PA PA - Philadelphia, Schuylkill River, WhtFem 30-60, UP16623, Fur Hat, Lord & Taylor Skirt, Mar'68

madamx

Reaction score
Original

Unidentified Person / NamUs #UP16623 Female, White / Caucasian
Date Found March 20, 1968
Location Found Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Estimated Age Range 30-60 Years

Hair Color Black
Head Hair Description: black-grey long hair

Left Eye Color Unknown or Missing
Right Eye Color Unknown or Missing

Sex Female
Race / EthnicityWhite / Caucasian

Estimated Age Range (Years) 30-60
Estimated Year of Death 1968
Estimated PMI Days
Height 5' 2"(62 inches) , Estimated
Weight 115 lbs, Estimated

Circumstances
Type Unidentified Deceased
Date Found March 20, 1968

Location Found Map
Street Address Schuylkill River Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
County Philadelphia County

Circumstances of Recovery:
Found 50 feet west of Penrose Ave. in Schuylkill River near oil refinery.

clothing and Accessories
Item
Description
Clothing
socks and stockings,
walking suit,
2 sweaters,
polo type shirt,
fir hat.
Skirt from Lord and Taylor,
Labels: Deloux, Knitmaster & Dele. Size 10
On the Body

Footwear
Black chucka boots
On the Body

Jewelry
Timex Wrist Watch, white metal # 50102366

Unidentified Person Case

The Lost & The Found

Mary Arcuri

Original

Original

Date last seen Oct. 1, 1964
Age last seen 34 to 35 years old
Sex Female
Race White
Ethnicity Unsure
Nickname/Alias
Circumstances: Mary was reported to have run off with another man.

City last seen Pittsburgh
County last seen Allegheny
State last seen Pennsylvania

Weight 125 to 130 lbs
Height 64 to 66 inches
Hair color Brown

Left eye color Brown
Right eye color Brown

https://lostandfound.revealnews.org...&unidentifiedperson=16623&missingperson=25211

Original

Edna Kaminski
Date last seen Aug. 1, 1944
Age last seen 23 years old
Sex Female
Race White
Ethnicity Unsure
Nickname/Alias
Circumstances: Last seen by family in August 1944 when she left house she shared with husband and 20 month old daughter.

City last seen Maspeth
County last seen Queens
State last seen New York
Physical
expand.png

Weight 130 to 150 lbs
Height 66 to 68 inches
Hair color Brown

The Lost & The Found

Mary Arcuri

Original

Original

Sex Female
Race White
Ethnicity Unsure
Nickname/Alias

Weight 125 to 130 lbs
Height 64 to 66 inches
Hair color Brown

Left eye color Brown
Right eye color Brown

I've been champing at the bit for almost 11 months waiting for DNA results between Mary and Unidentified Person Case

The house where the skeletal remains were found is the same house that Mary, her husband and their kids lived in.

I've been champing at the bit for almost 11 months waiting for DNA results between Mary and Unidentified Person Case

The house where the skeletal remains were found is the same house that Mary, her husband and their kids lived in.

OMG.. Yeah your right that has to be her!.. they found the remains in 2018.. I had not even heard about this.. I wonder if her kids know..Did they just sell the house?..omg I am all of a sudden sucked in!

The house has changed hands 3 times since 2015 according to the Allegheny County Assessment website. That's as far back as it goes. Anything further would require a deed search at the Dept of Real Estate (not online). There's also the possibility that they were renting, not owners, so they may not show up on a deed search.

Lorraine Judith Chance

It may be a long shot if you consider Lorraine disappeared 20 years before this woman's body was found. Although, 20 years age would put Lorraine at 45 years old. That's right in the middle of the estimated age range of the unidentified. Chance lived in California, but if she had vanished on her own accord it's possible she may have relocated far away. Did she start a new life and not want anyone to know her true identity? The height is a few inches off but I know missing persons reports can be off, especially older ones and she may have gained some weight in the 20 yrs since she had been off the radar. The only reason I bring it up is because Lorraine and the deceased have almost identical noses. Distinctive ones too. I don't see many people with that nose shape. I've included a comparison. Sorry that the photo of Lorraine is so grainy. I was working with an old photograph to begin with and then attempted to straighten it as she was looking down and not straight ahead in the original. I still think you can see a resemblance albeit a possible 20 year dfference. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• IMG_20190125_184700.jpg
    IMG_20190125_184700.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 45
Lorraine Judith Chance

It may be a long shot if you consider Lorraine disappeared 20 years before this woman's body was found. Although, 20 years age would put Lorraine at 45 years old. That's right in the middle of the estimated age range of the unidentified. Chance lived in California, but if she had vanished on her own accord it's possible she may have relocated far away. Did she start a new life and not want anyone to know her true identity? The height is a few inches off but I know missing persons reports can be off, especially older ones and she may have gained some weight in the 20 yrs since she had been off the radar. The only reason I bring it up is because Lorraine and the deceased have almost identical noses. Distinctive ones too. I don't see many people with that nose shape. I've included a comparison. Sorry that the photo of Lorraine is so grainy. I was working with an old photograph to begin with and then attempted to straighten it as she was looking down and not straight ahead in the original. I still think you can see a resemblance albeit a possible 20 year dfference. Let me know what you think.

I totally see the nose resemblance in Lorraine! That is why I also looked at Edna.. The nose on the UID is something that stands out.

I wish they had better sketches of the UID..or even a post mortem... the sketch with the hat looks like such a strange cartoon.

Has Anna Francis Leatherwood been considered as a match to UP16623? I briefly read back through posts but didn't see her name mentioned. So, here she is awaiting your review. Your comments are appreciated. TIA

#
UID's NamUs page - The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Anna Francis Leatherwood - 45yo

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
NamUs# 13801 - Cold Case Unit reference number

Female, White / Caucasian
Date of Last Contact May 20, 1966
Missing From. Seiverville, TN
Missing Age 45 Years
Current Age

Height 5' 0" - 5' 3" (60 - 63 Inches)
Weight 155 - 165 lbs
Hair. Gray or Partially Gray
Head Hair Description - Deep dark brown with gray mixed in. Salt and pepper.
Eyes blue; wore glasses.
scar on lower abdomen
Clothing - Was wearing a house gown the last time that she was seen. Thin white color.

Circumstances notes - Cold Case Unit will use the NamUs# 13801 as a report number. Reference this number for any questions.
Didn't drive, didn't have a driver's License.

Original

Original

Original

#

Anna disappeared from Seiverville, TN in 1966. Supposedly she was dressed in a gown when last seen but the the stated circumstances surrounding her disappearance don't explain how long after she was last seen that she disappeared. It's possible she dressed in street clothes before leaving.

A theory is that she simply could have walked away from home and family in order to start anew, chase a dream, run off with a secret lover, or go on a spur-of-the-moment solo trip for sight-seeing and shopping. Whatever theory you choose, agree with, or think of yourself the fact is that she would have ended up in PA or any where else on Earth. Philly is a major tourist attraction/vacay destination given its historical and political appeal, amongst other things, to some folks. Maybe Ms. Leatherwood was the type of person who independently went off to travel. I have not found any reports/rumors that suggest this or any other scenario or personality information actually.

Their visual similarities are strinking to me. Maybe it's just the way the sketch is so heavy on the brows and Anna has on the black glasses. Anna's first pic posted above is/was an immediate "no" to me but once i saw her other pics I was instantly convinced of a potential match. She seems so prim and proper in these pics and even UID has that same appeal or vibe if you will, imo. The description of UID16623's clothing and accessories when found suggests a lady who had a sense of style about her. Perhaps she was out shopping, touring, attending a function of some sort then had an accident or ran into foul play at the hands of someone who meant harm to her. I'm not suggesting how she died or if she was mudered but I am trying to determine how she ended up in a river near a refinery.

The fact that she was found near a refinery does give me pause to wonder though if whomever harmed her had a connection to oilfield/Petro work. Central southern parts of the U.S. made tons of money in the oilfield back in and around those days, some even still today. Who knows if she wasn't the wife, daughter, sister, mistress, friend, enemy, etc. of an oil tycoon, roughneck, truck driver, salesman/woman, etc. Etc. Etc. At first I said to myself "Well, why wouldn't a family connected to money search high and low for her?". The answer is that if the theory of her walking away voluntarily holds, they may not have cared or even known she then went missing after leaving them in TN. Her new aquaintances may not have known her family or even her past. Moreover, maybe she made her momey after walking away from home, be it a home well-off or not so much. Either way, she'd be considered a "missing missing person".

The cases we work on are often strange and hardly ever cut & dry! Imo, our attempt here is to use the clues given to determine plausible explanations for why, beyond physical matches and similarities, we think this is a potential match. We're not necessarily trying to solve a mystery or crime. Hopefully we can do that but we'll need to find in Ms. Anna's story I proposed the holes or poke holes in it to see if the theory can stand on its merits. Help! :D

The Lost & The Found

Mary Arcuri

Original

Original

Sex Female
Race White
Ethnicity Unsure
Nickname/Alias

Weight 125 to 130 lbs
Height 64 to 66 inches
Hair color Brown

Left eye color Brown
Right eye color Brown

OMG.. Yeah your right that has to be her!.. they found the remains in 2018.. I had not even heard about this.. I wonder if her kids know..Did they just sell the house?..omg I am all of a sudden sucked in!

The house has changed hands 3 times since 2015 according to the Allegheny County Assessment website. That's as far back as it goes. Anything further would require a deed search at the Dept of Real Estate (not online). There's also the possibility that they were renting, not owners, so they may not show up on a deed search.

I had her in my sights too until I read all of this important and amazing info. Have they id'd the UID found in Mary's old house? So exciting! I can't wait to read the follow ups!

https://lostandfound.revealnews.org/?sex=Female&state=New+York&ordering=Sort+results+by:&age=0+-+100&start_date=01/01/1900&end_date=12/31/1968&unidentifiedperson=16623&missingperson=25211

Original

Edna Kaminski
Sex Female
Race White
Ethnicity Unsure
Nickname/Alias
Circumstances: Last seen by family in August 1944 when she left house she shared with husband and 20 month old daughter.

City last seen Maspeth
County last seen Queens
State last seen New York
Physical
expand.png

Weight 130 to 150 lbs
Height 66 to 68 inches
Hair color Brown

I hadn't run across Edna prior to reading your post. She certainly has that nose! I'm squirmish about that 20-year lapse but you make a very good point about running off and growing older. I suppose of those who run off to recreate themselves, most do probably survive for a substantial amount of time. She's a good prospect for sure being that she's from the Philly area, as opposed to Ms. Anna who is from TN. I'd go for it if I were you. ;)

https://lostandfound.revealnews.org/?sex=Female&state=New+York&ordering=Sort+results+by:&age=0+-+100&start_date=01/01/1900&end_date=12/31/1968&unidentifiedperson=16623&missingperson=25211

Original

Edna Kaminski
Sex Female
Race White
Ethnicity Unsure
Nickname/Alias

City last seen Maspeth
County last seen Queens
State last seen New York
Physical
expand.png

Weight 130 to 150 lbs
Height 66 to 68 inches
Hair color Brown

?

Darlene DeWolff Polizzi | www.youcansolvethiscoldcase.com
Darlene has reddish brown hair and brown eyes, a small female at 5’ 3” and weighing 100 pounds

Oh I never even heard of this woman before.. Good Find~

The Doe Network: Case File 1544DFNJ

Darlene Polizzi – The Charley Project

Open wounds: Mysterious killings of teen girls in New Jersey remain unsolved after 50 years

#

I think I read her profile on NamUs or Doe before but hadn't in reference to this UID. She's a good potential as well. Wow. You know they say we all have a twin somewhere...that is glaringly obvious when we start comparing MPs and UID's, isn't it?

Good eye finding Darlene!

I had her in my sights too until I read all of this important and amazing info. Have they id'd the UID found in Mary's old house? So exciting! I can't wait to read the follow ups!

No, they haven't yet verified that the remains at Mary's former home are hers but it's only been a year, or will be at the end of this month, since the bones were found. They'd have to get DNA from Mary's kids/relatives but that might not be the hard part. The woman was buried in the yard for 54 years. I'm hoping the remains aren't too degraded to retrieve DNA from.

I can imagine the wait is so excruciating for her family. Hopefully this will help put to end years of questions and wonder. Thanks for the update!

I was looking to find information if there was a Lord & Taylor store in Philly in 1967-1968.. I have not found any. I know the original one was in NYC.. so unless they had Lord & Taylors elsewhere the skirt would have had to have come from NYC.

https:///forum/data/attachments/27/27553-4c1d8f767465090c42e6e7823d28a726.jpg

Maria Ruthling went missing in 1965 it also states in the article below that she was born in NY.. I was thinking the Lord and Taylor skirt connection and she has long dark hair and seems to wear long skirts..the article says she was 57 but other articles say 50 and others say 49 so I don't know.. But anyway wanted to post her because she has the long hair and the nose is similar.
Scottsdale Progress Archives, Oct 16, 1970, p. 24

AZ - AZ - Maria Ruthling, 49, Scottsdale, 23 Sept 1965

I was looking to find information if there was a Lord & Taylor store in Philly in 1967-1968.. I have not found any. I know the original one was in NYC.. so unless they had Lord & Taylors elsewhere the skirt would have had to have come from NYC.

There were two Lord & Taylor stores that I found in the Philly area, in Bala Cynwyd and Jenkintown. The pic is a want ad from '67 but I found ads back to '63 so the stores weren't new at the time the UID was found.

Google map of stores locations: Google Maps

Attachments

• Lord & Taylor ad 11-5-67.JPG
    Lord & Taylor ad 11-5-67.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 10

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads