GUILTY MD - Coast Guard Lt. Christopher Paul Hasson, plotted white supremacist mass murder, Feb 2019

‘I am dreaming of a way to kill almost every last person on earth’: A self-proclaimed white nationalist planned a mass terrorist attack, the government says

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...daf6b8-3544-11e9-af5b-b51b7ff322e9_story.html

Hasson has been working at the U.S. Coast Guard headquarters in Washington since 2016, according to court documents filed by prosecutors. He also served in the U.S. Marine Corps from 1988 to 1993 and in the Army National Guard for about two years in the mid-1990s, the filings state.

Silver Spring man accused of domestic terror plot, wanted to create ‘white homeland’

Silver Spring man accused of domestic terror plot, wanted to create ‘white homeland’ | WTOP

WASHINGTON — A Silver Spring, Maryland, lieutenant for the U.S. Coast Guard in D.C. has been arrested on suspicion of a domestic terror plot to kill numerous high-profile politicians and journalists in an attempt to establish a “white homeland.”

Court documents claim Hasson wrote in an email, "I am dreaming of a way to kill almost every last person on Earth." Prosecutors said in a detention document that Hasson intended "to murder innocent civilians on a scale rarely seen in this country."

Coast Guard lieutenant arrested on federal ammo charges

Who radicalized this man to think that being a White nationalist is right?...?

I also noticed it looks like he gave the people on his target list little nicknames.
I don't know who radicalized him but evidently it happened over 30 years ago.

Coast Guard lieutenant, dubbed 'domestic terrorist,' had hit list of media bigs and Dem lawmakers: prosecutors

The filing said Hasson had "espoused extremist views for years" and quoted a letter he drafted to "a known American neo-Nazi leader" in September 2017, nearly two months after the deadly violence at a white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia. In the letter, Hasson described himself as "a long time White Nationalist, having been a skinhead 30 plus years ago before my time in the military."

Lol Jussie. This white guy wanted to kill millions. And this compares to Jussie exactly how?
I was responding to a poster that brought up the Jussie Smollett case and implied imo that this case was more important. I took that to mean that this case deserved more coverage. I suggested that the twist and turns of the JS case gave posters more fodder. jmo

This guy's hit list is extensive...I am glad he was caught. The other case has way more fodder, I agree, plus the minor-league celebrity angle. But this is terrifying, and law enforcement did a great job. I still wonder why he was so "open" with his web browsing at work. Maybe he's just dumb, but it also seems like he wants attention.

I don't know who radicalized him but evidently it happened over 30 years ago.

He could well have radicalized himself.

As a commissioned officer, the suspect is presumed to have sufficient critical thinking and other analytical skills to arrive at independent conclusions. Thus there is less chance that of being unduly influenced by somebody.

The fact that he maintained his extremist socio political beliefs over a thirty year period also indicate that the beliefs were, at the very least, independently maintained. Though this does not necessarily mean “self radicalization”, when combined with his position as an officer, it may point towards it.

Last edited:
I still wonder why he was so "open" with his web browsing at work. Maybe he's just dumb, but it also seems like he wants attention.
One of the links mentions that he was illicitly using a prescription drug and had taken steps to avoid being caught by urine tests. My guess is that the more doped up he got, the more careless he became regarding his web browsing.

It is strange to me that this wannabe terrorist who wanted to kill everyone is not getting much attention. Who is he in contact with? Does he have other buddies into this killing?

Why was he able to work in the service with those views? They are longstanding

US Coast Guard lieutenant accused of being a domestic terrorist appears in court for first time

Prosecutors said the charges presented are just the "tip of the iceberg."

Hasson was described as someone who had "espoused extremist views for years." In a draft email from June 2017 he allegedly wrote, "I am dreaming of a way to kill almost every last person on the earth. I think a plague would be most successful but how do I acquire the needed/ Spanish flu, botulism, anthrax not sure yet but will find something."

He was found to have been studying the writings of previous domestic terrorists and was particularly interested in that of Anders Behring Breivik, a Norwegian terrorist who killed 77 people in 2011.

US Coast Guard lieutenant accused of being a domestic terrorist appears in court for first time

Prosecutors said the charges presented are just the "tip of the iceberg."

Hasson was described as someone who had "espoused extremist views for years." In a draft email from June 2017 he allegedly wrote, "I am dreaming of a way to kill almost every last person on the earth. I think a plague would be most successful but how do I acquire the needed/ Spanish flu, botulism, anthrax not sure yet but will find something."

He was found to have been studying the writings of previous domestic terrorists and was particularly interested in that of Anders Behring Breivik, a Norwegian terrorist who killed 77 people in 2011.

Tip of the iceberg

Heard that on local radio this am.

He surely was not alone.

One word- trust.

As the US is an open society, military personnel are not usually actively monitored for security issues. Special Forces soldiers may be an exception, but even their reviews are probably pretty general.

Commissioned officers, however, are required to maintain a secret clearance. This means a background investigation every ten years of so. Though this could potentially uncover evidence of extremism, my guess is that the investigators don’t have the resources to go deep into a person's online life- especially if they visit a "5 EZ ways to conceal on line activity" type site before surfing. Then factor in that as the US is an open society, actively monitoring what US officers are reading does not sit well as a general practice. Thus, the reliance on trust.

It is strange to me that this wannabe terrorist who wanted to kill everyone is not getting much attention. Who is he in contact with? Does he have other buddies into this killing?

It's getting hardly any attention at all. Trump has been Tweeting over and over about Jussie, and the other high-ranking members of the GOP have remained silent on this. To me, these domestic terrorists are truly terrifying; they could be your next door neighbor! Speaking of, my neighbor of 50 years (he lives right next door) was just arrested 2 weeks ago for going to an airport to pick up what he thought was a 16 year-old girl whom he was going to pay to have sex with. He is divorced, but has 5 daughters! This really opened my eyes to the 'right next door' thing.

A judge in Greenbelt, Maryland, sided with prosecutors' request to hold US Coast Guardsman Lt. Christopher Paul Hasson — who is accused of being a "domestic terrorist"— without bail. The court would revisit the request in 14 days, giving prosecutors two weeks to build their case.

Authorities found 15 firearms and over 1,000 rounds of ammunition. Prosecutors also accuse the defendant of possession of the schedule IV opioid called Tramadol.

Hasson spent time on his US Coast Guard computer researching domestic terrorists like the Unabomber and the Virginia Tech gunman.

Court documents also point to a letter allegedly written to American neo-Nazi leader that Hasson ended up sending to himself, where he calls for violence and self identifies as a white nationalist who supports a "white homeland."

He spent time perusing the manifesto of Norwegian right-wing terrorist Anders Behring Breivik, who was charged with murdering 77 people in Norway in July of 2011. Law enforcement found a stockpile human growth hormone. Breivik suggests "an assailant should begin a six-week steroid cycle once all the equipment and components for their operation has been acquired and the preparation phase begins."

Hasson had created an Excel spreadsheet with potential targets — including CNN and MSNBC personalities and Democratic lawmakers. He Googled things like where members of congress live and "civil war if trump impeached."

Hasson was with the US Coast Guard for 28 years.

Judge orders US Coast Guardsman accused of plotting domestic terrorism to remain behind bars

One word- trust.

As the US is an open society, military personnel are not usually actively monitored for security issues. Special Forces soldiers may be an exception, but even their reviews are probably pretty general.

Commissioned officers, however, are required to maintain a secret clearance. This means a background investigation every ten years of so. Though this could potentially uncover evidence of extremism, my guess is that the investigators don’t have the resources to go deep into a person's online life- especially if they visit a "5 EZ ways to conceal on line activity" type site before surfing. Then factor in that as the US is an open society, actively monitoring what US officers are reading does not sit well as a general practice. Thus, the reliance on trust.

I was wondering about a psychological testing when they sign up

One word- trust.

It is not open re using a computer on a work site. There are all kinds of rules. One would think it would be far more strict in the military

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back