CO CO - Kelsey Berreth, 29, Woodland Park, Teller County, 22 Nov 2018 - #42 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kenney said she spent three to four hours in Berreth’s townhome, bleaching the walls and floors, removing the curtains and couch pillows and hunting for a tooth that Frazee said had been knocked out, Slater said.

Patrick Frazee allegedly had blindfolded Kelsey Berreth, bludgeoned her with baseball bat

Snip

FBI evidence technicians and a Colorado Department of Public Safety arson investigator studied the alleged burn area and found evidence of accelerant but no remains. Frazee reportedly told Kenney he would “scoop her up” and dispose of her remains in a landfill or elsewhere.

Prosecutors had sought to call Sheila Frazee to the stand Tuesday, but Judge Sells ruled that she did not have to testify after her attorney said in court she would invoke her right against self-incrimination.

Cellphone records from the day of Berreth's disappearance showed that Frazee called his mother, Sheila, at 4:24 p.m., Slater said. His phone connected to the tower that services Berreth's house.

At 4:37 p.m., Frazee called Kenney's Idaho number — also from the vicinity of Berreth's home — and received a return call from that number minutes later.

Sean Frazee, Patrick's brother and a Colorado Springs police officer, dropped by Patrick's house at 2:30 p.m. Nov. 22, Adams said. Patrick was not home but arrived "a little later" with the couple’s child. Nothing was out of the ordinary, Adams said. Patrick and Sean Frazee were described as “estranged.”

In 2017, Frazee confiscated Berreth's gun after she threatened herself with it, Slater said, saying the episode was related to investigators by Berreth’s mother. The couple were arguing about finances when Berreth said, "Maybe I would be better off dead" and pointed the gun at her head.

Investigators by berreths mother?

Either KB or PF talked to her about the incident. But it's interesting. If true that means there was financial strain between the two.

I recall CB stating at the beginning g that they were engaged but couldn't marry because of the cattle industry doing poorly. I bet that was the excuse PF gave.

Seems he was stringing her along. And she knew something was wrong but hoped for the best.

Isn't Aug 2018 also when KB was in California for rehab? Could these papers be so PF could seek medical care while KB was out of town, or was he planning to seek custody?
Yes, it was August that she sought treatment for depression. Slater used the word "custody" so I tend to think it wasn't specifically regarding medical care. JMO

Live blog: Patrick Frazee appears in court for preliminary hearing
Addressing Frazee’s accusations of Kelsey Berreth’s alcohol and drug problem, Slater said Berreth went to the Nedley Clinic in August 2018. Slater said that center doesn’t address drug and alcohol addiction, but depression and anxiety issues.

Parents of Kelsey Berreth cite custody battle in missing mom's disappearance
Cheryl Berreth also accused Frazee of making false reports, including how Kelsey had been to rehab, that she had run off, and how she abandoned their daughter in Frazee’s car.

I don't believe we will ever hear a word from PF. But yeah. His defense will likely try to implicate KK and based on the avid desire of many to see her as the actual murderer, it could work.
I'm hoping the defense's 'counter attack' won't work. LE KEPT repeating throughout the affidavit that such and such was corroborated with the evidence. If the defense wants to flip it, they'll have to have some evidence to back it up you'd think. Or not. We know what happened with CAnthony. If they get a very 'imaginative' juror, yikes.

I also think her ex may move for custody - I wonder where she is living? Did she return home and did he allow it (I should check the deed to see who was awarded the property in the divorce when I get a chance).

I wouldn't be surprised if her ex files for custody, but right now I don't think he has to go that far.

I think he's in a position to dictate the children's living arrangements and her access without needing to go to court. I think she realizes she's not in a position to fight it.

I believe I read that she was still living with the kids at her in-laws. I imagine she'll be looking for new living accommodations as well as some kind of job.

BTW...I believe I've seen a couple references now to KK's friend MS, the one who worked for the lawyers. She's referred to as a 'former paralegal', so it seems she is no longer with the lawyers.

Do we have any proof that PF really went to Thanksgiving dinner at the ranch? The only info I have read is the statement by his brother. How do we know this to be true? Overall, we've heard very little about and from the brother. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he has more knowledge than we are lead to believe.
That said, I am not 100% convinced PF even went to the ranch for the family dinner. The timeline is awfully tight - and he would have needed time to clean himself up, change clothes, etc. before arriving there. Despite being LE himself, I wonder if the brother was covering for him not being at dinner.

#PatrickFrazee’s brother Sean Frazee, a Colorado Springs police officer, saw Patrick at his house on Nov.22, day #KelseyBerreth disappeared. The baby was there. Sean Frazee reported nothing “unusual,” witness says under crossX. @csgazette

I'm hoping the defense's 'counter attack' won't work. LE KEPT repeating throughout the affidavit that such and such was corroborated with the evidence. If the defense wants to flip it, they'll have to have some evidence to back it up you'd think. Or not. We know what happened with CAnthony. If they get a very 'imaginative' juror, yikes.

I'm not an attorney, so I don't have the slightest idea how one would begin constructing a defense in this case, other than pulling a Drew Peterson and claiming that without a body, there's still the possibility KB is alive and well somewhere. I don't see any other defense tactic except to challenge evidence, even if no single piece seems to be a case-breaker.

Defense doesn’t need evidence, they just need to create a reasonable doubt, the prosecution does though.

***warning this got a little graphic! ***

Because as a "responsible" gun owner, you have knowledge of WHERE your weapon is AT ALL TIMES.

You are also keenly aware of the number of bullets you placed in the magazine and are all accounted for.

Key word being, RESPONSIBLE.

Imo, leaving it unsecured in your vehicle and allowing someone to take it from your possession with your unsecured weapon inside of it is IRRESPONSIBLE.

I'll even go so far as to say, that the person who borrowed your car, knows that your are well aware of the gun in the car and possibility that it was even placed it there for a very specific reason.

RESPONSIBLE gun owners don't leave their guns in cars unattended and unlocked, for the simple reason that they could be stolen.

RESPONSIBLE gun owners also report when their weapon and/or ammo is unaccounted for.
The reason being, if your gun is stolen /borrowed and used in a crime, the serial # leads back to YOU!
Upon the return of the vehicle, MG obviously checked to make sure her weapon was returned.
She also counted the # of bullets she had placed in the magazine and discovered one missing.

A RESPONSIBLE gun owner would absolutely call law enforcement and report the dates and times of when and who left with gun and car and when it was retuned by the "friend".
In the event that someone is killed by a weapon that you own or your ammo, you become a suspect by LE if you fail to report it immediately upon noticing the discrepancy.

KB gun is missing.
MG bullet is missing.
What guns did these two women own?
Could they both use the same ammo?

Lastly...
A "tooth" in a vent.
Riiiiight!!!!
Couldn't have been a "slug" now could it?

A slug can be traced to a weapon/gun owner and ballistics will point to the people involved.
A tooth?
It can only be related by DNA to the victim, not the killer!!!

Why was KK asked to retrieve it from the vent?

How did PF KNOW it dropped into a vent???

IMO- because a gun does make noise.
The sweater/candle was a set up for an execution.
The slug ended up inside if the sweater and when PF took it off of her face, the slug rolled into a vent.

Due to the possibility that someone heard the shot he had to take baby K and get the heck outta dodge!

ASAP! NO time to go fishing for the one thing that traces back directly to KB's gun or MG ammo.

Being shot in the back of the head would rule out suicide.
A beating by a bat and a tooth rolling into a vent...
He COULD have easily taken the time to collect it, but why bother? It didn't prove WHO did it.

Blood spatter was on the foil covering cinnamon rolls. It was also on the fireplace?
My best guess? Her body
was propped up by the fire place, scene staged and PF rinsed up in the bathroom enough to allow him to get out the door without any blood being seen by the naked eye of anyone outside of the home.

OR he did beat the living **** out if her and took his own sweet time to clean up for the fam din din later.
He realized before leaving that she was still alive and finished her off with a final shot to the head. (where the slug ended up in a grate.)

At any rate, for him to have knowledge of a tooth or a slug, he had to have been in control over the situation.
Moo

If he did knock her teeth/tooth out, I seriously doubt he did an inventory of her missing teeth!

Q: Why get rid of KB's gun?
A: Blow back.

Q: Why did MG report a missing bullet?
A: She was afraid if KB was ever found, the ammo that she had in her magazine placed in KB's gun to kill her with.

Thoughts?
Moo

Interesting ideas but, if he shot her, wouldn't he have used her own weapon if trying to stage a suicide (a version that's been floated and not sure where that came from) ? Allegedly, KK wasn't there yet so MG's gun couldn't have been, either. So the the story goes, anyway. Since her body was not left there, the staged suicide would be a no but shooting is still possible.

However she was killed, I still can't fathom how blood was spread all over the condo. One swing of a bat would knock her out and a bullet to the head would send blood spatter in one direction. Both methods would be very bloody but contained to one area, I would think. So far, I've read blood in the living room, kitchen, upstairs and bathroom. Bathroom could be entirely due to personal and/or condo clean up. He may have gone upstairs to get something after killing her, hence bloody footprints up the stairs and in the loft. But, the kitchen and living room are a large area for blood spatter. That's too widespread for a bullet. Multiple swings of the bat (back and forth), with blood on the bat, could send blood flying in both directions. The thing is, after the first hit, it would seen Kelsey would have been on the floor and it would be hard to keep swinging a bat at her. I just don't know. I'm also sorry to be laying out a visual of something so terrible but it's relevant.

#PatrickFrazee’s brother Sean Frazee, a Colorado Springs police officer, saw Patrick at his house on Nov.22, day #KelseyBerreth disappeared. The baby was there. Sean Frazee reported nothing “unusual,” witness says under crossX. @csgazette
I don't disagree he was at the house at all - I just think it was not between 1-4:30 - when his phone pinged at KB's. I think he showed up later - 5:30 or so which causes one to wonder what did SF2 mean when he said a little later than 2:30????

KKL said PF told her he planned to throw KB's remains in a dump or river.

Yep and given that, how did they pick this particular landfill to decide to search? Seems like a real long shot. I'd choose a river over a landfill, were I PF. Lord knows, both of those could also be lies from KK. For all we know, whatever remains were left, after the fire, could be up around Gooding, Idaho.

Interesting ideas but, if he shot her, wouldn't he have used her own weapon if trying to stage a suicide (a version that's been floated and not sure where that came from) ? Allegedly, KK wasn't there yet so MG's gun couldn't have been, either. So the the story goes, anyway. Since her body was not left there, the staged suicide would be a no but shooting is still possible.

However she was killed, I still can't fathom how blood was spread all over the condo. One swing of a bat would knock her out and a bullet to the head would send blood spatter in one direction. Both methods would be very bloody but contained to one area, I would think. So far, I've read blood in the living room, kitchen, upstairs and bathroom. Bathroom could be entirely due to personal and/or condo clean up. He may have gone upstairs to get something after killing her, hence bloody footprints up the stairs and in the loft. But, the kitchen and living room are a large area for blood spatter. That's too widespread for a bullet. Multiple swings of the bat (back and forth), with blood on the bat, could send blood flying in both directions. The thing is, after the first hit, it would seen Kelsey would have been on the floor and it would be hard to keep swinging a bat at her. I just don't know. I'm also sorry to be laying out a visual of something so terrible but it's relevant.

I've also had trouble with this. To be honest, I didn't want to think about it too much, because the only thing that makes sense to me is worse for KB. The only way I can see that much blood is if PF did not kill her with a single blow and she did stagger around fighting for her life. I can see PF raging and continuing to hit her as long as there was even the slightest involuntary movement on her part.

Some of it - the blood in odd places in the kitchen and the footprints - sound like PF moving around immediately after the deed. But not the splatter.

I'm still thinking about this gun issue as well. Is it possible that he did indeed shoot her? Possible.
That there was allegedly such a mess of blood is strange. A gun shot could have done that I suppose. But a bat could as well. I don't mean to be too graphic, but if he hit her really hard with that bat, its possible that her head just completely came apart. And he didn't anticipate that sort of mess. All we have right now is the police version of what KK told them that PF told her. I'm not taking that as gospel just yet. Its entirely possible that he lied to her about how he killed KB. Why did he give her KB's gun? That seems odd to me. And that the friend's gun was missing a round and was likely fired also is interesting. Perhaps PF had plans to frame KK for the murder.

Two possibilities are 1) she didn't go down right away and the beating took place across a few rooms, and 2) he was walking around with the bat dropping blood everywhere. Or both. Also, it is a pretty small condo. The kitchen and the living room are close and smallish.

I don't disagree he was at the house at all - I just think it was not between 1-4:30 - when his phone pinged at KB's. I think he showed up later - 5:30 or so which causes one to wonder what did SF2 mean when he said a little later than 2:30????

I wondered if this was an error in reporting. I also thought I read that PF's phone was pinging from KB's all afternoon, even during the time when we know (think we know?) he went to SFs with the baby for dinner.

Isn't Aug 2018 also when KB was in California for rehab? Could these papers be so PF could seek medical care while KB was out of town, or was he planning to seek custody?
If believe the search of SF/PF residence produced two documents related to baby K: an August 2018 non-filed "custody type" document naming baby K; and a December 2018 medical directive for baby K by PF, naming a number of persons authorized to act in this capacity-- excluding KB from the list (implication KB excluded because she was known deceased by PF). I apologize that I don't recall if this information was in the arrest afdvt, hearing testimony, or perhaps both. Anyone?

ETA: Shout out to this brilliant, sleuthing community, for your constant, generous courtesy extended me. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail