CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tricia

Manager Websleuths.com
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
On Feb 4th, 2010 the McStay Family, Joey, Summer, Gianni, and Joseph Jr vanished from their home. It looked like the family simply got up and left their home never to return.

Law Enforcement was convinced that the McStay family ran away to Mexico.

Patrick McStay, Joey's father, along with other loved ones knew there was no way Joey and his family would never flee to Mexico. There was no reason for this scenario presented by law enforcement.

Up until the remains of the family were found buried in the desert on November 11, 2013, Patrick McStay searched for his son and his family.

Family friend Chase Merritt was arrested for the McStay family murders on Nov 7th, 2014 and finally, Merritt's first-degree murder trial is underway.

The McStay forum is in our private section. However, we are making the discussion of the trial public.

Link to prior threads
#1 CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010

Trial Thread #4
Thread #5

Thread #6

Last edited by a moderator:
and coming up:

Tuesday, February 19th:
*Trial continues (Day 20) (@ 9:30am PT) - CA - McStay Family: Joseph (40), Summer (43), Gianni (4) & Joey Jr (3) (Feb. 4, 2010, Fallbrook; found Nov. 11, 2013) - *Charles "Chase" Ray Merritt (57/now 60) arrested (11/5/14) & indicted (11/7/14) of 4 counts of murder with special circumstance; plead not guilty. DP case.
12 jurors & 6 alternates were finalized on Tuesday (12/11/18). 8 women & 4 men, while the alternates include 4 men & 2 women. Trial started 1/7/19. Dark on Fridays.
Skipping Day 1 (1/7/19) thru 6 (1/15/19) – reference post #1180 here: CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #2
Skipping Day 7 (1/16/19) thru 11 (1/24/19) – reference post #1121 here: CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #3
Skipping Day 12 (1/28/19) thru 14 (1/31/19) - Reference post #217 here: CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #5
Skipping Day 15 (2/5/19) thru 17 (2/7/19) - reference post #648 here: CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #6
2/13/19 Day 18: State witnesses: Detective Jason Schroeder continues his testimony from last Thursday, under cross examination. He analyzed two McStay computers, Merritt's iPhone & a computer from Merritt. After lunch, attorneys are arguing over a QuickBooks witness, records. Michael West, works for Intuit. Sgt. Ryan Smith being recalled. Trial starts at 11am, a juror has an appointment, continues on 2/14.
2/14/19 Day 19: Arguments without jury present. Judge will allow the State to put on the evidence with regards to closeup photos of tire tracks, inquiries about U.S. borders, references to changing identity, & screenshot of Joseph McStay's contacts & cell phone records. State witness: Detective Dan Hanke (testifying about the Feb 8 & 9 calls made to QuickBooks). Ran out of witnesses ended at about 3:15pm. Next court date is Tuesday, 2/19.

@Tortoise unfortunately, I can't bring your post over now.

CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #6

Are you saying that Chase did owe MSM money? Because I disagree, it was clear in both Sequieda's and Carmen's testimony that Chase personally didn't owe them any money, Joey or EIP did. That is the post you replied to of mine, where I stated that he did not owe him money. As for the rest of it, I'm going to have to wait for testimony :)

@HelenK You made a comment on the last thread that Chase might have been here grabbing screenshots of pics that were floating around in the old threads... I could see that!

I recall at one time there were phone records, I think we even had some financial information, not sure if it was here or not though. I know I can still find some of this stuff, including some paypal screenshots and emails, the problem I have... is we don't know if they are authentic or not! Will be interesting to see all of that in the trial!

Are you saying that Chase did owe MSM money? Because I disagree, it was clear in both Sequieda's and Carmen's testimony that Chase personally didn't owe them any money, Joey or EIP did. That is the post you replied to of mine, where I stated that he did not owe him money. As for the rest of it, I'm going to have to wait for testimony :)
The difference is I wasn't talking about Chase legally owing money but him paying debts to Metro that clearly existed before Joey was murdered. The inference is there for interpretation and as a juror I would interpret it that way. We've already had the testimony from Carmen that she received the cheques from Chase on Monday or Tuesday and we've seen the backdated cheques to Metro also, raised on the 5th.

I'm not trying to change your opinion, I'm stating mine.

It seems pretty clear that Chase didn't owe anyone very much money. Even though the state opened with the suggestion that there was a large debt owed by Chase to Joey, so far, they haven't presented any evidence of this. And the Quickbooks testimony, it would seem, should have been the place to present that evidence.

@HelenK You made a comment on the last thread that Chase might have been here grabbing screenshots of pics that were floating around in the old threads... I could see that!

I recall at one time there were phone records, I think we even had some financial information, not sure if it was here or not though. I know I can still find some of this stuff, including some paypal screenshots and emails, the problem I have... is we don't know if they are authentic or not! Will be interesting to see all of that in the trial!

There was an excel spreadsheet that was on-line for awhile as well. Nothing ever to really indicate that large sums of money were owed. From the search warrants it's pretty clear that the only source for information about a large debt owed to Joey by Chase, is coming from Dan K.

The only real debt Chase seems to have incurred during this time period is related to his heart attack. He admits to owing over 100K on that. So what might have been perceived as gambling debt, may actually have been medical bills he was trying to pay off.

Last edited:
Imo, thus far, the defense case has been about a hundred excuses, combined with wanting the jurors to be gullible enough to believe in mere
coincidences. Oh, and the biggest absurdity they want the jurors to believe what CM has supposedly said, when the jurors know CM has the most vested interest than anyone to lie.

Along with totally unsupported multiple assumptions of possible could haves, and might haves again without supported evidence.

MrJitty, is correct, to affirm anything that has been said by the DT that CM supposedly said, CM must testify.

And oh how I wish he will testify. That would be the highlight of the case.

Once any defendant testifies in their own behalf then the burden shifts, because the jury will either find them credible or the total, and complete opposite thinking CM is a total liar who is another murderer who is trying to weasle out of murdering four in cold blood.

It's a very dangerous slippery slope, but one I sure hope he chooses to take.

Another reason I hope he does testify is because everything the judge has previously ruled inadmissible or too prejudicial it now all comes in when he takes the stand.

It will be a treasure trove for the prosecutor once they get up to cross examine the conman, and murderer.

He no longer will have the right to not incriminate himself. If he testifies he has willingly given up his 5th amendment right. So I'm sure the prosecutors are thinking.... 'please decide to testify CM, please do.' LOL!

After reviewing the state's case thus far. I feel very comfortable that the McStays will receive the justice they all deserve.

I feel there will be even more damaging evidence to come, and maybe even some surprise state witnesses before it's conclusion.

It is commonly known prosecutors save their best witnesses for last, which they know will have a major impact on the jurors.

Katy, I want to thank you for all of your posts, which have helped me immensely when following this case, and for keeping it real.
Jmo

It seems pretty clear that Chase didn't owe anyone very much money. Even though the state opened with the suggestion that there was a large debt owed by Chase to Joey, so far, they haven't presented any evidence of this. And the Quickbooks testimony, it would seem, should have been the place to present that evidence.

During the police interview, CM produced a copy of an email Joey sent CM indicating there was an overpayment to CM totalling $173k. CM did some kind of wacky math explaining that he really wasnt overpaid that amount and that there was a "running tab".

I know this isn't definitive proof such as a promissory note, but it does show that at least in Joey's mind, CM has been overpaid.

I think someone else posted something akin to this next, but here are the contacts between Joey and Chase by way of a phone log that has been on-line for some time (in the three months I have, there is actually not a single day when there is no contact):
Jan:
1 3
2 6
3 14
4 12
5 24
6 12
7 20
8 14
9 12
10 5
11 27
12 31
13 18
14 16
15 10
16 3
17 4
18 13
19 19
20 20
21 18
22 10
23 3
24 8
25 2
26 6
27 7
28 10
29 8
30 6
31 5

Feb
1 19
2 18
3 25
4 14

Last edited:
During the police interview, CM produced a copy of an email Joey sent CM indicating there was an overpayment to CM totalling $173k. CM did some kind of wacky math explaining that he really wasnt overpaid that amount and that there was a "running tab".

I know this isn't definitive proof such as a promissory note, but it does show that at least in Joey's mind, CM has been overpaid.

The defense has promised they are bringing in a forensic accountant to explain that monetary issue, and that the DA has it wrong. The DA, apparently did not get a forensic accountant to look at this.

I think someone else posted something akin to this next, but here are the contacts between Joey and Chase by way of a phone log that has been on-line for some time (in the three months I have, there is actually not a single day when there is no contact):
Jan:
1 3
2 6
3 14
4 12
5 24
6 12
7 20
8 14
9 12
10 5
11 27
12 31
13 18
14 16
15 10
16 3
17 4
18 13
19 19
20 20
21 18
22 10
23 3
24 8
25 2
26 6
27 7
28 10
29 8
30 6
31 5

Feb
1 19
2 18
3 25
4 14

Replying to my own post, if you go by the phone logs, nothing appears to have changed in Joey and Chase's relationship just prior to the family going missing. If anything, it would appear they are ramping up on their communication as they increase the volume of the fountains they are building together.

IMO, the two timed felon used a sledgehammer to explain to Joey the "forensic accounting".

I don't know what that means. I'm referring to a witness who will speak at trial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23