GUILTY South Africa - Susan Rohde, 47, murdered, Stellenbosch, 24 July 2016 - #2

Sentencing proceedings of wife killer Jason Rohde resume
2019-02-18 07:13

fe878931ba374528a6f0a49ca4502f20.jpg

Jason Rohde. (Jenni Evans, News24)

Multimedia · User Galleries · News in PicturesSend us your pictures · Send us your stories

Sentencing proceedings of property expert Jason Rohde, who was convicted of the murder of his wife Susan, will resume in the Western Cape High Court on Monday.

On November 8, 2018, Judge Gayaat Salie-Hlophe also found Rohde guilty of obstructing the ends of justice.

"The State has proven its case beyond reasonable doubt.
"This court finds that the accused staged the suicide and had the direct intention to kill," she said during her judgment which took almost two hours.

#Rohde Jason, who sports a new haircut, greeted his mom Brenda as he was led to the dock. She is sitting near him. Jason keeps his head down in court. @TeamNews24

DzrFbpQWoAABU_B.jpg

Reactions: Hag

1. Jenna Etheridge‏ @JennaEtheridge 4m4 minutes ago
    #Rohde Defence lawyer Graham van der Spuy (VDS) says that at last appearance, he had wanted to call Jason's daughter but she was reluctant. He then said she should stand down "and re-assess in the cold light of day". @TeamNews24
  2. #Rohde VDS: He has since consulted Rohde's daughter Kathryn. "She has indicated that she feels too intimidated by the fact that she will be broadcast live". In addition, she locked herself out of house and fell off wall trying to get in, suffering fractures. @TeamNews24

#Rohde VDS to call three witnesses in mitigation of sentence. The first is David Livingstone, an attorney who is testifying as a friend of the accused. @TeamNews24

#Rohde Livingstone: I am aware of Jason's conviction but the purpose today is to testify about his character. I met Jason at our daughters' school in 2015. We have become very close friends. @TeamNews24
I saw Jason as a very present, active and supportive father to his children. Very involved in their day-to-day lives and also very involved in fundraising activities. He sent his three girls on overseas trips and was very supportive of them. @TeamNews24

#Rohde VDS to call three witnesses in mitigation of sentence. The first is David Livingstone, an attorney who is testifying as a friend of the accused. @TeamNews24

#Rohde Livingstone: I am aware of Jason's conviction but the purpose today is to testify about his character. I met Jason at our daughters' school in 2015. We have become very close friends. @TeamNews24
I saw Jason as a very present, active and supportive father to his children. Very involved in their day-to-day lives and also very involved in fundraising activities. He sent his three girls on overseas trips and was very supportive of them. @TeamNews24
Livingstone says Jason has been his daughters' sole provider. He describes him as a kind, caring and supportive friend who cared not only about himself but others too. He said he paid for a two-week holiday for a disadvantaged orphan girl to Plett. @TeamNews24

morning all, sorry I'm late. His mum has just started

Relevance of this testimony?
Wasting time. I think I just heard the judge exhale quite loudly through her nose, I can picture her rolling her eyes too :D (could have been someone else but I like to imagine it was her)

Why is van der Spuy wasting the court's time? He's already incurred the wrath of the judge enough times in the past. If he had such a good upbringing and education he ought to have known better.

I suppose a mother has to do this, but embarrassing all the same after his conviction.

Tea break 15 minutes.

She was just going to start talking about their marriage.

Livingstone: "He always treated me the same and always had a very calm, caring individual. And as a friend, a very loyal friend to me. I have never heard him say a bad word about anyone." Said Jason was extremely intelligent and a great businessman.

Livingstone says Jason never showed misogynistic attitude, socially inappropriate behaviour or violence. He asks the court to be fair in sentencing, consider effect on daughters and show empathy for all Jason has done for society.

Under cross-exam, prosecutor Louis van Niekerk highlights that Livingstone never knew about Jason's affair. He also said Susan instigated charitable holiday for orphan girl. He says Livingstone didn't actually know Jason well. Witness disagrees. He is excused.

The next witness is Craig Fleischer. He wants the court to know he was also a friend of Susan's. "I met Jason 20 years ago on the golf course. We became very good friends after that... he's my best mate".

Fleischer: He has been an incredible friend. Since Susan's passing, I became very close to him because I used to commute to JHB and stay with him. Over those dark, dark times I became very close. We spent hours and hours talking about this whole situation.

Fleischer: You can tell character of person within first 9 holes of golf course. You will know if they are misbehaving or cheating. I picked up only the best about Jason. Never argued with him. Never seen him argue or raise his voice. He has always helped me.

Fleischer: The 18 months I spent with Jason in their beautiful Bryanston home, I met their domestic worker Lucy. I used to call her Gogo. She looked after us and she was an incredible person. Also met her granddaughter. They were part of the family.

Fleischer: Lucy's granddaughter is now finishing her masters in Public Administration at Unisa thanks to the Rohde family.

Fleischer: "I just hope and pray that with all catastrophic stuff happening in SA at the moment, with Eskom and state capture... that the right decision and right sentencing be issued to our friend Jason. I know eventually the right thing will happen".

Fleischer: Jason "has kept strong through this whole ordeal because of his daughters".

Under cross-exam, LVN points out that Fleischer didn't know a lot of things about Jason. He replies: "A lot of surprises came out through the press etc... the one thing I did not do was discuss case and merits during my time with him in Bryanston."

Fleischer is excused from the stand. The next witness is Jason's mother Brenda. VDS says he realises this is not an easy situation for her to be in.

Team News24 (@TeamNews24) | Twitter

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wrensparrow
Back