IL - Actor Jussie Smollett allegedly attacked in hate crime Jan 2019 #4 * ALL CHARGES DROPPED*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been watching Twitter and can safely say with the correct pressure applied to the Network and higher ups they will buy his contract out. Advertisers boycotting has been used successfully for years not that I necessarily always agree but in this case I do.

Empire ratings have basically tanked the past few years and make no mistake the Network and parent company will never allow Empire actors to smudge their reputation especially to coddle a criminal.

JMHO

@BOSCOE do you think that this press exposure will increase ratings in the show?

Normally it might however the Oscars are tonight and I bet many of the folks will skip their dose of Immodium and will be in full run off mode. They can't help themselves. ;-)

This is bigger than Geragos and his criminal. Legions of innocent people were maligned and are not going to forget or forgive this. In other words the rug is not large enough to hide the elephant.

JMHO

I do not wonder at all about how Nigerians 'feel' about anything. They are 100% more Nigerian than me, maybe you too.

Smollett's friends are born and raised in the USA. Any suggestion that they are Iraqi, Swedish, Australian, or Turkish is insulting to all people from those countries. Smollett's buddies are 0% Nigerian.

Every time I see Smollett's friends referred to as Nigerian, I wonder how the Nigerians feel about it. Smollett's friends are not Nigerian. They're USA born and no more Nigerian than the rest of the people born in the USA.

Well one of the brothers has his hometown listed as Lagos on Facebook. Log into Facebook | Facebook

His bio on his college football page says he went to a high school in Nigeria. Olabinjo Osundairo - Football - Quincy University Athletics

On Instagram, Abel Osundairo also posted a picture in traditional Nigerian clothing, writing, “Happy Nigerian Independence Day.” https://www.google.com/amp/s/heavy.com/news/2019/02/abimbola-osundairo-abel/amp/

In February 2018, he wrote, “You can’t afford to miss next week’s episode of Chicago p.d where the hottest Nigerian you know will be guest starring.” https://www.google.com/amp/s/heavy.com/news/2019/02/abimbola-osundairo-abel/amp/

So I think it’s safe to say the brothers consider themselves Nigerian. Perhaps they have dual citizenship. Or maybe they just consider themselves Nigerian. I don’t see why this would bother Nigerians.

The problem I see with this case, and probably the realistic goal of Mark Geragos, is that Geragos will string this out forever. With motions to suppress, all sorts of justifiable antics, just to run down the clock until this is old news.

Smollett will have a trial pending, that means he has not been proven guilty, simply "charged" with a crime. Geragos will argue with Fox/Disney that they cannot fire an actor "charged" with a crime, and Smollett has vehemently denied any wrongdoing. Then, at some point, 3 or 4 years down the road, Geragos will request a dismissal.

Geragos will probably also request that the federal charges against Smollett be pending until the state completes their case. And again, just run the clock down. Just watch. Unless this is fast tracked. It will be interesting to watch.

If JS were himself simply credibly suing someone or some entity, I might agree with you, because Mark Geragos could potentially agree to take the case pending the outcome. But this is not a civil lawsuit-- it's a criminal defense case. There is no financial upside in all this for MG-- only publicity. JS is simply not a tremendously wealthy actor-- he's near the bottom rung, with a net worth (including property, not just cash) of only $500,000- 1 million, per multiple online sources.

That might sound like a lot, but if most of JS's wealth is tied up in property (rental obligations, ownership, possessions), he probably doesn't have a huge pile of cash sitting around. And with the heinous and deeply offensive crimes he's quite credibly charged with, I sincerely doubt that people, contracts, or other financial opportunities will front him lots of cash to pay his rapidly mounting legal bills. His future income potential right now is pretty much zero.

Half a million to 1 million dollars net worth is simply not very wealthy in the big scheme of MG's likely fees (probably at least several hundred, if not thousands of dollars an hour). To say nothing of the huge $$$$ JS will almost certainly be court-ordered to re-pay to the city of Chicago for the investigation, and likely federal fines for the mail fraud charges that will be coming soon.

If representation with MG drags out more than 8 weeks, I predict JS will have to change lawyers because he will not be able to pay his legal fees. Top shelf defense fees for what will, IMO, soon be *multiple* criminal charges, over many months/ years without income, will rapidly bankrupt him. I wouldn't be surprised to see him declare bankruptcy and ask for a court appointed attorney by the summer.

I don't think JS has figured that out yet, either. He is acting like he still thinks he can somehow get out of this and go back to work. His future is very bleak. His talent isn't enough to get him out of this one, or re-build his career in 5-10 years. And he has no one to blame but himself.

One additional thing to keep in mind as we look at what the legal situation JS is facing. JS does not have a "clean" criminal record. IMO, this history will adversely impact any potential negotiations to bust the charges down to misdemeanors. JS has a history of lying to police, and prosecutors don't generally like that.

JS pleaded to giving false information to police in 2007 (he impersonated his brother when accused of DUI-- who does that??), and received 3 years probation for that. Nine years later he hasn't grown up at all, or learned a thing, and is still lying to police. I don't think prosecutors will look favorably on that history when considering whether to offer a plea to lesser charges.

Well one of the brothers has his hometown listed as Lagos on Facebook. Log into Facebook | Facebook

His bio on his college football page says he went to a high school in Nigeria. Olabinjo Osundairo - Football - Quincy University Athletics

On Instagram, Abel Osundairo also posted a picture in traditional Nigerian clothing, writing, “Happy Nigerian Independence Day.” https://www.google.com/amp/s/heavy.com/news/2019/02/abimbola-osundairo-abel/amp/

In February 2018, he wrote, “You can’t afford to miss next week’s episode of Chicago p.d where the hottest Nigerian you know will be guest starring.” https://www.google.com/amp/s/heavy.com/news/2019/02/abimbola-osundairo-abel/amp/

So I think it’s safe to say the brothers consider themselves Nigerian. Perhaps they have dual citizenship. Or maybe they just consider themselves Nigerian. I don’t see why this would bother Nigerians.

Indeed, we live in strange times where anyone can self-identify however they please. Two black men born in the USA can self-identify however they please as well, so does that mean that Smollett is Russian?

Indeed, we live in strange times where anyone can self-identify however they please. Two black men born in the USA can self-identify however they please as well, so does that mean that Smollett is Russian?

Where has he self-identified as Russian? I don't think anything would stop him from doing that seeing how that he's part Russian Jewish.

There is no financial upside in all this for MG-- only publicity. JS is simply not a tremendously wealthy actor-- he's near the bottom rung, with a net worth (including property, not just cash) of only $500,000- 1 million, per multiple online sources.

Someone else may be paying for it, like someone else posted his bond.

I think what is most important about the 2 "Nigerian brothers" is their actions before, during, and after the staged hate hoax crimes. IMO, the 2 have their own pending charges hanging over their heads. They each conspired multiple times with JS to stage a hate hoax crime, then carried it out, and immediately left (fled) the U.S. It sure looks to most reasonable people like the convenience of them going on "vacation" to Nigeria at that particular moment in time, was in part to flee the U.S., and flee from being identified, while the police case was unfolding.

Authorities have given them the chance to fully cooperate in the case against JS, IMO, in order to avoid their own felony charges. If they cooperate fully, IMO, the brothers will be allowed to plead down the road to misdemeanor charges. If they don't, I think prosecutors have told them they will face felony conspiracy charges. That, IMO, is why they have been "released" at this point in time without charges.

I read that the brothers are being kept in an undisclosed hotel, under guard, and that they and JS both have orders not to communicate in any way.

The spin, the spin. Is there no shame? Terrance Howard checks in:
Terrence Howard Breaks Silence On 'Empire' Co-Star Jussie Smollett After Arrest

"He continued: “Stay in your lane and my lane is empathy and love and compassion for someone I’ve called my son for five years. It’s God’s job to judge and it’s ours to love and hope, especially for those that we claim to have loved.”

Maybe his job is to love and hope. I believe the rest of us should use our reasoning powers and call a hoax a hoax - a dangerous hoax to put it mildly

MOO
This is a man that doesn't believe in math. smh
Terrence Howard thinks 1x1 = 2, has a secret system called 'Terryology

Terrence Howard believes one times one equals two

Hmm, I wonder if the Brothers were planning on being gone for several months, or weeks, and willingly came back to the United States after their home was searched by LEO.

If this is true, and the brothers had absolutely nothing to hide, they probably spoke with an attorney who told them to completely tell the truth, and they would not be in trouble. That is interesting. Because if they were guilty, they would have never come back..."Nah, nah, try to extradite us from Nigeria.".

I think what is most important about the 2 "Nigerian brothers" is their actions before, during, and after the staged hate hoax crimes. IMO, the 2 have their own pending charges hanging over their heads. They each conspired multiple times with JS to stage a hate hoax crime, then carried it out, and immediately left (fled) the U.S. It sure looks to most reasonable people like the convenience of them going on "vacation" to Nigeria at that particular moment in time, was in part to flee the U.S., and flee from being identified, while the police case was unfolding.

Authorities have given them the chance to fully cooperate in the case against JS, IMO, in order to avoid their own felony charges. If they cooperate fully, IMO, the brothers will be allowed to plead down the road to misdemeanor charges. If they don't, I think prosecutors have told them they will face felony conspiracy charges. That, IMO, is why they have been "released" at this point in time without charges.

I read that the brothers are being kept in an undisclosed hotel, under guard, and that they and JS both have orders not to communicate in any way.

Is there a link to say they 'fled' the country?
Is there a link to say they also are facing 'pending charges'??

I must have missed an awful lot, didn't see anything about the brothers being charged in this case, presently.

Is this speculation on your part, if so, you should make it clear?

Authorities have not stated that they are 'avoiding their own felony charges'. In fact, I doubt one can 'avoid felony charges' if there is evidence.

Please clarify and add the link to the 'fact' that they are being kept in an undisclosed hotel under guard??

Um I guess maybe this is a regional thing. In my area of the US, people tend to refer to themselves by their ethnicity and ancestry. This seems like an odd debate to me.

Um I guess maybe this is a regional thing. In my area of the US, people tend to refer to themselves by their ethnicity and ancestry. This seems like an odd debate to me.

I have no idea what nationality people's ancestors have. In fact, it's almost a bit rude to ask that question.

How many generations back do people use to claim foreign nationality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member