CO CO - Kelsey Berreth, 29, Woodland Park, Teller County, 22 Nov 2018 - #39 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sam Kraemer on Twitter
LOOKING AHEAD: Patrick Frazee is due in court tomorrow for a preliminary hearing. We should learn what evidence prosecutors have against him. Frazee could enter a plea. Here's a preview & look back at the timeline. #PatrickFrazee #KelseyBerreth @KOAA

Patrick Frazee due in court for preliminary hearing Tuesday
The man suspected in the presumed murder of missing Woodland Park mother Kelsey Berreth is due in court Tuesday.

Tuesday’s hearing is a preliminary hearing, essentially deciding whether the case will head to a trial. Prosecutors will present the evidence they have against Frazee to establish probable cause — evidence that has been under seal since his arrest. The defense has the chance to challenge the case against Frazee.

Frazee, Berreth’s fiancé, could also enter a plea at the hearing. Prosecutors have said the evidence should against him should also be released Tuesday.
OT but I am so lucky my manager is away this week so I can stare at my phone all day and still have a job.

Hi all! Long time lurker, first time poster. I live in Colorado Springs and this case has my attention! There’s not been much regarding the case by way of our local news so I like to read all of the wonderful sluthers thoughts and posts when I can. Regarding Thanksgiving, I assume he didn’t go to have a meal at Cracker Barrel with KB but I do know that Cracker Barel was one of the few restaurants open that day and the served traditional turkey dinner. I imagine the few restaurants that are in Woodland Park were closesd. Just my two cents. & JMO
Welcome

Hmmm. Well, we will probably never know for sure. But she was likely off work for the whole Thanksgiving weekend, so there were other days to make that recipe IF she was going out to dinner.

BTW: Pua for short, not Kap. It's my Hawaiian name, meaning the flower. Ka = the Pua = flower.
the things you learn :)

Exactly. When you are taking a murder into custody, especially with a baby in the picture, you take no chances.

That’s likely why they initiated the arrest when he was away from the house, and in a vehicle.

I wouldn’t be surprised if mommy was not happy with the situation, or they feared that she wouldn’t respond well.

Handcuffs alleviate that issue.
In every episode of Live PD, just sayin.

I've snipped this long article down to the new info. Please click link to read entire article in context.

Prosecutors expected to explain why they believe Patrick Frazee was responsible for Kelsey Berreth's death
“Preliminary hearings are designed to weed out a weak case,” 9NEWS legal expert Scott Robinson said. “So, the prosecution needs to put on evidence, but just enough to show there is probable cause for the charges."

“And for the defense, it’s an opportunity to find out everything they can about the prosecution’s case that might not have been revealed in the police reports, the discovery.”

It's unclear if Krystal Kenney will testify at the preliminary hearing. Earlier this month, the 32-year-old Idaho nurse pleaded guilty to one count of tampering with physical evidence in regards to Berreth’s disappearance and said she will testify against Frazee.

District Attorney Dan May said he could not comment on the current location of Berreth’s phone. Previously, police said that her phone pinged in Gooding, Idaho on Nov. 25. That same day, Berreth’s employer received a text from that number saying she wouldn’t be at her job as a flight instructor the ensuing week.

“At this point, authorities have not found the body of Kelsey Berreth,” Robinson said. “And that’s expected to be the only weakness in the prosecution’s case unless they can explain why the absence of a corpse doesn’t matter in the context of this case.”

“The preliminary hearing will reveal for the first time three critical areas,” Robinson said. “No. 1: why are the police convinced that Kelsey Berreth is dead and that she was killed in her own home? No. 2: who did Patrick Frazee allegedly solicit to kill his fiancée and did that individual commit the actual homicide or was it Frazee himself?

“And finally, what connection – other than the disposal of the phone and the use of it to put authorities off from the scent – did the nurse from Idaho, Krystal Kenney – what was her role?”

Robinson also said the preliminary hearing could reveal how Kenney knew Frazee or Berreth.

The other night I watched an episode of Dateline called “Finding Venus” (I noted the episode information somewhere). That case reminded me very much of both CW and PF. In fact at 20:00 into the episode the perp makes a comment which is chillingly virtually identical to one CW made.

Anyway, the perp in the Dateline episode murdered his wife over a custody battle. He also had someone help him by actually physically posing as him in order to present a (fake) alibi. This friend was able to plead to a lesser charge in return for his testimony against the defendant. The victim’s brother commented on how this person had the power to prevent this, to call the cops when he knew this was going to go down so he was disappointed with the sentence.

ETA:
Dateline NBC
S27 E17
Finding Venus
Aired 1/20/2019

(On another note and o/t, my friend is about to go through what I anticipate to be messy and potentially dangerous divorce here in CO. There are custody and financial issues. She wants full custody and doesn’t want to have to pay him alimony. She has a great job and is a great mother and he is an unemployed meth addict living in some meth apartment. She didn’t get a good feeling from the attorney with whom she consulted and who talked about CO being a 50/50 State. I’m trying to learn some technicalities of CO divorce law so I can help her better and help find her another attorney because imo she should not have to pay this loser alimony nor have a lawyer who she feels is not really fighting for her and I was thinking today about how you guys here probably already know all this stuff about CO Divorce Law that I’m trying to learn myself now.)

Last edited:
OT but I am so lucky my manager is away this week so I can stare at my phone all day and still have a job.
OT, I have been off since Wednesday and will have a lot of work to do tomorrow. But I plan to get in early. Can't wait to see what evidence they have that was convincing enough for LE to file charges without a body.

I think that CB knew that every time he opened his pie-hole, it was a bold-faced lie. She's one tough lady to stand up at that original presser with a poker face because of PF. My heart still weeps for her. Saying a prayer for KB's family tonight before bed.
I speculate the phone conversations with PF and CB: She was talking to a different PF than she had ever spoken to before . I think that was a big red flag that led to many flags he was waving.

The other night I watched an episode of Dateline called “Finding Venus” (I noted the episode information somewhere). That case reminded me very much of both CW and PF.

The perp in the Dateline episode murdered his wife over a custody battle. He has also had someone help him by actually physically posing as him in order to present a (fake) alibi, knowing the murder was about to ensue. This friend was able to plead to a lesser charge in return for his testimony against the defendant. The victim’s brother commented on how this person had the power to prevent this, to call the cops when he knew this was going to go down.

(On another note and o/t, my friend is about to go through what I anticipate to be messy and maybe even dangerous divorce here in CO. There are custody issues. I’m trying to learn the technicalities of CO divorce law so I can help her better and I was thinking today how you guys here probably already know all this.)
Yep, that was the guy that finally led LE to his ex wife's body...in exchange for an XBOX in prison. Jesus, Mary and Joseph.

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

If PF had any hope of ever having a relationship with his baby girl, say when she turns 18 and may want to see him at some point , he would plead and come clean with everything. IMO a 18 yoa Daughter asking you "where is my Mother"? would be scarier than facing a jury and a prison sentence.
No! I do not think he ever deserves one minute of her time, but it could happen down the road.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cracker Barrel has already confirmed they are cooperating with the authorities on the investigation. We won't need to speculate here.

No doubt CB long ago provided WPPD/LE every detail of her conversations with PF, including his claim that the couple allegedly met at Cracker Barrel on Thanksgiving. Again, I think prosecutors have this detail by now.

Feb 16, 2019

Frazee allegedly told Cheryl that he and Kelsey had broken up on Thanksgiving Day and agreed to split custody of their daughter. That same day, Kelsey left Kaylee with Frazee while she “figured out what she was going to do,” according to the phone call documented in the amended complaint.

According to the documents, Frazee told Cheryl Berreth that he met Kelsey on Thanksgiving at a Cracker Barrel restaurant in Colorado Springs.

“We are fully cooperating with the authorities on their investigation at this time,” Cracker Barrel spokeswoman Breeanna Straessle told ABC News late Friday night. bbm

KELSEY BERRETH MURDER MOTIVE: Possible motive for missing Colorado mom's murder surfaces in new documents

Just to note some things I have seen up thread. Sonic has never said that they were working with investigators nor has any media followed up on such. Considered still a rumor?

OT, I have been off since Wednesday and will have a lot of work to do tomorrow. But I plan to get in early. Can't wait to see what evidence they have that was convincing enough for LE to file charges without a body.

Yeah, in Venus’ case there was so much evidence it was a very easy case to prosecute without a body, the jury only took three hours to deliver a guilty verdict. There was a fingerprint on a piece of a tarp packaging left at the abduction scene and an incriminating receipt in his vehicle from the Walmart with surveillance footage of him buying supplies (shovel, tarp, gloves...he even asked the Walmart employee for lime—did you see how absolutely terrrrrfied she was having to point him out in the courtroom!?) —Anyway, my point is that in addition to the physical evidence in that case without a body, the DA iirc stated that the “Star Witness” still heavily impacted the strength of their case and that he was invaluable to the prosecution.

Last edited:
Before tomorrow gets too crazy, I'm posting this pic again bc I think it is the most lovely thing I've seen in this case:

7992014-6550111-Custody_of_the_14_month_old_baby_was_granted_to_the_parents_of_K-a-13_1546478119920.jpg

I luv this photo so much......it’s such a treasure for KB’s family. Baby K has the cutest, daintiest little nose. And those chubby cheeks...I want to just scoop her up in my arms and cover those adorable cheeks with kisses.

Just to note some things I have seen up thread. Sonic has never said that they were working with investigators nor has any media followed up on such. Considered still a rumor?

If I remember correctly, the only reason "Sonic" came into play was because the manager and/or an employee allegedly sold information to Radar On Line about a possible transaction by KK driving a black SUV at carry out window.

I don't recall LE confirming this information, and did not see it reported anywhere else except the approved tabloid.

To my knowledge, only spokespersons for Safeway, Midland Landfill, and now Cracker Barrel have publicly confirmed they are cooperating with authorities in this investigation.

KK has already admitted she moved the phone to Idaho.

IMO, Sonic remains a "rumor" of limited value.

Exactly. When you are taking a murder into custody, especially with a baby in the picture, you take no chances.

That’s likely why they initiated the arrest when he was away from the house, and in a vehicle.

I wouldn’t be surprised if mommy was not happy with the situation, or they feared that she wouldn’t respond well.

Handcuffs alleviate that issue.
Plus they were taking the baby away from the Frazee’s and taking her into CPS custody pending transfer to B’s. IMO this is situation where LE needed to ensure LE and baby’s safety. If PF was ok with killing baby’s mother, I am sure he would have no issues taking out LE or baby to “make” his point.

Before tomorrow gets too crazy, I'm posting this pic again bc I think it is the most lovely thing I've seen in this case:

7992014-6550111-Custody_of_the_14_month_old_baby_was_granted_to_the_parents_of_K-a-13_1546478119920.jpg

When I look at this picture, it makes me so happy and relieved that this baby is home with this grandma. CB looks so much like KB, and they probably sound alike and smell alike and feel alike when they hold their baby girl. I don't think anyone could comfort this baby over the loss of her mommy the way that Grandma B can.

If I remember correctly, the only reason "Sonic" came into play was because the manager and/or an employee allegedly sold information to Radar On Line about a possible transaction by KK driving a black SUV at carry out window.

I don't recall LE confirming this information, and did not see it reported anywhere else except the approved tabloid.

To my knowledge, only spokespersons for Safeway, Midland Landfill, and now Cracker Barrel have publicly confirmed they are cooperating with authorities in this investigation.

KK has already admitted she moved the phone to Idaho.

IMO, Sonic remains a "rumor" of limited value.

Thank you, I will save this Sonic response for if it appears later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member