OH OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 April 2006 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still think that he attempted to follow the band but got lost while attempting to take the service elevator downstairs and ended up in the construction area, where he ultimately became entombed. That simple solution fits the evidence far better than any other theory that's been offered.

If it's just a simple accident, why was Clint not very straightforward in the the aftermath? Also I read that Clint spent a long time in Brian's apartment after the latter went missing. It seems to suggest either knowledge or involvement of Clint.

If it's just a simple accident, why was Clint not very straightforward in the the aftermath? Also I read that Clint spent a long time in Brian's apartment after the latter went missing. It seems to suggest either knowledge or involvement of Clint.
On what basis do you assert that Clint was 'not very straightforward'? This dead horse gets beaten over and over. Det. Hurst in comeback podcast (episode 2) has stated that Clint was cooperative. Clint voluntarily submitted to a police interview. Clint also spoke with media. When Brian remained missing and media and cops came sniffing, Clint put an attorney between himself and cops/media. Nothing odd about that, it makes good sense. Lotta innocent folks been convicted and also hounded and abused and mis-quoted by media. Det. Hurst himself noted most attorneys would advise clients not to take a lie detector test, and Clint's attorney advised Clint not to.

Also in comeback podcast (episode 4), Don Corbett, the private detective working for Randy Shaffer noted that story that Clint was at Brian's apartment the morning of 4/1/06 is total b.s., that Hurst told him it is not true, didn't happen.

You might check out the podcasts. They're pretty informative, and interesting for those trying to figure out what may have happened to Brian Shaffer.

Listen to ComeBack - A True Crime Podcast

Last edited:

When LE are leaning pretty hard on you, you feel compelled to get a lawyer... and that is regardless of innocence or guilt. I think one of the reasons that people get suspicious when someone in Clint's position decides to lawyer up, is that they will never appreciate what that position is actually like unless it ever happens to them too.

On what basis do you assert that Clint was 'not very straightforward'? This dead horse gets beaten over and over. Det. Hurst in comeback podcast (episode 2) has stated that Clint was cooperative. Clint voluntarily submitted to a police interview. Clint also spoke with media. When Brian remained missing and media and cops came sniffing, Clint put an attorney between himself and cops/media. Nothing odd about that, it makes good sense. Lotta innocent folks been convicted and also hounded and abused and mis-quoted by media. Det. Hurst himself noted most attorneys would advise clients not to take a lie detector test, and Clint's attorney advised Clint not to.

Yes. This.

In addition to the above (most important) point, I’ll throw out another possibility—something illegal could have been happening (drugs?), and it is possible Clint does not want to be forthcoming because he has knowledge of illegal things, though that doesn’t mean he has any idea what happened to Brian. It’s completely speculation obviously, but so often there are drugs involved in disappearances or accidents. It seems plausible with the circumstances of that night.

Yes. This.

In addition to the above (most important) point, I’ll throw out another possibility—something illegal could have been happening (drugs?), and it is possible Clint does not want to be forthcoming because he has knowledge of illegal things,..

Yeah, but Clint was forthcoming. He submitted to police interview. He spoke with media. Police searched the home where he was staying and his car, because Brian was out with him when Brian disappeared. He told what he knew, and then instead of being interviewed and interrogated in perpetuity, he said 'talk to my attorney'. Anyone who's ever watched a few crime shows knows - whether you're the perp or not - when the cops ask you to come in and sit in the little room with the cams for an interview, you decline the invitation and say talk to my attorney. Talk to the cops, ya wind up on a 48 Hours episode! Yet, Clint did (according to Det. Hurst) submit to an interview. He did more than I'd have done.

Clint could be the perp. To me, just seems like the guy was in the wrong place at the wrong time. And as far as that goes, there's just as much a chance that Meredith Reed is the perp, too. If there is a perp. I don't know of any reason to think there was...

Last edited:
There's a few more questions I have been thinking about recently. I might stick with just one at a time or it will be difficult for people to respond, so in this post I'll just stick to my recent thoughts on the CCTV footage.

I was watching the footage from the top of the escalator again, but trying to focus on everything around Brian or in the background, rather than on Brian himself. I ended up watching the group of guys chatting to each other, who in the footage appear just to the left of Brian on the screen (this being when Brian was chatting to Brightan and Amber). At one point, one of those guys turns all the way around to look at Brian.

I'm not pointing this guy out because I think he's a perp of any kind. To me it looks like Brian must have exclaimed something pretty loudly, called out to someone, or swore etc... anything that just couldn't fail to get the attention of the person next to him. There's no further interaction on camera after that, and the guy I'm talking about just goes back to his conversation.

Oddly enough, after I watched this (and made a mental note to post about it on here) I went to the Find Brian Shaffer FB page, and the most recent post was about this very aspect of the footage. I hadn't even seen that post beforehand, it's just a coincidence, but wow (I mean I went straight from YouTube to FB within minutes with that very thing on my mind). Anyway, after that I looked at historical internet posts on various sites, and this has been mentioned a few times over the years.

I'm wondering if LE ever identified and talked to that guy, even if just for the sake of gathering more information about Brian's state of mind at the time. Watch the manner in which the guy turns around... most of us have probably been outside a nightclub at that hour when there's been that one pretty tanked patron who's behaving in a way that makes us turn around like that.

In that footage, Brian potentially interacts with (or at least draws attention from) three people, and we know all about two of them. Why not that one? It's not insignificant, because whatever caught this person's attention is one of the last things Brian would be known to have said or done.

Yeah, but Clint was forthcoming. He submitted to police interview. He spoke with media. Police searched the home where he was staying and his car, because Brian was out with him when Brian disappeared. He told what he knew, and then instead of being interviewed and interrogated in perpetuity, he said 'talk to my attorney'. Anyone who's ever watched a few crime shows knows - whether you're the perp or not - when the cops ask you to come in and sit in the little room with the cams for an interview, you decline the invitation and say talk to my attorney. Talk to the cops, ya wind up on a 48 Hours episode! Yet, Clint did (according to Det. Hurst) submit to an interview. He did more than I'd have done.

Clint could be the perp. To me, just seems like the guy was in the wrong place at the wrong time. And as far as that goes, there's just as much a chance that Meredith Reed is the perp, too. If there is a perp. I don't know of any reason to think there was...

I agree.....but I guess my point is simply that there are plenty of plausible reasons why Clint doesn’t want to talk to police. These include:
1. He has told everything he knows and has since been advised to no longer talk by his attorney
2. He doesn’t want to talk because of his knowledge of other illegal activity, such as drug activity, happening that night.

I don’t think we can say that we know as fact that he was forthcoming. We know he talked to police at one point, before he stopped. I disagree that means he necessarily communicated the full and exact truth.

Having said that, my point is simply that there are several scenarios that can explain why he stopped talking to police, and both (above) are far more plausible than Clint being the perpetrator of Brian’s disappearance.

There's a few more questions I have been thinking about recently. I might stick with just one at a time or it will be difficult for people to respond, so in this post I'll just stick to my recent thoughts on the CCTV footage.

I was watching the footage from the top of the escalator again, but trying to focus on everything around Brian or in the background, rather than on Brian himself. I ended up watching the group of guys chatting to each other, who in the footage appear just to the left of Brian on the screen (this being when Brian was chatting to Brightan and Amber). At one point, one of those guys turns all the way around to look at Brian.

I'm not pointing this guy out because I think he's a perp of any kind. To me it looks like Brian must have exclaimed something pretty loudly, called out to someone, or swore etc... anything that just couldn't fail to get the attention of the person next to him. There's no further interaction on camera after that, and the guy I'm talking about just goes back to his conversation.

Oddly enough, after I watched this (and made a mental note to post about it on here) I went to the Find Brian Shaffer FB page, and the most recent post was about this very aspect of the footage. I hadn't even seen that post beforehand, it's just a coincidence, but wow (I mean I went straight from YouTube to FB within minutes with that very thing on my mind). Anyway, after that I looked at historical internet posts on various sites, and this has been mentioned a few times over the years.

I'm wondering if LE ever identified and talked to that guy, even if just for the sake of gathering more information about Brian's state of mind at the time. Watch the manner in which the guy turns around... most of us have probably been outside a nightclub at that hour when there's been that one pretty tanked patron who's behaving in a way that makes us turn around like that.

In that footage, Brian potentially interacts with (or at least draws attention from) three people, and we know all about two of them. Why not that one? It's not insignificant, because whatever caught this person's attention is one of the last things Brian would be known to have said or done.

Agree this would be useful. Unfortunately, the only people present that night who the media specifically mention police talked to are Clint, Meredith, the band, Brightan, and Amber (am I forgetting anyone?). You’d think they would want to talk to anyone who has any recollection of Brian that night, and perhaps they did, but we may never know.

I think it is time that LE makes more information public. I doubt they are getting new leads at this point, and sometimes releasing more information can help to end a stall.

I agree.....but I guess my point is simply that there are plenty of plausible reasons why Clint doesn’t want to talk to police. These include:
1. He has told everything he knows and has since been advised to no longer talk by his attorney
2. He doesn’t want to talk because of his knowledge of other illegal activity, such as drug activity, happening that night.

I don’t think we can say that we know as fact that he was forthcoming. We know he talked to police at one point, before he stopped. I disagree that means he necessarily communicated the full and exact truth.

Having said that, my point is simply that there are several scenarios that can explain why he stopped talking to police, and both (above) are far more plausible than Clint being the perpetrator of Brian’s disappearance.
Understood. I don't know for a fact that Clint was fully forthcoming. I don't know of anything that indicates he was not. As far as I know, Clint was forthcoming. Per Sgt. Hurst, Clint consented to and sat for police interview. Per Sgt. Hurst in Comeback Podcast, Clint 'cooperated with us' (that is verbatim from Sgt. Hurst, Comeback Podcast episode 4) until point where he, on sensible advice of his counsel, declined to submit to polygraph test. Some might argue that to decline a polygraph is to not be forthcoming. I'd argue that declining a polygraph is reasonable and sensible. They're not reliable anyways, and pretty much worthless except as a tool for LE to play games with a suspect. I can understand why LE likes to use polygraphs. I can understand why attorneys routinely advise clients against taking polygraphs.

Hey everyone! I have a new episode out on Brian on the Missing In Ohio Podcast. There are a couple of new details. Plus we will be doing a live Q & A on The Missing in Ohio Podcast Group Page on Wednesday at 8p.m.

Can I send you a couple of questions ahead of time @Looking4Brian ? I'm in a different time zone, I've just done the math and figured out that I can't possibly make it online at that time. I would have gotten up at any time of the night, but unfortunately it's the one time that I actually have to be somewhere else.

Here's a link. Scroll down to the bottom to click on link to the audio....

Chapter Eight: the Disappearance of Brian Shaffer

So I listened to this entire podcast. Very, very nicely done, professional. Just superb. Several people well versed in the case provide their theories/opinions, which is great. I learned several new things:

1) Last person chatting with Brian was Amber Ruic, under (and thus out of view of) the surveillance cam. Would be very curious to know details of their conversation. Brightan goes to the bathroom, returns, then the girls leave, and Brian then apparently promptly (right before Clint and Meredith stopped searching the bar for Brian and went down the escalator) headed for the 'construction area', and within minutes his phone was going straight to voicemail.
2) Meredith and Clint had 'iron-clad alibis'.
3) Review of BS's phone records reveal that there were five other individuals (four med students and one out-of-town friend of one of those students) partying with Brian and Clint at the UTS the night Brian disappeared! Brian's last phone call was to one of those individuals (the out-of-town friend)! They were not asked to take polygraphs!
4) Brian's hotmail account is still active and appears to have been used in 2017 from an IP address at a med school in Italy!
5) There is some analysis of the Hilliard cell phone ping, suggesting that the ping may not have been a glitch but rather may have been result of Brian's phone having been powered on at that time in late 2006.

Other thoughts:
1) Lori's theory is that Brian met with foul play after leaving UTS and is likely deceased. She notes it would seem unlikely for an intelligent man like Brian to 'booze it up' on night he plans to vanish, and Lori does not believe Brian ran off to a new life. Good observation.
2) Jim's view is that Brian was unhappy, may have been planning to leave for quite some time, and may have run off to a new life. Noted that Brian had visited Puerto Rico while he was seeing Alexis. Noted that Brian may have been involved with another woman while he was seeing Alexis.
3) The podcast hostess seems to lean toward the opinion that Brian may have run off to a new life. She completely discredits the theory that Brian may have died an accidental fall in construction area and inadvertently been buried and subsequently entombed under concrete floor.

I personally find the notion that Brian ran off to a new life and has avoided detection and contact all these years simply ludicrous. I continue to believe that what most likely happened is that Brian bade farewell to Amber and Brightan, bailed on Clint and Meredith by heading for the lower level construction area (as Sgt. Hurst suggests) moments before Clint and Meredith exited the UTS, in his drunken state stumbled into a trench in the 'completely dug up' and treacherous construction area with fill collapsing in on and immobilizing and suffocating him and immediately eliminating reception to his cell phone, and was within days likely inadvertently/unknowingly entombed when concrete flooring was poured. Dead before Clint and Meredith even pulled out of the garage, and his remains there to this day. Hard to believe? Sure, but it explains why the guy who disappeared that morn was not seen leaving the building, didn't appear on area cams, body never found, and never a single sign of life outside the building for 12+ long years and running. And it doesn't require a well executed street homicide, doesn't need an inexplicably evil and homicidal Clint, an inexplicable suicide, and is not nearly as hard to believe as the ran-off-to-Margaritaville, waited to until after finals and pulled it off while drunk, avoided all cams, funds untouched, dumped his bro and dad and beautiful GF, and avoided all detection for many many years. It is a huge insult to Brian to suggest that he may have pulled such a stunt and crushed those near and dear and left them hanging. I understand the desire to wish Brian alive and happy somewhere, but come on...

All that said, I would like to know nature of Brian's convo with Amber, his mindset at the time (if he was say, light-hearted, or even looking to circle back with Amber/Brightan that shoots down the great-escape theory), and learn what the four med-students and friend might have to say about that night....

Last edited:
Just as Itsrak said... great podcast. I could hear every word as clear as a bell. So much work must have gone into gathering all this information, and producing this quality audio. I hope that something really good comes of it.

Just yesterday I had posted on here that I had some new questions, and I was going to space out those posts to avoid writing a really long one. One of the questions I hadn't gotten to yet has been answered, as well as it can be, in this podcast. I had been reading up on the case more than usual over the last fortnight, and I got to the point where the ringing cell phone and tower ping, really started to bother me. In fact, I felt like I couldn't accept the glitch explanation anymore. I looked back to a previous post in this thread, where the chances of dying in certain ways (murder, suicide, accident) were broken down into actual statistics. I thought... well so long as we're breaking things down into ones and zeros, if a phone rings and pings a tower... what are the chances that the phone is switched on, as opposed to there being a "glitch"? I didn't know what the percentage would be if I had an exact answer to that question... but I did think it would likely be a number that would make us abandon the glitch theory.

I had also recently been looking at the available information from the angle of Brian still being alive. It's not a theory I ever believed or discounted... but I have already put a lot of thought into the construction site accident theory (and still do), so basically I set out to play devil's advocate with myself. And when I re-listened to the voicemail that Brian left Alexis that night, even though she said he sounded fine when she called him back... he didn't sound 100% fine to me. The voicemail sounded a little "final" for a message to a girlfriend you're going to be talking to again the next day. His cousin described him as a chameleon... Brian had obviously struggled to truly find himself, and had made a few attempts at reinvention in the past. If he did take off, he had only just described a desire to do so weeks beforehand (when he asked Alexis to runaway with him). Now there's possibly email account activity. And if he did purposely disappear after a lot of planning, had he conducted enough surveillance on the area to know the shortest route from the bar into a vehicle, without being in view of a camera?

There's a list of "whys" and "why nots" for every theory. And then there's the list of "buts" to explain away the "why nots". I'm really just saying that it's just as easy to do when you're talking about the possibility of Brian being alive.

It is a huge insult to Brian to suggest that he may have pulled such a stunt and crushed those near and dear and left them hanging.

On that... since I have made a post speculating about Brian being alive, I should say that I personally wouldn't attach any judgement to it if it turns out to be true. I can't know or understand what it was like to be him at that time in his life.

All that said, I would like to know nature of Brian's convo with Amber, his mindset at the time (if he was say, light-hearted, or even looking to circle back with Amber/Brightan that shoots down the great-escape theory), and learn what the four med-students and friend might have to say about that night....

Those med students, who were just a bunch of guys out on the town in 2006, are probably doctors now. Some may even be specialists. If they've built a name for themselves practicing medicine, and have thus far avoided their names getting attached to a high profile missing persons case... they may be some of the least forthcoming people you could find.

3) The podcast hostess seems to lean toward the opinion that Brian may have run off to a new life. She completely discredits the theory that Brian may have died an accidental fall in construction area and inadvertently been buried and subsequently entombed under concrete floor.
That tells me that the podcast isn't worth listening to.

Did Brian Shaffer simply walk away? From a beautiful GF, a planned vacay. From a promising career. From his savings account. From his unpaid bills. From his student loan obligations. From his father, who'd just lost his wife. From his bro, who'd just lost his mum. From the insurance money coming his way. From his car. From his clothes. From his billfold and its contents. From his keys. From everything but what he was wearing.

Was this med student that reckless?

Did it bother Brian to know his dear old dad was spending his free time wading the Olentangy, doing everything he could to find his boy? That his GF was hanging at his apartment like a fawn standing roadside next to the body of its mother? That even his idol Eddie Vedder was left hanging?

Was the guy that cruel? That heartless?

And the way he pulled it off, vanishing w/o a trace. Out with friends, drunk, closing time... OK, zero-hour, time to put the plan into effect... Twelve years later, no trace.

Was the guy Houdini?

Please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members