Found Deceased TX - Thomas Brown, 18, Hemphill County, 23 Nov 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks so much JB. The old emoticons aren't here anymore, or I'd send you a tins of cupcakes...

At 54:43 into this podcast....
\\Thomas Brown: Seeds Of Doubt | Free Podcasts | Podomatic"

I can sure understand your frustration JB. I skipped until I got what I was looking for - around the 54minute mark.
1 - the phone call was made to the LE dispatcher direct, not a 911 call. Mom says 2:15am is when she made the call. She left the house 2:15-2:20am after her calls (including one to KK's mom).
2. Deputy Pine Gregory responded 45 minutes after receiving notification. HOWEVER... he did not respond until 3:45-3:50am.

That's where I jump in and ask what happened in that time interval. Did dispatch hold back the call to the deputy for 45minutes (and then he didn't respond for a further 45minutes). Was dispatch unable to raise the deputy? I believe there were no other dockets that night... (forget which link that was in). What the heck....

I'm pro LE as we all are in here, however to learn that this deputy is still on staff today, I just shake my head. Did this missing time period not ever get explained in the public arena?

Next step... there's no sign of Thomas anywhere (it's not a big town) and so the searchers go home to regroup.
Next thing we hear is that from 4:30-6am there are a flush of sightings of vehicles that could be Thomas's vehicle caught on cctv around town.; driver never identified Now why would that be. Did someone know what was happening and just waited 'until the coast was clear'.

This is a town with secrets.

Last edited:
Thanks so much JB. The old emoticons aren't here anymore, or I'd send you a tins of cupcakes...

At 54:43 into this podcast....
\\Thomas Brown: Seeds Of Doubt | Free Podcasts | Podomatic"

I can sure understand your frustration JB. I skipped until I got what I was looking for - around the 54minute mark.
1 - the phone call was made to the LE dispatcher direct, not a 911 call. Mom says 2:15am is when she made the call. She left the house 2:15-2:20am after her calls (including one to KK's mom).
2. Deputy Pine Gregory responded 45 minutes after receiving notification. HOWEVER... he did not respond until 3:45-3:50am.

That's where I jump in and ask what happened in that time interval. Did dispatch hold back the call to the deputy for 45minutes (and then he didn't respond for a further 45minutes). Was dispatch unable to raise the deputy? I believe there were no other dockets that night... (forget which link that was in). What the heck....

I'm pro LE as we all are in here, however to learn that this deputy is still on staff today, I just shake my head. Did this missing time period not ever get explained in the public arena?

Next step... there's no sign of Thomas anywhere (it's not a big town) and so the searchers go home to regroup.
Next thing we hear is that from 4:30-6am there are a flush of sightings of vehicles that could be Thomas's vehicle caught on cctv around town.; driver never identified Now why would that be. Did someone know what was happening and just waited 'until the coast was clear'.

This is a town with secrets.

HOLY CRAP. You are right about the timeline. I've listened and made notes but never noticed that. Interesting....! I am going to have to think on this. GOSH I wish Penny was a verified poster so we could get some correct times from her! Penny, if you are here and I don't know it, feel free to send me correct times!

(Also, I just realized I have totally been screwing up Deputy Gregory's name! LOL OOPS!)

Last edited:
Here's a link that you can see what I have on my timeline. If there is more that needs to be added or changed, add it or let me know.

Google Sheets - create and edit spreadsheets online, for free.
I am so sorry to bother you, jellybean96 ...:

When I try to open the file in the Google Sheets app, it says, “Ask the owner for access, or switch to an account with permission” (I am signed in to my Google account).

I tried it in browser, too (Safari), and got the same result.

I really would like to take a look at what you came up with, and wanted to give you a heads-up.

I'm just trying to sort this out in my head.

Who would want to hurt this young man? Could it have been an alcohol overdose, or a drug overdose?

From the sounds of it perhaps TB met up with "friends" after he got gas. (After leaving the 3 friends he'd been driving around with earlier). Did he then go to the Lake where kids were partying? Did something happen there?

The timeline is very strange. Hard to believe it took the deputy so long to get out and investigate.

Also, TB's truck was possibly seen via cctv driving around between 4:30 and 6:00am. If it was someone driving his truck other than TB, why? (Well, maybe because they were trying to decide what to do with his truck?) Was anyone else seen driving around at that time?

And say it was an accident....why would anyone choose to live with this lie hanging over their heads? Why not come clean and speak?! How many are involved? How can they all stay quiet?!

Would one of these schoolmates have knowingly murdered TB? I find that so hard to grasp.

Why did the students PK interviewed keep telling him that TB was out there somewhere. How did they know? And what else did/do they know?!

And why is it the dogs followed TB's scent from his truck (where it was ultimately found parked) to the edge of the Canadian River?

I am so sorry to bother you, jellybean96 ...:

When I try to open the file in the Google Sheets app, it says, “Ask the owner for access, or switch to an account with permission” (I am signed in to my Google account).

I tried it in browser, too (Safari), and got the same result.

I really would like to take a look at what you came up with, and wanted to give you a heads-up.

Ha. Let me try that again! I've changed settings so this should work now.

Thomas Brown Time Line

I'm just trying to sort this out in my head.

Who would want to hurt this young man? Could it have been an alcohol overdose, or a drug overdose?

From the sounds of it perhaps TB met up with "friends" after he got gas. (After leaving the 3 friends he'd been driving around with earlier). Did he then go to the Lake where kids were partying? Did something happen there?

The timeline is very strange. Hard to believe it took the deputy so long to get out and investigate.

Also, TB's truck was possibly seen via cctv driving around between 4:30 and 6:00am. If it was someone driving his truck other than TB, why? (Well, maybe because they were trying to decide what to do with his truck?) Was anyone else seen driving around at that time?

And say it was an accident....why would anyone choose to live with this lie hanging over their heads? Why not come clean and speak?! How many are involved? How can they all stay quiet?!

Would one of these schoolmates have knowingly murdered TB? I find that so hard to grasp.

Why did the students PK interviewed keep telling him that TB was out there somewhere. How did they know? And what else did/do they know?!

And why is it the dogs followed TB's scent from his truck (where it was ultimately found parked) to the edge of the Canadian River?

Re: accident - since Klein has said it is a murder investigation (and he knew it when he saw Toms body) I am assuming its SOMETHING obvious that caused his death. And then add in the shell casing found...I just don't think it was any sort of accident unless it involved an accident with a gun. But then - WHY didnt they take him to the hospital if it were an accident?

Re: who was out driving - I recall reading that Penny counted something like 4 other SUV type vehicles out driving when they were looking for Thomas. And several marked and unmarked LE vehicles (she knew they were LE because she could see the computer glare in the front seat).

Last edited:
Finally caught up - been off site about 2 wks due to work stuff. JB - thought i lost you then i figured it out! Was hoping to hear cause of death had been released but i guess we're still waiting. I finally listened to the entire 3.5 hr podcast and I too wanted to know more about Michael and what he had to say. Where was the deputy for 1.5 hr-45 mins before he showed up and who was he texting while he was in the car "searching?" Why didn't the sheriff show up until 7 a.m.? It's a small town where everyone knows everyone - he went to church with Penny and her family - why wouldn't someone call him to tell him Tom was missing. In a town this size if a kid goes missing and half the neighborhood is out searching, why was he NOT there? Has anyone ever heard if any forensic evidence - fingerprints, hairs, footprints, whatever - was ever recovered from Tom's truck? I know that part was screwed up from the beginning, but when they searched it later did they find anything? I have so many questions.

Finally caught up - been off site about 2 wks due to work stuff. JB - thought i lost you then i figured it out! Was hoping to hear cause of death had been released but i guess we're still waiting. I finally listened to the entire 3.5 hr podcast and I too wanted to know more about Michael and what he had to say. Where was the deputy for 1.5 hr-45 mins before he showed up and who was he texting while he was in the car "searching?" Why didn't the sheriff show up until 7 a.m.? It's a small town where everyone knows everyone - he went to church with Penny and her family - why wouldn't someone call him to tell him Tom was missing. In a town this size if a kid goes missing and half the neighborhood is out searching, why was he NOT there? Has anyone ever heard if any forensic evidence - fingerprints, hairs, footprints, whatever - was ever recovered from Tom's truck? I know that part was screwed up from the beginning, but when they searched it later did they find anything? I have so many questions.

Im still here :) Had a name change so I wasn't so easily identified by people from real life. LOL

Still no cause of death. I am not surprised - IF that information is already available I dont think LE will release it to the public because of it being key evidence that could be used to solve this crime.

As far as I know (and I read, a lot, about this case) no forensic evidence has been released for anything. If I recall correctly, Penny said LE fingerprinted Toms car once it was already back in their possession. Which, IMHO, means they probably won't have credible finger prints because anyone could have touched the car once it was back in the family's possession.

I also recall hearing in one of the podcasts that no test was done on the urine that was found at the back of Toms truck. For funsies, I tried researching if it would be possible to determine who's urine it was and apparently, yes, they could have gotten a 'hit' to compare DNA too. I don't understand the ins and outs, but apparently it is possible.

All the questions about LE and where they were, who they were talking to...well, I have no answers.

Would Police have thought this was a bit of overreaction on Tom's family's part? Thinking perhaps that, TB's a young man, no school the next day, kids are home for the holidays....he's just out having a good time...and underplayed the urgency?

Would Police have thought this was a bit of overreaction on Tom's family's part? Thinking perhaps that, TB's a young man, no school the next day, kids are home for the holidays....he's just out having a good time...and underplayed the urgency?

LE has down played this since the first minuet that it was known Thomas was missing. They said he ran away. They said suicide. They said he was gay and ran off with an old man.

This podcast goes into the circles LE has been running since the minuet the initial missing report was made. Thomas Brown: Seeds Of Doubt from UnFound--A Missing Persons Program

I have often wondered this, but from the other end. I realize he had never missed curfew, but it does seem like his family was very alarmed, almost immediately. I think many parents would have waited a few more hours or possibly even until morning before searching around town, let alone alerting law enforcement. To have a helicopter in the air at first light is unusual. I don't know that I read anything more into that, but it's always seemed odd, even though I don't think his family was involved in any way with his disappearance/death.

I also think it's strange that the kids were like, "He's definitely at Lake Marvin. Look there." Even though it seems to be a known place for kids to go, there wasn't any indication (publicly, at least) to suggest that he was going there (or anywhere) that night or that anyone else planned to be there. Maybe it's just being overstated now that he's been found, but it seems hinky--like the kids had some more specific reason to suggest that, even if just rumor.

Ha. Let me try that again! I've changed settings so this should work now.

Thomas Brown Time Line
Thanks JB.
Apologies in advance - pedant at the keyboard...
I've noted in the notes (linked) that the trio parted at 11:25pm where Thomas car had been left. So 11:25pm is when Thomas was dropped back his vehicle. Next step - 11:40 pm (15minutes later) Thomas is caught on cctv at Fronks. Rhetorical Q: Was he alone at the gas station, or did the 3 of them all go gas up or the other 2 wait while Thomas gassed up... I ask this because the church cctv has 3 cars passing at 11:42pm - were these 3 cars passing at the same time, or have the 3 events been grouped together as one event 11:42pm (17 minutes after they supposedly separated)?

If it is that the 3 vehicles were caught on the cctv at the same time, then we have a bigger question, answered. The trio had not finished their evening's entertainment. They had not split off to their individual homes to meet possible curfews.

Thanks JB.
I've noted in the notes (linked) that the trio parted at 11:25pm where Thomas car had been left. So 11:25pm is when Thomas was dropped back his vehicle. Next step - 11:40 pm (15minutes later) Thomas is caught on cctv at Fronks. Rhetorical Q: Was he alone at the gas station, or did the 3 of them all go gas up or the other 2 wait while Thomas gassed up... I ask this because the church cctv has 3 cars passing at 11:42pm - were these 3 cars passing at the same time, or have the 3 events been grouped together as one event 11:42pm (17 minutes after they supposedly separated)?

If it is that the 3 vehicles were caught on the cctv at the same time, then we have a bigger question, answered. The trio had not finished their evening's entertainment. They had not split off to their individual homes to meet possible curfews.
But didn't these friends say they all separated at that time? I don't recall anyone saying they planned to go somewhere else.

I have often wondered this, but from the other end. I realize he had never missed curfew, but it does seem like his family was very alarmed, almost immediately. I think many parents would have waited a few more hours or possibly even until morning before searching around town, let alone alerting law enforcement. To have a helicopter in the air at first light is unusual. I don't know that I read anything more into that, but it's always seemed odd, even though I don't think his family was involved in any way with his disappearance/death.

I also think it's strange that the kids were like, "He's definitely at Lake Marvin. Look there." Even though it seems to be a known place for kids to go, there wasn't any indication (publicly, at least) to suggest that he was going there (or anywhere) that night or that anyone else planned to be there. Maybe it's just being overstated now that he's been found, but it seems hinky--like the kids had some more specific reason to suggest that, even if just rumor.

I have thought about this as well. I think its a case of 'if you have the resources readily available, then you use them'. Not sure if you are aware of the general area Thomas went missing from, but its pretty isolated and rural. Lots of miles between things and from the sky, you would be able to to quickly see Thomas' car. Its just wide open country and from the sky, it'd be easier to do a quick search.

People having helicopters isn't necessarily an uncommon thing in this area. Friends of mine out here have a small heli that they use to take to their ranch from their home in Amarillo. Its just quicker to not deal with traffic, construction, and covers the miles easily. Many people/businesses 'go in' on sharing a heli to help offset the cost.

Thinking about if my kids went missing, I would not wait hours to start looking. Being on I-40, someone could have a person and be long gone very quickly. If one wanted to, they could be in two other states within 3 hours.

Someone I loved went missing several years ago and the parents knew immediately something was wrong and didn't wait to call 911. The person who went missing was a good kid and not showing up on time just was not in their character. I don't think its anything unusual to be panicked right away.

Thanks JB.

So I am researching the time line this morning. Its a headache, truly, because there doesn't seem to be one 'set' timeline that everyone agrees on.

I found an article where Penny says her card was swiped at 11:28. This is different than what was said in a few other articles and videos. So I am not sure which time is right.

Article that says card was swiped at 11:28 High school senior Thomas Brown missing from Texas after vanishing over Thanksgiving 2016

Video that says Thomas left gas station at 11:51 and he was alone and not in any sort of distress. Starts talking about timeline with gas station at 7:32 mark.

Snipped from this link: High school senior Thomas Brown missing from Texas after vanishing over Thanksgiving 2016

'Around 2:00 a.m., Penny says she called the homes of the friends Thomas had hung out with that night. One friend did not answer her call, but the others had each made it home that night and were surprised to hear Thomas had not.'

So - does anyone have a verifiable list of who Penny was able to talk to and who didn't answer their phone?

Answering my own question - I know she talked to Kaleb (via Kalebs mom). Tucker and Deputy Gregory went to Sage's house to look.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member