UK - Alesha MacPhail, 6, raped & murdered, Ardbeg, Isle of Bute, Scotland, 2 Jul 2018 -*arrest* #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
James Shaw‏ @JGBS 18s19 seconds ago

Arguing that the teenager who raped and murdered Alesha MacPhail should not be named, his lawyer says there has been credible intelligence of a threat to his client.

That’s what happens when you end up in jail for killing little children. Unfortunately for him, he is going to be a target as people inside will want the notoriety that will come with getting to him first.

But nothing is secret in there. They will probably already know more about him than we do.

I can't help but think that his over confidence and boastful nature, which is what sunk him in the end, is from having a history of talking his way out of trouble. Getting in trouble officially at home and school is what marks that a person needs to be watched. This lack of publicly known history protects him. It's in the public interest for him to be named as he will be in the near future anyway.

TBF it's the editorial team i'd look to. I know people who've been interviewed by the Sun and they write the article they want, not what you thought you'd said nor the article they assured you they'd be writing.

As to whether she was paid, on first reading it did NOT mention that she wasn't paid, which implies she was, but i can't get it to load now (probably due to traffic, the editor will be rubbing his greasy palms together in glee) and it's not unknown for them to "accidentally on purpose" leave that info off for a few hours either. If it's in print tomorrow they're more likely to state if she wasn't paid on the actual paper.

Sorry this is going back a bit, I am catching up.

As an ex national press reporter I can confirm that is absolutely how things operate. The story is the one the editor wants, regardless of anything else (including facts sometimes). A very large part of my reason for being an ex!

I'd be surprised if she was paid anything at all for the story, that's not as common as people think. And if she did get paid it wouldn't be a lot. Especially if it was a press agency who got the interview. She might have got a hundred or two to agree to an exclusive if the Sun got to her first.

ADHD doesn't make teens go out and rape and murder! It's irrelevant to his case here I feel. As for the self harming, who is to know whether he got a "kick" out of this since he seems to have done with his horrific crime and the alleged incidents with defenceless animals.

Can I ask why it takes 4 weeks to pass a sentence? Does the judge really need that long to decide?

The chances are that the judge has other cases to sit on, there are background reports to wait for (psychological/social work etc);mitigating factors to be entered by defence;aggravating factors to be entered by the prosecution alongside statute books of previous rulings for similar crimes. The judge wants to minimise appeals for sentence being unduly harsh so will have to make things as watertight as possible

The Sun seemed to have found them out in about a day.

Those aren’t confirmed as fact, it’s also about gauging risk of reoffending. They use social workers etc they will look into his past plus interview him and try and get a clear picture before sentencing. Hopefully in this case it will help get an extremely long sentence.

Those aren’t confirmed as fact, it’s also about gauging risk of reoffending. They use social workers etc they will look into his past plus interview him and try and get a clear picture before sentencing. Hopefully in this case it will help get an extremely long sentence.

Correct. Social workers will assess risk of reoffending and risk of harm. The defence will submit mitigating factors, and the crown aggravating factors. The judge will then refer to past precedent and come to an informed decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288