 2nd July (when Alesha disappeared) looking for cannabis. Nothing became of that.
Witness is finished giving evidence.

Found it - this is not the same witness as the one who had the screen moved back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelKeell