GUILTY CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
RIVERSIDE, Calif.- - David and Louise Turpin have accepted a plea deal and will not go to trial, according to ABC7's Leticia Juarez. The Turpins are accused of imprisoning, starving, and torturing 12 of their 13 children in their Perris home.

The possible max sentence which they could receive is life in prison. The Turpins pleaded guilty to 14 counts each. Sentencing is set for April 15.
This is the only half decent thing they have done.

Here’s hoping they get a sentence they deserve. But then I dont think that will happen, because what they deserve and what the laws allow are far apart.

Interesting. I wonder if there was something else that they knew was going to come out at trial that they didn't want to come out. That would make some sense, considering at one point DT alluded to more stuff, if I recall. I suspect eventually more stuff will come out anyway, but this seems like a form of damage control, knowing that they don't think they can win their case.

I bet it was sex abuse.

I bet it was sex abuse.
You're likely right, but perhaps they were also convinced that there is NO way they would be found not-guilty and a jury would not approve of them putting their case on trial when those kids have been through so much already. The only redeeming thing they could possibly do at this point is to plead guilty. (Too little, too late to be sure.)

But, yeah, there probably are even worse things that might have come out.

And now it's time for the NEXT CHAPTER!!!! The kids can fully move on now.

jmo

A lawyer for some of the children held captive and starved by a California couple says they are relieved after their parents pleaded guilty to torture and other abuse.
Osborn says the adult children are glad there will not be trial.

He says they can now move forward with their lives without the stress a trial would have involved.

The attorney says the children have been living together, attending school, getting healthy and leading normal lives.
Riverside County District Attorney Mike Hestrin says the couple will be sentenced April 19 to 25 years-to-life in prison.
The Latest: Abused children ‘relieved’ by parents’ pleas

This article also mentions April 19th for sentencing.
Parents guilty of torturing 12 kids

The pictures of the kids chained to the beds were going to be shown, they had no chance. I was just surprised that they did not plead guilty right away.

I just don't understand why anyone would do this. They must be crazy. That however, does not excuse or justify evil behavior. They KNEW it was wrong.

RIVERSIDE, Calif.- - David and Louise Turpin have accepted a plea deal and will not go to trial, according to ABC7's Leticia Juarez. The Turpins are accused of imprisoning, starving, and torturing 12 of their 13 children in their Perris home.

The possible max sentence which they could receive is life in prison. The Turpins pleaded guilty to 14 counts each. Sentencing is set for April 15.

Whoa!

I wonder what perpetrators of certain crimes can even be offered in exchange for a guilty plea. Some things are so awful that no matter if they plead or not, it just doesn't warrant anything less than life in prison. Especially if it stops just short of warranting CP, or the State doesn't have CP, so you can't exactly go: plead and get LWP, or don't, be found guilty in trial and lose your life. What do you offer if either way they're probably going to get life, because that's what they deserve? How do you make it attractive for them to plead, then?

Anyway, I'm glad the Turpins did plead, and didn't decide to torture their children some more.

Defense lawyers did their job. Turpins pled not guilty at first until their lawyers got all info and evidence. Then lawyers put all that on the table, we don’t know what all of that was, but many have expressed it here. Next they told the Turpins this is what you can do....guilty, not guilty, blame each other, trials and this is wha will happen to you both, much worse then if you plea guilty now. Their lawyers explained it well.

IMO I don’t think the parents thought about how hard it would be to put their children through a trial, they don’t care about the children, just about how long they could be in prison. It was always about themselves.

Let the children heal, grow and enjoy life. They will never forget but I so hope they can move on and enjoy each other and life.

Defense lawyers did their job. Turpins pled not guilty at first until their lawyers got all info and evidence. Then lawyers put all that on the table, we don’t know what all of that was, but many have expressed it here. Next they told the Turpins this is what you can do....guilty, not guilty, blame each other, trials and this is wha will happen to you both, much worse then if you plea guilty now. Their lawyers explained it well.

IMO I don’t think the parents thought about how hard it would be to put their children through a trial, they don’t care about the children, just about how long they could be in prison. It was always about themselves.

Let the children heal, grow and enjoy life. They will never forget but I so hope they can move on and enjoy each other and life.

Great post.

I wonder what perpetrators of certain crimes can even be offered in exchange for a guilty plea. Some things are so awful that no matter if they plead or not, it just doesn't warrant anything less than life in prison. Especially if it stops just short of warranting CP, or the State doesn't have CP, so you can't exactly go: plead and get LWP, or don't, be found guilty in trial and lose your life. What do you offer if either way they're probably going to get life, because that's what they deserve? How do you make it attractive for them to plead, then?

Anyway, I'm glad the Turpins did plead, and didn't decide to torture their children some more.

Riverside County has one of the highest "Plea Deals" in the State of California, last time I read it was 90% of their cases. The Turpin's got 25-life, which means they will probably die in prison before any chance of parole, IMO.

Apparently, they have been torturing their children for years in Texas, which was before their daughter escaped in California. I'm glad the children have a shot in life now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow