NJ NJ - Joan Kramer, 24, Columbia Univ. student, found nude & strangled, Union, 15 August 1972

mousers3

Reaction score
hi, i am new here and very happy to find this site. i am a retired counselor living on the coast of Maine with my partner and currently two wonderful pussy cats.

i went to grades 3-9 with Joan Kramer and was so shocked when she was found murdered in East Orange NJ sometime in the 1970s i believe. i never got to read the newspaper reports and have been unable to find them. any info about this or suggestions of where to search would be greatly appreciated.

hi, i am new here and very happy to find this site. i am a retired counselor living on the coast of Maine with my partner and currently two wonderful pussy cats.

i went to grades 3-9 with Joan Kramer and was so shocked when she was found murdered in East Orange NJ sometime in the 1970s i believe. i never got to read the newspaper reports and have been unable to find them. any info about this or suggestions of where to search would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome to Ws mouser3!
Just now started a thread for Joan Kramer..
NJ - Joan Kramer, 24, Columbia University student,Union Township, found nude&strangled, 15 August 1972

Also,Joan Kramer is mentioned in a post on a thread concerning LISK, ( Long Island Serial Killer).
RL="Cases possibly of interest for the LISK case"]Cases possibly of interest for the LISK case[/URL]

Last edited:
By EMANUEL PERLMUTTERJAN. 12, 1975
JERSEYAN SEIZED M STRANGULATION
"A 40‐year‐old Maplewood, N. J., accountant has been arrested and charged with the murder of 24‐year‐old Joan Kramer, whose nude body was found
Aug. 28, 1972, in water‐filled ditch in Union Township. N. J.

The suspect was identified yesterday by Assistant Prosecutor Anthony Mautone of Essex County as Otto N. Nilson. He was picked up late*Friday night at his home at 173 Maplewood Avenue, which also served as his accounting office. He is to be arraigned tomorrow in Essex County Court.

Missing for 13 Days

Miss Kramer had been missing since Aug. 15, 1972, when she walked out of her home at 65 Crest Drive, South Orange, N. J., after a quarrel with her fiancé, a medical student at Columbia University.

She had walked about a mile to the center of the South Orange business district, according to the police, and then called a girlfriend about midnight to say that she was going to get a taxi to take her home.

Witnesses had reported, however, that they had seen a man in an automobile drive up to her at Sloan Street and South Orange Avenue and offer her a ride.

She had been missing for 13 days when two youths found her body in Elizabeth River Park in Union. An autopsy indicated that she had been strangled.

Mr. Mautone said yesterday that detectives from his office and the South Orange police began watching Mr. Nilson last summer When they became convinced that he resembled the composite sketch of the man identified by witnesses as the motorist who had given Miss Kramer a ride. He said that Mr. Nilson, who was divorced, lived alone.

Miss Kramer was the daughter of Julian Kramer, president of Suburban Foods, Inc., and the Tanteff Beef Company. Her death had led to an intensive investigation by the South Orange police as well as by the Essex County and Union Coun‐i ty Prosecutors’ offices."

Cases New Jersey Girl Murders 1960-1980

Accountant Freed in '72 South Orange Murder
NEWARK, July 16 (UPI)—Otto N. Nilson, an accountant charged with strangling a wealthy South Orange woman, was found not guilty of murder in Superior Court here today.

The jurors, who had deliberated for two days, returned the verdict shortly after 3 P.M.

Mr. Nilson, 41 years old, of Maplewood, was charged with strangling Joan Kramer, a 24‐year‐old graduate student at Columbia University who disappeared on Aug. 15, 1972, and whose body was found face down in a ditch in Union Township three weeks later.

John Cleary, a state public defender, had called the case a desperate attempt to convict Otto Nilson.” he said the state's star witness was “dangerously mistaken” when she positively identified the defendant.

The witness, Mary Colato of South Orange, testified she saw Mr. Nilson pick up a woman on the night Miss Kramer disappeared.

Miss Kramer was the daughter of a food executive, Julian Kramer. Mr. Nilson is an accountant who formerly taught Sunday school. He has five children and is divorced."

TAPES SUBMITTED IN KRAMER CASE
August 31, 1972, Page 37
"SOUTH ORANGE, N. J., Aug. 30—Tape recordings reputed to contain the voice of a man who extorted money from the family of Joan Kramer have been turned over to the Essex County Prosecutor's office by the slain girl's brother, a police official confirmed today.

The dead girl's father, Julian Kramer, president of Suburban Foods, Inc., and the Tantleff Beef Company, refused to comment on the existence of the tapes. The brother, Orin, who made the recordings, told newsmen yesterday that he would let them listen to one conversation today, but later he changed his mind,

Just how important the tapes are to the murder case remains to be seen. Police officials still have not concluded that 24‐year‐old Miss Kramer was kidnapped, and the prevailing theory is that the man Mr. Kramer said called him on the telephone several times and eventually extorted a $17,000 payment was just a criminal opportunist."

"The Union County park police were checking reports by residents of the area that they had heard a woman screaming several nights ago. One rumor said a frantic woman was seen trying to flee from an auto on Salem Road, about a mile from the ditch."

"She later telephoned a girlfriend to tell her she was on her way home. She said she was calling from “a deserted street in Newark,” but a police check revealed that the call had been made from a telephone booth behind an ice cream parlor on South Orange Avenue, a mile from her home."

This for some reason reminds me of Richard Cottingham. I guess because it's New Jersey

It seems that some people think she was killed by the same person who killed Jeanette Depalma...The way the body was arranged is strange...

Murderpedia FB post about a book written about the murders...Sounds like this was during the satanic scare craze....

Ms Kramer was found in Union Township, Union NJ along the Elizabeth River where it borders Hillside NJ. I was about twelve at the time. We would fish for the large carp in the river by dangling dough balls off the Salem road bridge. We had a rope swing up river where we would swim. I was back there the day she was discovered. Its still stuck in my mind.

Ms Kramer was found in Union Township, Union NJ along the Elizabeth River where it borders Hillside NJ. I was about twelve at the time. We would fish for the large carp in the river by dangling dough balls off the Salem road bridge. We had a rope swing up river where we would swim. I was back there the day she was discovered. Its still stuck in my mind.

Hi Boker - I am researching the Kramer case and drove past the Salem Road Bridge last week. There was a small clearing just northwest of the the bridge where a car could park (there is a small dam just north of bridge here). Is this where Joan's body was found?

Hi Boker - I am researching the Kramer case and drove past the Salem Road Bridge last week. There was a small clearing just northwest of the the bridge where a car could park (there is a small dam just north of bridge here). Is this where Joan's body was found?
Welcome to Ws GThorn and to Boker, thanks for chiming in!
This is the thread for Joan, hope you will continue to post there on her behalf..
NJ - Joan Kramer, 24, Columbia University student,Union Township, found nude&strangled, 15 August 1972

Last edited:
Elizabeth River Park, north of Salem Road Bridge. (sorry image posted upside down)

Attachments

• IMG_1331.JPG
    IMG_1331.JPG
    253.3 KB · Views: 10

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads