Found Deceased AL - Amberly Barnett, 11, Mt. Vernon, DeKalb County, 1 Mar 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re self harm: if that was the case, why not disclose?

My take on it is this - if an 11 year old is found dead, there will be a very thorough investigation before suicide can be determined. If it is, a lot of catalysing factors come into play that need equally detailed investigation (an 11 year old suicide cannot in any way be compared to an adult - for example, a history of sexual abuse, bullying or family mental abuse is usually a catalyst in child suicide, ie murder by proxy, versus depression, money problems or other adult life events that lead to suicidal thinking). If she was found in a condition that clearly points to homicide, such as in a burn pit, then we should be annoyed LE has not reassured the public. - but that may be because they actually can't as there is not enough evidence otherwise. They would keep such details of her condition secret to avoid unnecessary impact to the family and to deter media speculation if that condition is shocking or confusing. If minors are suspect, there is that to consider as well.

FWIW I think she was murdered.

Has anyone else checked the Dekalb county’s sheriff’s office arrest log? There are several arrested 3/2 but one is being held for agency. That generally means feds, right? So hypothetically, if she was taken over state lines, feds would be brought in. Correct. Sorry if this breaks any rules. I’ve been a member for a long time. Back in the Brittany wood time, but I’ve rarely posted and I know rules have changed drastically.

An agency hold isnt necessarily feds. For an example, Cherokee county might have an arrest warrant out for John Doe. They get word hes with a relative in Dekalb county. They ring up dekalb and say hey grab this guy for us, we will come get him Tuesday. Or a traffic stop might show an outstanding warrant. So they will hold him until the other agency comes after him.

A lot of stress and tragedy in this family. I'm addition to Amberly's mother needing to leave her kids with other people, she had Amberly as a teenager, and her own mother was also murdered. I wonder if they caught the person responsible for that murder, and what the circumstances were?

https://heavy.com/news/2019/03/amberly-barnett/

I hadn't posted for ages until I got caught up in this case. So, I dont know if heavy is considered MSM and allowed? But that comment her mom made about her missing 15 hours raised my eyebrows. Not in a suspicious way. Just the fact her body had been recovered by then according to LE.<modsnipped> :(

Last edited by a moderator:
So senseless and tragic - heart breaks for her family.

I think this is an abduction and murder. Self harm sounds very unlikely.<modsnipped>

I still wonder if it was <modsnipped> someone known to the family given the tight timeline from when she vanished to when she was found. 12 hours total is very compact - you almost never see that.

A lot of stress and tragedy in this family. I'm addition to Amberly's mother needing to leave her kids with other people, she had Amberly as a teenager, and her own mother was also murdered. I wonder if they caught the person responsible for that murder, and what the circumstances were?

Sounds like February was a stressful month. Wonder why the sudden move - need a place ASAP? To get away from someone?

So senseless and tragic - heart breaks for her family.

I think this is an abduction and murder. Self harm sounds very unlikely. <modsnipped>

I still wonder if it was <modsnipped> someone known to the family given the tight timeline from when she vanished to when she was found. 12 hours total is very compact - you almost never see that.

I think it is highly unlikely this was as stranger abduction/murder :(.

MOO

I was leaning towards self inflicted, or something involving peers and/bullying based on her Instagram, but I'm thrown by the horrifying comments....
Maybe there is a known camp or cabin in that wooded area associated with a green van or SUV?
I don’t think the Instagram photos mean anything ... just from what I’ve seen with my grandchildren - which I ask about - it’s silly rather than suicidal. Of course it might not apply to this child in this case but she appears self assured.
I’m leaning toward “someone she knew” killed her and that along with the manner of death is why the Sheriff is so ‘heartbroken.’

Wow... that was interesting. Thanks for the link!
Her grandmother murdered and no one was ever charged??? Now...this beautiful child who seemed much older than her years. There is another IG account where she’s talking to her little brother and her dog. She was precious. :(

Last edited:
Thoughts...
How far away was the uncle from the house? Is it wooded so can’t be seen?

And the green van pulled up in the driveway? I think the drive was gravel, so that would have made some noise.

Amberly would have been watching over her two younger siblings?
(Brother and sister have both been mentioned)
Her aunt had left at dusk and her uncle was working at the neighbors house.

Thoughts...
How far away was the uncle from the house? Is it wooded so can’t be seen?

And the green van pulled up in the driveway? I think the drive was gravel, so that would have made some noise.

Amberly would have been watching over her two younger siblings?
(Brother and sister have both been mentioned)
Her aunt had left at dusk and her uncle was working at the neighbors house.
I am only aware of a younger brother and I haven’t seen it mentioned if any other children were at aunts house ?

My take on it is this - if an 11 year old is found dead, there will be a very thorough investigation before suicide can be determined. If it is, a lot of catalysing factors come into play that need equally detailed investigation (an 11 year old suicide cannot in any way be compared to an adult - for example, a history of sexual abuse, bullying or family mental abuse is usually a catalyst in child suicide, ie murder by proxy, versus depression, money problems or other adult life events that lead to suicidal thinking). If she was found in a condition that clearly points to homicide, such as in a burn pit, then we should be annoyed LE has not reassured the public. - but that may be because they actually can't as there is not enough evidence otherwise. They would keep such details of her condition secret to avoid unnecessary impact to the family and to deter media speculation if that condition is shocking or confusing. If minors are suspect, there is that to consider as well.

FWIW I think she was murdered.
Oh my...

IF.... AND I SAY IF.... BECAUSE I HAVE NO WAY OF KNOWING...
minors are responsible for her demise...

that sets a whole new set of complications in this investigation...

I don’t think the Instagram photos mean anything ... just from what I’ve seen with my grandchildren - which I ask about - it’s silly rather than suicidal. Of course it might not apply to this child in this case but she appears self assured.
I’m leaning toward “someone she knew” killed her and that along with the manner of death is why the Sheriff is so ‘heartbroken.’

I agree. My initial reaction to her Instagram was possible self harm based on the comments about life being fragile, and the references to bullying. I no longer feel this is what happened.

I think she was likely vulnerable though, but I'm not sure beyond that. This doesn't feel like a complete stranger snatched her. Maybe there is some sort of situation related to the other murder? Why would get grandmother be murdered, and the kilker(s) be "getting away with it"?

Something strange is going on, IMO. Very sad. Can't help reading the details and wishing the poor child had been moved to Georgia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea