CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's untrue. There is documentation of his medical condition.

Hi JMarsh!

Would you please link that documentation that shows he owed 100K to the hospital, and he had a heart attack?

It would help me immensely since I've read where you have posted several times he owed 100k in hospital bills due to having a heart attack. I have never seen it confirmed though so the link to the documentation sure would help me.

He was self employed, and could easily purchase a medical policy like many self employed people do.

You mean he had no medical coverage for his children either?

His gross income shows he could have easily afforded to get medical coverage on himself, and his children.

The amount he was spending on gambling was more than a sufficient amount of money to pay for a medical insurance policy, with monies leftover.

Imo

The warrants provide new information that describe Merritt as a convicted felon with an “extensive criminal record” who has “served multiple prison terms,” and who had racked up more than $50,000 in debt prior to the McStay family’s disappearance, including the $30,000 he owed Joseph McStay for gambling debts and $20,120.80 he owed the IRS for unpaid taxes.

Thanks. I think that clears up the fishy way he was doing a lot of cash transactions.

He was trying to avoid having to report a lot of his income on his taxes to the IRS.

Did he report his winnings and losses, like required, to the IRS?

It seems he was purposefully evading paying taxes he knew he would owe the IRS.

The IRS can go back even further once they uncover the self employed business owner is failing to pay taxes owed. I believe they can go back 15 years if they find taxes owed are not being paid as required.

He would be required to send the IRS quarterly estimated tax return each year he was in business. Including enclosing money to cover the estimated tax that he owed for that quarter. So to uncover this large amount he owed to the IRS, would be enough from the IRS auditors to then go back many years to see if he owed more taxes, and they didn't catch it at the time.

When I worked for a large corporation, we had several IRS tax liens served on employees, and we were required to attach their wages, and then send the IRS the amount collected each month, until the IRS lien was statisfied.

Imo

Last edited:
Since we haven't heard back from @gitana1, and I'd really like a legal opinion, I'm including @Alethea and @Mercedes. I hope one of these fine attorneys can us with this question.

You might have better luck sending them PMs.

By default, we get alerts every time someone posts in a watched thread or likes one of our posts so these @Username notifications can get lost in the mix.

With CM owing such a large amount to the IRS for unpaid taxes, and penalties, for the life of me, I cant understand why his business licence wasn't suspended by the state of CA,?

The state is sent copies of the paperwork about the failure to pay the IRS business taxes owed, and send it to the state licensing board, and the state's tax revenue deoartment or at least that is the way its done in my state.

It's done to alert the state, they also may be owed additional state taxes by this same business owner.

Does CA also collect state business tax owed on self employed businesses? TiA

Jmo

I don't know which website you mean, but Chase was sued by Bank of America (this was well after the murders, though)-he'd been sued a number of times around the time of the murders--all related to evictions, or money owed, etc.

You have to owe Bank of America A LOT of money to get them to sue you. I may or may not work for a living very closely to this subject matter.

Last edited:
LOL, really? He could NOT afford health insurance with a 173K year income? DOES NOT COMPUTE, in my mind.

He couldn't afford health insurance because he needed that money to pay rent and support his children. Oh, you mean he didn't pay that either? Then he must have needed that money to take classes on financial responsibility. Those classes must have taught him about fraudulently signing other people's names on checks and taking money out of their accounts all on your own with no permission needed.

Can you document they were due to his medical bills or are you just speculating?

That's entirely speculative on your part. If Merrit decides to give an interview or takes the stand we will know how he felt/feels, otherwise, actually, it's not really any of our business.

Can ANYONE afford it? LOL

IF that was his income.. that income does not reflect expenses. Anyone that is self employed is going to have expenses. Gas would be an expense. If he didn't have an office his household bills would be an expense. IF he paid for any supplies... that is an expense. Expenses are deducted from income.

Did anyone watch the Forensic Accountant? Could he not even explain the basics of accounting?

Even if he had expenses, lets cut $173K in half, that's $86,500. That's still MORE than enough for him to be able to afford health insurance. I know people that make less than half of that $86,500 figure, and THEY can afford health insurance.

A business partner of Joseph McStay told homicide detectives that McStay had lent Charles “Chase” Merritt $30,000 to cover a gambling debt, and was planning to fire Merritt from his custom water fountain business, before the McStay family was last seen alive in 2010, according to search warrants released Wednesday.

That info is in the search warrants... it comes from Dan. It doesn't make it true. JMO

On another note... haha San Bernardino Sun... I have figured out how to continue viewing their articles without paying LOL

It also doesn't make it untrue.

Since we haven't heard back from @gitana1, and I'd really like a legal opinion, I'm including @Alethea and @Mercedes. I hope one of these fine attorneys can us with this question.
Not a lawyer but it seems the judge may have answered this question at the motion hearing when the defense tried to claim the financial accountant was retained after trial started.

McGee: But there is a requirement for good cause to give discovery outside of the 30 days before trial.

Judge: That’s true if it’s material they had but it’s obviously not true for new material.

bbm

You have to owe Bank of America A LOT of money to get them to sue you. I may or may not work for a living very closely to this subject matter.

PM and EIP were both named as defendants by Bank of America on 12/31/2009 in a case related to consumer/commercial debt.

Not a lawyer but it seems the judge may have answered this question at the motion hearing when the defense tried to claim the financial accountant was retained after trial started.

McGee: But there is a requirement for good cause to give discovery outside of the 30 days before trial.

Judge: That’s true if it’s material they had but it’s obviously not true for new material.

bbm

After watching that testimony last night, I don't think it matters. He added up things and made charts. I was very disappointed actually (other than being able to see some of his transactions around the time of the murder) and I didn't even make notes LOL it was brutally boring... it took everything for me to not poke my eyes out with a rusty fork. JMO

I'm a little more annoyed with L&C though... I think they cut out some of the objections/arguments with the lawyers, and I like to listen to that stuff. Maybe I missed it, but was wanting to listen to what exactly it was that was just found by the pro's, the cheques or disk of cheques or whatever it was, I am guessing they are the one's written from the bank accounts, the one's that the FA didn't get or have to look at.

I am going to have to go back later and look at the totals and charts again ;-) But why is everyone saying 173k? I didn't see that total in there at all?

PM and EIP were both named as defendants by Bank of America on 12/31/2009 in a case related to consumer/commercial debt.

hmmm In Chase's Dugal interview, he mentions this, that PM called Joey about it and was worried he was still on an EIP account.

@Mica, do we know what happened with that case? If this was PM's problem (which is my understanding right now), I hope they weren't successful against EIP?

Right, but I'm assuming EIP would have been a business account with a higher credit line than your average commercial/personal account. They would definitely sue in that scenario. The average personal account which is pst due enough to be pending charge off averages at around 4 or 5K as far as credit lines go. Let's say that person is 7 months behind and their account is pending to charge off. They more than likely are just writing that off as a bad debt and not suing someone. If you're talking about a business account with upwards of 20-30K or more as a balance, then they are going to sue. Especially considering a business may have more that can be liquidated than your average uncreditworthy citizen.

I'm a little more annoyed with L&C though... I think they cut out some of the objections/arguments with the lawyers, and I like to listen to that stuff. Maybe I missed it, but was wanting to listen to what exactly it was that was just found by the pro's, the cheques or disk of cheques or whatever it was, I am guessing they are the one's written from the bank accounts, the one's that the FA didn't get or have to look at.
rsbm

Was that the argument where Imes was clarifying something about attorney misconduct? I caught a few minutes of that when it was live but I didn't really get the gist of it and I'll have to go back to listen again now the videos are up on YT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member