UK - Alesha MacPhail, 6, raped & murdered, Ardbeg, Isle of Bute, Scotland, 2 Jul 2018 -*arrest* #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Peter A Smith‏Verified account @PeterAdamSmith 40s40 seconds ago

Discussing implications of identifying the 16 year-old on his family, including younger sister. Argument submitted is the editors’ code could protect someone in education from interference. Also if he were 18 his family would have no special protection other than editors’ code.

ssc.president‏ @PresidentSsc 14h14 hours ago

Persons under 18 are not named before conviction because the UK is a signatory to the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child, and a person under ighteen is deemed in law to be a child. Section 47 of the Criminal Procedure (S) Act 1995 requires this.

However, Section 47 (3) states that the court, if satisfied that it is in the public interest can, direct that the requirements mentioned above can be dispensed with. That will be considered in detail tomorrow, and the names of the killer might be published thereafter./

Lord Matthews may prefer to wait until the punishment part of the life sentence is imposed before making a ruling. Sentencing is in four weeks' time. On that date the accused will know the minimum period he will require to spend in prison

Matters do not end there. At that stage it will be up to a future Parole Board to decide whether it is safe to release him. Very few people who murder defenceless children are released until a great many years after the punishment part expires

So, if the punishment part is (say) 25 years, that does not mean he will be free aged 41. He might well still be in custody when he is 71; it will depend on future risk assesments that will be affected by the nature of the offence he committed.

Imagine being in prison for 55 years, god. I'd rather die honestly. But I suppose that is the point. That's more of a punishment for some people.

People are going to continue to name him if his name isn't officially released. I know his name and I live hundreds of miles away and didn't make any attempt to actually find it out!
Same. His name and pictures are all over FB and Twitter. People are trying to find his family and friends. I feel for them, they weren’t to blame.

Same. His name and pictures are all over FB and Twitter. People are trying to find his family and friends. I feel for them, they weren’t to blame.

Human nature is having a need to understand.

People are just stumped as to the why....what they do not appreciate is that the offender himself may not fully understand that one himself

Peter A Smith‏Verified account @PeterAdamSmith 3m3 minutes ago

The defence for the teenage killer begins arguing against identifying him. Says there’s a credible threat and a “price on his head.” Judge asks: if that threat already exists, how does identifying him change that? Defence argues it risks exacerbating the situation.

If there's a "price on his head" then they already know his name so what's the difference surely, no? Or am I reading that wrong?

I think the argument is as per the above tweet - some people know who the murderer is and there is a threat against him.
If the name is revealed, everyone knows who he is and there may be many more threats - greater danger to him

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member