ACTIVE SEARCH SD - Serenity Dennard, 9, Children’s Home Society, Pennington County, 3 Feb 2019 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure I've left a few things out but this is how I understand it, in a nutshell.

Two staff members and four children were in the gym. As one child ran away (but stayed inside the building), Serenity took off (approx 10:45 a.m.), running outside. The other staff member stayed with the two remaining children but called for help. Staff then searched for Serenity before calling 911 at 12:26 pm.

A woman dropping off a family member saw Serenity at the cattle gate about 11 a.m. The woman had a passenger with her who stayed in the car while she went inside to tell somebody that there was a child outside. The passenger saw Serenity heading north on the road. When the woman came back out, they drove up and down the road but couldn't find Serenity.
MOO
Yes, that is correct. I don't think they realized that Serenity had gone outside at first, as the door to the gym she went through doesn't lead directly outside. I think it was when they were informed that she was outside that a staff member looked out and actually saw her head up into the hills.
BTW, I really like how you put Serenity's name in purple!

So really and truly tragic all the way around. Every set of circumstances were against her here. How helpless the people there must’ve felt.
If it had happened the day before, the temps were around 60. It is possible it was this that prompted her to want to run outside. But she ran just when the weather was plummeting and a storm was moving in.

If it had happened the day before, the temps were around 60. It is possible it was this that prompted her to want to run outside. But she ran just when the weather was plummeting and a storm was moving in.
I was looking at Google maps and that Home really is out there all on its own. Not too many places to hide or find shelter

Posted this afternoon by Pennington County Sheriff's Office:

Although weather prohibits effective and safe outdoors search for 9 year old Serenity Dennard, the investigation remains a top priority. Serenity ran away from Black Hills Children’s Home 2/3/19. 188 interviews, 45 leads & help from FBI with leads and sightings out of the area​

Although weather prohibits effective and safe outdoors search for 9 year old Serenity Dennard, the investigation remains a top priority. Serenity ran away from Black Hills Children’s Home 2/3/19. 188 interviews, 45 leads & help from FBI with leads and sightings out of the area​

Thank you!

“with leads and sightings out of the area”

This must meen there’s a possibility she’s been seen outside of Rockerville? Hoping and praying so!

Never give up hope.
t4594.gif

Link to the Sheriff's post: Pennington County Sheriff's Office

New update on black hills Fox News
Thank you! They have just repeated the Sheriff's statement, basically.

Effort continues to find missing nine year old Serenity
Even though the weather prohibits an effective and safe outdoors search for Serenity Dennard, the investigation remains a top priority to find the missing nine year old. Serenity ran away from the Black Hills Children’s Home on Sunday, Feb. 3, 2019.

The Pennington County Sheriff’s Office, Rapid City Police Department and Pennington County Search and Rescue are still working on an active plan with canines when the weather warms and the snow melts to get back into the Rockerville area to resume searching for Serenity.

A little more in this one:

Authorities to begin 'top priority' search for 9-year-old again after snow melts
After calling off a search due to winter weather, authorities say that a search for a 9-year-old girl who went missing in Pennington County is still a "top priority."

Authorities say the investigation "remains a top priority" and plan to resume the search with canines after the snow melts in the Rockerville area.

Last edited:
Thank you!

“with leads and sightings out of the area”

This must meen there’s a possibility she’s been seen outside of Rockerville? Hoping and praying so!

Does the road by the home dead end up in the hills or does it continue on over to the other side?
During the time she was missing, was any vehicle ever seen on the road?
Maybe she was able to sneak a ride in a backseat of a vehicle or the bed of a truck unbeknownst to the driver?

Does the road by the home dead end up in the hills or does it continue on over to the other side?
During the time she was missing, was any vehicle ever seen on the road?
Maybe she was able to sneak a ride in a backseat of a vehicle or the bed of a truck unbeknownst to the driver?
The main road continues down and ends on the route 40 outside Keystone. It is not a dead end.
Some of us has speculated that as a possibility, perhaps even a vehicle that stopped at the Home. It seems unlikely but we are grasping at straws to keep our hope that Serenity is alive and safe. So we cling to the possibility.
But there has never been mention of any other vehicle on the road, other than the two people that dropped somebody off at the Home. It doesn't mean there weren't any.

Are there any farms or ranches out in the direction she was headed? I'm thinking maybe she hid in the back of a ranch truck?
The nearest home is over a mile away going north up S. Rockerville Rd. If she headed up in to the hills, the nearest is almost two miles, and that is as the crow flies. But the terrain is too rough for her to have made it there in a straight line, even if she did head in the right direction.
And she wasn't even wearing a coat, hat, or mittens.
I believe LE went around and asked any houses nearby to check all outbuildings and such.
Of course, if she did hide in the back of a vehicle, she could have gotten out elsewhere. But there has been no indication (at this point) of such a thing having happened.

The nearest home is over a mile away going north up S. Rockerville Rd. If she headed up in to the hills, the nearest is almost two miles, and that is as the crow flies. But the terrain is too rough for her to have made it there in a straight line, even if she did head in the right direction.
And she wasn't even wearing a coat, hat, or mittens.
I believe LE went around and asked any houses nearby to check all outbuildings and such.
Of course, if she did hide in the back of a vehicle, she could have gotten out elsewhere. But there has been no indication (at this point) of such a thing having happened.

Yeah I know. Just grasping at straws.

RSBM BBM
Effort continues to find missing nine year old Serenity

"188 interviews have been conducted. Three search warrants have been executed for records. The Pennington County Sheriff’s Office has followed 45 leads and is using the assistance of the FBI and other out-of-state agencies for assistance with leads and sightings out of the area."
Yeah I know. Just grasping at straws.
RSBM/BBM - quoted to provide link about leads and sightings out of the area..... oh Serenity

I keep grasping at those same straws,
because we all know the actual outcome could be... that which is truly heartbreaking.

I really hope that one of those leads brings a happy ending to this gut wrenching ordeal.
Alas, the odds are astronomical. As always MHO's :)

So hard to understand why her body, if it's outside, hasn't yet been found during all the searches. Is it possible it was buried under the snow? Perhaps she fell into a snow bank and it came down on her, or she collapsed on the side of a road and snow plows covered her? MOO.

It says on the Kota news site
Thanks, I see it:

New picture and flier for Serenity Dennard

She looks happy in that picture. I wonder if she was upset about being dropped back off at the Home. They said that she might be trying to get back to Sturgis. But if that is the case, then I doubt she would have left the main road, which would be the way she knew headed to Sturgis. But the one report definitely has her leaving the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288