GUILTY TN - Five juveniles, ages 12-16, charged with killing musician Kyle Yorlets, 24, Nashville, Feb 2019

Ooh, I'm so mad!! As a musician this case hits me in many places. Certainly the loss of a talented young man who was just beginning his life and career, the senseless violence from teens who apparently thought it was a hoot to shoot an unarmed person and even the loss of those teens who could have made other life choices and gone on to become useful, contributing members of society.

But also I weep for the loss of the music we'll never hear from Kyle. There are so many out there with talent, eager to share music, be it original compositions or passing on traditional music to the next generation. We are not Madonna or Beyonce; we have to work hard to eke out a living. Often, like Kyle, musicians work several jobs in order to pay the bills.

Why these snots thought they had a right to steal his wallet and car is beyond my understanding. A pox on them and the people who raised them. To feel that those who work hard to achieve their goals and, heck, just pay the rent, somehow are nothing more than targets to be fleeced... well, IMO they deserve to be removed from society.

Actions have consequences and I hope the justice system sees to it that these kids will never, ever threaten an honest person again. MOO.
A witness saw a group of juveniles approach Nashville musician Kyle Yorlets with a gun just before he was fatally shot, according to the lead detective in the case.

"He actually saw them go up to the victim and saw the gun being held out and heard a shot," Detective Melody Saxon said Thursday during a hearing in juvenile court. After the neighbor ducked down, Saxon said, he heard another shot.
The three suspects, ages 13, 14 and 15, sat in the front row, talking and laughing loud enough that the magistrate eventually said they should leave.
Teens charged in Kyle Yorlets' shooting told to leave courtroom after laughing, talking
More at the link.

These kids are so young to have taken a life. Something went very wrong somewhere, both that night and in their lives. I wonder what transpired before they shot their innocent victim - was it cold-blooded or was it panic (not due to anything their victim did - but due to a group effect, drugs, fear at how far they had taken this)? They need to do serious time, and since they will likely be released in the future, they also need serious rehabilitation before they are sent back out.

Last edited:
These kids are so young to have taken a life. Something went very wrong somewhere, both that night and in their lives. I wonder what transpired before they shot their innocent victim - was it cold-blooded or was it panic (not due to anything their victim did - but due to a group effect, drugs, fear at how far they had taken this)? They need to do serious time, and since they will likely be released in the future, they also need serious rehabilitation before they are sent back out.
IMO I don't think fear was a factor here and yes, IMO it was cold-blooded.
From the hearing:
The suspects talked to each other, laughed and turned around throughout the hearing. At multiple points their lawyers and court staff told them to be quiet.

Toward the end of the hearing, Juvenile Court Magistrate Mike O'Neil told court staff to take the three suspects back to detention because of their behavior.

“I don’t think they’re very interested,” O'Neil said. “They’ve been sitting there like they’ve been sitting on the playground.”
The defense attorney tried to spin it like they are children who were acting like children and who may not appreciate or understand "what has happened" - meaning what they did, which was murder an unarmed person! Passive language doesn't change their behavior for goodness sakes!

And yes, ITA that they should all do serious time. Whether they can be rehabilitated or not lies in the future; in the meantime get them off the streets so they can't murder someone else! MOO.

Ugh. That behavior in court does sound cold and remorseless. I wonder if their parents or caregivers have spoken up or apologized in any way. I haven't seen anything. They need to be held responsible. No way those kids should have been out and up to malice and murder that night.

Yikes!
Police believe a juvenile suspect charged in Nashville musician Kyle Yorlets' shooting death still had a loaded gun after they were taken into custody and left unattended in the back of a patrol car.

Although the juvenile surrendered the gun, tossing it into the front seat of the car before the officer returned, police spokesman Don Aaron acknowledged the incident "could have had an extreme consequence." Aaron said officers received preventative counseling afterward.
My bolding.
Kyle Yorlets shooting: Metro cop left three suspects alone in patrol car with loaded gun

At one point during Saxon's testimony, when she referred to one of the three suspects in the courtroom, the boy responded, softly saying “better not say my name” more than once (from Teens charged in Kyle Yorlets' shooting told to leave courtroom after laughing, talking)

Wow - threatening the detective in court. This kid is hard core and very dangerous.

I wish there was some way to rehabilitate people this young, but there are no real options. Prison it is. Hopefully, they'll learn something positive there, grow out of their stupidity and bad upbringing.

One of the mom's blames her kids actions on the "failure of the system". Typical reaction. Love the picture shown of the kid in junior high.

I just can't....when I was growing up my parents would put the fear of god in me / beat my butt for even talking back or misbehaving. Her rationale is that her other 3 kids aren't like that, so that her parenting isn't to blame. Ugh.

Mother of juvenile in musician shooting says it's a failure of system

One of the mom's blames her kids actions on the "failure of the system". Typical reaction. Love the picture shown of the kid in junior high.

I just can't....when I was growing up my parents would put the fear of god in me / beat my butt for even talking back or misbehaving. Her rationale is that her other 3 kids aren't like that, so that her parenting isn't to blame. Ugh.

Well, at least the mom and step-dad did try to reach out for help. It sounds like they needed some family counseling long before things got so bad. Most young boys need a good, consistent, daily relationship with their father or other male father-figure. Once they reach adolescence it's hard to change them. Peer pressure from bad kids is also a big factor, very difficult to control. Early intervention is key in these situations and it sounds like they waited until it was too late to seek help.

From your link:
They say he's like a normal teenager. He would get in trouble for small things, and has run away before because he wanted to do whatever he wanted to do.
Then his mother goes on to say how the system failed because they wouldn't put her son in jail/juvenile to teach him a lesson so now he thinks he can get away with anything.

Hey, I get how difficult it can be to raise a kid and I get that parents aren't 100% to blame when their kid goes wrong. The time to make changes was when the boy was 10 years younger. What she needed from the system was counseling for herself on how to deal with her son's misbehavior. Kids don't run away from home without a reason. MOO.

Anyway, her wish will now come true; her son will certainly spend time in jail.

I've seen desperate parents who are trying to help their kids choose the right path, and it's true that you can have a rebel amongst other good kids in a family. It's really sad, when you try and try but can't unlock your child's better nature. And it's also true that social services can only help you so much. I do think some folks are destined for trouble, but I wish he had gotten some sort of family counseling earlier. Now he's done real damage to more than just himself and his family, and at such a young age. Praying that his (likely) time in prison will change him for the better and that he learns a useful trade.

We can only hope these wayward kids are charged as adults & relocate straight from juvie to the big house on their 18 bday.
I also wonder if they have previous brushes with the law or did they come out of the gate ready to murder?

Is there indication that it is a hate crime, rather than a crime of opportunity? And is the hate crime based on the race of the victim and offenders, or a different reason (such as disability or sexual orientation?)

Good golly! Who taught them this behavior was ok?

Four teens escaped from juvenile detention in Tennessee. Two of them are murder suspects, police say
Four teens escaped from a juvenile detention in Tennessee - CNN

CNN) - Four teens escaped from a juvenile detention center in Nashville, Tennessee, and authorities say they are considered dangerous.

The teens are 15, 16, and 17, and were last seen Saturday night, according to a tweet from the Metro Nashville Police Department. Two are accused of murder and the others were arrested on armed robbery and gun possession charges, police said.

Decorrius Wright, 16, is accused in the February murder of Kyle Yorlets, according to police. Yorlets was a Nashville musician who was shot and killed when a group of five minors robbed him of his wallet and he refused to hand over his keys.

More at link....

Good golly! Who taught them this behavior was ok?

Four teens escaped from juvenile detention in Tennessee. Two of them are murder suspects, police say
Four teens escaped from a juvenile detention in Tennessee - CNN

CNN) - Four teens escaped from a juvenile detention center in Nashville, Tennessee, and authorities say they are considered dangerous.

The teens are 15, 16, and 17, and were last seen Saturday night, according to a tweet from the Metro Nashville Police Department. Two are accused of murder and the others were arrested on armed robbery and gun possession charges, police said.

Decorrius Wright, 16, is accused in the February murder of Kyle Yorlets, according to police. Yorlets was a Nashville musician who was shot and killed when a group of five minors robbed him of his wallet and he refused to hand over his keys.

More at link....

Wow, I hope the find them soon. Those are dangerous people.

Four teenagers, including two murder suspects, escape from Nashville juvenile detention center
63ALV3BPVFGWBIJEUQGNK5WI5A.jpg

SABBM:
A group of teenagers escaped from a Nashville juvenile detention center late Saturday night and are still on the run, police said.

Four teenagers, including two accused murderers, broke out of the downtown facility around 9:44 p.m. Saturday while they were on a work detail, according to the Metro Nashville Police Department. The staff supervisor was distracted by a fight in another part of the facility and the four were able to take the elevator to the ground floor and then escape out a door.

At least 35 minutes passed before anyone notified police of the foursome’s escape, officials said.

This is completely unacceptable.

In the first place, what are accused murderers who are being charged as adults doing in a juvenile detention facility?

Secondly, what are they doing together in any kind of loosely supervised group setting?
It's clear they're pack creatures.

They should have been kept separated from one another at all times, up to and including all of them being housed at separate facilities.

Thirdly, there's absolutely no excuse for the delay in notifying LE of the escape.
None.

Horrendous judgment shown by the facility here at every single turn.
Period.

One can only hope it doesn't cost yet another victim their life.

Infuriating.

JMO.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member