GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is way out there, and has been on my mind since the murder. I don’t think it has been mentioned.

IIRC, within the week prior to the murders, some guy in the general area of the Dermond’s house, a person advertised gold for sale. Gold bars or whatever form it os sold in.

The next thing in the news was the heinous double murder in the same area. Could Mr. D have sold a few gold bars and no one was aware of it?

Why not? His sons didn’t know exactly every move the parents made? Perhaps the robbers came back and stole their money back or killed them at the time of purchasing the gold.

This sticks in my head of is it connected? Is this the missing piece?

So they had nothing in their stomachs and he was still in bed clothes. Sounds like whoever did this, slept over.
I was wondering about the stomach contents too...
The autopsy reports said:
RD: The stomach contains scant tan-pink fluid.
SD: The stomach is empty.
The 'tan-pink' fluid could conceivably have been tea with milk? Can take on a pinkish/tan color if steeped long enough (regular Orange Pekoe?).. or perhaps even coffee with milk?
And Mrs.D was dressed, while Mr.D was in post/pre-dressed mode.
Wouldn't Mrs.D have coffee/tea/juice/something, if she'd been murdered around same time as Mr.D?

I was wondering about the stomach contents too...
The autopsy reports said:
RD: The stomach contains scant tan-pink fluid.
SD: The stomach is empty.
The 'tan-pink' fluid could conceivably have been tea with milk? Can take on a pinkish/tan color if steeped long enough (regular Orange Pekoe?).. or perhaps even coffee with milk?
And Mrs.D was dressed, while Mr.D was in post/pre-dressed mode.
Wouldn't Mrs.D have coffee/tea/juice/something, if she'd been murdered around same time as Mr.D?

Did they take morning meds daily?
Having managed my mother's meds for a few years most stick to a schedule.

Mr. D.--Maybe tea or grapefruit juice? Iced tea?

Maybe this started in the afternoon. Mrs D. was dressed and maybe Mr.D took his street clothes off to take a nap- maybe that's why Mr. D had tshirt/ boxers/ robe on and the bed was unmade. Maybe he heard a commotion put on his robe and went to investigate...

They were close in age to my parents so I think about how they did things.

JMO

Was there any evidence either victim was restrained and/or gagged? Such as marks from zip ties or adhesive residue on their faces?

I realize the sound of a gun shot wouldn't be totally out of the norm for this area, but even so, I still think it would have been risky to shoot Mr Dermond in a boat on the lake.... and repeatedly hitting Mrs Dermond as forcefully as described while standing in boat would be an unstable method of killing. No, not impossible for either to be killed in a boat but it seems unlikely in my mind. Soooo, now I wonder if they were taken/killed in a home not too far away?? I wonder if locals have been looking over their shoulder?? Or side-eyeing neighbors?? Would they admit it if they did??

Tricia and I traveled to Eatonton yesterday. We went into Lake Oconee as well and looked at the beautiful homes from the Lake, we also spoke to Sheriff Sills for about an hour and half in person. He seems extremely dedicated to the case and also extremely STUMPED. But from what I can tell, it seems as if he has peered into every nook and cranny you could think of.

I’ve spent the last few days reading through this thread starting from the first post. I’m only on #3 at this time. I’ve listened to the podcast and look forward to the next one.

Being that I have not yet finished reading all posts yet exuse me if my thoughts have already been made here.

1- This seems to be some kind of weird mother/daughter thing. Its all so personal and to me, appears directed at SD. I know the Ds have a daughter but I know nothing of her background (yet)

2-I have no doubt this happened Saturday morning, no food in stomachs and SD fully dressed, RD in a robe. One of them opened the door, probably SD as she recognized the person.

3- SS said there was a laptop at the house. What do we know about the laptop. Was it on the kitchen table. Was it online?

Glad to join in on the conversation, I’ll continue to read through all the old post. Reading through it from the beginning does make me feel like I’m right there as it is all happening. The only downfall is that most of the MSM links no longer work, frustrating!

I've binged on the ID Channel today.
Last, but not least, is the new series "Killing Time".

The D murders will not be solved unless there is a detailed timeline before the murders.
I know one must exist in SS office. But we don't have one, do we?

Where is the intersection of the D's and the murderers? Where did their paths cross in May 2014? Before?

I need an Atlanta blizzard! And I think I need to start at the beginning.

JMO

Regarding on the Dermond's crossing paths with their murderers...

Sheriff Sills told me and Tricia that the Dermond's rarely socialized with anyone outside of the Great Waters/Reynolds Plantation area. That Mrs. Dermond went to her bridge club meetings and they both went to Church. He said Mr. Dermond did most of the shopping and that he purchased everything, even small purchases on his credit card (for the points) and that they did not lead extremely active social lives.

He also said most of their friends were shocked to find out they were in their 80's because most of the people they socialized with at Church/Bridge were in their 70's.

He also said they were not that active around the home. That they basically lived in their bedroom, kitchen and living room.

It is hard to imagine them pissing anyone off. Are they going to get someone mad at Church or would a feud erupt over a game of bridge? It's hard to wrap your mind around it.

When we were in Eatonton, it was like two different towns, the homes on Lake Oconee, all grand, the residents obviously being well off and then the others were like your typical rural Georgia homes. Blue collar. I bet that the two groups rarely mix.

Last edited:
Beautiful home and property. Delisted meaning taken off market due to unable to sell? Lower price?

I have no idea why. It was sold by the D estate in 2015. Interesting to me it was listed...maybe too much notoriety to sell, now that there was another heinous murder across the way.

JMO

I know the Dermond kids sold the home about a year after the murders. Was this property listed by the new owners?
It seems it was only listed for sale one time since the D's first had the home built back in 1999, and that it sold after 5 months for substantially less than the listing price. I wonder who bought it? It seems from looking , that the Ds had vacant building lots on either side of them? (I can't find a house or lot listing for what would be next door, at 145 Carolyn Drive?). I think 'delisted' means it isn't listed with MLS any longer (because it was sold back in 2015).

Date Event Price
Agents
4/30/2015 Sold $650,000 -15.5%
Maryanne Winchester
Source: Public Record
$/sqft: $118
Seller's Agent: Maryanne Winchester
------
11/27/2014 Listed for sale $769,000 --
Source: Atlanta Fine Homes Sotheby's International Realty
$/sqft: $140

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/147-Carolyn-Dr-Eatonton-GA-31024/110310631_zpid/
----
Also this info on values on surrounding homes:
This Home : 147 Carolyn Dr Est. $766,000
This property was sold once in the last 4 years.
Today: Estimated at $766,000
May 6, 2015: Sold for $650,100
----
143 Carolyn Dr, Eatonton, GA 31024 $1,259,800
143 Carolyn Dr, Eatonton, GA 31024 is a single family home built in 2000. This property was last sold for $1,295,000 in 2018 and currently has an estimated value of $1,263,200.
----
141 Carolyn Dr, Eatonton, GA 31024 $931,867
141 Carolyn Dr, Eatonton, GA 31024 is a single family home built in 2002.
----
135 Carolyn Dr, Eatonton, GA 31024 $797,500
135 Carolyn Dr, Eatonton, GA 31024 is a single family home built in 1994. This property was last sold for $815,000 in 2017 and currently has an estimated value of $1,094,500.
----
129 Carolyn Dr, Eatonton, GA 31024 $887,300
129 Carolyn Dr, Eatonton, GA 31024 is a single family home built in 1994.

Check out the home I found in Eatonton
----
This one said:

Property History for 147 Carolyn Drive, Eatonton
Status Date Price Change Source
Contingent With Kickout Apr 20, 2015 — —
logo_421.png
# 07369803
Listed Nov 24, 2014 $769,000 —
logo_421.png
# 07369803
147 Carolyn Dr, Eatonton, GA 31024 MLS# 07369803 - Movoto.com
----
This explains what 'contingent with NO kickout' means
"What Does Contingent With No Kick-Out Mean? A Clause That Affects Your Offer

It seems it was only listed for sale one time since the D's first had the home built back in 1999, and that it sold after 5 months for substantially less than the listing price. I wonder who bought it? It seems from looking , that the Ds had vacant building lots on either side of them? (I can't find a house or lot listing for what would be next door, at 145 Carolyn Drive?). I think 'delisted' means it isn't listed with MLS any longer (because it was sold back in 2015).

Date Event Price
Agents
4/30/2015 Sold $650,000 -15.5%
Maryanne Winchester
Source: Public Record
$/sqft: $118
Seller's Agent: Maryanne Winchester
------
11/27/2014 Listed for sale $769,000 --
Source: Atlanta Fine Homes Sotheby's International Realty
$/sqft: $140

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/147-Carolyn-Dr-Eatonton-GA-31024/110310631_zpid/
----
Also this info on values on surrounding homes:
This Home : 147 Carolyn Dr Est. $766,000
This property was sold once in the last 4 years.
Today: Estimated at $766,000
May 6, 2015: Sold for $650,100
----
143 Carolyn Dr, Eatonton, GA 31024 $1,259,800
143 Carolyn Dr, Eatonton, GA 31024 is a single family home built in 2000. This property was last sold for $1,295,000 in 2018 and currently has an estimated value of $1,263,200.
----
141 Carolyn Dr, Eatonton, GA 31024 $931,867
141 Carolyn Dr, Eatonton, GA 31024 is a single family home built in 2002.
----
135 Carolyn Dr, Eatonton, GA 31024 $797,500
135 Carolyn Dr, Eatonton, GA 31024 is a single family home built in 1994. This property was last sold for $815,000 in 2017 and currently has an estimated value of $1,094,500.
----
129 Carolyn Dr, Eatonton, GA 31024 $887,300
129 Carolyn Dr, Eatonton, GA 31024 is a single family home built in 1994.

Check out the home I found in Eatonton
----
This one said:

Property History for 147 Carolyn Drive, Eatonton
Status Date Price Change Source
Contingent With Kickout Apr 20, 2015 — —
logo_421.png
# 07369803
Listed Nov 24, 2014 $769,000 —
logo_421.png
# 07369803
147 Carolyn Dr, Eatonton, GA 31024 MLS# 07369803 - Movoto.com
----
This explains what 'contingent with NO kickout' means
"What Does Contingent With No Kick-Out Mean? A Clause That Affects Your Offer
House information and sale transfers:
qPublic.net - Putnam County, GA

Tricia and I traveled to Eatonton yesterday. We went into Lake Oconee as well and looked at the beautiful homes from the Lake, we also spoke to Sheriff Sills for about an hour and half in person. He seems extremely dedicated to the case and also extremely STUMPED. But from what I can tell, it seems as if he has peered into every nook and cranny you could think of.

Does Sills have a detective section that is actually handling the case or is he doing everything by himself?

Selling a Georgia Home: What Are My Disclosure Obligations?

A Georgia seller does not need to inform a buyer if any diseased person ever lived in the home, or if a homicide, felony, suicide, or any other death occurred there (Georgia Official Code Annotated §44-1-16(a)(1)). Additionally, it is up to the buyer to investigate certain information about the neighborhood where the home is located.

Sheriff Sills told me and Tricia that the Dermond's rarely socialized with anyone outside of the Great Waters/Reynolds Plantation area. That Mrs. Dermond went to her bridge club meetings and they both went to Church. He said Mr. Dermond did most of the shopping and that he purchased everything, even small purchases on his credit card (for the points) and that they did not lead extremely active social lives.

He also said most of their friends were shocked to find out they were in their 80's because most of the people they socialized with at Church/Bridge were in their 70's.

He also said they were not that active around the home. That they basically lived in their bedroom, kitchen and living room.

It is hard to imagine them pissing anyone off. Are they going to get someone mad at Church or would a feud erupt over a game of bridge? It's hard to wrap your mind around it.

When we were in Eatonton, it was like two different towns, the homes on Lake Oconee, all grand, the residents obviously being well off and then the others were like your typical rural Georgia homes. Blue collar. I bet that the two groups rarely mix.
Hi Levi. Did SS say if RD did his own lawn care, did he have a lawn service, or is lawn maintenance covered by HOA?

In the Podcast Sworn, SS said that a phone number was found in RDs notes for a concrete contractor. RD needed a crack in the driveway repaired but he had not yet contacted the contractor and SS cleared the contractor. Makes me think that the Ds were preparing to put the property on the market to move into senior living, assisted living or something similar.

Did SS mention anything about the Ds preparing to move? Any mention of other contractors who may have visited the house to give quotes to the Ds for needed work to the house?

SS told you and Tricia that they were no longer active in their own home and limited their activity to just a few rooms. This tells me they were most likely thinking it was time to move from the big house to something more manageable. My occupation is in the Real Estate field (not a realtor) and I see this all the time. Its seems to be a natural progression that older folks enjoy most of their retirement in their dream home and at some point realize that things are getting harder for them, especially stairs and upkeep and start making plans to downsize which includes making all of those little repairs necessary to sell the house. Especially a house in this neighborhood where a buyer would expect certain upgrades and maintenance in order to pay full price.

What did he say about the bank employees/customers? Surveillance?

Hi Levi. Did SS say if RD did his own lawn care, did he have a lawn service, or is lawn maintenance covered by HOA?

In the Podcast Sworn, SS said that a phone number was found in RDs notes for a concrete contractor. RD needed a crack in the driveway repaired but he had not yet contacted the contractor and SS cleared the contractor. Makes me think that the Ds were preparing to put the property on the market to move into senior living, assisted living or something similar.

Did SS mention anything about the Ds preparing to move? Any mention of other contractors who may have visited the house to give quotes to the Ds for needed work to the house?

SS told you and Tricia that they were no longer active in their own home and limited their activity to just a few rooms. This tells me they were most likely thinking it was time to move from the big house to something more manageable. My occupation is in the Real Estate field (not a realtor) and I see this all the time. Its seems to be a natural progression that older folks enjoy most of their retirement in their dream home and at some point realize that things are getting harder for them, especially stairs and upkeep and start making plans to downsize which includes making all of those little repairs necessary to sell the house. Especially a house in this neighborhood where a buyer would expect certain upgrades and maintenance in order to pay full price.
I am lightyears younger than the Ds, however now that our 2 boys are 'adults', I find that we only use a few rooms in our house too. Just no need for such a big place. And my place is nowhere near as large as what it sounds like the Ds' house was.
I know there was talk amongst some people way back in the beginning, wondering if the couple had a cleaning lady/service, as the place was so large, and was kept so clean (according to SS). Even if rooms aren't necessarily used, they still require cleaning! And although they lived in a golf course community, Mr.D no longer played golf, and they no longer had a boat to go out and enjoy the water. Plus, in the last podcast SS noted that Mrs.D had been suffering from some 'infirmities'. Certainly sounds like the couple was ripe to move into something perhaps a little smaller/more manageable, whether or not they had started to prepare for that process seems to be unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd